Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 09:25:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments  (Read 13026 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »

Yet if a Republican made comments like these Democrats would be demanding their resignation immediately.

Probably. It would still be disingenuous and stupid like it is now.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »

Former Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA) was able to succinctly describe the AIPAC problem without (to my knowledge) being decried as an antisemite:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting piece. Kudos to Baird for sidestepping the third rail.
Goes to show the advantages of a concise article over a tweet which could easily be misconstrued.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »

Yet if a Republican made comments like these Democrats would be demanding their resignation immediately.

Few if any demanded McCarthy's resignation when he promoted that loaded as hell "liberal Jewish billionaires are trying to take over the government" ad.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2019, 11:42:10 AM »

Well this discourse is all weirdly familiar. Welcome to Hell.

Sympathize with the sentiment, but do you have anything to add?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2019, 11:43:21 AM »

Some clever representative on either side who's tired of this racist BS should offer up a joint resolution expelling Ilhan Omar and Steve King from the House of Representatives for their unambiguously racist comments.

See who objects.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »

Some clever representative on either side who's tired of this racist BS should offer up a joint resolution expelling Ilhan Omar and Steve King from the House of Representatives for their unambiguously racist comments.

See who objects.

King's comments aren't even remotely comparable to Omar's. Just for consistency though, I don't think either should be impeached for their comments.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »

Antisemitism these days is very strong among the Muslim immigrant crowd, especially among those from the most backwards regions like Somalia, AfPak, Iraq etc.

No surprise.

OK this is bad even by your standards.

Mmmhwhat ?

It's common knowledge that Muslim immigrants from these backwards, highly religious failed states are amongst the sharpest antisemites around.

There are studies out of Europe that show Muslim immigrants have already passed actual Neo-Nazis in antisemitic crimes in several countries (such as France) ...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »

Antisemitism these days is very strong among the Muslim immigrant crowd, especially among those from the most backwards regions like Somalia, AfPak, Iraq etc.

No surprise.

Mmmhwhat ?

It's common knowledge that Muslim immigrants from these backwards, highly religious failed states are amongst the sharpest antisemites around.

There are studies out of Europe that show Muslim immigrants have already passed actual Neo-Nazis in antisemitic crimes in several countries (such as France) ...

Just like it's "common knowledge" hispanics are criminal, blacks are lazy, and jews are greedy. Roll Eyes
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2019, 01:44:01 PM »

No surprise.

Mmmhwhat ?

Just like it's "common knowledge" hispanics are criminal, blacks are lazy, and jews are greedy. Roll Eyes

Silly comment.

There are actual studies that show Muslim immigrants import additional anti-semitism to Europe and the US.

Here is one:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254431.msg5780813#msg5780813
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »

Few if any demanded McCarthy's resignation when he promoted that loaded as hell "liberal Jewish billionaires are trying to take over the government" ad.

Attacking George Soros is far different than attacking a Jewish Organization which works bipartisanship to make sure Israel remains safe and secure .

I know many people who hate George Soros , and not only are they not anti-Semitic they are very much against people who are. George Soros is hated because he is one of the top contributors to the Democratic Party along with many other liberal parties and  causes around the world   , and gets no more hate from Republicans in general than the Koch Brithers get from Democrats in general .

Attacking a Jewish Organization which works bipartisanaly to make sure Israel remains safe and secure at the very least is Anti-Semitic
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »

Attacking George Soros is far different than attacking a Jewish Organization which works bipartisanship to make sure Israel remains safe and secure .

I know many people who hate George Soros , and not only are they not anti-Semitic they are very much against people who are. George Soros is hated because he is one of the top contributors to the Democratic Party along with many other liberal parties and  causes around the world   , and gets no more hate from Republicans in general than the Koch Brithers get from Democrats in general .

Attacking a Jewish Organization which works bipartisanaly to make sure Israel remains safe and secure at the very least is Anti-Semitic

Tend to agree with OSR here. With George Soros, it depends on whether you attack him because of his ideology/the candidates he donates to, or because he is a Jew. The latter is not acceptable, of course. The first should be fine as long as constructive criticism.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:07 PM »

Tend to agree with OSR here. With George Soros, it depends on whether you attack him because of his ideology/the candidates he donates to, or because he is a Jew. The latter is not acceptable, of course. The first should be fine as long as constructive criticism.

Singling out Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg as a unit is pretty dog-whistle-y, though.

Still not the bullhorn that was Omar's comments.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2019, 02:41:58 PM »

Singling out Soros, Steyer, and Bloomberg as a unit is pretty dog-whistle-y, though.

Still not the bullhorn that was Omar's comments.

Dog whistling to who? People who know who those people are and know that they are Jewish and view that as a bad thing are like 0.01% of the population.

As much as Democrats fantasize about it, neo-Nazis and anti-Semites are neither a major chunk of the population nor the Republican Party base.

The Republican Party base probably includes a lot of people who are casually racist towards Blacks and Hispanics but anti-Semitism is extremely rare. Most racists aren't racist towards Jews because Jews look and act white.

Omar reaction proves this even more, Republicans are more angry about Omar slightly criticizing the Israel lobby than they are about her committing immigration fraud. Republicans generally love Jews.

Yes, there are some some white reactionary anti-Semities but they are not numerous enough to justify spending the money to "dog whistle" to.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »

What exactly is casual racism?

Is that like casual Fridays?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »

Attempting to contribute to these sorts of threads in a reasonable and measured way feels sort of like playing one of those party games where you have to stack things or hang things off of each other in such a way as to reverse course whenever the structure starts toppling on one side. I'm not sure which are worse, Israel threads or abortion threads. Funnily enough, those are the two issues that a certain infamously dysfunctional DSA chapter expelled a friend of mine for wrongthink about a couple years back.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »

Attempting to contribute to these sorts of threads in a reasonable and measured way feels sort of like playing one of those party games where you have to stack things or hang things off of each other in such a way as to reverse course whenever the structure starts toppling on one side. I'm not sure which are worse, Israel threads or abortion threads. Funnily enough, those are the two issues that a certain infamously dysfunctional DSA chapter expelled a friend of mine for wrongthink about a couple years back.

Are you going to comment on every thread today to tell people how smart you are for not having opinions/never defending them?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

Are you going to comment on every thread today to tell people how smart you are for not having opinions/never defending them?

Nathan has plenty of opinions, just like you. The never defending them part is more your style though. not Nathan's.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »

Calling someone anti-Semitic (or racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. for that matter) is a great way to end a conversation. There is no response that person could give to satisfactorily counter your point because you can't prove a negative. Anything you say will inevitably come up short, so you'll just end the conversation there. It's even easier online when you're not interacting as a normal conversation.

If you think something someone has said is anti-Semitic, it's up to you to show them why it offends you, or I can guarantee nobody will listen to what you have to say. People will understand the impact their words have better when they can link it to a specific person's experiences. Even though I don't really know any Atlasians in person, I know that I would consider how someone on here would take what I'm saying if I understood their reason for reacting so strongly to something. It's a way of personalizing something that very few, if any Atlasians have actual personal experience with, and is largely a theoretical debate between political factions, rather than a personal debate between individuals.

I’m still a little floored by how perfectly and effortlessly DavidB demonstrated this response mechanism towards me last night.  The content of my post was completely irrelevant to him; the key part was that my phrasing resembled (in his mind) something the Nazis would say.  Conclusion: I’m antisemitic.

It’s one of the most frustrating elements of discussing AIPAC.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »

You know, there's another member of the Minnesota congressional delegation who's been publicly critical of AIPAC in the past, coming from the other side of the river in St. Paul.

Wonder why her name doesn't get brought up.

because she's white
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »

Yes.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »

As someone who is from Somalia, lived in a refugee camp as a child and emigrated and was naturalised in the States she has a unique lived experience, something that I think, alongside her faith is an experience that very few people can understand, I think she can be forgiven for being passionate, perhaps even flippant. She's not and never will view Israel the way that the body-politic of pro-Israeli US politics. I don't think she's anti-semitic for the same reason people dragged her for being homophobic for a contorted interpretation of her comments about Graham. She's apologised; think of it as a 'teaching moment.' I don't see the need to chew on this for another news cycle.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2019, 06:08:01 PM »

Wait a minute. Now we're not talking about whether criticisms of the targets are anti-semitic or not based on the content of said attacks, but based on which targets one politically supports more. That is completely bass-ackwards. An attack is anti-Semitic based on what it says and seeks to communicate. That holds true whether the target is Chuck Schumer or the guy that killed Yitzhak Rabin.

And FYI, aipac largely seeks to push Israeli colonization of the Westbank under the guise of a purported two-state solution. The I and many other Americans don't consider them particularly admirable at all.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »

Can you self-fellating hacks PLEASE shut the hell up about Which Party Has More Antisemites??? Whichever party it's coming from, it's not acceptable. And yes, there's a difference between observing that Israel has an unusually powerful policy lobby in the United States and claiming that Those People have wholesale "bought" our political leadership, which is what Omar is doing.
Agreed. I think Omar should resign from the Foreign Policy committee.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2019, 06:17:34 PM »

Just from a duty of care perspective someone needs to change her twitter password and enforce a ban on all media contact that doesn't directly concern her district, at least for a little while. She is plainly not ready for prime time and just can't help herself: it's like watching an Atlas poster suddenly thrown into the limelight.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »

At least in the future, I know what to expect when Omar or someone like her makes similar comments. People on here will invent all kinds of excuses to cover up for those words. It also amazes me how people on here have an irrational hatred of AIPAC, as if it is the enemy here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies