Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:19:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments  (Read 12652 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »

I'm pro-Israel so I disagree with Omar's politics but I don't see what's anti-Semitic about saying that pro-Israel lobbying groups lobby for Israel. No one is able to explain the mechanics of why it is. They just go "wow, just wow".

It's more the idea that pro-Israel lobbyists (many of whom are in fact Jewish) have some sort of disproportionate and malignant influence over the US government, and that the so-called Israel Lobby is uniquely powerful and responsible for say, terrible US military interventionism in the Middle East.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »

"anti-Semitic"

Found the AIPAC member.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2019, 09:52:46 PM »

Just imagine if Israeli influence on US elections was treated the same way as Russian influence.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

Just imagine if Israeli influence on US elections was treated the same way as Russian influence.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:35 PM »

Today has certainly been illustrative about just how many progbros were simply waiting for the moment antisemitism became semi-socially acceptable again to let their hate flag fly.

They've likely created countless pro-Israel Jews today. When it's clear that anything but full-throated defense of antisemites will unleash an antisemitic hate mob against you, there's really no need to compromise.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:16 PM »

Today has certainly been illustrative about just how many progbros were simply waiting for the moment antisemitism became semi-socially acceptable again to let their hate flag fly.

They've likely created countless pro-Israel Jews today. When it's clear that anything but full-throated defense of antisemites will unleash an antisemitic hate mob against you, there's really no need to compromise.

It's also revealed to me the extent to which Israel is despised on this forum, and also, how many are willing to cover for comments such as these ones made by Omar.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:08 PM »

It's also revealed to me the extent to which Israel is despised on this forum, and also, how many are willing to cover for comments such as these ones made by Omar.

Literally, how is what she said in any way anti-Semitic? By recognising that AIPAC lobbies for a pro-Israel agenda by funding politicians through PACs to do their bidding, which is something they unabashedly do? I swear to God, the amount of outrage politics and moralising coming from both sides of the spectrum on this forum is depressing.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:04 PM »

Literally, how is what she said in any way anti-Semitic? By recognising that AIPAC lobbies for a pro-Israel agenda by funding politicians through PACs to do their bidding, which is something they unabashedly do? I swear to God, the amount of outrage politics and moralising coming from both sides of the spectrum on this forum is depressing.

If we're going to talk about AIPAC, why are not talking about any of the pro-Arab lobbying groups? The focus seems to have been squarely placed upon this particular organization, one that, from what I gather, exercises far less influence then has been supposed. And making a suggestion that AIPAC exercises disproportionate political influence, in this kind of manner, leads us down the path to other, far worse charges.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »

If we're going to talk about AIPAC, why are not talking about any of the pro-Arab lobbying groups? The focus seems to have been squarely placed upon this particular organization, one that, from what I gather, exercises far less influence then has been supposed. And making a suggestion that AIPAC exercises disproportionate political influence, in this kind of manner, leads us down the path to other, far worse charges.

The reason why I'm not talking about it is because this thread is obviously about Omar's comments regarding AIPAC. At any rate, the Arab lobby in the United States is powerless and virtually non-existent when compared to the Israel lobby. I mean seriously, there's no comparison. Nobody but Dershowitz thinks the Arab lobby has any power in America. AIPAC alone has a revenue of nearly $78 billion dollars. I'd be surprised if the entire Arab lobby has even a hundredth of that. The Israel lobby in this country actually has a co-ordinated and formal structure which is exceptionally influential in legislation, probably more so than any other lobbyist group in America.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »

Antisemitism these days is very strong among the Muslim immigrant crowd, especially among those from the most backwards regions like Somalia, AfPak, Iraq etc.

No surprise.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »

Antisemitism these days is very strong among the Muslim immigrant crowd, especially among those from the most backwards regions like Somalia, AfPak, Iraq etc.

No surprise.

OK this is bad even by your standards.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 12:29:23 AM »

This thread is probably a sh**tshow like every thread on the issue, because most Atlas leftists would do anything to excuse their ideological brethern of antisemitism. So I won't reply to any of that, except say that I don't accept Ilhan's apology about this. No, her first instinct was to retweet people defending her and go the "look at my Jew over there!" route by retweeting Jews who don't care about antisemitism. She only apologized after decent Democrats like Max Rose and Nancy Pelosi attacked her comments, so I believe she doesn't care about people like me and has no moral compass until she proves me otherwise.

On point, as usual.

Trampling a minority community for a joke? Ridiculing an experience of genocide and persecution that was caused partly by stereotypes parroted by the congresswoman they were trying to defend? I ususally love the Onion, which is why this offends me so much- but I guess leftists only care when certain minorities are offended. F**k them this time.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 12:39:30 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:13:24 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

This thread is probably a sh**tshow like every thread on the issue, because most Atlas leftists would do anything to excuse their ideological brethern of antisemitism. So I won't reply to any of that, except say that I don't accept Ilhan's apology about this. No, her first instinct was to retweet people defending her and go the "look at my Jew over there!" route by retweeting Jews who don't care about antisemitism. She only apologized after decent Democrats like Max Rose and Nancy Pelosi attacked her comments, so I believe she doesn't care about people like me and has no moral compass until she proves me otherwise.

On point, as usual.

Trampling a minority community for a joke? Ridiculing an experience of genocide and persecution that was caused partly by stereotypes parroted by the congresswoman they were trying to defend? I ususally love the Onion, which is why this offends me so much- but I guess leftists only care when certain minorities are offended. F**k them this time.

Spare me the indignation. No one is trampling a minority community, and no joke should be off-limits because it "offends" certain people, minority or otherwise. ...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 12:39:48 AM »

On point, as usual.

I agree with the first half of your post, but I have to ask on the second part, where do you think this latent anti-semitism from the rank-and-file bourgeois center-left comes from? Is it something they're taught? A reaction to some specific event? Just a lack of awareness of what the impact of their words are?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 12:42:40 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:14:03 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

On point, as usual.

Spare me the indignation. No one is trampling a minority community, and no joke should be off-limits because it "offends" certain people, minority or otherwise. ...

Israel is doing terrible things to Palestinians, ergo antisemitism doesn't exist?

Lefties like you who don't give two rats about any antisemitism (sorry, my mistake- it can't be antisemitism, it's "antizionism") are a dime a dozen. Spare us your kabuki theatre act of trying to present yourself as the reasonable voice in this, or perhaps better, any, discussion.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 12:45:01 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:14:36 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

On point, as usual.

Your ilk is usually better at this, but thanks for firmly exposing the fact that you don't hate Israel, you hate all Jews.

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 12:48:32 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:14:50 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

On point, as usual.

Israel is doing terrible things to Palestinians, ergo antisemitism doesn't exist?

Lefties like you who don't give two rats about any antisemitism (sorry, my mistake- it can't be antisemitism, it's "antizionism") are a dime a dozen. Spare us your kabuki theatre act of trying to present yourself as the reasonable voice in this, or perhaps better, any, discussion.

Once again, where is the anti-Semitism in Omar's comments? I'll criticise anti-Semitism when it's actually there to be criticised, but many on this board, much like the ADL, seem to think that anything less than pandering to Israel is a form of anti-Semitism.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2019, 12:51:30 AM »

Once again, where is the anti-Semitism in Omar's comments? I'll criticise anti-Semitism when it's actually there to be criticised, but many on this board, much like the ADL, seem to think that anything less than pandering to Israel is a form of anti-Semitism.

Very subtle there buckaroo.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2019, 12:56:51 AM »

Very subtle there buckaroo.

Thanks for the sarcasm, but it obviously wasn't meant to be subtle. The Anti-Defamation League has entirely lost its focus on civil rights and has become an unofficial mouthpiece for Israel, attempting to smear all opponents of Israeli policy as either anti-Semites or self-hating Jews.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2019, 02:05:55 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:15:09 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

On point, as usual.

When Parrotguy refers to "an experience of genocide and persecution" he's obviously referring to past events like the Holocaust, pogroms, Khmelnytsky Uprising, etc., not necessarily to something ongoing. He even uses the word "was", which is a past-tense copula. If you'd still rather "not hear a word about" this, then that's your business, but you're not helping your case for not being antisemitic.

On a side note, I was reading a while back about the nation of Mauritania's complete failure to lift a finger to stop the practice of slavery beyond a nominal, all-but-unenforced legal ban (similar to Japan's not-even-trying nominal bans on things like whaling, prostitution, and loli pornography, only worse since it's literally slavery), and apparently a favorite tactic of the Mauritanian government when criticized for this is to claim that it's a distraction from the crimes of Israel. Food for thought.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2019, 02:13:47 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 06:15:48 AM by Associate Justice PiT »

On point, as usual.

When Parrotguy refers to "an experience of genocide and persecution" he's obviously referring to past events like the Holocaust, pogroms, Khmelnytsky Uprising, etc., not necessarily to something ongoing. He even uses the word "was", which is a past-tense copula. If you'd still rather "not hear a word about" this, then that's your business, but you're not helping your case for not being antisemitic.

On a side note, I was reading a while back about the nation of Mauritania's complete failure to lift a finger to stop the practice of slavery beyond a nominal, all-but-unenforced legal ban (similar to Japan's not-even-trying nominal bans on things like whaling, prostitution, and loli pornography, only worse since it's literally slavery), and apparently a favorite tactic of the Mauritanian government when criticized for this is to claim that it's a distraction from the crimes of Israel. Food for thought.

I know he was referring to the Holocaust. The fact of the matter is, though, is that Jews are not currently being stripped of their human rights anywhere near the extent the Palestinians are in their own homeland, and digging up historical examples of Jewish persecution doesn't do anyone any good. Pardon me if I'm more apt to find an ongoing example of an indigenous people under military occupation being denied their right to self-determination, in blatant violation of international law, more worthy of my attention than events which transpired some sixty or seventy years since.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #121 on: February 12, 2019, 02:16:15 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2019, 02:19:57 AM by Trounce-'em Theresa »

Jews are not currently being stripped of their human rights anywhere near the extent the Palestinians are in their own homeland,

I suppose it is the case that the numerous Middle Eastern countries that have expelled their entire Jewish populations as a function of miscellaneous Arab nationalist projects aren't technically oppressing them at the moment, no.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2019, 02:33:06 AM »

Jews are not currently being stripped of their human rights anywhere near the extent the Palestinians are in their own homeland,

I suppose it is the case that the numerous Middle Eastern countries that have expelled their entire Jewish populations as a function of miscellaneous Arab nationalist projects aren't technically oppressing them at the moment, no.

If the Palestinians had only been merely expelled from their homeland, then the long list of crimes of Israel towards the Palestinians would be cut significantly shorter. Of course, the Palestinians have had to endure quite a bit more.

Here are the facts of the matter. The United Nations and the international community generally, headed by the United States, has recognised the legitimacy of the State of Israel and decries those who don't recognise it; Israel, meanwhile, has refused to recognise a Palestinian state, saying (until very recently I believe) they had "no need of one", because they already had Jordan, which Israel (as well as the United States) apparently thought sufficient, something grossly offensive to Palestine. Meanwhile, the brutal colonial apartheid Israeli regime has refused to grant even the most basic democratic rights to the Palestinians and continuing to occupy their land by force, all the while being breastfed by the dominant world hegemony.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2019, 02:36:23 AM »

If the Palestinians had only been merely expelled from their homeland, then the long list of crimes of Israel towards the Palestinians would be cut significantly shorter. Of course, the Palestinians have had to endure quite a bit more.

I have no idea how to respond to this point in a way that won't violate the terms of service. I'll pray for you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:04 AM »

I have no idea how to respond to this point in a way that won't violate the terms of service. I'll pray for you.

This is prudent. I've already reported a couple of posts here for personal attacks in labelling other users as anti-Semites.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies