Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:49:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Poll
Question: ?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 210

Author Topic: Should Ralph Shearer Northam resign as governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia?  (Read 10394 times)
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »

I suggest that Northam leave the Democratic Party and declare himself an Independent.  He's done nothing wrong as Governor.  He's committed no impeachable offenses.

Gov. Ralph Northam (I-VA).

I say, let it happen.

I don't know. I heard he supported the murder of untold numbers of babies. Tongue

I'm not a Northam fan by any means, and certainly not on the abortion issue.

He'd never be accepted by the GOP, and rightly so, but that's because his opinion on a core issue is the polar opposite of the GOP's position.

This, to me, is an issue of perspective.  And, if he chooses to say, of Separation of Powers.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2019, 11:46:30 AM »

Yesterday, I was just disappointed with whole situation. However, now since he's trying to back track has made me angry. He NEEDS to resign today, no exception or excuse.

He's a f**king clown.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »

I suggest that Northam leave the Democratic Party and declare himself an Independent.  He's done nothing wrong as Governor.  He's committed no impeachable offenses.

Gov. Ralph Northam (I-VA).

I say, let it happen.

And how does he get anything done? If you don't have backing from either political party, you just can't govern effectively. Not my understanding of public service.

That point is well-taken.  I agree with it to the extent that I understand the political realities of the present moment.

Perhaps such a situation (a D House, an R Senate and an I Governor) would force all concerned to actually consider public policy on the merits.  That, of course, may be more overly-high aiming for me, so I'm willing to concede that you're probably right.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »

He should resign, he isn't owed the Governorship. This image is hurtful and trivializes what was America's worst terrorist group. A group who's sole purpose and function was to destroy Black progress in business, politics, and equality.
This. The white men in this thread pontificating about people changing and this “not being a crime” is SICKENING.

I am not a white male
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »

He should resign, he isn't owed the Governorship. This image is hurtful and trivializes what was America's worst terrorist group. A group who's sole purpose and function was to destroy Black progress in business, politics, and equality.
This. The white men in this thread pontificating about people changing and this “not being a crime” is SICKENING.

I am not a white male

You’re alt-white.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »

I am not a white male

You’re alt-white.

This, from a guy who once had a sig that was a Picture of Grover Cleveland with a Theodore Roosevelt quote that he attributed to William Howard Taft, lol.   Wink
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »

I am not a white male

You’re alt-white.

This, from a guy who once had a sig that was a Picture of Grover Cleveland with a Theodore Roosevelt quote that he attributed to William Howard Taft, lol.   Wink

Timmy does great work.
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2019, 03:00:59 PM »

Ralph Northam is at this point trying to make me, who was defending him, call for his resignation.

If you make a statement, you better make sure it's true the first time before contradicting yourself.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2019, 03:05:20 PM »

Any chance he had of surviving this was set on fire during this press conference.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »

IF he had said the first time, it wasn't him in photo and he doesn't know how they ended up in the medical school yearbook, it would have worked, true or not, because it's believable that one wouldn't even give the slightest rats ass about a med school yearbook, but the whole contortionist thing is killing him.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2019, 03:28:04 PM »

After the press conference I’m leaning towards yes now
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »

Why are we automatically assuming that blackface, no matter the context, is racist?

His med school nickname was "coonman" and the man in blackface was posing next someone wearing a Klan hood. How dense can you get?

His quote below the picture says "There are more old drunks than old doctors in this world so I think I'll have another beer". It's obvious this was done for humour, albeit in poor taste, and as someone else pointed out he doesn't have anything in his record that demonstrates an aversion towards black people or would otherwise lead us to characterise him as a racist.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »

Can someone elaborate on what was so cringeworthy about the press conference?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »

I'm honestly torn on this. That was a complete b******* move that he was old enough in 1984 to understand was completely unacceptable. On the other hand, it was 30 bloody six years later. I would like to hear his input as to how he has changed in those 36 years. If, for rent example, he denied it ever occurred and blamed it on the opposition party for his own actions, like say a certain Supreme Court Justice, I would say resigned tomorrow. If however he explained openly and convincingly like Archie Parnell about what a loser drunk he was forty some years earlier and how he changed the grace of God in a marriage to a wonderful woman who approved him as a person oh, I'd be okay with it. So I wouldn't want him to run for reelection.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »

Haven't followed the story, but whatever stupid thing anybody does in their youth shouldn't really have any bearing on whether they can hold political office several decades later. So without knowing much about this story, I will give a preliminary "no" answer.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2019, 03:50:52 PM »

I'm honestly torn on this. That was a complete b******* move that he was old enough in 1984 to understand was completely unacceptable. On the other hand, it was 30 bloody six years later. I would like to hear his input as to how he has changed in those 36 years. If, for rent example, he denied it ever occurred and blamed it on the opposition party for his own actions, like say a certain Supreme Court Justice, I would say resigned tomorrow. If however he explained openly and convincingly like Archie Parnell about what a loser drunk he was forty some years earlier and how he changed the grace of God in a marriage to a wonderful woman who approved him as a person oh, I'd be okay with it. So I wouldn't want him to run for reelection.
VA law prohibits it anyway.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2019, 03:53:13 PM »

Just read about him not resigning. Barring the about 1 in 50 chance he's telling the truth and that's naturally not him. I understand he admitted to it yesterday, he absolutely positively unquestionably needs to go
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »

Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:19 PM »

In addition while saying he wasn't in the photo on his yearbook page he did the following:

Admitted to wearing blackface in 1984 to dress up as Michael Jackson for a dance contest

and had no idea where he got the nickname Coonman

Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2019, 04:38:49 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 04:53:36 PM by Howard Schultz Venti Venti »

“Inappropriate circumstances heheh”

Yeah, that’s not making him look like he’s much of a better person. :/

Edit: The context of the moonwalking comment is... not good.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2019, 05:44:29 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 05:50:35 PM by Great Again: The Caveman Presidency »

Yeah... since Northam handled this thing in the worst possible manner with increasingly ridiculous apologies, explanations, and justifications it's time for him to go. Who the hell is Northam's PR advisor? Or has he just become resistant against any advice?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2019, 06:00:39 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 08:03:07 PM by ilikeverin »

Haven't followed the story, but whatever stupid thing anybody does in their youth shouldn't really have any bearing on whether they can hold political office several decades later. So without knowing much about this story, I will give a preliminary "no" answer.

I think calling someone who's 25 a "youth" is a bit of a misnomer.  Although, as was also pointed out, nobody cares, remotely, about college yearbooks, let alone grad school ones... but, as was also pointed out, Northam's story has changed so much that this reasonable defense ("I had no idea what was in there") is completely out the window.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »

Yes, 25 is definitely NOT a "youth," especially by 1980s standards.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2019, 06:54:43 PM »

I'm against it on principle, since it just means adding hot air as a means to fight fire instead of fire (which can work) or water (which should be used, but clearly no longer exists in this political landscape).

However, the conduct of Northam since has been nothing less of Fremdschamen.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 08:02:47 PM by SteveRogers »

Okay, yeah, he needs to resign. I said I’d reserve judgement until I could see how Northam handled his apology tour, and well... the “im not saying I did it, but if I did it, I apologize” apology shouldn’t have any place in our current political discourse.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies