Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:24:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 69979 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:48 PM »

If the allegations against Fairfax prove to be true he can go. But clear and proven racism is far and away worse than allegations of a possibility that something MIGHT have happened.

That “something” was rape.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #851 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »

If Fairfax is innocent there's nothing wrong with what he said about the lady! If she accused him of something he didn't due she's a disgusting human being and should be sued for libel!!!!!!
That being said, the tweet scrubbing seems desperate, so I can't really say I'm as confident as I was before of his innocence. I'll keep an open mind now.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #852 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:50 PM »

If the allegations against Fairfax prove to be true he can go. But clear and proven racism is far and away worse than allegations of a possibility that something MIGHT have happened.

good luck proving it happened. Like I said, proven racism is worse than unproven rape.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #853 on: February 06, 2019, 04:08:31 PM »

Who said that blackface is okay? Just pointing out that there's an obvious gradient of racism here.

The implication that there is a massive difference between poor judgment 19 and 25 is stupid. Obviously, with age should come better judgment, but it doesn't make sense that a middle-aged man can explain away a mistake made at 19 while they cannot explain away a mistake made at 25. It's not as if Northam did this last week, or even 5 years ago.

Hence, the cognitive dissonance.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #854 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:05 PM »

good luck proving it happened. Like I said, proven racism is worse than unproven rape.

Incredible logic Socrates.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #855 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »

It's good he's coming out and apologizing for it. Northam could have survived unscathed had he not bungled his response.

That would be a shame b/c Northam’s klan photo is much worse than this and definitely warrants Northam’s resignation. 
Herring voted to ban gay marriage in 2006 in Virginia.  He not only did something very offensive to LGBT folks but he helped codify a vicious discriminatory policy into the state constitution.

You cannot possibly expect me to overlook this even though he also decided not to defend the gay marriage ban later on.  He should have known by 2006 that banning gay marriage was incredibly wrong.  Other states had already legalized it!

This was 2006 FFS, not 1980 or 1984.  And the man was well beyond the age where you could just chock it up to "youthful homophobia".

So... all of them should go.  They are all monsters.  Virginia can have a government run by monster appointed stand ins.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #856 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »

I hope there is a recording of this. Fairfax has got to go.

No, not at all. This was investigated by an impartial body who determined that the story she told wasn't true. So she then went to a right wing site eager to take down the statewide Democrats in Virginia. Fairfax should slap her with a lawsuit for libel and defamation.
BELIEVE ALL WOMUHN

I've been against the MeToo crap since it appeared in the form of Obama's campus rape kangaroo kourts. If you were raped, go to the police. This woman sucked a guy's d*** in 2004 and now she's screaming rape to a right wing propaganda site to try and destroy him.

OMG! You are as bad as, or even worse, and most of the right-wingers who slandered Professor Ford over Kavanaugh. This is disgusting.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #857 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:29 PM »

There IS a huge difference though. "Mental puberty" ends LONG after physical puberty. The brain's development continues well into the 20s and doesn't complete until around 25.

A 19-year old is still a teenager and mentally hardly any different from teenagers who are still minors. A 25-year old is mentally a fully developed adult.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #858 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »

Tbf you do seem like the type of person who would find black face hilarious
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #859 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:49 PM »

Who said that blackface is okay? Just pointing out that there's an obvious gradient of racism here.

The implication that there is a massive difference between poor judgment 19 and 25 is stupid. Obviously, with age should come better judgment, but it doesn't make sense that a middle-aged man can explain away a mistake made at 19 while they cannot explain away a mistake made at 25. It's not as if Northam did this last week, or even 5 years ago.

Forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but the biggest difference here I see is the governor denied this stuff with little credibility, whereas herring admitted it right up front.

I'm not pleased with what these idiots did in their college days 30 years ago, but I'm much more concerned about their character or lack thereof in 2019
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #860 on: February 06, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »

Tbf you do seem like the type of person who would find black face hilarious

You quoted yourself. I would recommend tech support so you can avoid these future inconveniences.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #861 on: February 06, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »

I agree, which is why I didn't say that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #862 on: February 06, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »

Unless one of the two sides presents some kind of evidence I don't see how anyone can claim to know what the truth is.

Everything Fairfax has done suggests he did what he’s been accused of.  Fairfax needs to go even if it means Republicans pick up all three statewide offices.

Except they won't. Herring isn't resigning. But Fairfax absolutely needs to go.

Sure, but my point is priority number one is getting rid of Fairfax.

Your racism is showing

The Med School Klan photo was nowhere near as bad as Fairfax having likely forced himself on a woman.  Both are bad enough to warrant a resignation, but rape, attempted rape, and sexual assault are all far worse than a photo from when a middle aged man was 25 which everyone agrees likely no longer reflects his views.  If you consider that thought process to be racist; that’s your problem.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #863 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

Unless one of the two sides presents some kind of evidence I don't see how anyone can claim to know what the truth is.
A testimony = evidence. Get with the program.

You know how dangerous an idea that is right?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #864 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »

Forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but the biggest difference here I see is the governor denied this stuff with little credibility, whereas herring admitted it right up front.

I'm not pleased with what these idiots did in their college days 30 years ago, but I'm much more concerned about their character or lack thereof in 2019

This is kinda where I’m at right now, but I’m gonna pray on it tonight to make sure I’m not being too easy on Herring.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #865 on: February 06, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »

Everything Fairfax has done suggests he did what he’s been accused of.  Fairfax needs to go even if it means Republicans pick up all three statewide offices.

Your racism is showing

The Med School Klan photo was nowhere near as bad as Fairfax having likely forced himself on a woman.  Both are bad enough to warrant a resignation, but rape, attempted rape, and sexual assault are all far worse than a photo from when a middle aged man was 25 which everyone agrees likely no longer reflects his views.  If you consider that thought process to be racist; that’s your problem.

"Likely" forced himself isn't proof. Anyone can be accused of rape for any reason, only a racist dresses in blackface.

#believewomen. Especially emmitt till's accuser.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #866 on: February 06, 2019, 04:17:21 PM »

Your racism is showing

The Med School Klan photo was nowhere near as bad as Fairfax having likely forced himself on a woman.  Both are bad enough to warrant a resignation, but rape, attempted rape, and sexual assault are all far worse than a photo from when a middle aged man was 25 which everyone agrees likely no longer reflects his views.  If you consider that thought process to be racist; that’s your problem.

Serious arguments don’t work on Horus. You’re better off teaching a blind man to drive.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #867 on: February 06, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »

Northam is a grade A moron and a (former?) racist.

Fairfax, if true, is a monster.

No comparison.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #868 on: February 06, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »

No comparison.

This
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #869 on: February 06, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »

No comparison.

The "if true" caveat only applies to Fairfax, but due to his skin color the #metoo neolibs have already convicted him.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #870 on: February 06, 2019, 04:24:05 PM »

Yes, I agree.

Kind of similar to how I am more disappointed in Elizabeth Warren's DNA test stunt that she did as a US Senator aged 69, more than what she did in her 20s and 30s as a young lawyer who sometimes identified as "American Indian" based on "family stories". (I don't want to go off topic, but the point I'm making is that what these politicians do now as "wise" elder leaders of society is what I really care about)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2019, 04:25:38 PM »

No comparison.

The "if true" caveat only applies to Fairfax, but due to his skin color the #metoo neolibs have already convicted him.

You don't have to have positive feelings about #MeToo to understand how serious and likely accurate this story is given the motivations of the involved parties, the timeline, the amount of graphic detail and especially every single aspect of the Fairfax response. He's done everything short of saying "I raped her."
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #872 on: February 06, 2019, 04:25:55 PM »

There IS a huge difference though. "Mental puberty" ends LONG after physical puberty. The brain's development continues well into the 20s and doesn't complete until around 25.

A 19-year old is still a teenager and mentally hardly any different from teenagers who are still minors. A 25-year old is mentally a fully developed adult.
"mental puberty" isn't a thing.  If it is, it's something that occurs your entire life.

You're talking about brain development.  And you're assuming the photo was taken when Northam was 25.  Could it not have been taken when he was 22 or 23?  This was, after all, his senior yearbook, no?  With your logic, he still wouldn't be a fully developed adult when the photo was taken!

And that begs the question:  Where is the line?  What year between 19 and 25 does it become unforgivable to wear blackface?  Is it 21?  22?  24?  Does it depend on the person?  Where the person grew up?  The cultural norms he grew up in?

Where is the line?  We know these things are on a continuum but the law requires a line.  Where is it?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #873 on: February 06, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »

Committing actual election fraud to steal a state legislative chamber is far worse than anything Northam/FairFax/Herring did/are being accused of, no questions asked. We should not let someone guilty of such election fraud become Governor in any circumstance.

FairFax is innocent; the allegations against him are false.
Herring only made a minor bad joke when he was 19 years old that he has sincerely apologized for, and clearly shows that this does not resemble his current behavior.
Northam is the only of the 3 who actually needs to go.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #874 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »

"mental puberty" isn't a thing.  If it is, it's something that occurs your entire life.

You're talking about brain development.  And you're assuming the photo was taken when Northam was 25.  Could it not have been taken when he was 22 or 23?  This was, after all, his senior yearbook, no?  With your logic, he still wouldn't be a fully developed adult when the photo was taken!

And that begs the question:  Where is the line?  What year between 19 and 25 does it become unforgivable to wear blackface?  Is it 21?  22?  24?  Does it depend on the person?  Where the person grew up?  The cultural norms he grew up in?

Where is the line?  We know these things are on a continuum but the law requires a line.  Where is it?

Frankly I don't think dressing in blackface at 19 or 25 warrants a resignation 30 years later or anything beyond an apology. But a 19-25 year old or hell even a 15-year old should be able to see the problem with dressing as a KKK member.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies