Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:49:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70289 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: February 03, 2019, 07:39:54 PM »

Gotta hide your shameful exit or disdainful intra-party machinations behind the superbowl.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  This thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites angle here.”  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #378 on: February 03, 2019, 08:03:26 PM »

They’d still be demanding that he resign (and I certainly would), you guys don’t seem to understand that the condemnation of Northam is coming from a genuine place in contrast to the Republican condemnations of Steve King whose racism was apparently fine by the GOP until he used the term “white supremicist.”  Just because the Republican party happily gives Trump a free pass on being a racist, misogynistic bigot who pals around with anti-Semites like Steve Bannon doesn’t mean that no one on the Democratic side talks like a preacher b/c they go to church every Sunday with respect to these sorts of issues.  This thread honestly reads like OP twisting himself in knots and grasping at straws to find some sort of “Democrats are the real hypocrites angle here.”  And speaking of hypocrisy, where was the Virginia Republican Party’s concern about racism when Corey Stewart was nominated for Senate last year?

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: February 03, 2019, 08:10:10 PM »

Though considering how many twists have already happened throughout this saga, I wouldn't be surprised if Northam survives a bit longer.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #380 on: February 03, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »

I think he'll be gone by the end of the night.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #381 on: February 03, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #382 on: February 03, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »

Disagree. It would be a totally different situation if there were a Republican LG, because if that were the case it would be likely that the Republican LG was at least as racist as Northam, and probably considerably more racist - e.g. Corey Stewart. Replacing a racist with someone who is more racist does nobody any good except the racists.

So given that, it would make no sense to demand Northam's resignation if it meant that he would be replaced by the Republican. For example, though it is true that most southern Republican Senators are racist to some degree or other, would you want one of them to resign if the replacement were David Duke? No.

What could be done, however, would be to propose a law changing Virginia's succession so that he could be replaced by a Democrat instead. After that, then Northam could resign in that case.

Failure to recognize that it is possible for a replacement to be even worse than someone who ought, on the merits, to resign, is simply empty virtue signaling.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #383 on: February 03, 2019, 08:46:00 PM »

Disagree. It would be a totally different situation if there were a Republican LG, because if that were the case it would be likely that the Republican LG was at least as racist as Northam, and probably considerably more racist - e.g. Corey Stewart. Replacing a racist with someone who is more racist does nobody any good except the racists.

So given that, it would make no sense to demand Northam's resignation if it meant that he would be replaced by the Republican. For example, though it is true that most southern Republican Senators are racist to some degree or other, would you want one of them to resign if the replacement were David Duke? No.

What could be done, however, would be to propose a law changing Virginia's succession so that he could be replaced by a Democrat instead. After that, then Northam could resign in that case.

Failure to recognize that it is possible for a replacement to be even worse than someone who ought, on the merits, to resign, is simply empty virtue signaling.

I agree that it would depend on who the alternative was. Only in extreme circumstances would Democrats not call for him to resign.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »

I know it's bad form usually too double down on empty quoting one is already joined in on, but a thought came to me and it seems best attached to this post.

If Republicans and conservatives here are really that insistent that Democrats are no more adverse to racist Behavior than Republicans and would rally around one of their own who committed deeply disturbing racist actions like Governor Northram if control of the Governor's Mansion was at stake just like ( the argument implicitly holds) Republicans would, at very least acknowledge Democrats would be far far less likely to if only for the political realities of its coalition.

Unlike Republicans, African Americans make up an important part of its electoral constituency, even more so in Virginia than Nationwide. Even by the most realpolitik standards it would be Beyond difficult to the point of just impossible for the Democratic party as a whole to try to say with a straight face to African American voters and leaders that this s*** was okay because the Dude is now a Democrat. Republicans of course have explicitly given up on all but the most incidental and hardcore Republican voters in the African American community in order to double down on its white resentment voters, and that's do not have remotely the same internal political pressures to cut someone loose for this kind of behavior.

So even if you are unwilling to acknowledge that a significant reason many white Democrats choose to be Democrats is they are far less likely than Republicans to Define this type of behavior anything less than deplorable, let alone acceptable, at least put your projection aside for the moment and acknowledge Democrats would have enormous difficulties excusing Northram's behavior to the substantial number of black voters and politicians in its Coalition, particularly in Virginia.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »

Any republican governor would be far more calamitous for African Americans than Northam
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2019, 09:54:28 PM »

I think he'll be gone by the end of the night.

Maybe he's hoping everyone will forget about it during the Superbowl.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2019, 07:38:27 AM by Calthrina950 »

I notice that not one individual on here (with one or two exceptions), has actually ventured to give a faithful response to Fuzzy Bear's initial question. It should be blatantly obvious that Democrats would not be calling for Northam to resign if his replacement were to be a Republican. A big part of why Franken was forced out was because Democrats knew that he would have a Democratic replacement, appointed by a Democratic Governor. The same applies here-if Northam goes, he will be replaced with another Democrat.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »

Apparently this was a cultural thing at this school...
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »

This. Also, does this have any connection to Northam's controversial comments from earlier this week? Why did this picture drop now, and not during the 2017 gubernatorial campaign?

Quite likely, yes. Conveniently takes a lot of heat off the backlash to the Dems' recent abortion/infanticide extremism.

Lol, seek help.

The same could be said for you. Northam's comments earlier this week were unacceptable, and this picture also defies the bounds of human rationality.

Supporting infant DNR is unacceptable yet forcing a child to slowly die and their parents to watch because they can't afford healthcare isn't? And I never once defended Northam over the picture and said he should resign as soon as I saw the story, so not sure why that's coming up in reply to me.

Both are unacceptable. Healthcare happens to be an issue that I align with the Democrats more on, though I don't support "Medicare for All". My response to you was to remind you of how people who make requests of others, to adhere to certain kinds of behavior, could themselves be subjected to those same requests. It was out of place for you to tell him to "seek help".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2019, 12:22:41 AM »

I think that portrait is a good one to show why he was called "Coonman."  Look at the furry mop and the brows on that guy and those beady dark eyes.  Seems to me like this should be obvious.  Maybe because I live somewhere that I see the trash pandas every day.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »

Don't be surprised if the Obamas follow:

Every crook in DC is coming out of the woodwork to dunk on this guy.  Watching what happens when it's proven Ralph wasn't even in the picture will be amazing.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:39 AM »

I think that portrait is a good one to show why he was called "Coonman."  Look at the furry mop and the brows on that guy and those beady dark eyes.  Seems to me like this should be obvious.  Maybe because I live somewhere that I see the trash pandas every day.

Trash panda isn't a very nice term for racist hicks
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2019, 12:57:08 AM »

Trash panda isn't a very nice term for racist hicks

It's a very nice term for my furry friends, and they are not racist.  They just like me best because I don't try to chase them away and I leave lots of nice stuff for them in the bin - it's nothing to do with my race.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2019, 01:02:23 AM »

Oddly enough, the term "coonass"  is actually a derogatory term/badge of honor for Cajuns, but I don't think there have been variations for other versions of rednecks.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:52 AM »

Grain Mountain of salt, but it appears that Fairfax has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman during the 2004 DNC

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/stanford-fellow-hints-at-possible-justin-fairfax-sex-assault/

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »

If Fairfax has to resign and Northam rides out this fake news attack storm, this would be a dream come true.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »

No way Fairfax resigns, if you think Franken going caused a firestorm imagine Fairfax  going over a clear RW smear. At some point Dems have to draw a line.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2019, 01:46:40 AM »

Grain Mountain of salt, but it appears that Fairfax has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman during the 2004 DNC

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/stanford-fellow-hints-at-possible-justin-fairfax-sex-assault/

Sounds like a hit piece to me.
Thatkat04
« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:28 AM »

Sounds like a hit piece to me.

Apparently this woman went to the Washington Post a year ago and they didnt find her story credible enough to publish. Make of that what you will.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies