Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:25:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70259 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »

Shawty caught me in the blackface (it wasn’t me)
Said I must’ve been the klansman (it wasn’t me)
They even saw it in my yearbook (it wasn’t me)
Why’d I put in on camera (it wasn’t me)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »

Good for Northam. He's scum, but someone has to stand up to this rampant ex post facto social norm imposition.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »

Good for Northam. He's scum, but someone has to stand up to this rampant ex post facto social norm imposition.

It's the ex post facto aspect that I object to the most, especially given the totality of Northam's record.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »

Per Jonathan Martin’s Twitter, Northam has been phoning his old classmates to see if they remember if he was in the photos or not and he might use facial recognition software in an attempt to exonerate himself. 

We’re living in the future we always wanted, folks. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »

Can Justin Fairfax run for reelection if he becomes governor? There is a one term limit in Virginia, but he hasn't be elected governor in the first place.

Yes. Article V, Section 1 of the Virginia Constitution only stipulates that "He shall be ineligible to the same office for the term next succeeding that for which he was elected, and to any other office during his term of service," so he'll be able to run for a full first term since he wouldn't have been elected to this term, though it's an unusual circumstance (to say the least) considering Northam is the first Gov. of VA since the Civil War not to complete his term, w/ VA being the only state never to have had a succession in all those years.

He shouldn't worry about that.  He's going to have Fairfax 2024 and VP Fairfax 2020 threads on Atlas before the day is out.

Hmmmmm . . .
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, isn't this God's swift punishment for his infanticide comments?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, isn't this God's swift punishment for his infanticide comments?

Some things are more important than abortion.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »

How stupid does this guy think the people are in his state? The latest excuse (denying it) after already admitting it was him betrays the contempt he (and most establishment Democrats in general) holds for the average Joe.

I bet the MSNBC Moms in NOVA are popping an extra xan and buying another bottle of rosé tonight.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quite possibly, yes.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »

The burning question for me is how could he have not known this was out there and not be prepared for it? Do people really forget something like this, don't we all go through old photos at some point in life? And what about his classmates who said nothing all these years what were they thinking?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »

Quite possibly, yes.

Wow! Very happy that God has finally decided to intervene now, instead of during the Holocaust or the Armenian Genocide
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2019, 01:09:58 PM »

The burning question for me is how could he have not known this was out there and not be prepared for it? Do people really forget something like this, don't we all go through old photos at some point in life? And what about his classmates who said nothing all these years what were they thinking?

Northam's been in public life for a while now.  He does appear to have been caught napping as to the unforgiving nature of social media.

It's a "When did you stop beating your wife?" question.  There's no good answer.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »

How stupid does this guy think the people are in his state? The latest excuse (denying it) after already admitting it was him betrays the contempt he (and most establishment Democrats in general) holds for the average Joe.

I bet the MSNBC Moms in NOVA are popping an extra xan and buying another bottle of rosé tonight.
Your signature is 100% stupid and ridiculous.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2019, 01:30:09 PM »

Quite possibly, yes.
Amen!
Thatkat04
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »

Northam royally botched this. He should have either immediately came out and denied his involvement in the photo or apologized profusely and asked for forgiveness. But his current mealy mouthed response has just made everything worse. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2019, 01:37:22 PM »

Who is advising him right now?  Tongue
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »

It's the ex post facto aspect that I object to the most, especially given the totality of Northam's record.
What is ex post facto about it? Do you not think blackface and KKK jokes were known to be morally reprehensible in 1984?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »

Quite possibly, yes.

Wow! Very happy that God has finally decided to intervene now, instead of during the Holocaust or the Armenian Genocide

These nations suffered horribly from WWII.  Germany's defeat, the intense military damage inflicted on the USSR, represent powerful judgements.  The utter destruction of the Confederacy was a judgement of the South on slavery. 

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »

It would be good to have some kind of system in place, kinda like a recall from the other direction, where Northam could call a vote for next week or something asking "Should he resign?"

The rules could be that if 50%+ of Virginians say yes, he must go, but if that doesn't happen, he gets the legitimacy to stay on. Maybe the legislature could call for a vote like this too.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »

Wait, what? He admitted to it yesterday and is denying it this morning!?

This just keeps getting stranger.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »

Because he's lying.  It's quite obvious what's happened here.  He admitted he was in the photo last night (which would be an incredibly strange thing to do if he had any doubt it was him), noticed that his statement hadn't blunted the increasing calls to for him to resign, and concluded overnight that the only way he could survive was by trying to inject some plausible deniability. 

I do feel somewhat bad for Northam; I don't think he's a racist and his term in office has included some major achievements for Black folks.  However, once you horrendously botch your response to this, attempt to lie to cover it up, and all of your statewide supporters abandon you, it's time to go buddy.  Sayonara.     
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »

So he’s now saying that it’s not him in the photo and the photo was placed on his page by mistake.

He also dressed as Michael Jackson and put shoe polish under his eyes at one time.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2019, 03:04:29 PM »

This is excruciating.

He keeps going back to the Michael Jackson blackface incident he disclosed at this meeting, and just digging himself in deeper.

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2019, 03:05:41 PM »

Guy's I think he's lost it as sad as it is.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies