Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:34:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?  (Read 4833 times)
Askew
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

Mark Dayton or Tom Wolf would be good picks... from the Rust Belt, reasonably progressive, can over perform in their home states. They're both getting old, though.

Beto would be great if we really want to gun for the Sun Belt and suburbs. He'd top out appeal to young people too, which is absolutely necessary. I'm not sold that Kamala can't do that on her own, though.

I'd say Sherrod Brown is perfect but I reaalllllllllllly don't want to give up his Senate seat.

Let's just say she has options.

Love, love, love Mark Dayton but he has serious health issues and would have no interest in being on a national ticket. Sadly, I'd be surprised if he made it another 2 years with his health concerns.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »

Tom Wolf is too old and has no DC experience or relationships.  In other words, he'd be incapable of assuming leadership of the party once Harris's terms are up and he could offer minimal assistance in the actual task of governing from the White House.

Michael Bennet is still the obvious best choice.

That might actually be an advantage in the current climate.
SCNCmod

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:04 AM »

It would Easily be Sherrod Brown (if the Ohio Senate Seat were not an issue)... But since it is an issue- I would say Chris Van Hollen or Beto.... or maybe even NC Gov Roy Cooper.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2019, 03:07:54 AM »

Tom Wolf is too old and has no DC experience or relationships.  In other words, he'd be incapable of assuming leadership of the party once Harris's terms are up and he could offer minimal assistance in the actual task of governing from the White House.

Michael Bennet is still the obvious best choice.

That might actually be an advantage in the current climate.

Yup, this might be an advantage. But it hasn't been a negative for previous presidents and VPs either. And Wolf has run a large state with success and experience in business. I have no doubt if the circumstances should arrive, he could immediately take over the presidency.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2019, 05:16:30 AM »

I quite like Wolf as well. Hadn't thougt about it, but he sounds great as a running mate.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 01:25:07 PM »

Two names that I'm surprised haven't come up are Sen. Bob Casey, Jr. (D-PA) and Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI). They're both midwestern/rust belt moderates from states with Democratic governors, and they're not too old.

I'd say Gary Peters is a viable option, but his Senate seat is up in 2020 and may not want to run.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »

Two names that I'm surprised haven't come up are Sen. Bob Casey, Jr. (D-PA) and Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI). They're both midwestern/rust belt moderates from states with Democratic governors, and they're not too old.

I'd say Gary Peters is a viable option, but his Senate seat is up in 2020 and may not want to run.

Casey is pro-life. That would not be good for the base. Kind would be an interesting choice, but I think a governor or senator works better than a Congressman. Romney had Paul Ryan as his running mate in 2012 but he still lost Wisconsin.
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »

Romney had Paul Ryan as his running mate in 2012 but he still lost Wisconsin.
[/quote]

That's because neither of them were likeable, and Ryan didn't add much to the ticket. Kind adds midwestern appeal and has over two decades of Congressional experience, which is what Harris lacks.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »

Why is this thread still going?  I thought we all agreed the correct answer is Michael Bennet.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2019, 08:11:04 PM »

Why is this thread still going?  I thought we all agreed the correct answer is Michael Bennet.

Heinrich, Beto and Cordray should be selected, CO is a Dem state
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 11:56:46 PM »

A Californian woman of color who married late in life probably benefits best from a running mate who is a white guy who isn't from the East Coast, isn't caricatured as stereotypically liberal, and who has a conventional family life.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 12:21:54 AM »

A Californian woman of color who married late in life probably benefits best from a running mate who is a white guy who isn't from the East Coast, isn't caricatured as stereotypically liberal, and who has a conventional family life.

Of sitting Senators alone, Peters, Jones, Heinrich, Bennet, Brown and Udall all fit this description. Casey and Manchin also do, but they are probably too socially conservative to end up on a Democratic ticket.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »

Olo, the veep should be from a Dem state. A veep choice isn't going to flip a red state at the national level, and successful Dems in red states need to stay in those states to keep things competitive.

Also, New Mexico is even bluer than Colorado.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2019, 03:54:21 PM »

Olo, the veep should be from a Dem state. A veep choice isn't going to flip a red state at the national level, and successful Dems in red states need to stay in those states to keep things competitive.

Also, New Mexico is even bluer than Colorado.

Tom Wolf would definitely help in Pennsylvania (unless be becomes unpopular), in addition to other assets he has (private sector experience, six years governor of a major state). And John Fetterman would fill his job if elected vice president.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:58 PM »

Tom Wolf would definitely help in Pennsylvania (unless be becomes unpopular), in addition to other assets he has (private sector experience, six years governor of a major state). And John Fetterman would fill his job if elected vice president.

PJ, I just don't get this infatuation with Tom Wolf.  He gives you none of what a veep pick is supposed to provide.  He's old af, so he can't inherit the party leadership once Harris is out of office.  He's got no national experience or relationships, so he can't do much to help move legislation through Congress or work the DC regulatory agencies.  And even from a strictly campaign perspective, I'm not at all convinced it's a good idea to go all in on Pennsylvania.  The last Democratic presidential candidate went all in on Pennsylvania, and look where that got her.  Besides, Pennsylvania is decidedly not the future of the party.  At best it's going to remain a center-right state, but more likely it's going to drift further and further rightward.  Why go with Tom Wolf when there are better options (Michael Bennet!)?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »

PJ, I just don't get this infatuation with Tom Wolf.  He gives you none of what a veep pick is supposed to provide.  He's old af, so he can't inherit the party leadership once Harris is out of office.  He's got no national experience or relationships, so he can't do much to help move legislation through Congress or work the DC regulatory agencies.  And even from a strictly campaign perspective, I'm not at all convinced it's a good idea to go all in on Pennsylvania.  The last Democratic presidential candidate went all in on Pennsylvania, and look where that got her.  Besides, Pennsylvania is decidedly not the future of the party.  At best it's going to remain a center-right state, but more likely it's going to drift further and further rightward.  Why go with Tom Wolf when there are better options (Michael Bennet!)?
You know nothing about this state. Its like you heard it was included in the rust belt and considered somewhat midwest and automatically assumed its trending right.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2019, 06:06:03 PM »

You know nothing about this state. Its like you heard it was included in the rust belt and considered somewhat midwest and automatically assumed its trending right.

The largest bloc of voters in the state is rural whites without college degrees.  Democratic presidential candidates will continue to clean up in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and their suburbs, but there are just more (conservative) people in the other parts of the state.  There's not much more you  need to know.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »

Yes there very much is. A ticket which runs on "the Midwest is the past we're all in on swing state Colorado" is going to lose the states it needs to break 270...

Nah.  Dems should invest in and compete in the Midwest (I actually consider Michigan a must-win), but the top priority should be the Sun Belt swing states, particularly Colorado, Arizona, and North Carolina.  That gets you to 270 just as easily, and that's where the important Senate races are.
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »

Now that someone has mentioned it, I could potentially see a Harris/Heinrich or a Harris/Kind ticket.I would kind of like to see Wisconsin get onto the national stage again.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:24 AM »

Beto is pretty much my default answer to "best running mate" for every candidate.
Or Harris. So Harris/Beto or Beto/Harris would be great tickets!
Catalunya
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »

How about Jared Polis?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »

And that adds what? The only first term gov I'd consider is Tim Walz. Like Polis, he served in the House before. And he is from a more important region.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

Geez, let him get at least one term into his gubernatorial tenure.  Besides, there's nothing that Polis offers that you can't get from Bennet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies