Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Best VP running mate for Kamala Harris?  (Read 4840 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 04:34:08 PM »

Wouldn't Brown be infinitely more useful keeping that Ohio Senate seat in Democratic hands?  Likewise with Cooper--why further risk the North Carolina governorship when the veep choice has negligible impact on the eventual vote totals?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 04:41:58 PM »

I'd also suggest Terry McAuliffe as a possible choice.  He's got a bit more baggage, what with his ties to the Clintons, but he'd make a good attack dog.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

I'd say it would be between Tom Wolf and Amy Klobuchar.  In an ideal world where Cordray won the Ohio Gov., Sherrod Brown would be the clear choice.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »

At first I thought Tom Wolf was a ridiculous suggestion, but the more I think about it, the more I like it. Wolf is a really solid choice. He's reasonably progressive, but still balances the ticket. He is popular and from a state that Harris can't afford to lose. He's experienced politically, but also brings business experience to the table, which could provide contrast with Trump. He's a solid debater who would wipe the floor with Pence. Wolf is also old enough that he could fill the role of an elder statesman, but not so old that people would question whether or not he could step up as president if needed. Plus, Fetterman would get the governor's mansion, which is big plus in my book.
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 04:53:23 PM »

Tom Wolf or Martin Heinrich.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »

Sherrod Brown or Beto.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »

Maybe someone like Tim Ryan or Pete Buttigieg.

I agree with Tintrlvr, I like Buttigieg but there are already questions about whether she has sufficient political experience to be President so I don't think he'd be a good pick in this case. Same with O'Rourke, Moulton, and Doug Jones.

Tom Wolf, Mark Dayton, and Tom Vilsack would be solid picks of Governors. But I think we're missing an obvious option for VP here, which is...

Bernie Sanders - think about it, he has a huge following and appeal within the Democratic Party and plenty of experience in the Senate. Kamala picking Bernie would unite the party behind her campaign and energise the base, perhaps at the cost of alienating some moderates. He could be acceptable as a supportive 'elder statesman' figure for Democrats who aren't just quite comfortable enough to see him as President.

I'm a Bernie supporter, but picking Bernie makes no sense. He is just too old to serve as a VP, and he is more effective sitting as a senator or in the cabinet, continuing to expanding his brand and organization. Bernie is also too high-profile to serve as a VP. It will make the base enthusiast, i agree, but it would alienate a lot of voters. I don't think this is a good idea to be fair.

Steve Bullock is a good pick as well. Sherrod Brown as well (but his senate seat is more valuable). I'm less sold on Klobuchar. I'm also less sold on a white moderate like Jones or McAuliffe. Tom Wolf maybe as well (although i don't know enough about him), but I would argue that a progressive or modern liberal from the Rust Belt is the best choice here.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »

Martin Heinrich, Doug Jones, or Beto O'Rourke.

I would say Sherrod Brown and Steve Bullock also but they are better utilized by staying in the Senate and running for the Senate respectively.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 11:56:36 PM »

John Kerry, senior statesman with foreign policy creds.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 01:29:01 AM »

Possibility that hasn't been brought up yet: Gary Peters. From a must-win state with a Democratic governor (unlike Ohio), balances out Harris' lack of foreign policy experience with two terms on the Armed Services Committee. He may be boring, but he certainly won't be detrimental, and is better than Kaine or Bennet because Michigan is less safe than Colorado or Virginia. Thing is that he might not be able to run for Senate and VP simultaneously.
Jon Tester
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:01 AM »

Anyone who is a D Governor/Senator in a state that doesn't touch the Pacific or Atlantic Oceans, and Doug Jones.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 01:57:20 AM »

Also Russ Feingold, had he won his seat back in 2016 (or never lost it in the first place), would have been the best running mate for Harris that I can possibly imagine. Midwestern appeal (and Wisconsin has a Democrat as governor), a ton of foreign policy experience, including an ambassadorship, and is just as progressive as Bernie or Warren, yet comes off as more likable than both.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 02:29:46 AM »

Obviously a white male.

- Tom Wolf: Would almost guarantee PA and has a done a fine job as gov.
- Sherrod Brown: Has wide appeal among WWCs. Question though whether we can afford losing his seat.
- Tim Ryan: WWC appeal from the Rust Belt
- Terry McAuliffe: Appeals to moderates, but has some baggage and help in VA is not needed (if it is, the election is lost)
- John Hickenlooper: Appeals to moderates, too, but no help in CO needed.
- Tim Walz: Helps in the Midwest, experience as gov and rep.

I'd like Doug Jones and Steve Bullock, too. But Jones should be appointed AG and Bullock run for senate in MT. He's the only one with a major shot winning the seat. Honestly, I prefer Wolf at this point.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 02:33:01 AM »

- Tom Wolf..Trump can't afford to lose the state that he governs.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 06:33:12 AM »

Klobuchar. I don't think it's at all obvious that the running mate should be a white man when women angry about Kavanaugh, #MeToo etc. is very much powering the activist base of the party and the cultural moment.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »

I think Tom Wolf would seem to be logical. Reasonably progressive, cuts out the anti-business angle given his background, a reasonably popular governor from  a state Trump needs to win, and generally comes off as a safe pair of hands, so to speak.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 08:23:19 AM »

Sherrod Brown would be, but his spot in the Senate is probably more valuable to the Dems overall.  OH-GOP has a deep beach of potential DeWine appointees/candidates, and I doubt OH Dems could win a 2021 special with Harris the incumbent President.

For political reasons, her choice is pretty much limited to a white male.  I think Beto would overshadow her without expanding the electoral map, so not him.  If she wants to add executive gravitas to her ticket (which I expect she may want to do), I say go with Wolf or Northam.

Wildcard pick - John Kerry.  Established career, national profile, foreign policy expertise, cemented liberal.  Most importantly, due to his age, Kerry would be very unlikely to run for President in 2028, which is important to placating the progressives who would be less-than-enthused about Kamala's nomination.

Harris/Kerry 2020!
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:56 AM »

If we could ignore the impact it would have on the Senate, Brown certainly appears to be the the premier choice.

Wolf and Dayton would be good choices too (as mentioned by others), but I somewhat doubt that either of them are particularly interested in the vice presidency (could be wrong though).

If AL-SEN seems like a lost cause and the DNC triages Jones, he would be a good choice too.

If she wants to be #bold and pick another woman: Klobuchar.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »

I'm actually surprised so many have suggested Tom Wolf and pointed out what a good running mate he would indeed be.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »

Tom Wolf is too old and has no DC experience or relationships.  In other words, he'd be incapable of assuming leadership of the party once Harris's terms are up and he could offer minimal assistance in the actual task of governing from the White House.

Michael Bennet is still the obvious best choice.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »

Mark Dayton or Tom Wolf would be good picks... from the Rust Belt, reasonably progressive, can over perform in their home states. They're both getting old, though.

Beto would be great if we really want to gun for the Sun Belt and suburbs. He'd top out appeal to young people too, which is absolutely necessary. I'm not sold that Kamala can't do that on her own, though.

I'd say Sherrod Brown is perfect but I reaalllllllllllly don't want to give up his Senate seat.

Let's just say she has options.
I adore Mark Dayton but his health is clearly failing.
ViaActiva

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »

Maybe someone like Tim Ryan or Pete Buttigieg.

I agree with Tintrlvr, I like Buttigieg but there are already questions about whether she has sufficient political experience to be President so I don't think he'd be a good pick in this case. Same with O'Rourke, Moulton, and Doug Jones.

Tom Wolf, Mark Dayton, and Tom Vilsack would be solid picks of Governors. But I think we're missing an obvious option for VP here, which is...

Bernie Sanders - think about it, he has a huge following and appeal within the Democratic Party and plenty of experience in the Senate. Kamala picking Bernie would unite the party behind her campaign and energise the base, perhaps at the cost of alienating some moderates. He could be acceptable as a supportive 'elder statesman' figure for Democrats who aren't just quite comfortable enough to see him as President.

I'm a Bernie supporter, but picking Bernie makes no sense. He is just too old to serve as a VP, and he is more effective sitting as a senator or in the cabinet, continuing to expanding his brand and organization. Bernie is also too high-profile to serve as a VP. It will make the base enthusiast, i agree, but it would alienate a lot of voters. I don't think this is a good idea to be fair.

I don't see how Bernie is too old to be VP but not too old to be a Senator. Of course there is the issue of succession but I don't think we should automatically discriminate on the basis of age in this day and age, unless it is having visible effects on someone's judgement and health. Manmohan Singh and William Gladstone were Prime Ministers well into their 80s.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »

Ken Salazar, former U.S. Senator Colorado and former Secretary of the Interior
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2019, 06:46:17 PM »

Ken Salazar, former U.S. Senator Colorado and former Secretary of the Interior

I think it's bad messaging to have two racial minorities on the ticket.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »

She would be an excellent choice if Kamala Harris wins the presidential nomination. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies