is this lady serious?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:52:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  is this lady serious?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is this lady serious?
yes, and she's right

yes, and she's crazy

yes, she's got a point, I don't agree with it, but there is something there

yes, ___fill in the blank____

no, this is parody, but I understand why you missed it

no, this is parody and you're an idiot if you don't see it

it's painfully too close to call

the I hate dead0 or dead0's silly polls, but I love voting

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: is this lady serious?  (Read 927 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:06:30 PM »

link NY Times Big City section

if you don't want to click the link, she thinks NYC needs a $33/hr minimum wage
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »

The living wage in NY for one adult and one child is $30/hour
American_Aristocracy
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:43 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2019, 09:18:12 PM by American_Aristocracy »

How do New York City Progressives cope in a city (and state) with horrific income inequality? /s

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 01:01:07 AM »

I'm as natalist as the next poster, but the idea that we should price every childless person out of the NYC labor market is insane.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »

Option 2.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »

I'm as natalist as the next poster, but the idea that we should price every childless person out of the NYC labor market is insane.

I am by no means a natalist, and think it'd do quite a bit of good for humanity to have far less children. Regardless, the minimum wage in NY (and I used to live there) cannot sustain even the rudiments of a family. Make of that what you will
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »

I am by no means a natalist, and think it'd do quite a bit of good for humanity to have far less children. Regardless, the minimum wage in NY (and I used to live there) cannot sustain even the rudiments of a family. Make of that what you will

My point was that setting minimums to support families actually warps the labor market in the same way that setting minimums to the "living wage" will/would price out unskilled teenagers and retirees from having part-time jobs.

We should consider the whole market when setting minimums, rather than just the most needy – whom we can obviously emphasize through other means (e.g. welfare spending and tax credits).
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:02:14 AM »

My point was that setting minimums to support families actually warps the labor market in the same way that setting minimums to the "living wage" will/would price out unskilled teenagers and retirees from having part-time jobs.

We should consider the whole market when setting minimums, rather than just the most needy – whom we can obviously emphasize through other means (e.g. welfare spending and tax credits).

The vast majority of workers aren't unskilled teenagers. The labour force is made up primarily of full-time adult workers who have families to support.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:10:49 AM »

This
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »

The vast majority of workers aren't unskilled teenagers. The labour force is made up primarily of full-time adult workers who have families to support.
and a tiny fraction of them make minimum wage, and almost all of them are new or sh**tty employees.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »

You're just making the same argument for a different case. We shouldn't be tailoring the  minimum wage to the average worker, but to the lowest possible worker. That's what a minimum is.

Also, we're talking about a specific type of employed labor, not the "vast majority of workers" who would be indirectly affected by a min-wage increase. According to BLS, workers hold 25 constitute half of current min-wage jobs (versus one-fifth of the overall labor market), and 65% of those min-wage jobs are part-time. So these are disproportionately young people in vulnerable positions.

The minimum wage is the lowest possible wage that is necessary to survive. This will obviously depend on a number of conditions (location, etc.), but the "lowest worker possible" would be someone living in poverty conditions who does not earn enough to feed themselves or pay rent. Also, keep in mind that BLS only accounts for the federal minimum wage which is $7.25, not local or state ordinances which often set the minimum wage much higher. Obviously young workers tend to be in minimum wage positions and are the most vulnerable in a labour market
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies