If each person knew how/when they'd die... would you be more accepting of death?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:53:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If each person knew how/when they'd die... would you be more accepting of death?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If each person knew how/when they'd die... would you be more accepting of death?
Yes

Unsure

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: If each person knew how/when they'd die... would you be more accepting of death?  (Read 1710 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2019, 05:11:15 PM by Blue3 »

Let's say that every human being, upon turning 6 years old, had a vision forever imprinted into memory and learned exactly how and when they would die... and no human being died before the age of 18.

These visions cannot be altered.

They also don't have a lot of information, just things like "I'll die at 56 years old in the morning of January 21 of a heart attack" or "I'll die at 19 years old, my head banging against something at high speed, on the night of October 5" or "I'll be killed in by a random bullet or shrapnel to the head at 23 years old in the afternoon of March 15" or "I'll die barely conscious at 87 years old just before sunset time on July 29."

Even if a person wanted to avoid it, it's not specific enough with what caused it, just the "how" and "when," plus you know everybody else's visions always come true and so will yours. This isn't a "new" phenomenon in this alternate world, humans have always known this, since back when they were inventing fire and the wheel all the way into modern times. Nobody knows the cause, it's treated as a rite of passage that everyone goes through at 6 years old.

1. Would that be better than the status quo?

2. How would human cultures be different, what would be some "ripple effects"?

3. Would you personally be more accepting of death?

4. Would you personally live your life differently, if you knew since you were a young child exactly when/how you would die?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »

Did you ever see Babylon 5? If not, you won't get the question, but if you have you will.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »

Do I fear dying? Yes. Might hurt.

Do I fear returning to a state of pre 1984 non existence? No. Didn't hurt.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:02:08 PM »

Death is inevitable, but there is a growing elderly population, that's becoming more immune from death. Diabetes, Heart Failure and seizures that come in the form of strokes can be cured by treating internal organs like Bladders and Colons with Dialysis.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »

This is a pretty terrifying prospect. I think it would lead to an increase in crime and other acts of desperation.

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 07:41:24 AM »

This is a pretty terrifying prospect. I think it would lead to an increase in crime and other acts of desperation.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 01:04:04 AM »

Or it could lead to a certain inner peace, though too much serenity has a way of turning into merriment...so...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »

The Land of Laughs anyone?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:22:03 AM »

Why is it terrifying?

In my post, I describe it's something humans have always known since the dawn of civilization up to the present, and considered "normal." As normal as being born.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »

People are living a full life now, death is inevitable, but not imminent.

Our immune system have adjusted and heart and brain have adjusted to environmental conditions that doesn't make a heart attack or stroke inevitable.  People are living with HIV and living it to fullest. I am no longer afraid, as lifespans have increased to 80 now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »

Why is it terrifying?

In my post, I describe it's something humans have always known since the dawn of civilization up to the present, and considered "normal." As normal as being born.

If you know that you are destined to die in a relatively short span of time, it creates a great deal of pressure to try and do the things you want to do, and many people will turn to desperate measures as their time comes. It's great if you are going to live to a ripe, old age, but terrible if you are going to die young.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »

Why is it terrifying?

If you know that you are destined to die in a relatively short span of time, it creates a great deal of pressure to try and do the things you want to do, and many people will turn to desperate measures as their time comes. It's great if you are going to live to a ripe, old age, but terrible if you are going to die young.

Agreed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies