Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:49:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134869 times)
DaWN
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: October 13, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »
« edited: October 13, 2019, 04:26:22 PM by DaWN »

Morgan Cox, the person who asked the Marriage Equality question to Elizabeth Warren also happens to be a huge supported of Warren & a longtime donor & has donated to her in the Presidential campaign as well.

Are you insinuating that Warren was fed an obvious question by a supporter beforehand? Because thats dumb.

Also Warren has categorically indicated that she will be raising Corporate PAC big money through the DNC for the GE !

Also good. She's not crippling the party by forcing her no big donor pitch on downballot candidates.

I support Warren but there are few ways to long-term cripple the Democratic Party more than by taking money from wealthy interests at this point.

There are few ways to long-term cripple the Democratic Party more than by getting outspent a billion to one by the GOP every election

It's never crippled California Gubernatorials....even when the state was swingier [such as, oh, 2002], it didn't stop Obama, it didn't stop TX-2018 from being decided by 200,000 votes, it didn't save Heidi Heitkamp or Claire McCaskill, or....Hillary Clinton herself.

Money is not guarantee of victory but to pretend it plays no part or that the GOP significantly outspending the Democrats every election would not result in more GOP victories than otherwise is just silly.

And yeah, it did cripple California gubernatorials, as Gray won relatively narrowly, got booted out by a recall funded by GOP donors, Arnold won comfortably in 2006 among a Democratic wave and by 2010 the state was too blue for it to matter anymore.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1626 on: October 13, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »

I like Reid but hopefully he’s wrong here.

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully when Elizabeth Warren wins and has to work with a less-than-favourable Congress, she'd rather settle for nothing at all than a compromise that strengthens Obamacare. Cuz that would sure be great. Roll Eyes

My point wasn’t clear.

You can’t give up on fighting for Medicare For All before you’ve even gotten into power. Chances are, you’re right and she’ll be forced to settle for less, but you cannot give up leverage now, and only risk yourself settling for even less.
Cinemark

« Reply #1627 on: October 13, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Hopefully when Elizabeth Warren wins and has to work with a less-than-favourable Congress, she'd rather settle for nothing at all than a compromise that strengthens Obamacare. Cuz that would sure be great. Roll Eyes

My point wasn’t clear.

You can’t give up on fighting for Medicare For All before you’ve even gotten into power. Chances are, you’re right and she’ll be forced to settle for less, but you cannot give up leverage now, and only risk yourself settling for even less.

One of Reids crowning achievements was Obamacare. This might just be wishful thinking on his part, or a carrot for his endoresment. I doubt he's speaking for Warren in any capacity like some of the left are suggesting.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #1628 on: October 13, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

See this sort of intimidation is why the Democrats lose.

No, they lose because of smug self-righteousness and a refusal to do things that they dislike morally in order to win while the Republicans will do absolutely anything. Case in point.

People are tired of the business as usual status quo which has largely been fueled by said interests, and are often much more willing in this day and age (granted it never should have gotten to this point) to vote against an establishment candidate backed said by interests.

Except the GOP donors who will happily pump billions of billions of dollars to GOP candidates who will then outspend their Democratic equivalents by large amounts. To pretend that this wont result in at least a few races going GOP that would have otherwise gone Democrat is absurd.

Hell, in the Internet age, it’s much easier to raise money $27 at a time than it use to be.

And it still won't come close to reaching GOP sums.

If the Democrats continue to rely on big money’d interests in the way they have, in the long term regardless of what happens in 2020, they will be seen as technocratic inauthentic status quo candidates and let someone like Donald Trump use attitudes about race and immigrants as well as the overall cultural gap between urban and rural America to divide us up, and continue this polarized political climate that also enacts policies backed by said interests.

'Technocratic inauthentic status quo candidates' is meaningless dribble. You might as well say they are 'neoliberal' as well given how many completely devalued buzzwords there are there.

And I hate to break it to you, but Trump or someone similar will use attitudes about race and immigrants as well as the overall cultural gap between urban and rural America to divide you all and continue the polarised political climate no matter how the Democrats raise their money. That's the GOP strategy now. The only way the Democrats are letting him do it is by unilaterally surrendering on every issue so they have a completely worthless moral high ground.

I'm not saying the Democrats should suddenly start accepting money from the remaining Koch brother or anything, but if a big money donor comes along willing to donate to Elizabeth Warren of all people, I simply don't see a reason to say no other than ridiculous moralising that'll lose you more elections to reality TV stars. Sorry.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1629 on: October 13, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »

Warren didn't support single payer until after Hillary lost. She won't fight very hard to have it passed.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1630 on: October 13, 2019, 05:26:37 PM »

Warren didn't support single payer until after Hillary lost. She won't fight very hard to have it passed.
Bernie’s answer to getting it passed with a minority or without blowing up the filibuster is having rallies in Kentucky so......
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1631 on: October 13, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »

Bernie’s answer to getting it passed with a minority or without blowing up the filibuster is having rallies in Kentucky so......

Putting aside the general silliness of that idea, has anyone else noticed the logistical problems with it? I'm sure ol Mitch is quaking in his boots at the thought of President Sanders holding a rally in KY 5.5 years before he's up for re-election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1632 on: October 13, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »

The President has the bully pulpit that they can use to put pressure to get their agenda passed. If they're not going to fight for anything, we're better off just waiting for the big midterm gains in 2022 under President Trump.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1633 on: October 13, 2019, 06:57:10 PM »

Speaking of Kentucky!

Fascinating to learn that Warren would fail the US history AP exam.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1634 on: October 13, 2019, 07:44:21 PM »

Bernie would effectively eliminate the filibuster while officially preserving it, see here, though his way does seem overly complicated and just eliminating the filibuster would be preferable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1635 on: October 13, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »

Putting aside the general silliness of that idea, has anyone else noticed the logistical problems with it? I'm sure ol Mitch is quaking in his boots at the thought of President Sanders holding a rally in KY 5.5 years before he's up for re-election.

Yah lol even if KY senate seat somehow became winnable for the Dems in 2026 it’s not like it will be because of a rally Bernie held in mid 2021 . The idea that voters will remember a political fight from 2021 in 2026 is laughable , like I as an Atlas poster don’t remember many of the Congressional fights from early-mid 2014
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #1636 on: October 13, 2019, 10:08:45 PM »

Putting aside what I personally think about her dedication to M4A, Liz's ability to make people see what they want to see regarding her health care plan is a big strategic advantage. Though Liz is not like Trump rhetorically I think they both have this "all things to all people" quality. Remember when Trump was courting party conservatives with a Pence VP while also promising to expand entitlement programs at rallies?
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #1637 on: October 13, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »

Bernie would effectively eliminate the filibuster while officially preserving it, see here, though his way does seem overly complicated and just eliminating the filibuster would be preferable.

It's so crazy to me that he came up with this virtually unheard of and often misunderstood plan to do essentially the same thing as nuking the filibuster, when nuking the filibuster JUST broke into the mainstream. Liz got to lead on that issue for free.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1638 on: October 14, 2019, 02:03:12 AM »

Cinemark

« Reply #1639 on: October 14, 2019, 07:30:07 AM »

The bill itself is fine, good even. But her staff did a horrible job selling it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1640 on: October 14, 2019, 12:03:35 PM »

She's saying that if the companies signed a non-binding pledge, they should have no problem with a statutory requirement to live up to their own stated goals, in effect pointing out their hypocrisy. But of course if you're determined to twist into something bad, you can make up that she's saying a non-binding pledge is great and the whole tweet was just about congratulating CEOs.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1641 on: October 14, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »

She's saying that if the companies signed a non-binding pledge, they should have no problem with a statutory requirement to live up to their own stated goals, in effect pointing out their hypocrisy. But of course if you're determined to twist into something bad, you can make up that she's saying a non-binding pledge is great and the whole tweet was just about congratulating CEOs.
This.

Warren could cure cancer at this point and people will say she's a neoliberal puppet.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1642 on: October 14, 2019, 12:52:02 PM »

This.

Warren could cure cancer at this point and people will say she's a neoliberal puppet.

She probably did so by putting money in the pockets of Big Cancer Research. Neoliberal corporatist shill!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1643 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »

This.

She probably did so by putting money in the pockets of Big Cancer Research. Neoliberal shill!
Shame!!! Now let me go watch Jimmy Dore for the next 24 hours.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1644 on: October 14, 2019, 08:55:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuZA9eK4jOI

Krazy Kommunist Kyle Kulinski exposes that far-left Liz Warren isn't so pure

^Far leftists in the comments section saying that they'd sit the election out if it's Warren.

I gotta say...while I laugh at how extreme some of these people are, I do have to admire them for being so principled. If only more Democrats were like them!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1645 on: October 14, 2019, 10:50:37 PM »

Oh my god you posted youtube comments to make a point jfc
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #1646 on: October 15, 2019, 01:10:34 AM »

> be far left
> refuse to vote in Warren vs Trump election
> muh principles
> realize you represent only 5-10% of the dem primary universe and can't even push frontrunners left
> also realize you've gained a reputation for being impossible to please so no one even tries
> forget all this immediately and start the 2024 cycle claiming bernie would have passed m4a
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1647 on: October 15, 2019, 05:19:28 AM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1648 on: October 15, 2019, 09:33:30 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2019, 04:34:24 PM by GP270watch »

I'm voting for Warren because of her potential cabinet appointments and the talent around her that she'd bring to Washington D.C.

I don't see any Democrat that wins having large enough numbers in the Senate to really transform this country, if we even win the Senate. So we have to work with what we have and within the systems we have should we not have another blue wave that includes the Senate this time. There are already tons of laws and federal agencies that should protect our citizens, workers, union members, consumers, borrowers, voters, students, prisoners, minorities, and farmers. The problem is that many of these laws go unenforced. I think she is the candidate that will enforce these laws and have the competent staff around her to do so from Day 1.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1649 on: October 15, 2019, 04:28:05 PM »

I don't see what Gillum adds to the ticket. Abrams would be a great choice, but she will almost certainly sit 2020 out and challenge Kemp in 2022. Am I the only one that thinks there aren't any perfect VP options? Like for any of the candidates?

Tammy Duckworth would be a good VP IMO.

A ticket with two women isn't unlikely, but methinks it won't go over well. I would love this ticket, but you know...America gonna America. Duckworth is also from a safe D state and doesn't necessarily help drive out the voting demographics that Warren needs.

And how about Senator Catherine Cortez Masto?  

Would be ideal but she’s DSCC chair.

That is a complication, but not insurmountable.  I like the idea of her as Elizabeth Warren's running-mate in the sense that even if (God forbid) Warren loses narrowly to either Trump or Pence next year, she would be the instant 2024 frontrunner.  And the face of a new generation ready to take over the reins of the Democratic Party from the aging baby boomers.  

I agree that Masto would be a good VP candidate but how is someone who will be 60 in 2024 (and is literally a baby boomer) "the face of a new generation"?

She was born in 1964, and therefore is Generation X (or close enough).  Or at least its leading edge.  

That is unless you want to quibble over whether 1964 or 1965 should be the arbitrary cut-off year...   

If someone born in 1964 is "the face of a new generation" then the Democrats have a problem.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies