Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:17:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133658 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: June 27, 2019, 03:21:13 PM »

Warren’s backing eliminating private insurance was incredibly stupid. Gives GOP an opening, a Medicare option pretty does the same thing without the baggage.

She had a good night, but that statement really highlights how poor her political instincts are.
“Poor political instincts” but has successfully positioned herself to be Biden’s main adversary down the stretch? K. She said what she meant and that goes farther than a rehearsed answer pulled from polling and focus groups. Trump won promising to round up illegals, building a fictional wall, and banning Muslims. Elizabeth Warren will be alright.

Her answer did show poor political instincts.

One reason she is doing well is because she has gotten moderates in the party to warm up to her. Her stance on healthcare is the kind of thing that would scare them away.

Exactly.  How does she broaden her base?  Rather, she'll continue to fight with Bernie et al for the progressive piece of the pie.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #626 on: June 27, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »

Warren’s backing eliminating private insurance was incredibly stupid. Gives GOP an opening, a Medicare option pretty does the same thing without the baggage.

She had a good night, but that statement really highlights how poor her political instincts are.
“Poor political instincts” but has successfully positioned herself to be Biden’s main adversary down the stretch? K. She said what she meant and that goes farther than a rehearsed answer pulled from polling and focus groups. Trump won promising to round up illegals, building a fictional wall, and banning Muslims. Elizabeth Warren will be alright.

Her answer did show poor political instincts.

One reason she is doing well is because she has gotten moderates in the party to warm up to her. Her stance on healthcare is the kind of thing that would scare them away.

Exactly.  How does she broaden her base?  Rather, she'll continue to fight with Bernie et al for the progressive piece of the pie.

I think that's the point. My guess would be that she wants this to be a clear ideological dogfight with the Biden down the stretch. I think that's a fight she can win.
OkThen

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 0.35

« Reply #627 on: June 27, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »

I'm guessing that if she's watching tonight's debate that she's very pleased that she was on last night's...
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #628 on: June 28, 2019, 11:19:24 AM »

Ever since that MSNBC townhall a couple weeks, I've been thinking (gun to my head-style) that Elizabeth Warren is most likely going to be the Democratic nominee. Everything I've seen and read has only reinforced that point.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #629 on: June 29, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #630 on: June 29, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »

OkThen

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: June 29, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »

We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #632 on: July 01, 2019, 01:42:05 AM »

Making the likely terrible decision to step into the 2020 forum to express my loyal support for Elizabeth Warren and my fervent hope that we don't do something terrible like not nominate Elizabeth Warren.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #633 on: July 01, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »

I hope Harris and Warren don’t destroy each other trying to become the anti-Biden choice.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #634 on: July 01, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »

I hope Harris and Warren don’t destroy each other trying to become the anti-Biden choice.

Oh, they won't. The most EW might do is possibly bring up Kamala's tough on crime past as a prosecuter, but that's only if they're the clear front-runners. And if that happens, KH might bring up Elizabeth's DNA, but only when talking about the importance of understanding the nuisances of race identity.

Right now they still need to eviscerate Biden & Bernie (and to a lesser extent, Buttigieg), and that hasn't happened yet (prob not til at least Oct).
They genuinely have a lot of respect for each other. From what I've heard behind the scenes, it's not like they're best friends in the Senate (Harris is much closer to Cortez-Masto, and Warren is close to Tammy Baldwin), but they recognize that each other would make a phenomenal president that they would be happy to serve for in some capacity.

EW was observing Kamala's debate skills even back when she was debating Loretta Sanchez though, tbh, that was also the moment that gave us this:
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #635 on: July 01, 2019, 10:25:35 AM »

What does this even mean?

Twitter should ban or suspend people who imply that Harris isn't Black
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #636 on: July 01, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »

Oh, they won't. The most EW might do is possibly bring up Kamala's tough on crime past as a prosecuter, but that's only if they're the clear front-runners. And if that happens, KH might bring up Elizabeth's DNA, but only when talking about the importance of understanding the nuisances of race identity.

Right now they still need to eviscerate Biden & Bernie (and to a lesser extent, Buttigieg), and that hasn't happened yet (prob not til at least Oct).
They genuinely have a lot of respect for each other. From what I've heard behind the scenes, it's not like they're best friends in the Senate (Harris is much closer to Cortez-Masto, and Warren is close to Tammy Baldwin), but they recognize that each other would make a phenomenal president that they would be happy to serve for in some capacity.

EW was observing Kamala's debate skills even back when she was debating Loretta Sanchez though, tbh, that was also the moment that gave us this:

Warren would be rattled if Biden is any indication. Even charlemagne the god got her off balance.
UncleSam

« Reply #637 on: July 01, 2019, 10:42:19 AM »

I mean she is literally not AA. That’s a fact. Whether her experience as a dark-skinned woman growing up in a time of great racial tension is consistent with the experience of most AAs is up to the voters to decide - I personally don’t think it makes a difference. But the notion that there’s a serious call to ban people for saying something that is literally true is pretty terrifying.
OkThen

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: July 01, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »

I'm not sure if this belongs in the polling forum since there are no horserace numbers, but according to this poll Warren had the highest net favorable impression from the debates...

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #639 on: July 03, 2019, 01:08:03 AM »

I mean she is literally not AA. That’s a fact. Whether her experience as a dark-skinned woman growing up in a time of great racial tension is consistent with the experience of most AAs is up to the voters to decide - I personally don’t think it makes a difference. But the notion that there’s a serious call to ban people for saying something that is literally true is pretty terrifying.

"Dark-skinned woman" she's black. bottom line cut and dry.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #640 on: July 03, 2019, 11:40:32 AM »

Cue the "they respect each other professionally, therefore there is no difference between them  politically or personally and Warren is a cop and Harris is a fake indian black" takes.
OkThen

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: July 05, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »

New plan released about valuing the work of WoC and an op-ed in Essence about valuing black women ahead of her speaking at the Essence Festival this weekend.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #642 on: July 05, 2019, 11:20:50 AM »

Warren is the only real choice we have as Democrats for President. She's the only one who won't be afraid or intimidated from wielding the power of the office and of the federal governing agencies, she also has the policy chops and network to get good people in those positions. Many of her former students and colleagues are ready to go and hit the ground running. Even without taking back the Senate she will effect real change.

jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #643 on: July 05, 2019, 04:27:30 PM »

Warren is the only real choice we have as Democrats for President. She's the only one who won't be afraid or intimidated from wielding the power of the office and of the federal governing agencies, she also has the policy chops and network to get good people in those positions. Many of her former students and colleagues are ready to go and hit the ground running. Even without taking back the Senate she will effect real change.

Genuinely curious, what major structural overhauls can she do without the Senate? I just want to prepare myself for the worst.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #644 on: July 05, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2019, 07:54:06 PM by GP270watch »

Genuinely curious, what major structural overhauls can she do without the Senate? I just want to prepare myself for the worst.

The worst?

Are you a payday lender? Do you love usury?

jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #645 on: July 05, 2019, 11:43:17 PM »

The worst?

Are you a payday lender? Do you love usury?

LOL what I mean is that I’m petrified that Democrats don’t take back the Senate, and McConnell kneecaps anything Warren would try to do as President, just like with Obama.
I want to make sure she’s still able to do good if elected with a Dem House and Rep Senate
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #646 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »

The President has tremendous powers independent of the Congress. We also have many laws on the books that are advantageous to consumers, voters, labor, and working families. The problem is that when you have an administration in charge that doesn't care, these laws go unenforced or are undermined.
 It's the difference between Trump and Sessions/Bill Barr Justice Department overseeing Voting Rights laws or a Warren administration with whoever she chooses. And you can go down the line to several federal agencies such as CFPB (which Warren basically created) which regulates the oversight of banks and financial products, fine them when they do wrong, and return the money to the victims. Do you want President Warren in charge of the FCC or Trump and his telecom lackey Ajit Pai?
OkThen

Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: July 06, 2019, 11:43:55 AM »

Adding to the busing discussion, they were able to find Warren's first law review article from 1975 which addressed this issue...

Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #648 on: July 06, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »

Adding to the busing discussion, they were able to find Warren's first law review article from 1975 which addressed this issue...

Wow. And she was a blatant conservative at the time, no?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #649 on: July 06, 2019, 01:07:11 PM »

Wow. And she was a blatant conservative at the time, no?

She described herself as conservative but not politically engaged. Also this was a time when social conservatism and other types of conservatism (e.g., fiscal, judicial) were not so tightly connected.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies