Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:13:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134809 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: May 15, 2019, 03:47:37 AM »

In the end of the day, millions of Americans watch Fox News. Yes, it's mostly a propaganda channel that spews hatred and fake news, but it's still watched by millions. Usually, Presidents do show preference to media that's more favourable to them, which is understandable, but completely boycotting entire channels is something else. By refusing to go on Fox, Warren is saying that the people who watch it aren't good enough for her, she's refusing to talk to them. She's not running to be their President, but only the President of the other half of the country. One of the most important things a President should be, imo, is a leader for everyone, not just those who voted for him or her. Trump, for example, is failing miserably- his trashing of media outlets like CNN and his general rhetoric is signaling half the country that he's not just refusing to be a leader for them and represent them, but is actively fighting for them. I'm disappointed that Warren is lowering herself to this level.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #426 on: May 15, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »

As I said her excuses are obviously bullsh**t. Or has something happen to Fox News since 2018 that forced Liz to start boycotting it?

Jeez. She don't want to come, because it's too risky. A little to win, but a 1023/1024 to lose.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2019, 09:21:59 AM »

Seriously. F***  Fox News. They never have more than 5-6 million viewers at any given time. Nobody seriously considering Democrats is watching that network. They would have her on and then immediately following Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson would twist everything she said. They are illegitimate. I’m glad she gave them the middle finger and is focusing on turning out Obama 2012 voters that stayed home and people who were eligible to vote for the first time in 2016 and passed.

Yes. Screw Trump voters.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2019, 02:04:35 PM »

All of the takes about "shutting out Fox News" are really small-brain takes.

She's not removing Fox staff from her press corps and she's not removing credentials from Fox reporters. She's just not making an appearance on their network and, if you actually read any of that Twitter thread beyond the first post, then you'd see her (claimed) primary motivation is advertising on Fox.

You can argue all day about whether you believe her stated motivation but to portray this as Warren limiting Fox's access to her campaign you are misunderstanding what she's doing. Fox has the same access today that they had last week.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #429 on: May 15, 2019, 02:38:11 PM »

Won't there be a Fox debate in the general, though? I wonder if Warren would go so far as to boycott that.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #430 on: May 15, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »

Seriously. F***  Fox News. They never have more than 5-6 million viewers at any given time. Nobody seriously considering Democrats is watching that network. They would have her on and then immediately following Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson would twist everything she said. They are illegitimate. I’m glad she gave them the middle finger and is focusing on turning out Obama 2012 voters that stayed home and people who were eligible to vote for the first time in 2016 and passed.

Yes. Screw Trump voters.

More people watch FOX than MSNBC and CNN, they're doing something right despite their behavior. Fix it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: May 15, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »

Who cares?

Warren is not going to be the nominee anyway.

She damaged herself when she failed to tell the truth about her identity.

She may have some good ideas, but she will never be president.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #432 on: May 15, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »

Inject the replies to this tweet directly into my veins.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #433 on: May 15, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »

Yes. Screw Trump voters.

More people watch FOX than MSNBC and CNN, they're doing something right despite their behavior. Fix it.
Yes. Old white people that hate Democrats. I don’t care about them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #434 on: May 15, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »

Harris and Warren probably noticed that Buttigieg's and Sanders' polling has dwindled even in spite of them supposedly reaching that crossover audience. I don't think they're necessarily correlated, but I don't blame them for not wanting to hold a town hall there, just as much as I don't blame Buttigieg or Sanders for wanting to hold one.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #435 on: May 15, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »

Harris and Warren probably noticed that Buttigieg's and Sanders' polling has dwindled even in spite of them supposedly reaching that crossover audience. I don't think they're necessarily correlated, but I don't blame them for not wanting to hold a town hall there, just as much as I don't blame Buttigieg or Sanders for wanting to hold one.

I really don't think anyone is really going on FOX News expecting to win over votes, they go on there to prove they can go into the lion's den and face tough questioning.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #436 on: May 15, 2019, 07:01:30 PM »

I really don't think anyone is really going on FOX News expecting to win over votes, they go on there to prove they can go into the lion's den and face tough questioning.

Right, that too. It still doesn't look like it matters much though.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:03 AM »

It's satisfying to have this attitude and I often find myself agreeing with it. But it's an attitude for an activist, not for a leader. If Warren is running to be President of People Voting For Me, then fine, but she's running to be President of the United States and that includes the millions who watch Fox News, even if they support vile policies. It's obviously not a major issue and it shouldn't be, and I still love Warren, but what she's hinting here is that people who watch Fox News aren't good enough for her and she's not running to be their leader. That's problematic and won't do anything to keep at least a semblance of a united nation, especially after all the efforts Trump and Republican leadership did to destroy that unity.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »

but what she's hinting here is that people who watch Fox News aren't good enough for her and she's not running to be their leader.

That's not true though. She literally hasn't said anything about Fox News voters. She did a town hall in West Virginia last week for goodness sake.

It's entirely about Fox News the platform and not getting people who would otherwise watch Fox News (i.e., Warren supporters and political reporters/junkies) to bolster Fox ratings and reassure wary advertisers that the station is a good place to place ads.

Read the entire thread. Interpreting it as a lack of interest in reaching out to Trump voters is both unsubstantiated and uncharitable especially considering she explicitly states she is keeping Fox staff in her press corps and will always be open to questions from them.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #439 on: May 16, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »

That's not true though. She literally hasn't said anything about Fox News voters. She did a town hall in West Virginia last week for goodness sake.

It's entirely about Fox News the platform and not getting people who would otherwise watch Fox News (i.e., Warren supporters and political reporters/junkies) to bolster Fox ratings and reassure wary advertisers that the station is a good place to place ads.
But she was on Fox a year ago and "legitimized" that. What happened that she changed her mind?

Also, the claim that it would have significant impact on Fox' ratings etc is pretty weak, no?

I'd say that she thinks that it will help her politically. As simple as that.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2019, 07:08:48 PM »

But she was on Fox a year ago and "legitimized" that. What happened that she changed her mind?

There's a difference between doing an interview and holding an hour-long event entirely devoted to you and with your name in the title. Also Fox is a constant generator of outrageous content and stories  so this could pretty easily be a case of the frog realizing the water is getting hot and jumping from the pot.

Also, the claim that it would have significant impact on Fox' ratings etc is pretty weak, no?

I'd say that she thinks that it will help her politically. As simple as that.

It's definitely possible that this is some strategic gambit. But that's different from saying that Warren thinks that Fox viewers are not worth reaching out to or beneath her, which is demonstrably untrue.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: May 16, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »

but what she's hinting here is that people who watch Fox News aren't good enough for her and she's not running to be their leader.

Read the entire thread. Interpreting it as a lack of interest in reaching out to Trump voters is both unsubstantiated and uncharitable especially considering she explicitly states she is keeping Fox staff in her press corps and will always be open to questions from them.

That's a legitimate argument, and it's an issue I think is really not black and white. I respect what Warren is trying to do here, but her impact on Fox News ratings would be marginal at best so it's really a question of symbolism- if she's not appearing it symbolizes her opposition to Fox News on the core level, but if she is appearing it symbolizes that she's willing to face its very large audience and is running to lead them too, even if convincing them would be in vain (and I don't think WV appearances change that for voters who basically consume all their media in Fox), and perhaps more importantly that she's willing to face tough questions even in the lion's den. Which is more important? That's for primary voters to decide, but imo the former fits an activist and is nothing more than catharsis to satisfy the anger, and the latter fits a leader.

But this is all overblowing a very small issue. I may not agree with Warren's methods here, but I understand the political motivation behind it and I still love her.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #442 on: May 18, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »

People say there isn't rural elitism but she literally promises it to appeal to voters who won't even vote for her.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/live-coverage-planned-friday-for-presidential-candidate-warrens-visit-to-mingo-county

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2019, 04:01:33 PM »

Trump didn't like neither when Bernie or Pete came to Fox News, because they were pretty good. Trump would love if Warren came, because she would be destroyed.

She was smart enough to not to come, though.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2019, 03:40:31 PM by GP270watch »

A slew of polls this week show Warren gaining support and they're estimating it's coming at the expense of Bernie Sanders.

I can't speak to this because I've never been a Bernie supporter. Are there any Bernie folks here who have switched to Warren?

Also for Warren this is the first month of polling results showing her beating Trump head to head in multiple polls.
James Monroe

« Reply #445 on: May 24, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »

“To have an ally — she’s a woman, but she’s not a black woman — who can speak intelligently and has thought about people who don’t look like you, that resonates,” said Roxy D. Hall Williamson, a 49-year-old who was in the audience. “She stole the show to me.”

Since her appearance in Houston, Warren published an op-ed further detailing her maternal mortality plan in Essence, the country’s only magazine for black women with a circulation of more than 1 million. She wrote another piece on the significance of historically black colleges for Blavity, a popular website aimed at black millennials.

At this early stage, many black women are undecided about whom they will support. Following Harris’ January campaign launch, there was considerable excitement around her as the sole black woman in the race.

In Warren, some black women say they see kinship in a candidate who talks with substance and specificity about problems and solutions.

Warren building connection with black voters.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #446 on: May 24, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »

I can't speak to this because I've never been a Bernie supporter. Are there any Bernie folks here who have switched to Warren?

I’m probably the only Webb—Bernie—Warren supporter you’ll ever meet. Principles before pizzaz.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #447 on: May 26, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »

A slew of polls this week show Warren gaining support and they're estimating it's coming at the expense of Bernie Sanders.

Also for Warren this is the first month of polling results showing her beating Trump head to head in multiple polls.

Warren's my number 2 but I am reconsidering that.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #448 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »

Warren might become your top pick? Shocked
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #449 on: May 28, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »

Warren might become your top pick? Shocked

Yes. I really like what she's been saying; bringing forward policies that should really have been in place some years ago. She's shaping the conversation; the others are largely playing catch-up.

That's another thing. I LOVE that she is centering her campaign around her policies and not her personality. It's incredibly refreshing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies