Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:26:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366387 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6775 on: August 11, 2020, 08:47:42 AM »

I'm getting a feeling Harris isn't the pick. It's not just her scheduled speech at the DNC, the "unfollowing" of Joe Biden in her social media accounts is suspicious. I actually can't imagine her doing this over bitterness not being chosen, but I doubt her accounts were all hacked. Maybe some staffers just want to misslead pundits. We're probably going to read too much into every single detail since the campaign has been pretty good at keeping stuff from leaking.

Biden's gut probably wants either Rice or Whitmer, perhaps Warren. Probably he ultimately goes with Rice since she checks the AA female box and because he knows her the longest. I wouldn't be too much excited about Rice, but my opinion could change once we get an impression how she does on the campaign trail. Overall, I'd be more worried about VP candidate Rice than VP Rice.

She never unfollowed Biden, it was literally fake news.
Kylar Nicholas
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6776 on: August 11, 2020, 08:47:52 AM »

I'm getting a feeling Harris isn't the pick. It's not just her scheduled speech at the DNC, the "unfollowing" of Joe Biden in her social media accounts is suspicious. I actually can't imagine her doing this over bitterness not being chosen, but I doubt her accounts were all hacked. Maybe some staffers just want to misslead pundits. We're probably going to read too much into every single detail since the campaign has been pretty good at keeping stuff from leaking.

Biden's gut probably wants either Rice or Whitmer, perhaps Warren. Probably he ultimately goes with Rice since she checks the AA female box and knowing her the longest. I wouldn't be too much excited about Rice, but my opinion could change once we get an impression how she does at the campaign trail. Overall, I'd be more worried about VP candidate Rice than VP Rice.
I'm starting to agree with you. It will be interesting to see if he actually does pick a minority. My mom and I really hope he doesn't just pick someone on that basis.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6777 on: August 11, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »

Biden's gut probably wants either Rice or Whitmer, perhaps Warren. Probably he ultimately goes with Rice since she checks the AA female box and because he knows her the longest. I wouldn't be too much excited about Rice, but my opinion could change once we get an impression how she does on the campaign trail. Overall, I'd be more worried about VP candidate Rice than VP Rice.

She never unfollowed Biden, it was literally fake news.

I'm not 100% certain she ever did, but she doesn't follow him or his campaign as we speak. Almost all other 2020 contenders do, even Butti and Booker.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6778 on: August 11, 2020, 08:56:14 AM »

Biden now assembled a staff for the VP according to MSNBC
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6779 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »

I'm starting to feel like we could get a Val Demings surprise, been awfully quiet the past few days.
That wouldn't surprise me tbh. Demings is 63, African Methodist Episcopal, and from Florida, plus she is of color. Sleeper pick.

Tbh, I doubt. Demings doesn't have much of a relationship with Biden, which appears to be a key criteria for his selection. Demings also has not much experience in higher office, having been a House member for less than 4 years. Some may question her "being ready to serve as prez from Day 1". Both of these things speak against her, let alone possible "baggage" from her tenure as police chief. I believe her mentioning may be more of an attempt to rise her profile for a future gov or senate bid.
Kylar Nicholas
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6780 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-campaign-puts-vp-team-place-ahead-announcement-n1236359
Here's the link for that, friend  Smile in case you wanted it posted, trying to be friendly and help out. I am starting to think we could find out tonight and the big reveal tomorrow, I hope.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6781 on: August 11, 2020, 09:03:49 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-campaign-puts-vp-team-place-ahead-announcement-n1236359
Here's the link for that, friend  Smile in case you wanted it posted, trying to be friendly and help out. I am starting to think we could find out tonight and the big reveal tomorrow, I hope.

Thanks, I tried to find it earlier.
Kylar Nicholas
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6782 on: August 11, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »

My pleasure! Like I said earlier with this news, it makes it even more of a pity I have to work 11 AM-8PM central time today. This forum has been a blessing to keep me informed of all the developments in this veepstakes.
I still like to think what if Hillary had picked Tom Vilsack, the reported other finalist for her in 2016?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6783 on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:20 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6784 on: August 11, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »

Here's the link for that, friend  Smile in case you wanted it posted, trying to be friendly and help out. I am starting to think we could find out tonight and the big reveal tomorrow, I hope.

Vince Evans will serve as the running mate’s political director after serving as the campaign’s southern political director.

Amanda Perez will be the running mate’s policy adviser, after serving as policy director for Cory Booker’s presidential bid.

Southern political director says black to me; Booker policy adviser says more moderate/standard Dem. If I had to guess I’d say Harris - as usual.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6785 on: August 11, 2020, 09:08:07 AM »

Biden's gut probably wants either Rice or Whitmer, perhaps Warren. Probably he ultimately goes with Rice since she checks the AA female box and knowing her the longest. I wouldn't be too much excited about Rice, but my opinion could change once we get an impression how she does at the campaign trail. Overall, I'd be more worried about VP candidate Rice than VP Rice.
I'm starting to agree with you. It will be interesting to see if he actually does pick a minority. My mom and I really hope he doesn't just pick someone on that basis.

Well that's the thing with Harris - she's very qualified regardless of her race.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6786 on: August 11, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »

Hmm... this makes me think it's Harris.

Never forget this moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZOj5Yaj9vs
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6787 on: August 11, 2020, 09:10:08 AM »

Demings is up on PredictIt FWIW. Still far behind Rice and Harris, but could be a good investment for anyone who wants to make a quick buck once she's inevitably not the pick lol.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6788 on: August 11, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »

Probably reading too much into nothing (though to be fair, 2008's selection of the running mate's chief of staff - Patti Solis Doyle - certainly gave away who it wasn't gonna be), but the fact that Jean-Pierre joined the Biden campaign from MoveOn is interesting, given that the organization is stalwartly progressive (for example, it overwhelmingly endorsed Bernie in the primaries). Perhaps this is a good sign for a fellow progressive like Warren?
Kylar Nicholas
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6789 on: August 11, 2020, 09:11:18 AM »

Hopefully it's not Kamala but I do agree with what was said a moment ago, she has the qualifications, even if sometimes we disagree on policies.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6790 on: August 11, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »

Demings is up on PredictIt FWIW. Still far behind Rice and Harris, but could be a good investment for anyone who wants to make a quick buck once she's inevitably not the pick lol.

It appears that Demings and Rice are enjoying a small bounce from them not being on the DNC schedule I think
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6791 on: August 11, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »

Probably reading too much into nothing (though to be fair, 2008's selection of the running mate's chief of staff - Patti Solis Doyle - certainly gave away who it wasn't gonna be), but the fact that Jean-Pierre joined the Biden campaign from MoveOn is interesting, given that the organization is stalwartly progressive (for example, it overwhelmingly endorsed Bernie in the primaries). Perhaps this is a good sign for a fellow progressive like Warren?

or a fellow progressive like Harris Wink
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6792 on: August 11, 2020, 09:15:14 AM »

After all the heavily publicized vetting of black women I think the selection is a black woman.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6793 on: August 11, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »

My guess is that she was chosen because she's incredibly gifted and good at what she does and she likely would've been the pick for this job regardless of the VP.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6794 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:25 AM »

Meanwhile MSNBC is hyping that the decision could be "any moment"
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6795 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »

It's also possible the VP, whoever it is, had a hand in picking her own staff, and they liked her.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6796 on: August 11, 2020, 09:22:24 AM »

I hope it isn't Harris, but I have a feeling it was always going to be here.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6797 on: August 11, 2020, 09:23:15 AM »

It's also possible the VP, whoever it is, had a hand in picking her own staff, and they liked her.

The Staff choices seem to be Kamala allies in KJP (pretty much helped her with that incident lol) and Perez (Worked with Booker's campaign and is close to Harris)
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #6798 on: August 11, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6799 on: August 11, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »