Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:07:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 368657 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5675 on: August 07, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »

Rice is an untested gamble and there‘s no need for that this cycle, plus what does she even bring to the table electorally?  Duckworth, Whitmer, or even Harris are much safer (and thus, smarter) plays.

Yeah, Rice is untested which I think maybe her ultimate red flag. No electoral experience, and no experience with the gruel of a campaign. Not to mention, she excites nobody, objectively turns off more voters than most of the candidates, and her strengths are already Bidens strengths. The literal only things she has for her is that shes the closet to Biden, which I know means a lot, but you still need more than that.

Not to mention, doesn't really set up Biden's calling of wanting to elevate "the future of the democratic party" with him being the Bridge. The Bridge to... Rice?

Pretty much how I feel. If you're willing to sacrifice the "moderate" voters, might as well go with Elizabeth Warren and get some extra progressive support.

The ironic thing about this statement is that all of the polling shows that going with Warren wouldn't even sacrifice moderate voters (in fact, she'd actually help gain among independents, including moderates), all the while still getting extra progressive support.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5676 on: August 07, 2020, 10:34:51 AM »

The only way that Rice makes sense to me is if Biden prioritices getting a VP who he is personally very comfortable with. Electorally, I don't see how he does him any good and she could potentially do quite a bit of harm.

I'd prefer Warren or Harris, or maybe Duckworth.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5677 on: August 07, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »

People ITT are vastly overrating the electoral impact a VP has. The poster who said Rice would doom the ticket LMAO. What was the last VP to make an electoral difference? Remember when Lloyd Bentsen monstered that idiot Dan Quayle in '88?

Biden's favourite to win, and if he doesn't it won't be because of his Veep. Therefore he should pick whoever he would be most : simpatico' in government with, i.e. Rice.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5678 on: August 07, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »

The only way that Rice makes sense to me is if Biden prioritices getting a VP who he is personally very comfortable with. Electorally, I don't see how he does him any good and she could potentially do quite a bit of harm.

For the most part, it sounds like Tim Kaine all over again. Ugh. Please...
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5679 on: August 07, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »

Rice is an untested gamble and there‘s no need for that this cycle, plus what does she even bring to the table electorally?  Duckworth, Whitmer, or even Harris are much safer (and thus, smarter) plays.

Yeah, Rice is untested which I think maybe her ultimate red flag. No electoral experience, and no experience with the gruel of a campaign. Not to mention, she excites nobody, objectively turns off more voters than most of the candidates, and her strengths are already Bidens strengths. The literal only things she has for her is that shes the closet to Biden, which I know means a lot, but you still need more than that.

Not to mention, doesn't really set up Biden's calling of wanting to elevate "the future of the democratic party" with him being the Bridge. The Bridge to... Rice?

Pretty much how I feel. If you're willing to sacrifice the "moderate" voters, might as well go with Elizabeth Warren and get some extra progressive support.

The ironic thing about this statement is that all of the polling shows that going with Warren wouldn't even sacrifice moderate voters (in fact, she'd actually help gain among independents, including moderates), all the while still getting extra progressive support.

That's because the old centrist liberal adage that you can only get independent voters by acting like a Republican is false. Many independents have progressive economic policies.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5680 on: August 07, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »

Is he just...Biden his time...waiting for the most opportune moment to announce his pick?
Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5681 on: August 07, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »

Is he just...Biden his time...waiting for the most opportune moment to announce his pick?

randomusername

« Reply #5682 on: August 07, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »

I don't disagree, just going by the conventional narrative. That's why I used moderates in quotation marks.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5683 on: August 07, 2020, 11:05:13 AM »

What state is Susan Rice from? Is she well-liked there?

ETA: She's from the hotly contested swing state of the Douglass Commonwealth.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5684 on: August 07, 2020, 11:07:50 AM »

People ITT are vastly overrating the electoral impact a VP has. The poster who said Rice would doom the ticket LMAO. What was the last VP to make an electoral difference? Remember when Lloyd Bentsen monstered that idiot Dan Quayle in '88?

Biden's favourite to win, and if he doesn't it won't be because of his Veep. Therefore he should pick whoever he would be most : simpatico' in government with, i.e. Rice.

Yep, I enjoy reading this thread and all the speculation but ultimately the VP will have very little effect on the election. It only matters for what happens after election day.

And if you're gonna oppose Rice please find a better reason than Benghazi
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5685 on: August 07, 2020, 11:12:34 AM »

What state is Susan Rice from? Is she well-liked there?

ETA: She's from the hotly contested swing state of the Douglass Commonwealth.

Her & her family have been most associated with Maine, I think she split her time growing up between DC & there.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5686 on: August 07, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »

I'm sorry, but there's just no coming back from Castro, Scientology, arson, and the Nation of Islam.

I think Bass knows she's done.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5687 on: August 07, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »

For the love of God, can someone tell Ed Rendell to STFU?

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5688 on: August 07, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »

Rice has sold her stock.

Harris has removed most of her merch from her Senate campaign website.

BidenWhitmer.com redirects to Democrats.Org

Which of these do you think is the most damning
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #5689 on: August 07, 2020, 11:27:24 AM »

I mean, Warren probably won’t be picked, but this is a pretty dumb thing to say.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5690 on: August 07, 2020, 11:36:28 AM »

Rice has sold her stock.

Biden is gonna turn us into Iraq and we’re gonna have three VPs at the same time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5691 on: August 07, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »

Welp, given Rendell's track record thus far, let's get ready to see VP Warren Tongue
Still Nervous
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5692 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:22 AM »

Rice has sold her stock.

My bet about the bidenwhitmer domain is just buying it to reserve it. Domains like bidenharris.com or bidenwarren.com seem to be owned by others, so maybe they were just trying to prevent someone else from getting it just in case.

Also, yeah, Ed Rendell should STFU forever
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5693 on: August 07, 2020, 11:50:09 AM »

It seems foolish to choose Whitmer. She’s served 2 years and MI is in the middle of a pandemic! VP would be a waste of her talents and time. Gilchrist would be a good Gov though.

But, I suppose choosing Whitmer might be wise, given that Biden has a ~20% chance of dying or having to resign. The VP needs to be someone who is ready to take over on day one. Whitmer, Harris, and Warren fit that bill. Rice simply doesn’t. Biden doesn't need a buddy. He needs an equal.

Rice may have some faults, but not being able to take over on day one isn't one of them.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5694 on: August 07, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2020, 12:04:05 PM by BidenHarris2020 »

Rice has sold her stock.

Whitmer it is. Makes sense.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5695 on: August 07, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »

I don't like Whitmer as a pick. In my view, if he goes with a white woman, it has to be Warren. I think almost everybody outside of the NeverTrumpers will be pretty happy with Warren. I certainly don't think black people are going to refrain from voting for the ticket because Warren is white. The left will certainly be a lot more enthused if Warren is on.

Warren or Harris are the best picks for me. Duckworth is also OK. I don't really like any of the other options.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5696 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »

Ed Rendell is being even more insufferable than usual lately.
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #5697 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »

He's not going to take a Governor from a hard hit state.

It's just not going to happen.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5698 on: August 07, 2020, 12:11:49 PM »

My current prediction

Democratic ticket for 2020 presidential election is
Joe Biden for President
Gretchen Whitmer for Vice President
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5699 on: August 07, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »

Any guesses when the announcement will be made?
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 232 233 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies