Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 02:59:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366112 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5475 on: August 05, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »

There are valid criticisms of Rice, but the point that her son being conservative would somehow be a liability is silly. Everyone has family members they disagree with politically.

Very true.  Even in my own family, my dad is a hardcore MAGA Trumper, while my mom and I are decidedly not.
Pulaski

« Reply #5476 on: August 05, 2020, 09:05:44 PM »

Yeah, let's not forget Dick Cheney in particular. As long as the son doesn't start vocally criticising her on twitter and asking people not to vote for her, I can't see it being an issue at all.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5477 on: August 05, 2020, 09:07:10 PM »

Yeah, let's not forget Dick Cheney in particular. As long as the son doesn't start vocally criticising her on twitter and asking people not to vote for her, I can't see it being an issue at all.

He actually might do that though....isn't he a very, very outspoken Trumper?
Pulaski

« Reply #5478 on: August 05, 2020, 09:11:28 PM »

Even then I can't seeing it being a major issue. Maybe a human interest story for a couple of days, a question at the VP debate, but in times of major recession and deadly pandemic ravaging the nation I can't see the VP nominee's son saying anything really cutting through.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5479 on: August 05, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »

Even then I can't seeing it being a major issue. Maybe a human interest story for a couple of days, a question at the VP debate, but in times of major recession and deadly pandemic ravaging the nation I can't see the VP nominee's son saying anything really cutting through.

Not sure it will matter either, just not discounting the possibility that he'd actively campaign against his mom.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5480 on: August 05, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »

MSNBC is reporting that it's definitely not down to Harris & Rice but more than that, including "candidates who have not gotten as much attention in the media."

W A R R E N   G A N G   R I S E   U P   Tongue
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5481 on: August 05, 2020, 09:34:29 PM »

The Veep is clearly gonna be Kamala Harris at this point....just a few more days y'all.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5482 on: August 05, 2020, 09:35:33 PM »

MSNBC is reporting that it's definitely not down to Harris & Rice but more than that, including "candidates who have not gotten as much attention in the media."

Biden's running a good campaign staying low and letting Trump destroy himself-last thing we need is somebody who's going to fall for every piece of bait Trump puts out there.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5483 on: August 05, 2020, 09:43:16 PM »

I would have the big concern with Rice, rather than the Benghazi angle (which would only galvanise staunch Rs) is her lack of electoral history. If she's someone that Biden wants to potentially pass the mantle to, not having proved her ability to campaign and win an election in her own right is surely a worry. I know supposedly it's all about ~ability to govern~ but there are many, many roles, both in and out of cabinet, that ensure she's in the inner ring without being VP.
The VP is also someone who is going to have to be a fundraiser and surrogate for the 2022 midterms on Day One. Rice isn’t up to that grueling of a schedule as well as helping sell the POTUS’ policies and dealing with a potentially obstructionist Senate. I don’t see how it’s a contest between Harris and Rice. I don’t care about her foreign policy experience there are a million roles where she can provide that experience.

I wouldn't go that far. She may be, for all I know. But a lack of experience doing so would weigh heavily on Biden's mind, I would have thought.

Valid point... of course, if we're basing it on electoral prowess, Harris has only run one federal race and it wasn't even against a Republican. It was against a fellow Democrat when she had the endorsements of pretty much the entire party. Not to mention her management skills are a disaster. Does anyone remember how her campaign had no clear lines of authority and the manager was made the scapegoat for the disasters when he obviously wasn't running the whole show?

In contrast Elizabeth Warren was the top female vote getter in the presidential primaries with 2.8 million votes, 3rd place finisher overall, and the top finisher among 1st time presidential candidates. She also gave Biden tremendous help by going after Michael Bloomberg and allowing Biden to take the "moderate with lots of name rec" lane.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #5484 on: August 05, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »

The Veep is clearly gonna be Kamala Harris at this point....just a few more days y'all.
I don’t think so but that’s just me. It might be.
Pulaski

« Reply #5485 on: August 05, 2020, 09:47:19 PM »

I would have the big concern with Rice, rather than the Benghazi angle (which would only galvanise staunch Rs) is her lack of electoral history. If she's someone that Biden wants to potentially pass the mantle to, not having proved her ability to campaign and win an election in her own right is surely a worry. I know supposedly it's all about ~ability to govern~ but there are many, many roles, both in and out of cabinet, that ensure she's in the inner ring without being VP.
The VP is also someone who is going to have to be a fundraiser and surrogate for the 2022 midterms on Day One. Rice isn’t up to that grueling of a schedule as well as helping sell the POTUS’ policies and dealing with a potentially obstructionist Senate. I don’t see how it’s a contest between Harris and Rice. I don’t care about her foreign policy experience there are a million roles where she can provide that experience.

I wouldn't go that far. She may be, for all I know. But a lack of experience doing so would weigh heavily on Biden's mind, I would have thought.

Valid point... of course, if we're basing it on electoral prowess, Harris has only run one federal race and it wasn't even against a Republican. It was against a fellow Democrat when she had the endorsements of pretty much the entire party. Not to mention her management skills are a disaster. Does anyone remember how her campaign had no clear lines of authority and the manager was made the scapegoat for the disasters when he obviously wasn't running the whole show?

In contrast Elizabeth Warren was the top female vote getter in the presidential primaries with 2.8 million votes, 3rd place finisher overall, and the top finisher among 1st time presidential candidates. She also gave Biden tremendous help by going after Michael Bloomberg and allowing Biden to take the "moderate with lots of name rec" lane.

Well, yeah, that's why I'd prefer Warren, Baldwin or Duckworth.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5486 on: August 05, 2020, 09:48:00 PM »

Biden's running a good campaign staying low and letting Trump destroy himself-last thing we need is somebody who's going to fall for every piece of bait Trump puts out there.

The fact that Biden's running a good campaign should lead him to select the candidate who's been shown by the multiple polls which have measured the net effect on electability to have the least voters discouraged by her selection & the most (including lean-Trump, undecided, & lean-Biden voters) galvanized by it.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5487 on: August 05, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »

Politico has another interview with Duckworth.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly-coronavirus-special-edition/2020/08/05/one-vp-contenders-child-care-crisis-warnings-489996
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5488 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »

Apparently Sen. Harris missed the Senate Juduciary Hearing today..

Interesting.  Could very well be for a VP interview (not exactly shocking, as she's clearly going to be interviewed even if she isn't picked, but still interesting to know).
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5489 on: August 06, 2020, 12:46:35 AM »

Yeah, I’m pretty convinced that the Rice hype is meant to make the Harris pick that some of us have seen coming a light-year away less predictable.

Either way, my #hottake about this is that his VP pick will not be “the most consequential event of the 2020 Presidential Election.” It’s something that people will talk about (i.e. the pundits and Atlas will freak out about) for a week or so, but it’s not going to change many minds at all and will hardly have any impact on the race in the long term, if at all.

We’ll still get plenty of galaxy brain takes, like that Wisconsin will become Safe R, since Harris will “scare” WWC voters, or how Biden will do better among black voters than Obama in ‘08 because of her. Some will say that she’s too far left, some will say that she’s not far left enough, some will say that she’s going to supercharge Democratic turnout, some will say that she’ll depress turnout and make Republicans more enthusiastic to vote against Biden, etc.

Either way, see you all in about two weeks, when Harris is the VP pick, and people are done being thrilled/disappointed/satisfied/depressed/shocked/concerned/ecstatic/angry/aroused by it and things get back to being exactly as they are right now.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5490 on: August 06, 2020, 01:29:29 AM »

Not sure it will matter either, just not discounting the possibility that he'd actively campaign against his mom.

He has vowed to campaign against Biden even if his mother is picked for VP.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #5491 on: August 06, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »

A lot of pages here so... I'll ask the question about if it has been discussed yet:
What are the chances that the reason Biden hasn't announced his pick yet is because he explicitly doesn't want the news cycles to get off of Trump constantly shooting himself in the foot? And that there's just been so much bad news for the president constantly that there just hasn't been a good opportunity to slip in the announcement?
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5492 on: August 06, 2020, 01:57:42 AM »

A lot of pages here so... I'll ask the question about if it has been discussed yet:
What are the chances that the reason Biden hasn't announced his pick yet is because he explicitly doesn't want the news cycles to get off of Trump constantly shooting himself in the foot? And that there's just been so much bad news for the president constantly that there just hasn't been a good opportunity to slip in the announcement?

I doubt it.  If that theory were true, there would never be a good time to slip in the announcement.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5493 on: August 06, 2020, 02:14:56 AM »

Biden may as well announce his running mate on Election Day. And even then, it'll be in the same news cycle as Trump ranting about the "unfair" vote counting that morning
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #5494 on: August 06, 2020, 08:01:36 AM »

I’m beginning to believe that Biden will in fact announce on the 14th (Friday before the convention).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5495 on: August 06, 2020, 09:45:42 AM »

Wow, congratulations to Tulsi Gabbard!
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5496 on: August 06, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »

Stop! Stop! She’s already dead!

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5497 on: August 06, 2020, 10:04:03 AM »

Stop! Stop! She’s already dead!

Amazing how one person can have so much baggage.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5498 on: August 06, 2020, 10:06:37 AM »

I'm convinced now that Bass was the definition of a red herring, but man does someone have it out for her lol
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #5499 on: August 06, 2020, 10:07:17 AM »

Biden says Harris it’s still very much in Contention. In other news, water is wet! Morr at 11!
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies