Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 08:37:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364616 times)
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5150 on: August 03, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »

From that story:

Sources close to the selection process and others with knowledge of its deliberations tell NBC News that Biden planned this weekend to drill down on vetting materials with the goal of narrowing the list down to a “three or four” candidates. But several factors stand in the way of a public announcement, which aides say is unlikely to come this week.

One key element, a person involved in the process said, was polling data the campaign was waiting on on each of the potential candidates. Even as the campaign looks to avoid a choice that could prove to be a political liability, the most important ingredient to Biden is having personal chemistry with the choice. Biden then hopes to meet with each finalist — in person if possible, but at least virtually — by midweek.

The final one-on-one meetings are seen as critical for Biden, who is looking to recreate with his choice the same kind of close, trusting bond he shared as vice president with Barack Obama.

Meeting the finalists "by midweek" means these interviews are happening very imminently....maybe even starting today, for all we know.

Also:

Biden advisers do not expect a public rollout until next week at the earliest, and not just because the process remains fluid now that the ball is in Biden’s court. There are still questions to be answered about exactly how and where an announcement would take place, without the traditional kind of rally that in past cycles has served as a launching point for the nominating convention.

Next week “at the earliest”?  I guess that means waiting until convention week itself isn’t being ruled out.

This article mentions Whitmer as a late possibility. As I’ve said countless times, she makes more sense than most people on the list.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5151 on: August 03, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »

The people concern trolling about Warren’s having been a Republican 30 years ago are gonna freak when they hear about Brown v. Plata and Harris’s attitude towards pot.
That y’all can’t see the irony in White people telling Black people on this forum that Warren (who pretended to be a woman of color for decades and supported the GOP during the War on Drugs and AIDS crisis) has done more for us than any other politician is peak Atlas.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5152 on: August 03, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

The people concern trolling about Warren’s having been a Republican 30 years ago are gonna freak when they hear about Brown v. Plata and Harris’s attitude towards pot.
That y’all can’t see the irony in White people telling Black people on this forum that Warren (who pretended to be a woman of color for decades and supported the GOP during the War on Drugs and AIDS crisis) has done more for us than any other politician is peak Atlas.

Some people just can’t stand that Harris is the future of the party
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5153 on: August 03, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »

Now is the time for some enterprising journalists to be tracking the every movement of each of the presumed finalists.  If they are actually going to meet Biden in person, then potentially you can find clues of their travel.  Though veep candidates often tend to be sneaky about this.  Paul Ryan was supposedly on a "family vacation" when he snuck out to meet with Romney back in 2012.

Of course, if the meetings are virtual, then this doesn't apply.  They could be anywhere.

There should be reporters camped outside his Delaware residence day and night.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5154 on: August 03, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »

Some people just can’t stand that Harris is the future of the party
They're too busy posting about John Rolfe's wife or Ms. Fargo
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5155 on: August 03, 2020, 12:34:15 PM »

Now is the time for some enterprising journalists to be tracking the every movement of each of the presumed finalists.  If they are actually going to meet Biden in person, then potentially you can find clues of their travel.  Though veep candidates often tend to be sneaky about this.  Paul Ryan was supposedly on a "family vacation" when he snuck out to meet with Romney back in 2012.

Of course, if the meetings are virtual, then this doesn't apply.  They could be anywhere.

There should be reporters camped outside his Delaware residence day and night.

I guess one thing even we could be doing is watching their Twitter feeds to see if they drop any clues as to where they are.  Do we even know if Harris, Bass, Duckworth, and Warren are in their home states or DC this week?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5156 on: August 03, 2020, 12:35:23 PM »

There's STILL 11 women in the mix? Jesus.... This nomination stopped being about the best possible candidate a very long time ago. And this is why I'm frustrated

It stopped being about the best possible candidate on February 26th.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #5157 on: August 03, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »

Hoping for Karen Bass at this point as it's my belief she has the best ability of the commonly mentioned names to unite the ticket and take the George Floyd movement to the presidential stage. I will however support Biden no matter his VP.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5158 on: August 03, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »

I'm following the next HEALS/HEROES Act package and they still got this nonsense with the VP going on. I'm sure he's waiting for them to get a deal done before announcing it, but Congress is being Congress and it looks like the whole thing is about to derail because Mnunchin & Meadows are still running around crying that $600/wk boost is too much when a majority of people are making less even with the boost, but god forbid people in poverty make extra money. Scumbags.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5159 on: August 03, 2020, 12:48:58 PM »

I'm following the next HEALS/HEROES Act package and they still got this nonsense with the VP going on. I'm sure he's waiting for them to get a deal done before announcing it, but Congress is being Congress and it looks like the whole thing is about to derail because Mnunchin & Meadows are still running around crying that $600/wk boost is too much when a majority of people are making less even with the boost, but god forbid people in poverty make extra money. Scumbags.
If Biden is waiting on Congress, the VP pick isnt coming until next year
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5160 on: August 03, 2020, 12:50:29 PM »

Much ado about nothing 

exactly. and this has been the case all along. how "pundits" dont understand this by now is just so ridiculous.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5161 on: August 03, 2020, 12:54:56 PM »

Oh, the pundits understand. They just need to manufacture a controversy for ratings.

I've already resigned myself months ago.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5162 on: August 03, 2020, 12:58:54 PM »

There has to be some strategy to it, maybe announce tomorrow if they're in a stalemate and have the VP make the rounds and push Congress to act. But if they don't pass a stimulus bill, it'll accelerate an already on-coming depression.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5163 on: August 03, 2020, 01:00:47 PM »

Pure comedy. 😂

That you can’t see that Black people aren’t even pulling for Harris is even more ironic. She didn’t catch on in the primary and she isn’t blowing the rest of the potential VP picks out of the water among blacks in polls for a reason. Yeah she has a black/brown face, but Warren has actually fought for black/brown causes and not locked people up for marijuana possession.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #5164 on: August 03, 2020, 01:13:11 PM »

Are people still talking about Warren having been a Republican 40 years ago? Do these people also believe Ronald Reagan was a secret leftist since he was a New Deal Dem before he wasn't?
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5165 on: August 03, 2020, 01:17:05 PM »

Pure comedy. 😂

That you can’t see that Black people aren’t even pulling for Harris is even more ironic. She didn’t catch on in the primary and she isn’t blowing the rest of the potential VP picks out of the water among blacks in polls for a reason. Yeah she has a black/brown face, but Warren has actually fought for black/brown causes and not locked people up for marijuana possession.
I'm black. Dont you dare talk down to me.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5166 on: August 03, 2020, 01:17:20 PM »

Are people still talking about Warren having been a Republican 40 years ago? Do these people also believe Ronald Reagan was a secret leftist since he was a New Deal Dem before he wasn't?

What about Bush and wanting amnesty? Hillary Clinton was a Republican too. I swear, if you want to look at Elizabeth Warren's record for the last 20 years, that's what she should be judged on.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5167 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »

There has to be some strategy to it, maybe announce tomorrow if they're in a stalemate and have the VP make the rounds and push Congress to act. But if they don't pass a stimulus bill, it'll accelerate an already on-coming depression.
Interesting strategy. Even more so if the VP  nominee is a member of Congress herself.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5168 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »

Pure comedy. 😂

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5169 on: August 03, 2020, 01:25:36 PM »

We're still doing the "Warren was a Republican 40 years ago" schtick? Lame.

Major eyeroll.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5170 on: August 03, 2020, 01:27:21 PM »

Interesting strategy. Even more so if the VP  nominee is a member of Congress herself.

I agree. Kamala Harris has been pushing the $2000/mo until the pandemic is over for every American which I believe Ro Khanna also sponsored. Karen Bass the Chair of the Black Congressional Caucus. Elizabeth Warren as well would do well in that spot. Biden really needs to go with his gut, if he really is uncomfortable with Kamala Harris, then don't pick her, might be a little short-sighted but do what's best for you, he earned this nomination.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5171 on: August 03, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »

Pure comedy. 😂

Newsflash: Clinton1996 is also Black! Still think you're being "talk[ed] down to" because you're Black?

Nobody's "talk[ing] down to" you because you're Black. You're being "talk[ed] down to" because you close-mindedly refuse to understand other people & consider their viewpoints, much less actually listen to them about their potentially different beliefs.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #5172 on: August 03, 2020, 01:41:48 PM »

What does Kamala even add to the ticket? Maybe some slightly increased turnout in California? A half-black woman from California isn’t gonna increase turnout amongst southern and Rust Belt blacks as much as some people here act like it would (which is kinda patronizing and racist tbh). Biden already appeals enough to moderates, and progressives aren’t big fans of Kamala. She isn’t even a good debater. If Biden wants to increase turnout amongst blacks in some swing states, then Bottoms would be a much more logical choice since Georgia is a toss up state.

Go back 15-30 pages and start reading. This has been litigated to death.
Can you just give me some of the highlights
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5173 on: August 03, 2020, 01:42:17 PM »

I refuse to argue with a white man who claims to know what "blacks" want or don't want.  Not in 2020.

Interesting strategy. Even more so if the VP  nominee is a member of Congress herself.

I agree. Kamala Harris has been pushing the $2000/mo until the pandemic is over for every American which I believe Ro Khanna also sponsored. Karen Bass the Chair of the Black Congressional Caucus. Elizabeth Warren as well would do well in that spot. Biden really needs to go with his gut, if he really is uncomfortable with Kamala Harris, then don't pick her, might be a little short-sighted but do what's best for you, he earned this nomination.
Is there precedent for that? A VP nominee who is also a member of congress, taking an active vocal role (in negotiations) in the midst of an election. I'm trying to think back to 2012.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5174 on: August 03, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »

Pure comedy. 😂

Newsflash: Clinton1996 is also Black! Still think you're being "talk[ed] down to" because you're Black?

Nobody's "talk[ing] down to" you because you're Black. You're being "talk[ed] down to" because you close-mindedly refuse to understand other people & consider their viewpoints, much less actually listen to them about their potentially different beliefs.

What he said.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 206 [207] 208 209 210 211 212 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies