Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 04:24:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363152 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4575 on: July 29, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »

Next week The convention can't come soon enough. I'm tired of the Pro vs Anti Kamala camps bickering about which one is more irritating. You both are!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4576 on: July 29, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »

Next week The convention can't come soon enough. I'm tired of the Pro vs Anti Kamala camps bickering about which one is more irritating. You both are!

I don't get the hype around her, nor do I get the disdain. Kamala is very generic center left Dem
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4577 on: July 29, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »

I don't get the hype around her, nor do I get the disdain. Kamala is very generic center left Dem

Exactly!  And that's why she'd be such a good pick.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4578 on: July 29, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »

Remember the last time we did that?

ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4579 on: July 29, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/biden-allies-move-to-stop-kamala-harris-from-becoming-vice-president.html

There is much more indication today that this Harris and Rice surge of the past few days could be a smokescreen.

This is code for "black woman doesn't know her place".

To be fair though, there does seem to have been a trend with recent Presidential nominees picking running mates who don't have presidential ambitions themselves or at least have moved past them.  Its been reported as such that that was one of the reasons why Obama picked Biden. Likewise Bush with Cheney.

Not that that means Harris doesn't get picked but a premium on a VP who isn't going to be overly concerned with their own political future at the expense of the President appears to have grown.

Obviously Biden being over his own presidential aspirations didn't turn out to be true, but I think most would agree that he didn't spend his time as VP still posturing for the job.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4580 on: July 29, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/biden-allies-move-to-stop-kamala-harris-from-becoming-vice-president.html

There is much more indication today that this Harris and Rice surge of the past few days could be a smokescreen.

This is code for "black woman doesn't know her place".

To be fair though, there does seem to have been a trend with recent Presidential nominees picking running mates who don't have presidential ambitions themselves or at least have moved past them.  Its been reported as such that that was one of the reasons why Obama picked Biden. Likewise Bush with Cheney.

Not that that means Harris doesn't get picked but a premium on a VP who isn't going to be overly concerned with their own political future at the expense of the President appears to have grown.

Obviously Biden being over his own presidential aspirations didn't turn out to be true, but I think most would agree that he didn't spend his time as VP still posturing for the job.
"The concerns focus on her attacks on Biden during a primary debate last year, bringing into question her loyalty to the former vice president. Some also argue that she’s too ambitious and that she will be solely focused on eventually becoming president."

Why would any of you want a person with this mindset in the office of VP, white, black, or latina?
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #4581 on: July 29, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 04:22:43 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

This seems like one of the most speculated decisions in recent history.

- Baldwin talking up the decision.

- Harris and Rice's betting odds swinging.

- Warren's fundraiser with Joe on Friday.

- Whitmer, Bass, and Demings coy on the issue.

Has a running mate decision ever been this close? Really a great job by the Joe team on keeping everything so quiet in terms of leaks.

I totally agree I'm honestly kinda stumped on who it'll be. I can't help but feel the conventional wisdom is gonna be wrong on this one, the reports about Biden not wanting someone to outshine him and run in 2024 make sense to me. But then again maybe it's all a smokescreen.

- Rice
- Harris
- Duckworth
- Bass

seem to be the most likely picks to me. Harris and Duckworth being chosen give tons fuel to those rising stars, which Biden might not want, also there are questions about the personal views of Harris, and picking Duckworth at this time could be awkward as a non-black person of color

Rice fits best with Biden, probably won't run in 24, but would be a really weird fit for the office, plus could re-litigate Benghazi stuff.

At this point I'm thinking mayyyybe Bass? She just seems to do the least harm, with the only hits on her being the Castro thing (which I don't think will matter) and her age and boringness, but a kind of return to normalcy seems to be what Biden is going for, not generational change.

Edit: I totally forgot about Demings but Orlando Police stuff could bite, also it seems from what I can see that she is being considered less? But hell maybe that's a smokescreen!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4582 on: July 29, 2020, 04:20:24 PM »

Kamala is very left-wing. It's scary how fast American politics has shifted, lol. I feel like "moderate" voters like me are being force fed a bunch of leftwing gobbledygook just because we think Trump and the current GOP are garbage. I really want Trump and the GOP eliminated, but I'm skeptical of a lot of the proposals coming from Kamala and other dems. Just because she isn't as fanatical as Bernie/Warren doesn't mean Kamala is "center left"
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4583 on: July 29, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »

and what are these "reviews" from behind the scenes? i haven't really heard many people speak negatively about Harris "behind the scenes"?

I read years ago that Harris isn't a good administrator and that her offices both as San Francisco DA and California AG were chaotic.

Know some people who worked at CA DOJ at the time who say the same thing. Not sure how I feel about it.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4584 on: July 29, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »

Kamala is very left-wing. It's scary how fast American politics has shifted, lol. I feel like "moderate" voters like me are being force fed a bunch of leftwing gobbledygook just because we think Trump and the current GOP are garbage. I really want Trump and the GOP eliminated, but I'm skeptical of a lot of the proposals coming from Kamala and other dems. Just because she isn't as fanatical as Bernie/Warren doesn't mean Kamala is "center left"

Harris' biggest "sin' was that she ran against God King Emperor Sanders. Had she stayed put, the usual suspects wouldn't have whipped themselves into a frenzy against her.

Progressives disliked Kamala when she did that whole "prosecute marijuana smokers in an extremely progressive state" thing.

Has nothing to do with her campaigning against Bernie, though that certainly helped show her true colors.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4585 on: July 29, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »

Kaine was a good pick.  One of the main reasons (perhaps the main reason) Clinton lost is because voters saw her as being farther from the center than Trump.  If anything, having Kaine on the ticket helped address that liability (though obviously not enough).
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4586 on: July 29, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »

Harris' biggest "sin' was that she ran against God King Emperor Sanders. Had she stayed put, the usual suspects wouldn't have whipped themselves into a frenzy against her.

Progressives disliked Kamala when she did that whole "prosecute marijuana smokers in an extremely progressive state" thing.

Has nothing to do with her campaigning against Bernie, though that certainly helped show her true colors.

To be honest it be better if we figure out what Democrats "Progressive" actually like. I think we're down to 0 Senators, 3 House members, and maybe 1 Governor?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4587 on: July 29, 2020, 04:33:48 PM »

Kaine was a good pick.  One of the main reasons (perhaps the main reason) Clinton lost is because voters saw her as being farther from the center than Trump.  If anything, having Kaine on the ticket helped address that liability (though obviously not enough).

Kaine proved that going with the surest, most popular pick may not always be the best decision.

Biden going with Harris strikes a strong resemblance to that Clinton/Kaine ticket.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4588 on: July 29, 2020, 04:35:39 PM »

To be honest it be better if we figure out what Democrats "Progressive" actually like. I think we're down to 0 Senators, 3 House members, and maybe 1 Governor?

More progressive than Harris?

Ro Khanna
Ed Markey
Elizabeth Warren
Ilhan Omar
Ruben Gallego
Katie Porter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Rashida Tlaib
Kirsten Gillibrand
Gavin Newsom
Jared Polis
Andrew Cuomo
Kate Brown
Gretchen Whitmer
Jay Inslee
Cory Booker
Tammy Baldwin
Jeff Merkley
Sherrod Brown
Karen Bass
Val Demings

To name a few!
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4589 on: July 29, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »

Kaine proved that going with the surest, most popular pick may not always be the best decision.

Biden going with Harris strikes a strong resemblance to that Clinton/Kaine ticket.

It's obviously impossible to prove a counter-factual, but I have a very hard time believing that any other choice for Clinton's running mate would have changed things.  Again, one of the main reasons Trump won is because he was seen as being more moderate than Clinton.  You think putting Sanders or Warren on the ticket would have convinced all those mid-west moderates to switch their votes?  I find that a very dubious proposition.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4590 on: July 29, 2020, 04:40:36 PM »

Exactly!  And that's why she'd be such a good pick.

Kaine was a good pick.  One of the main reasons (perhaps the main reason) Clinton lost is because voters saw her as being farther from the center than Trump.  If anything, having Kaine on the ticket helped address that liability (though obviously not enough).

It's obviously impossible to prove a counter-factual, but I have a very hard time believing that any other choice for Clinton's running mate would have changed things.  Again, one of the main reasons Trump won is because he was seen as being more moderate than Clinton.  You think putting Sanders or Warren on the ticket would have convinced all those mid-west moderates to switch their votes?  I find that a very dubious proposition.

I'm not arguing against the inevitability of the Clinton loss. I'm arguing that going with a low-quality, "popular" VP pick just because they have great establishment connections is a horrible decision. Especially if rumors are true that there are multiple allegations they're only interested in it to one day become President. This should be an immediate red flag, as Chris Dodd has done a great job of arguing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4591 on: July 29, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »

Kaine was not a great selection because he didn't offer anything that Clinton already didn't offer. And it's completely bizarre that anyone would think that voters saw Clinton as farther away from the center than Trump. Trump ran the most right-wing and extreme campaign in a long time. There was and is nothing centrist about him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4592 on: July 29, 2020, 04:42:33 PM »

Andrew Cuomo
Cory Booker

To name a few!

I hate to say it but you just lost all credibility.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #4593 on: July 29, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »

It's obviously impossible to prove a counter-factual, but I have a very hard time believing that any other choice for Clinton's running mate would have changed things.  Again, one of the main reasons Trump won is because he was seen as being more moderate than Clinton.  You think putting Sanders or Warren on the ticket would have convinced all those mid-west moderates to switch their votes?  I find that a very dubious proposition.

I think that someone like Brown or Baldwin could have very much helped. (ignoring issues with their Senate seats) I don't think anyone viewed Kaine's boringness as "oh well Clinton is finally speaking to my centrism!" it just contributed to her not having a very interesting message. If people are viewing Clinton as more extreme than Trump, then maybe the issue isn't actual ideology, but genericness?
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4594 on: July 29, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »

oh my god we need the pick to be made so this thread can just die
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4595 on: July 29, 2020, 04:43:29 PM »

Ro Khanna
Ed Markey
Elizabeth Warren
Ilhan Omar
Ruben Gallego
Katie Porter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Rashida Tlaib
Kirsten Gillibrand
Gavin Newsom
Jared Polis

Andrew Cuomo
Kate Brown
Gretchen Whitmer
Jay Inslee
Cory Booker
Tammy Baldwin
Jeff Merkley
Sherrod Brown

Karen Bass
Val Demings

To name a few!
You think that the people that I bolded are more progressive than Kamala?

LMAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4596 on: July 29, 2020, 04:45:46 PM »

Ro Khanna
Ed Markey
Elizabeth Warren
Ilhan Omar
Ruben Gallego
Katie Porter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Rashida Tlaib
Kirsten Gillibrand
Gavin Newsom
Jared Polis

Andrew Cuomo
Kate Brown
Gretchen Whitmer
Jay Inslee
Cory Booker
Tammy Baldwin
Jeff Merkley
Sherrod Brown

Karen Bass
Val Demings

To name a few!

LMAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest could be up for debate if you acknowledge Kamala's hypocrisy on marijuana, sex work, and the like (many Democrats don't), though Merkley and Sherrod Brown are objectively more progressive than Harris.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4597 on: July 29, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »

I think that someone like Brown or Baldwin could have very much helped. (ignoring issues with their Senate seats) I don't think anyone viewed Kaine's boringness as "oh well Clinton is finally speaking to my centrism!" it just contributed to her not having a very interesting message. If people are viewing Clinton as more extreme than Trump, then maybe the issue isn't actual ideology, but genericness?

It was common knowledge that Brown would have been the odds-on favorite if it didn't mean pissing away a senate seat.
As for Warren, if sexism and misogyny played a big role in Clinton's collapse among WWC voters I don't how putting another woman on the ticket would have remedied that.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4598 on: July 29, 2020, 04:52:06 PM »

Anyways, I don't get the people in Bidenworld who are worried about Kamala's ambition.

Joe is 77 years old and due to human mortality and the stress of the presidency, there's a good chance that Joe could not serve a full 1 or 2 terms (not being morbid just telling the truth).

Joe would be 86 in 2028, Kamala would be 64. Why should she not be ambitious? Joe himself has ran for president 3 times and if it wasn't for that ambition he wouldn't have been VP under Obama nor would he be the presumptive Democratic nominee right now. That line of criticism against Kamala is pathetically sexist and stupid.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4599 on: July 29, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »

Ro Khanna
Ed Markey
Elizabeth Warren
Ilhan Omar
Ruben Gallego
Katie Porter
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Rashida Tlaib
Kirsten Gillibrand
Gavin Newsom
Jared Polis

Andrew Cuomo
Kate Brown
Gretchen Whitmer
Jay Inslee
Cory Booker
Tammy Baldwin
Jeff Merkley
Sherrod Brown

Karen Bass
Val Demings

To name a few!

The rest could be up for debate if you acknowledge Kamala's hypocrisy on marijuana, sex work, and the like (many Democrats don't), though Merkley and Sherrod Brown are objectively more progressive than Harris.

Kamala Harris is the second most liberal Democrat in the Senate, only Warren is more liberal than her. In fact, she's more liberal than every House Democrat except Sylvia Garcia. Yet, somehow the third most liberal Democrat in Congress and the second most liberal Democrat in the Senate is not considered a progressive. It really doesn't make sense to me, Harris' voting record is to the left of almost everyone on your list, she even ran for President as a progressive. Progressive =/= Bernie Sanders and too many people in this thread think that supporting Sanders is required to be a progressive.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies