Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:37:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 368365 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4550 on: July 29, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »

On Harris:

Quote from: Mike Murphy
I don't think it will be Harris, because ambition, trust, & the reviews you get of her behind the scenes in Democratic politics in the Senate are not good & the scrutiny this choice is going to have as a potential next president is going to be tremendous, not to mention the policy differences between them is an opportunity for Trump. I don't now who it will be, but I'm willing to bet money against Kamala. Watch Bass.

Wth?

This entire thing is just pure nonsense, but what really gets me is that he says that Biden’s not going to pick Harris because of their “policy differences” but Bass has a good chance despite literally coming from the Bernie wing of the Democratic Party.
His entire point was that she is respected by both the Bernie left and the establishment. He compared her to Biden and his Senate days
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4551 on: July 29, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »

and what are these "reviews" from behind the scenes? i haven't really heard many people speak negatively about Harris "behind the scenes"?

I read years ago that Harris isn't a good administrator and that her offices both as San Francisco DA and California AG were chaotic.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4552 on: July 29, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »

Hacks on Tap's episode from last night has VP talk starting at 25:15.

Nice words about Warren:

Quote from: John Heilemann
Biden just - everyone says it - really likes her. I think we all know that what's going to matter a lot in this selection is, what does Biden feel about the person, he keeps telling people over & over again, he really, really likes Elizabeth Warren.

On the shortlist:

Quote from: John Heilemann
Kamala's at the top of the list, I still think Elizabeth Warren's going to be on the shortlist, & there's a big shopping spree going on right now for who the 3rd finalist is. I think Susan Rice is getting a hard look, I think Karen Bass is getting a hard look, Tammy Duckworth is getting a hard look. Those are sort of the 3 candidates who are in contention to fill the 3rd position of the final 3 that he's going to weigh, because I think Harris & Warren are going to be in that final 3 & that's about as far as I'm willing to go at this moment.

On the Chris Dodd thing:

Heilemann: "Not to make an excuse for Chris Dodd [...], he was giving voice to a thing that is around in Biden world, which is he was giving voice to a view that those who are not pro-Harris, their main reason for not being pro-Harris is that they think there's a trust question & it goes back to the way she behaved in that debate in July of 2019. The conventional wisdom still puts her at the top of the list."

David Axelrod: "Yes that was surprising. Usually in Washington, people stab other people in the back, he stabbed her right in the front, I mean there was no disguise about what he was up to."

On thinly sourced articles:

You know the Biden people have done a good job, because I've been reading all these tiktoks, & it's clear they're all very thinly sourced, no one is really talking [...], but the Biden guys have done a good job at kinda keeping it tight, so I keep reading the same article over & over again.

On Harris:

I don't think it will be Harris, because ambition, trust, & the reviews you get of her behind the scenes in Democratic politics in the Senate are not good & the scrutiny this choice is going to have as a potential next president is going to be tremendous, not to mention the policy differences between them is an opportunity for Trump. I don't know who it will be, but I'm willing to bet money against Kamala. Watch Bass.

Murphy then says Biden shouldn't pick Warren, but he shouldn't pick Harris either, & definitely shouldn't pick Rice, so I guess he's for Bass.

For all of the Warren talk, Whitmer is the potential pick that I think is a great buy for 1 cent. Is she a favorite or likely? Of course not. But the payout would be ridiculous and she passes the "can you see her as President" test.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4553 on: July 29, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »

Probably nothing but I just got a text from the Biden campaign (their 30330 number) touting his upcoming fundraiser with Warren. Going back through my received texts from the number, this is the 1st time - barring President Obama - that they've been highlighting somebody who isn't already a formal part of the Biden campaign (i.e. no texts about the previous fundraisers they've held with Harris, Warren, Klob, etc.).
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4554 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »

Abrams is NOT under consideration? Thank ing Christ. Don't get me wrong I love her. It's simply too soon for her to be nominated for a role as big as VP. You don't counter a President who never held office a day in his life with someone who isn't a hell of a lot more qualified as the VP on the countering ticket.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4555 on: July 29, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4556 on: July 29, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »

This seems like one of the most speculated decisions in recent history.

- Baldwin talking up the decision.

- Harris and Rice's betting odds swinging.

- Warren's fundraiser with Joe on Friday.

- Whitmer, Bass, and Demings coy on the issue.

Has a running mate decision ever been this close? Really a great job by the Joe team on keeping everything so quiet in terms of leaks.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4557 on: July 29, 2020, 02:23:04 PM »

Probably nothing but I just got a text from the Biden campaign (their 30330 number) touting his upcoming fundraiser with Warren. Going back through my received texts from the number, this is the 1st time - barring President Obama - that they've been highlighting somebody who isn't already a formal part of the Biden campaign (i.e. no texts about the previous fundraisers they've held with Harris, Warren, Klob, etc.).

They have a fundraising goal of 8 mil this month, that's prob it. I got a similar email
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4558 on: July 29, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »

They have a fundraising goal of 8 mil this month, that's prob it. I got a similar email

Eh, I think emails & texts might operate differently. Emails are constantly sent out for everything because most people check their emails maybe once or twice a day, but they know people will stop caring & might even block if they over-saturate on texts since people's phones are almost always either on them or within an arm's reach (&, thus, much more prone to being instantly checked).
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4559 on: July 29, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »

Eh, I think emails & texts might operate differently. Emails are constantly sent out for everything because most people check their emails maybe once or twice a day, but they know people will stop caring & might even block if they over-saturate on texts since people's phones are almost always either on them or within an arm's reach (&, thus, much more prone to being instantly checked).
Fair enough. I read on twitter that Friday's fundraiser was an attempt to squeeze some money out of Warren's base before he picked another woman for vp lmaoooo
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4560 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »

I’ve disagreed with them many times. But you can’t deny that they know the business better than anyone.

Yeah. Heilemann in particular has a pretty good track record when it comes to his reporting. So I personally would lend a lot of credence to what he is hearing myself.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4561 on: July 29, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/biden-allies-move-to-stop-kamala-harris-from-becoming-vice-president.html

There is much more indication today that this Harris and Rice surge of the past few days could be a smokescreen.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4562 on: July 29, 2020, 03:23:04 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/biden-allies-move-to-stop-kamala-harris-from-becoming-vice-president.html

There is much more indication today that this Harris and Rice surge of the past few days could be a smokescreen.

All of these articles dropping lately have convinced me that she's the pick.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4563 on: July 29, 2020, 03:23:23 PM »

"The concerns focus on her attacks on Biden during a primary debate last year, bringing into question her loyalty to the former vice president. Some also argue that she’s too ambitious and that she will be solely focused on eventually becoming president."

This is code for "black woman doesn't know her place".
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4564 on: July 29, 2020, 03:27:14 PM »

I can see someone like Demings getting a flattering article somewhere this weekend...I just feel they aren't set on Harris just yet.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4565 on: July 29, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »

I’ve disagreed with them many times. But you can’t deny that they know the business better than anyone.

Yeah. Heilemann in particular has a pretty good track record when it comes to his reporting. So I personally would lend a lot of credence to what he is hearing myself.

He wasn't the one who said biden shouldn't pick Harris though. That was Murphy.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4566 on: July 29, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »

Yeah, it kinda feels like the people in the orbit who didn't want Harris may have found out that it's likely her and now they're just upset and throwing sh**t up against the wall to try and cause headaches.

The attacks are so obnoxious too. They are obsessed with the attack from last year which clearly everyone has gotten over with (not to mention Biden's attacks on Obama back in the day), and the whole "she's too ambitious" thing wreaks of sexism against a black woman. ANYONE who is the VP would obviously want to eventually become president. So the fact that this is constantly only aimed at Kamala is weird. It's like some people are so terribly threatened by her for some reason.
JRP1994

« Reply #4567 on: July 29, 2020, 03:45:06 PM »

80% of the attacks against Kamala are just baseless BS, which is annoying because 20% of the attacks (mainly those geared towards her prosecutorial record) are entirely legitimate and raise seriously concerning points
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4568 on: July 29, 2020, 03:48:42 PM »

These white donor class Democrats hate Black women. Meanwhile they wouldn’t be competitive without their strong turnout and near unanimous support. Their attempts to stop Kamala and their reasoning why is disgusting.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4569 on: July 29, 2020, 03:49:11 PM »

I hope Biden picks Harris even more now bc it will drive these people crazy.

Not to mention, anyone talking to the press is likely not really in the loop anyway.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4570 on: July 29, 2020, 03:53:54 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 04:00:50 PM by MAGugh »

These white donor class Democrats hate Black women. Meanwhile they wouldn’t be competitive without their strong turnout and near unanimous support. Their attempts to stop Kamala and their reasoning why is disgusting.

I hate people who, as State AG, locked up women for being sex workers and people for smoking marijuana.

You're taking valid concern with one's political past and conflating it with people judging Harris by her race, to pimp the racial tensions of the current time because you have no valid argument as to why a former State AG who locked up sex workers and marijuana smokers (in an extremely progressive state, even by 2010s standards) should be VP.

This line of logic, a sort of passive-aggressive pseudo-intellectualism, is why the KHive flopped last time. Smiley
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4571 on: July 29, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

He wasn't the one who said biden shouldn't pick Harris though. That was Murphy.

I meant his reporting in terms of where things stand in the campaign with the VP search. He wasn't making any predictions as to whom is ultimately picked, but given his track record, I would lend a lot credence to what he is reporting. And he did note that Harris is still the front runner despite any detractors within the campaign.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #4572 on: July 29, 2020, 04:06:13 PM »

I hate people who, as State AG, locked up women for being sex workers and people for smoking marijuana.

You're taking valid concern with one's political past and conflating it with people judging Harris by her race, to pimp the racial tensions of the current time because you have no valid argument as to why a former State AG who locked up Sex Workers and Smokers (in an extremely progressive state, even by 2010s standards) should be VP.

This line of logic, a sort of passive-aggressive pseudo-intellectualism, is why the KHive flopped last time. Smiley

Their candidate is currently favored to become Vice President and inherit the Democratic Party. Please explain how they failed.

Kamala is a progressive on the issues, she was a prosecutor in the past. She's never given any indication she wants to legislative like a prosecutor.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4573 on: July 29, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2020, 04:12:06 PM by MAGugh »

You're taking valid concern with one's political past and conflating it with people judging Harris by her race, to pimp the racial tensions of the current time because you have no valid argument as to why a former State AG who locked up Sex Workers and Smokers (in an extremely progressive state, even by 2010s standards) should be VP.

Their candidate is currently favored to become Vice President and inherit the Democratic Party. Please explain how they failed.

Kamala is a progressive on the issues, she was a prosecutor in the past. She's never given any indication she wants to legislative like a prosecutor.

Vice President is not President.

She ran for President and got humiliated. Nobody, even in the Clinton/Obamaworld core, deeply admires her. There were more reports of them wanting to help Biden, Warren, and Deval Patrick than Kamala. It's part of the reason why you're looking at Joe running right now.

When Tulsi Gabbard and Michael Bloomberg get more delegates than you, you know you have a problem with your political reputation.

I only like Harris more than Rice because I'd rather a politically-ambitious career politician with a horrible fanbase over someone who ran a foreign policy which helped destroy the world.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4574 on: July 29, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 187 188 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies