Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:00:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362562 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4050 on: July 24, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »

The Post still has Warren as the best non-Harris pick:

I'd like to add it's not just about what percentage of people say they'll support Biden, but enthusiasm for the ticket from those who supported a more progressive candidate and how genuine Biden's policy proposals (in which there are things for progressives to like) are seen. With Warren on the ticket, it definitely adds credibility to the notion that he'll actually try to do the things he lists.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4051 on: July 24, 2020, 03:39:58 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2020, 03:43:24 PM by Heebie Jeebie »

I'd like to add it's not just about what percentage of people say they'll support Biden, but enthusiasm for the ticket from those who supported a more progressive candidate and how genuine Biden's policy proposals (in which there are things for progressives to like) are seen. With Warren on the ticket, it definitely adds credibility to the notion that he'll actually try to do the things he lists.

The problem is that Warren would motivate the right more than she would the left.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4052 on: July 24, 2020, 03:56:05 PM »

The problem is that Warren would motivate the right more than she would the left.

The last thing a ticket with one old white man needs, is an old white woman.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4053 on: July 24, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

The right is going to be super motivated no matter what.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4054 on: July 24, 2020, 04:24:24 PM »

Have you seen the national polling?  A lot of the right/center-right don't currently seem very motivated to vote against Biden, but it's easy to imagine then enthused to vote against Warren.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4055 on: July 24, 2020, 04:26:27 PM »

Does anyone really believe Biden would go with Bass? I feel like his political team is leaning Duckworth
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4056 on: July 24, 2020, 04:28:23 PM »

Mrs. Bass is not amused by that article.

Glad she said this. It was really crude of POLITICO to make "the anti-Kamala Harris" some huge slight towards Harris. Just really wrong.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4057 on: July 24, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »

Does anyone really believe Biden would go with Bass? I feel like his political team is leaning Duckworth

I would not be surprised if the *true* two final picks were Duckworth and Harris. Don't really buy that Demings, Bass, Warren or even in the real final mix.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #4058 on: July 24, 2020, 04:36:12 PM »

Honestly, it sounds like Biden is really going to put Warren at least in his cabinet. If he does pick Karen Bass to really bring the whole party together that's good. If he picks Kamala Harris, that's a great pick too, she's really been pushing more progressive bills while being a Senator. Susan Rice will be a good pick, even though everyone thinks Benghazi would somehow become a campaign issue. I'm still in the KLB camp, but I think she'll end up being a cabinet pick. Just reading the bickering around here is crazy and the Bernie Bros list is ridiculous but that's what hardcore fanatics are like.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4059 on: July 24, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »

Honestly, it sounds like Biden is really going to put Warren at least in his cabinet. If he does pick Karen Bass to really bring the whole party together that's good. If he picks Kamala Harris, that's a great pick too, she's really been pushing more progressive bills while being a Senator. Susan Rice will be a good pick, even though everyone thinks Benghazi would somehow become a campaign issue. I'm still in the KLB camp, but I think she'll end up being a cabinet pick. Just reading the bickering around here is crazy and the Bernie Bros list is ridiculous but that's what hardcore fanatics are like.
Something tells me KLB has her eyes on the Governorship in 2 years.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #4060 on: July 24, 2020, 04:46:09 PM »

Something tells me KLB has her eyes on the Governorship in 2 years.

She has a lot of options, run for a 2nd term for Mayor, run for Governor or run for the Senate in 2022. I don't think she'll get the VP nod, though a cabinet position could be interesting for her. Let's say she runs for Governor and wins then along with the Dems having more Governors than the GOP, I could see her as the Head of the NGA if she was elected Governor of Georgia.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4061 on: July 24, 2020, 04:53:18 PM »

KLB would be very smart to aim for GA-GOV
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4062 on: July 24, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »

Abrams is getting another shot at GA-GOV in 2022. KLB should go for GA-AG.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4063 on: July 24, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »

Bottoms isn't going to run against Stacey Abrams.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/politics/biden-vp-kamala-harris/index.html

CNN has been ranking the top contenders (in their opinion) for a while now.

Here's their current list:

10. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)

9. Gov. Gina Raimondo (D-RI)

8. Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA)

7. Rep. Val Demings (D-FL)

6. Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)

5. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

4. Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL)

3. Fmr. Ambassador Susan Rice (D-ME?)

2. Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms (D-GA)

1. Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA)

I think what's telling about this list is that Stacey Abrams, for example, is nowhere to be seen.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #4064 on: July 24, 2020, 05:10:51 PM »

I think Abrams would be a great Senate pick. She'll definitely energize the down ballot selections voters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4065 on: July 24, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »

I think there is definitely always some crazy when it comes to politics, but it makes sense for why people are invested in this decision. Given Biden's age, the history making potential, and the propensity of Democratic primary voters to pick well known established candidates, a bad pick could really screw things over for a long time. While a good pick could bring genuine hope in a time where there's not a lot of that.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4066 on: July 24, 2020, 05:18:06 PM »

I think Abrams would be a great Senate pick. She'll definitely energize the down ballot selections voters.

Abrams would be a great Senate nominee, but she passed on those races this year, among other contests. Abrams wants the governors office, and nothing will dissuade her. Everyone in the GA democrats knows to stay out of her way.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4067 on: July 24, 2020, 05:19:25 PM »

Have you seen the national polling?  A lot of the right/center-right don't currently seem very motivated to vote against Biden, but it's easy to imagine then enthused to vote against Warren.

The types that would be enthused against Warren are going to come out for Trump regardless. Any woman Biden picks will be relentlessly demonized and you're naive if you're not counting on that.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #4068 on: July 24, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »

Bernie bros are going to Bernie Bro.

Honestly, this makes me favor Harris and Duckworth even more.  I love Warren, but if the Bernie bros think she'd be an acceptable running mate that's a good sign she'd be a bad pick.

LOL at them being against a disabled war vet female POC.

Girl bye.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4069 on: July 24, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

Honestly, her vote on the defense budget cuts is irrelevant. She's had the MOST progressive voting record in the Senate since she assumed office in 2017.

Also, she explained that the reason she voted against the amendment was that the cuts were too broad. She stated that she supports more targeted cuts and that she would support such measures in the future.

Also, the amendment wasn't going to pass anyways it was more of a "show" amendment.

Oh yes, total workhorse Kamala Harris concentrating on the issues that matter like trying to get Twitter to ban Trump's account.
Wow, I've never heard that one before. You're so clever! Roll Eyes.

Anyways, Trump's Twitter account should be banned and that's not even close to most of what Kamala has advocated for in her 3 years as a Senator. I wouldn't expect you or most people on Atlas to care though.

Don't even bother trying to explain. These anti-Kamala people are purely irrational; they cannot be reasoned and will continue to choose to only see what they want to see despite what is true.

Oh no it’s obvious why certain anti-Kamala people act like that - they know she’s intelligent and charismatic and would easily win the nomination in 2024, and don’t like the idea that they’ll have to wait until 2032 for another chance at their candidate - but of course the Dems won’t win four elections in a row, so it’s more like 2040.

That's my problem too. People keep criticizing me because they know I'm an intelligent and charismatic winner. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4070 on: July 24, 2020, 05:56:23 PM »

This is hilarious. The arrogance lmao

Ah yes. Because if there's one thing Harris supporters aren't, it's arrogant.

So Harris supporters are arrogant, while the Sanders fans claiming to be leading a transformative revolution (while being refuted by the voters - twice) are humble...

That awesome moment when you live in Scotland and go online to tell Americans they're arrogant for wanting healthcare.

1. I never mentioned healthcare, and was speaking more to the frustrating aspects of the Sanders fanbase, rather than any specific policy.

2. Please don't NHS-shame me. I am fully aware of my privilege. The NHS gave me extra time with three of my grandparents before they died from cancer, and protected our family from significant economic strain. Moreover, my aunt is receiving hospice care right now, from some of the most admirable people in the country. We are blessed, and I will never forget that.

However.

I'm a pragmatist. I believe that the best way to expand healthcare is to elect a democratic trifecta, and I believe Joe Biden had the best chance of uniting the party to pursue that outcome.

You can't go from the US model to the NHS overnight, not in a country with a system like the USA. Obviously it's not my place to tell you how to do it, but to imagine that you can just create a single-payer system in the space between 2020 and 2022 feels like a stretch.

Moderats to LBJ in 1964:

"You can't sign this civil rights bill overnight, not in a country like the USA. You can't just automatically create full civil rights between now and 1968."
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4071 on: July 24, 2020, 06:06:44 PM »

So Harris supporters are arrogant, while the Sanders fans claiming to be leading a transformative revolution (while being refuted by the voters - twice) are humble...

That awesome moment when you live in Scotland and go online to tell Americans they're arrogant for wanting healthcare.

1. I never mentioned healthcare, and was speaking more to the frustrating aspects of the Sanders fanbase, rather than any specific policy.

2. Please don't NHS-shame me. I am fully aware of my privilege. The NHS gave me extra time with three of my grandparents before they died from cancer, and protected our family from significant economic strain. Moreover, my aunt is receiving hospice care right now, from some of the most admirable people in the country. We are blessed, and I will never forget that.

However.

I'm a pragmatist. I believe that the best way to expand healthcare is to elect a democratic trifecta, and I believe Joe Biden had the best chance of uniting the party to pursue that outcome.

You can't go from the US model to the NHS overnight, not in a country with a system like the USA. Obviously it's not my place to tell you how to do it, but to imagine that you can just create a single-payer system in the space between 2020 and 2022 feels like a stretch.

Moderats to LBJ in 1964:

"You can't sign this civil rights bill overnight, not in a country like the USA. You can't just automatically create full civil rights between now and 1968."
Um, not comparable.

The Jim Crow laws of the South were mostly a social order/system. The current United States healthcare system is a major part of our country's ECONOMIC system.

You can't just simply overhaul that overnight. It has to be a gradual process.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4072 on: July 24, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »

However.

Moderats to LBJ in 1964:

Um, not comparable.

The Jim Crow laws of the South were mostly a social order/system. The current United States healthcare system is a major part of our country's ECONOMIC system.

You can't just simply overhaul that overnight. It has to be a gradual process.

And if anything Civil Rights was a slow process (maybe a bit too slow) that openly entered mainstream politics with the Civil Rights plank in 1948. The fact that the job is perpetually unfinished suggests that the battle for equality won't be complete for a long time.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4073 on: July 24, 2020, 06:44:32 PM »

The types that would be enthused against Warren are going to come out for Trump regardless. Any woman Biden picks will be relentlessly demonized and you're naive if you're not counting on that.

And I'd say you're being naive if you think Warren doesn't occupy a special place in the right's fevered dreams (along with Sanders and the squad).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4074 on: July 24, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »

And I'd say you're being naive if you think Warren doesn't occupy a special place in the right's fevered dreams (along with Sanders and the squad).

She (and they) do now because they are more known. But if you think a different woman Biden picks will be treated like him (an old white guy) you're naive.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 [163] 164 165 166 167 168 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies