Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:47:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360156 times)
henster
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4000 on: July 23, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »

She's also been running in a safe seat most of her career her district is D+40. When was the last time you think she debated any of her opponents or faced any scrutiny? She does not have experience in winning tough races and I think that matters she could easily fall apart under the national spotlight. That's why I'm down on Rice as well and she'd be an even worst pick having not run for anything ever.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4001 on: July 23, 2020, 07:32:26 PM »

Kamala voted against cutting military spending by 10%. Can someone please remind me why so many people want her as VP?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4002 on: July 23, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »

Kamala voted against cutting military spending by 10%. Can someone please remind me why so many people want her as VP?

Because cutting military spending is bad.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4003 on: July 23, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »

We spend more than the next top 10 countries combined... Why do we need to spend so much?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4004 on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:54 PM »

You think the entire US military budget is being put to good use and couldn’t be better spent on anything else?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #4005 on: July 23, 2020, 08:43:42 PM »

We spend more than the next top 10 countries combined... Why do we need to spend so much?

Our military investments pay off in more ways than war-making capacity (r&d, social progress, etc.), but even if we limit ourselves to just investments in fighting capacity, well...someone has to stand as a deterrent to Russia, China, and other aggressive, semi-fascist states.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #4006 on: July 23, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/politics/biden-vp-kamala-harris/index.html

Top 5

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Keisha Lance Bottoms
3.) Susan Rice
4.) Tammy Duckworth
5.) Elizabeth Warren

My pick has still been KLB this whole time for who I would choose, I'm surprised she's still high up there on this particular list.

This is Cillizza, so I wouldn't put much stock in his rankings. They guy's analysis is laughable.

True story.  At least in this one he didn't say Harris was "from a big Democratic state" as one of her advantages (still don't get that "reasoning").
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4007 on: July 23, 2020, 08:52:49 PM »

Our military investments pay off in more ways than war-making capacity (r&d, social progress, etc.), but even if we limit ourselves to just investments in fighting capacity, well...someone has to stand as a deterrent to Russia, China, and other aggressive, semi-fascist states.

If we’re looking to reduce the influence of “aggressive semi-fascist states” I think it’d be a good idea to look in the mirror first. And if we want to invest in social progress and R&D we can just do those directly instead of funneling more money into the Pentagon to figure out how to build more fighter jets.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4008 on: July 23, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »

Even if we cut spending by 10%, our military is still much larger than China’s. Why not invest some of that money at home instead of wasting it on the military just to bully and intimidate other countries?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4009 on: July 23, 2020, 11:18:43 PM »

Honestly, her vote on the defense budget cuts is irrelevant. She's had the MOST progressive voting record in the Senate since she assumed office in 2017.

Also, she explained that the reason she voted against the amendment was that the cuts were too broad. She stated that she supports more targeted cuts and that she would support such measures in the future.

Also, the amendment wasn't going to pass anyways it was more of a "show" amendment.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4010 on: July 23, 2020, 11:31:53 PM »

Just 2 weeks left until Biden’s decision.

I’m still hoping for the surprise Michelle Obama coup.

If Trump then attacks her, he’d be DOA with Blacks.

Demings and Duckworth would also be great, as would be a Latina.

Warren and Harris OK.

Rice would be really bad.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4011 on: July 24, 2020, 12:11:58 AM »

I'm not convinced Karen Bass is ready for prime time and be a potential successor. Kamala Harris is better across the board. I'd even prefer Liz Warren over Bass. However, if it isn't Kamala, I hope for Val Demings or Gretchen Whitmer.

That's my concern with picking someone like Bass. After all the hype she might falter once the spotlight turns on her.

This would be a legitimate criticism if you didn’t, in the same breath, pull for a 2 term Congresswoman Bass has been in politics for more than twice as long as Demings. Why would she be less ready than her?

Who does Val Demings inspire? I’ve said it before but you guys still don’t seem to understand: Black voters don’t want a black face, we want someone who fights for us and has a record of doing so. Having a black person on the ticket doesn’t automatically make us walk through fire to support them, and it’s annoying when white liberals on twitter and on here swear it does.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4012 on: July 24, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »

Honestly, her vote on the defense budget cuts is irrelevant. She's had the MOST progressive voting record in the Senate since she assumed office in 2017.

Also, she explained that the reason she voted against the amendment was that the cuts were too broad. She stated that she supports more targeted cuts and that she would support such measures in the future.

Also, the amendment wasn't going to pass anyways it was more of a "show" amendment.

Oh yes, total workhorse Kamala Harris concentrating on the issues that matter like trying to get Twitter to ban Trump's account.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4013 on: July 24, 2020, 12:54:15 AM »

Why does Demings keep getting brought up? Shes fallen off the radar for weeks now. I forgot she was even in the VP conversation
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4014 on: July 24, 2020, 03:03:46 AM »

Bernie bros are going to Bernie Bro.

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #4015 on: July 24, 2020, 03:34:01 AM »

Bernie bros are going to Bernie Bro.

They include Maggie Hassan but leave out KLB and Susan Rice?  What?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4016 on: July 24, 2020, 04:02:22 AM »

Isn't that the front group that Nina turner crashed to the ground?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4017 on: July 24, 2020, 05:16:00 AM »

LMAO of course they would not be okay with Harris AND Duckworth.

At this point, I'd support Biden on matter what, but I think it's Harris or Duckworth atm.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4018 on: July 24, 2020, 07:00:41 AM »

I really hope it is Tammy Duckworth, but I would support Biden no matter who he choose
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #4019 on: July 24, 2020, 07:07:32 AM »

BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4020 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:53 AM »

Give me a f--king break.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #4021 on: July 24, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »

BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4022 on: July 24, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »

Raimondo??
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4023 on: July 24, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »

Oh yes, total workhorse Kamala Harris concentrating on the issues that matter like trying to get Twitter to ban Trump's account.
Wow, I've never heard that one before. You're so clever! Roll Eyes.

Anyways, Trump's Twitter account should be banned and that's not even close to most of what Kamala has advocated for in her 3 years as a Senator. I wouldn't expect you or most people on Atlas to care though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4024 on: July 24, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »

From this LA times article, it looks like there are 2 camps: a Kamala camp & a "not-Kamala but we don't know who" camp, which explains the weirdly rising & falling articles about everybody else (i.e. has anybody seen any new Val Demings articles recently? She was all the rage just a few weeks ago.):

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-07-24/big-lead-shifts-biden-running-mate-search
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies