Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:13:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362775 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3175 on: June 30, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »

50% of this forum will lose their minds when Joe picks Kamala lol.
I really don't want her, but I'm not going to "lose my mind" over it. It's where the signs are pointing, and Biden as nominee is already disappointing so it's expected.

I'm not sure he's going to pick Harris. I have to think the focus groups and research would indicate Duckworth is a much better option.
Yourself =/= focus group.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3176 on: June 30, 2020, 05:10:02 AM »

I will admit, Duckworth has a good resume. But there's still some issues with her for me. Not to mention, again, I still think it's pertinent that Biden pick a black running mate. Duckworth is of course a minority as well, but black women have been the backbone of the Democratic party for years. It's time.

That’s not how that works. With that logic, Hillary would’ve won last year because “it’s time for a woman”.

You're conflating two different things here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3177 on: June 30, 2020, 05:13:34 AM »

I am ready for Warren😍😍😍👍👍👍, he should of picked her already. Jill Biden has a good relationship with Liz Warren
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3178 on: June 30, 2020, 10:14:49 AM »

I really don't want her, but I'm not going to "lose my mind" over it. It's where the signs are pointing, and Biden as nominee is already disappointing so it's expected.

I'm not sure he's going to pick Harris. I have to think the focus groups and research would indicate Duckworth is a much better option.

No, I don't think it's a stretch to wonder if Duckworth/Whitmer/Demings would have considerably more appeal than Harris to a wider audience.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3179 on: June 30, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »

No, I don't think it's a stretch to wonder if Duckworth/Whitmer/Demings would have considerably more appeal than Harris to a wider audience.

Why would Demings have considerably more appeal than Harris?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3180 on: June 30, 2020, 10:35:27 AM »

I will admit, Duckworth has a good resume. But there's still some issues with her for me. Not to mention, again, I still think it's pertinent that Biden pick a black running mate. Duckworth is of course a minority as well, but black women have been the backbone of the Democratic party for years. It's time.

That’s not how that works. With that logic, Hillary would’ve won last year because “it’s time for a woman”.

We don’t select Presidents and Vice-Presidents on “it’s time”. Harris and Bass are imminently qualified for the position. But (at least for the latter) y’all’s arguments for picking them always boils down to “she’s a black woman”.

Now that makes sense as an argument for say Demings and KLB, they haven’t done anything in their young careers to actually qualify themselves to be President-in-waiting. But I think that thinking does a disservice not only to Senator Harris, but to the black community. It’s like you’re throwing us a bone but not doing anything to address the issues we actually have. That’s what really irks me about a lot of the K-Hive.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3181 on: June 30, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »

Because Demings is less elitist. I also think Duckworth is fine being a woman of color, you can't satisfy every gender/ethnic group with a 2 person ticket.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3182 on: June 30, 2020, 10:51:26 AM »

Harris is elitist according to who? You?

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3183 on: June 30, 2020, 11:37:17 AM »

We don’t select Presidents and Vice-Presidents on “it’s time”. Harris and Bass are imminently qualified for the position. But (at least for the latter) y’all’s arguments for picking them always boils down to “she’s a black woman”.

Now that makes sense as an argument for say Demings and KLB, they haven’t done anything in their young careers to actually qualify themselves to be President-in-waiting. But I think that thinking does a disservice not only to Senator Harris, but to the black community. It’s like you’re throwing us a bone but not doing anything to address the issues we actually have. That’s what really irks me about a lot of the K-Hive.

I think Harris is imminently qualified. You're twisting my words.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3184 on: June 30, 2020, 12:11:29 PM »

Harris doesn't seem any more or less elitist to me, but 'muh Californian coastal elitist' is going to see much more use than 'muh Florida elitist'. Harris is also several degrees closer than Demings to white-collar lawyer than blue-collar cop - the whole thing is a gross stretch and it's probably not even going to have much mileage for the GOP, but it's there.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3185 on: June 30, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »

Did everyone see that Susan Rice interview on Rachel Maddow last night? Very good
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3186 on: June 30, 2020, 03:52:38 PM »

Your words were that Biden needs a black woman because “it’s time”. Not that he needs Harris/Bass/Demings/KLB because of their records.

I’m not saying this just about you, but about a lot of white liberals who keep pushing this “It has to be a black woman because they’re a part of the party” BS.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3187 on: June 30, 2020, 04:46:44 PM »

Your words were that Biden needs a black woman because “it’s time”. Not that he needs Harris/Bass/Demings/KLB because of their records.

I’m not saying this just about you, but about a lot of white liberals who keep pushing this “It has to be a black woman because they’re a part of the party” BS.

I meant the Democratic Party needs to put its money where its mouth is. Harris being qualified is obviously a major point here, but I also think Biden NEEDS to pick a black woman on top of that, because black women have held up the Democratic Party on their shoulders for far too long, and deserve to see themselves in the diversity of the ticket.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #3188 on: June 30, 2020, 04:48:55 PM »

Why is it so hard for this forum to understand that two black women can have incredibly different backgrounds....

one is the daughter of two activist professors from the Bay Area

the other had 6 siblings, dad worked in orange groves, mom was a housekeeper if I remember right

You tell me how each reads.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3189 on: June 30, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »

Why is it so hard for this forum to understand that two black women can have incredibly different backgrounds....

the other had 6 siblings, dad worked in orange groves, mom was a housekeeper if I remember right

Honestly, those both sound appealing to me.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #3190 on: June 30, 2020, 04:51:19 PM »

They probably do, person-on-internet-forum-discussing-politics. Care to guess which a white voter in their late 50s outside Milwaukee prefers?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3191 on: June 30, 2020, 05:12:03 PM »

They probably do, person-on-internet-forum-discussing-politics. Care to guess which a white voter in their late 50s outside Milwaukee prefers?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say they don’t care
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3192 on: June 30, 2020, 05:17:05 PM »

Elizabeth Warren has always fought for the common person in our country. I don't understand the dislike for her.

I like her. She is tough and honest.

Warren should be the choice, she would do well with black voters as well
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3193 on: June 30, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

Elizabeth Warren has always fought for the common person in our country. I don't understand the dislike for her.

I like her. She is tough and honest.

Warren should be the choice, she would do well with black voters as well

it wouldn't make sense to have two 70+ year olds on the ticket
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3194 on: June 30, 2020, 05:21:40 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 05:28:43 PM by Da2017 »

Harris doesn't seem any more or less elitist to me, but 'muh Californian coastal elitist' is going to see much more use than 'muh Florida elitist'. Harris is also several degrees closer than Demings to white-collar lawyer than blue-collar cop - the whole thing is a gross stretch and it's probably not even going to have much mileage for the GOP, but it's there.

She does have a professional background. I'd say she is better at showing herself to be the average joe compared to Warren.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3195 on: June 30, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »

Josh Barro
@jbarro
·
4h
There goes Biden again, not letting himself get walked into unpopular culture war positions.

This is why I think he will avoid Harris and Warren for the VP slot. When up 10 points, there is little upside to inviting these questions whenever a running mate wades into these issues.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3196 on: June 30, 2020, 06:03:44 PM »

Josh Barro
@jbarro
·
4h
There goes Biden again, not letting himself get walked into unpopular culture war positions.

This is why I think he will avoid Harris and Warren for the VP slot. When up 10 points, there is little upside to inviting these questions whenever a running mate wades into these issues.

when has Harris or Warren really been in "unpopular culture war positions"? Warren may jump on more left-leaning proposals like M4A, but neither have gone so far as to be with like Ilhan, etc. where they're joining "defund the police" / fringe left positions
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3197 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 06:17:08 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

Josh Barro
@jbarro
·
4h

when has Harris or Warren really been in "unpopular culture war positions"? Warren may jump on more left-leaning proposals like M4A, but neither have gone so far as to be with like Ilhan, etc. where they're joining "defund the police" / fringe left positions

Reparations for both. Twitter censorship for Harris. Much of what went down in the last weeks of Warren's campaign. Both of their initial responses to defund the police, which were initially a bit more equivocal than Biden's.

I don't think it's a huge liability for either of them or Biden as VP-nominees, for what it's worth, but I could see why that might make a candidate who'd been a bit more low-key about these issues (even if low-key just means less in the spotlight) appealing to Carville types.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3198 on: June 30, 2020, 06:37:47 PM »

Josh Barro
@jbarro
·
4h

Reparations for both. Twitter censorship for Harris. Much of what went down in the last weeks of Warren's campaign. Both of their initial responses to defund the police, which were initially a bit more equivocal than Biden's.

I don't think it's a huge liability for either of them or Biden as VP-nominees, for what it's worth, but I could see why that might make a candidate who'd been a bit more low-key about these issues (even if low-key just means less in the spotlight) appealing to Carville types.
The fact that reparations is a "culture war issue" says a lot about America. Every other group that has been severely marginalized and oppressed have gotten reparations or some other form of compensation (Native Americans & Japanese-Americans, for example) but yet the people who built this country can't? Unbelievable.

My parents are from Jamaica so reparations probably wouldn't even apply to me.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3199 on: June 30, 2020, 07:01:05 PM »

Josh Barro
@jbarro
·
4h

The fact that reparations is a "culture war issue" says a lot about America. Every other group that has been severely marginalized and oppressed have gotten reparations or some other form of compensation (Native Americans & Japanese-Americans, for example) but yet the people who built this country can't? Unbelievable.

My parents are from Jamaica so reparations probably wouldn't even apply to me.

That’s the issue with reparations for me. Black people deserve it, of course. But how do we decide who gets it? Blacks in the United States suffer from systemic racism. That effects both current African immigrants as well as the descendants of slaves. Is the US giving reparations for slavery? Is it for the system to racism perpetrated in the country? No one knows and there’s no cut-and-dry way to figure it out.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies