Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:49:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366430 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3100 on: June 27, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »

Looks like Harris & Warren are still the front-runners. It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.

From that article's heading:

The California senator represents the diversity and generational transition activists want

If this were a joke, then it'd be as good a joke as I've ever heard. But somehow, it's not a joke. It's their actual take. Y'know, it's usually Cillizza's takes that provide a good laugh but this most certainly tops that. If this is really how NBC &/or their news team have been interpreting the activism, then they simply haven't been paying any legitimate attention.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3101 on: June 27, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »

It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.
When has Elizabeth Warren fought for Black people? I’m not talking about the PDFs she released when she ran for President. I mean tangible receipts.

Well, she established the CFPB which fights back against predatory practices of big business, a lot of which prey disproportionately on black and Hispanic people.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3102 on: June 27, 2020, 06:21:17 PM »

It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.
When has Elizabeth Warren fought for Black people? I’m not talking about the PDFs she released when she ran for President. I mean tangible receipts.

Be an educator & a student above being a politician & lawmaker. Get into the Senate not for fame or prestige, but because she learned how unequal our economy & - frankly - our country is during her studies & career as a professor; because she wanted to fix it. Listen & contemplate & not be afraid to change her stance when she learns new information.

Certainly a breath of fresh air compared to politicians who continue to say what they always say, regardless of new data (or, worse, politicians who change their stance but then say that they've always said that for years).
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3103 on: June 27, 2020, 06:28:53 PM »

Elizabeth Warren has always fought for the common person in our country. I don't understand the dislike for her.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3104 on: June 27, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »

Elizabeth Warren has always fought for the common person in our country. I don't understand the dislike for her.

Me either.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3105 on: June 27, 2020, 06:40:47 PM »

Me either.

It’s not a dislike to her personally. My fellow Georgian just sees it as important that we have diversity on the ticket. And that’s true. Kamala Harris is qualified and would make a damn fine VP.

My problem is that she’s not being touted for her record, but because she’s younger and a woman of color.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3106 on: June 27, 2020, 07:16:00 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 12:59:12 AM by Senator YE »

Listening to people on the campaign trail is not fighting for Black people. Kamala held round tables with undecided Black men too. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Kamala Harris did a lot of good in her role as a District Attorney and Attorney General. I would implore people to read through this:

Candidates of color like Kamala Harris are automatically dismissed as being touted for their demographics only. Her resume is impeccable and meets this moment.

I want receipts not rhetoric.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3107 on: June 27, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2020, 01:01:32 AM by Senator YE »

Candidates of color like Kamala Harris are automatically dismissed as being touted for their demographics only. Her resume is impeccable and meets this moment.
I want receipts not rhetoric.

Well, she established the CFPB which fights back against predatory practices of big business, a lot of which prey disproportionately on black and Hispanic people.

There’s a receipt. She also fought hard against the Bankruptcy Reform Act for half a decade (‘99-‘05), which directly negatively affected black people and black women in particular, and is also the thing that made her transition into politics.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3108 on: June 27, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

Regardless RFK, my friend, to say that Warren never did anything to help Black people in order to justify why you support Harris is being pretty disingenuous. This is coming from someone who thinks that Harris is fit for the job despite my own concerns about her.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3109 on: June 27, 2020, 07:56:36 PM »

Regardless RFK, my friend, to say that Warren never did anything to help Black people in order to justify why you support Harris is being pretty disingenuous.
So is saying that a Harris pick would be sacrificing someone who would fight for Black people, it's also offensive and dismissive of Harris's record.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3110 on: June 27, 2020, 08:05:37 PM »

Regardless RFK, my friend, to say that Warren never did anything to help Black people in order to justify why you support Harris is being pretty disingenuous.
So is saying that a Harris pick would be sacrificing someone who would fight for Black people, it's also offensive and dismissive of Harris's record.
No ones saying that. What I’m saying is the vast majority of the arguments *for* Harris have been about how she’d be a generational change and provide diversity for the ticket, not about her record (which isn’t even bad).

Whereas in regards to Warren the arguments *for* her have been what she’s pushed for in her career and how she’d help Biden enact structural changes. The only knock against her is that she isn’t a person of color (age too, but that’s less of a problem for women).
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3111 on: June 27, 2020, 08:23:52 PM »

!!!!!!!! Game changer

https://m.facebook.com/georgerrmartinofficial/photos/a.651538084962115/3016153775167189/?type=3

🚨🚨🚨 The author of A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Throne's book series, just endorsed MICHELLE LUJAN GRISHAM for VP 🚨🚨🚨

Doesn't Martin live in Santa Fe, New Mexico? He may just be supporting the "hometown" candidate, if you will.

He does. He regularly supports New Mexico Democrats.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3112 on: June 27, 2020, 08:50:51 PM »

Looks like Harris & Warren are still the front-runners. It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.

The California senator represents the diversity and generational transition activists want

If this were a joke, then it'd be as good a joke as I've ever heard. But somehow, it's not a joke. It's their actual take. Y'know, it's usually Cillizza's takes that provide a good laugh but this most certainly tops that. If this is really how NBC &/or their news team have been interpreting the activism, then they simply haven't been paying any legitimate attention.

Can people stop being so pro-Warren and anti-Harris? You don't have to build up Warren by constantly taking a sh*t all over Harris.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3113 on: June 27, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/opinions/three-women-who-should-be-at-the-top-of-bidens-vp-list-alexander-cohen/index.html

They list Kamala Harris, Val Demings and Susan Rice as the Top 3.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3114 on: June 27, 2020, 08:59:29 PM »

Can people stop being so pro-Warren and anti-Harris? You don't have to build up Warren by constantly taking a sh*t all over Harris.

I've literally been pro-Harris before, & you can verify that by pulling up all of my relevant post/comment history about her. I've defended her when people misrepresent her to her detriment, & I defend Warren when people misrepresent her to her detriment. But I'm not gonna blindly idolize them either. As a result, I will gladly call out joke takes (which this NBC take objectively was) for what they are when I see them, & no, I won't stop &/or apologize for doing so.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3115 on: June 27, 2020, 09:00:20 PM »

In this thread, I see more trashing of disingenuous elements of Harris' institutional support than Harris herself. Cillizza would find a way to make his take garbage even if it was just an argument in favour of adopting a kitten.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3116 on: June 27, 2020, 09:10:56 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 09:14:59 PM by Dad »

I think that Michelle Lujan Grisham is an underrated choice. She's got a very strong background in public healthcare. She's been tougher than all the governors around NM in handling COVID. She's fiery, aggressive - got 5 conservative State Senators successfully primaried after they crossed her on several progressive legislation - and has legislative, executive, administrative experience. New Mexico is one of the poorest states, and certainly is in the region, with one of the fewest hospital beds per capita, but it's handled COVID much better than its neighbors. Lujan's been progressive on justice reform, taking action to pardon people, the first pardons in nearly a decade. She's pushed for free public college in NM, actually working to implement progressive policies. She's Ready on Day 1.

Lujan's relative unknownness on the national stage is a strength. She would be better at absorbing Biden's potential popularity and appeal (just like Biden did with Obama) than someone who had run a failed and frankly embarrassing campaign for President.

Lujan is also Latina, and Biden's campaign has been weakest on Latino outreach, much weaker than its Black outreach.

Sure, the necklace story isn't great but it's vague, a single news cycle at worst.

She's a great choice. A perfect candidate for the moment.

EDIT: This is my drunken endorsement . Maybe I will fix any errors when I sober up. 
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3117 on: June 27, 2020, 09:16:34 PM »

Lujan is also Latina, and Biden's campaign has been weakest on Latino outreach, much weaker than its Black outreach.

Agreed, but she is not the only Latina candidate in the running (though she's the only one whose vetting has been publicly confirmed), so this shouldn't be a point uniquely in her favour. The rest which I've snipped is valid - I had no idea the primary challenges were coordinated by Grisham, but props to her for helping with that.

Sure, the necklace story isn't great but it's vague, a single news cycle at worst.

She's a great choice. A perfect candidate for the moment. 

I think you are seriously underestimating how much exploitable anger there will be once the economic damage from COVID-19 lockdowns has made its way down all tiers of the economy. It would last more than a news cycle, it's actually bad in terms of principle (assuming that factors into Biden's pick) and if she were at the top of the ticket, I'd guess this would be worse than Her EmailsTM.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3118 on: June 27, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »

To be clear, it's an opinion piece that says those three *should* be the top 3 Biden considers, as opposed to some news scoop saying that they're at the top of the list of who he *is* considering.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3119 on: June 27, 2020, 11:15:55 PM »

I feel like the people doing that are greatly outnumbered by the people advocating for Harris (vocally, and repetitively, on every page).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3120 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:55 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 11:41:12 PM by Calthrina950 »

I feel like the people doing that are greatly outnumbered by the people advocating for Harris (vocally, and repetitively, on every page).

This much is true. I don't like either Warren or Harris, but the latter has a dedicated, enthusiastic segment of "fans" on here, it seems. I'm still struggling to understand exactly what it is that Harris would bring to the Democratic ticket, aside from her gender, race, and age (or her "identity" characteristics).
MAPZZ
Rookie
« Reply #3121 on: June 28, 2020, 01:52:35 AM »

Personally I'm rooting for Demings.
Duke of York

« Reply #3122 on: June 28, 2020, 11:26:24 AM »

Personally I'm rooting for Demings.

as am I
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #3123 on: June 28, 2020, 11:29:16 AM »

So is Marco Rubio.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3124 on: June 28, 2020, 11:49:58 AM »

Duckworth has not been vetted on a national stage, and we have no idea what could be hiding in her past. Not sure how anyone could come up with the conclusion that putting her on the ticket has "virtually no downsides"
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 [125] 126 127 128 129 130 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies