Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:54:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 368411 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3075 on: June 27, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/sen-tammy-baldwin-certainly-would-be-biden-s-running-mate-n1232275

Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., confirmed that she would serve as Joe Biden's running mate if the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee were to ask her.

During Baldwin's appearance on ABC's "The View" Thursday, co-host Whoopi Goldberg noted that “rumors are flying" that Baldwin has "been interviewed at length" to be Biden's vice presidential pick.

“Would you take it if it were offered? Does it scare you at all?” Goldberg asked.

Baldwin was quick to definitively answer a question that has followed her for months: “If he were to ask me to be his running mate, I certainly would."

Is Tammy Baldwin being vetted?

Would she make a good running mate choice (just ignore the implications of her Senate seat, and focus on winning this election).
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #3076 on: June 27, 2020, 05:42:22 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 05:54:28 AM by Ogre Mage »

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/sen-tammy-baldwin-certainly-would-be-biden-s-running-mate-n1232275

Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., confirmed that she would serve as Joe Biden's running mate if the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee were to ask her.

During Baldwin's appearance on ABC's "The View" Thursday, co-host Whoopi Goldberg noted that “rumors are flying" that Baldwin has "been interviewed at length" to be Biden's vice presidential pick.

“Would you take it if it were offered? Does it scare you at all?” Goldberg asked.

Baldwin was quick to definitively answer a question that has followed her for months: “If he were to ask me to be his running mate, I certainly would."

Would she make a good running mate choice (just ignore the implications of her Senate seat, and focus on winning this election).

From what I read Baldwin has undergone significant vetting, but not to the intensive, advanced degree of the top-tier contenders.

Baldwin has several qualities which make her an attractive running mate.  To begin with, she can pass the "President on Day 1" test.  She has creds with both progressives and blue-collar workers (Baldwin is a favorite of labor).  She blazed the path as the first openly LGBTQ person elected to the U.S. Senate.  I believe her nomination would generate significant LGBTQ fundraising and excitement from that part of the base.  Last but not least, one cannot overlook the importance of Wisconsin in the electoral college.

That said, the Senate seat issue is a huge stumbling block.  Hillary Clinton did not select Sherrod Brown for related reasons.  In mostly white Wisconsin, Baldwin doesn't have much experience appealing to nonwhite voters and so far as I know doesn't have many political connections in those communities.  I don't think she would help much with nonwhite turnout.  Like Warren, Baldwin's views on health care are not simpatico with Biden's.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3077 on: June 27, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/opinion/sunday/tammy-duckworth-biden-2020.html

Makes too much sense though.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3078 on: June 27, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »

!!!!!!!! Game changer

https://m.facebook.com/georgerrmartinofficial/photos/a.651538084962115/3016153775167189/?type=3

🚨🚨🚨 The author of A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Throne's book series, just endorsed MICHELLE LUJAN GRISHAM for VP 🚨🚨🚨
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3079 on: June 27, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »

Sometimes the most obvious pick is the best one.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3080 on: June 27, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »

Duckworth would be a good choice.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3081 on: June 27, 2020, 02:35:52 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/27/florida-democrats-karen-bass-vp-341931

And here come the Florida Democrats trying to ruin a good choice just like they ruin everything else.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3082 on: June 27, 2020, 02:50:47 PM »

Bass is not getting picked...she has no profile whatsoever.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3083 on: June 27, 2020, 03:02:32 PM »

Bass is not getting picked...she has no profile whatsoever.
Neither do any of the non- Harris or Warren picks... She’s got as much a profile as Val freakin Demings at least.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3084 on: June 27, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »

Duckworth absolutely could be picked, so could Demings or Whitmer in my opinion. Bass really hasn't even been on any shows and you don't get any sense she appeals to anyone but hardcore lefties.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3085 on: June 27, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »

Duckworth absolutely could be picked, so could Demings or Whitmer in my opinion. Bass really hasn't even been on any shows and you don't get any sense she appeals to anyone but hardcore lefties.

The party line for weeks has been that picking a black woman will boost black turnout. Bass fits that bill.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3086 on: June 27, 2020, 03:28:19 PM »

It isn't about that, its about picking someone who will do that and not send moderate white voters into a frenzy. Bass is among the worst for this.
They not like us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3087 on: June 27, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »

Duckworth would be a great choice. She’s about as safe a pick as Biden could get—virtually no downsides.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3088 on: June 27, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

I think Baldwin would make an excellent running mate.  Has experience, is palatable to both the moderate and progressive wings of the party, and possibly adds a point or two in Wisconsin.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3089 on: June 27, 2020, 03:34:47 PM »

It isn't about that, its about picking someone who will do that and not send moderate white voters into a frenzy. Bass is among the worst for this.

This is what it’s been about for most of Biden’s business “allies” and establishment Dems the whole time and Bass being floated is good even if her bid fails because it forces them to be more honest about their lobbying. I don’t doubt there’s a genuine desire for a black woman VP, but many of the nods to it from elected officials have been disingenuous attempts to sideline Warren and Baldwin because of a belief that they are foremost among white candidates and a presumption that only relatively economically moderate black women were in the running.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3090 on: June 27, 2020, 03:39:39 PM »

Based on what? None of the non-former presidential candidate VP picks have any sort of record like that. No one knows who Val Demings, Karen Bass, or even KLB are. And as black women Democrats, they’re likely going to be viewed by “white moderates” as liberals anyway. At least with Bass, she’s got experience and the progressive bonafides to step in if the unspeakable happens.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3091 on: June 27, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »

Yeah, about Karen Bass...

I don’t think Biden needs a VP that’ll hurt him with Latinos.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3092 on: June 27, 2020, 04:11:51 PM »

Dddddddddddddddddrop the bass
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #3093 on: June 27, 2020, 04:27:57 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 04:40:29 PM by Ogre Mage »

https://twitter.com/marcacaputo/status/1276848470352113670?s=21

I'm sure there is legitimate concern about this, but it looks like an attempt by Val Demings advocates in Florida to undercut a fellow House Democrat rival in the veepstakes.  Certainly Demings would never say something like that.

Hopefully Kamala has carefully read her Florida memo so we don't have messes like this in the future.  Remember girl, don't praise Latin-American communist dictators.  And you love Cuban food, lol.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3094 on: June 27, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »

I'm sure there is legitimate concern about this, but it looks like an attempt by Val Demings advocates in Florida to undercut a fellow House Democrat rival in the veepstakes.  Certainly Demings would never say something like that.

Hopefully Kamala has carefully read her Florida memo so we don't have messes like this in the future.  Remember girl, don't praise Latin-American communist dictators.  And you love Cuban food, lol.

To quote Tina Fey as Sarah Palin, "From an early age, my two great loves were always Jews and Cuban food."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3095 on: June 27, 2020, 04:41:41 PM »

The boldest choice would be Keisha Lance Bottoms, I think. She's at least my third favorite after Kamala and Demings. Republicans have little credibility in going for the experience factor since they nominated a guy for president with no experience at all. Not even a successful businessman. By picking her, Joe Biden would emphasize that he's willing to be somewhat unconventional. This election and his theme is a return to normalcy, but I believe there should be more of a return to civility and decency. It can't mean just going back to 2015, but address some of the issues that led to a Trump presidency in the first place. In his approach to widen appeal among Democrats and several detailled plans for reforms, he's already shown to go in this direction. However, the experience issue might still be a thing. Kamala is definitely the safer pick and someone who can make a claim to be ready on Day One to step in if necessary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3096 on: June 27, 2020, 05:24:25 PM »

!!!!!!!! Game changer

https://m.facebook.com/georgerrmartinofficial/photos/a.651538084962115/3016153775167189/?type=3

🚨🚨🚨 The author of A Song of Ice and Fire, Game of Throne's book series, just endorsed MICHELLE LUJAN GRISHAM for VP 🚨🚨🚨

Doesn't Martin live in Santa Fe, New Mexico? He may just be supporting the "hometown" candidate, if you will.
new_patomic

« Reply #3097 on: June 27, 2020, 05:42:50 PM »

Karen Bass will not be Vice President

But maybe Florida Democrats should figure out how to win Florida themselves before they open up their mouth again
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3098 on: June 27, 2020, 06:03:17 PM »

Looks like Harris & Warren are still the front-runners. It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3099 on: June 27, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »

It might come down to whether or not Team Biden thinks we care more about having someone that looks like us than someone that fights for us.
When has Elizabeth Warren fought for Black people? I’m not talking about the PDFs she released when she ran for President. I mean tangible receipts.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 [124] 125 126 127 128 129 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies