Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:06:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360091 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2275 on: June 08, 2020, 12:30:54 PM »

The article from this morning reminded me that there’s no good reason Carol Mosley Braun is not  on the shortlist
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2276 on: June 08, 2020, 12:38:47 PM »

The article from this morning reminded me that there’s no good reason Carol Mosley Braun is not  on the shortlist

A 72-year-old former Senator who couldn't beat Rahm Emanuel in a Chicago mayor's race (she got 9%!)?  She doesn't exactly sound like winning choice.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2277 on: June 08, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »

Harris' messaging on criminal justice and policing reforms this morning has solidified herself as VP, IMO.

Yeah, despite criticisms of her past - I think she's clearly trying very hard, and with good results - to make up for any of that with what she's doing now and how she's trying to push progress forward in 2020
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2278 on: June 08, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »

A 72-year-old former Senator who couldn't beat Rahm Emanuel in a Chicago mayor's race (she got 9%!)?  She doesn't exactly sound like winning choice.

Who is also a race-baiter, last held office in 1998 and lost her Senate seat because of corruption allegations.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2279 on: June 08, 2020, 12:45:06 PM »

I doubt these names would be out there if Biden was truly happy with Harris as an option.

I’m hoping you are right but I’m basically resigned to Harris at this point.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2280 on: June 08, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »

Harris' messaging on criminal justice and policing reforms this morning has solidified herself as VP, IMO.

Yeah, despite criticisms of her past - I think she's clearly trying very hard, and with good results - to make up for any of that with what she's doing now and how she's trying to push progress forward in 2020
That’s the thing- there’s nothing to make up for. She was progressive on CJ her whole career. The smears were disingenuous lies peddled by Bernie supporters who wanted to handicap her candidacy. Now that folks don’t have to compete with her in the primary they’re admitting the truth. Shaun King and Laura Bazelon are two of the biggest offenders and they’ve even backtracked on the Kamala hatred.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2281 on: June 08, 2020, 12:53:19 PM »

That’s the thing- there’s nothing to make up for. She was progressive on CJ her whole career. The smears were disingenuous lies peddled by Bernie supporters who wanted to handicap her candidacy. Now that folks don’t have to compete with her in the primary they’re admitting the truth. Shaun King and Laura Bazelon are two of the biggest offenders and they’ve even backtracked on the Kamala hatred.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2282 on: June 08, 2020, 01:00:41 PM »

I doubt these names would be out there if Biden was truly happy with Harris as an option.

I just have to believe that Joe knows better. If the vet gets even a very very very very very very very small fraction of her record, she is done. Apart from the back on track program, open justice and the Isaac Espinoza case, her record is terrible. Defending wrongful convictions, refusing to investigate police shootings, escalating civil forfeiture at a time when the Obama administration was scaling it back, crime lab scandal that Joe Biden actually brought up in debate, refusing to stand her ground on the death penalty even though she could’ve use the same strategy she use for gay marriage, refusing to investigate catholic sexual abuse etc. the list goes on forever, and she face scrutiny on virtually none of it during the campaign. I’m so glad she can school Megan McCain, but what was she doing when she was on the forefront of these issues? It’s easy to say the right things from a safe Senate seat, it’s harder to do it when   You’re actually in charge. And she did not. This is not  Bernie/Tulsi Twitter hyperbole. This is her record
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2283 on: June 08, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »

I just have to believe that Joe knows better. If the vet gets even a very very very very very very very small fraction of her record, she is done. Apart from the back on track program, open justice and the Isaac Espinoza case, her record is terrible. Defending wrongful convictions, refusing to investigate police shootings, escalating civil forfeiture at a time when the Obama administration was scaling it back, crime lab scandal that Joe Biden actually brought up in debate, refusing to stand her ground on the death penalty even though she could’ve use the same strategy she use for gay marriage, refusing to investigate catholic sexual abuse etc. the list goes on forever, and she face scrutiny on virtually none of it during the campaign. I’m so glad she can school Megan McCain, but what was she doing when she was on the forefront of these issues? It’s easy to say the right things from a safe Senate seat, it’s harder to do it when   You’re actually in charge. And she did not. This is not  Bernie/Tulsi Twitter hyperbole. This is her record
Half of this didn’t happen and quite a bit of this had nothing to do with her.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2284 on: June 08, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »

DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2285 on: June 08, 2020, 01:19:34 PM »

Half of this didn’t happen and quite a bit of this had nothing to do with her.
All right, take me through it bit by bit then
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2286 on: June 08, 2020, 01:33:45 PM »

Charlie Crist endorses Demings for VP.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2287 on: June 08, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »

Politico says Bottoms is being vetted.  When asked about it, she “deferred to the Biden campaign on questions about her prospects as a Biden running mate”:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/biden-veep-search-304854

Bottoms is being vetted as a Biden running mate, two sources with knowledge of the discussions confirm to POLITICO. Demings, a former Orlando police chief, has previously confirmed she’s being vetted.
In an interview, Bottoms deferred to the Biden campaign on questions about her prospects as a Biden running mate.

“I can tell you that obviously like so many mayors and governors across this country, my complete focus has been on our streets the last few days,” Bottoms said.

That article also notes that the team’s thinking on having (needing?) a black VP has “evolved” over the past two weeks.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2288 on: June 08, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »

Abrams would bring a shake up to the status quo more so than Harris, due to fact Harris has been a SF liberal not a Maxine Waters liberal. We have had enough Valerie Jarretts and Susan Rice in Dem WH. Harris will be another Susan Rice
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2289 on: June 08, 2020, 03:06:56 PM »

Abrams would bring a shake up to the status quo more so than Harris, due to fact Harris has been a SF liberal not a Maxine Waters liberal. We have had enough Valerie Jarretts and Susan Rice in Dem WH. Harris will be another Susan Rice

Harris, like Biden, is an institutionalist, and she'll go where the party goes.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2290 on: June 08, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »

Any particular reason why Karen bass isn’t being mentioned? She’s a favorite of Clybourn and she is the leader of police reform in the house. She’s also about the right age. What gives?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2291 on: June 08, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »

Charlie Crist endorses Demings for VP.

Crist is opportunistic garbage and any endorsement of his just means Biden should absolutely not pick them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2292 on: June 08, 2020, 05:54:43 PM »

Nah, he's probably just keeping his options open. He has plenty of time to pick a running mate, so why not vet as many people as possible? Maybe the campaign will come across something they weren't expecting.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2293 on: June 08, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »

Any particular reason why Karen bass isn’t being mentioned? She’s a favorite of Clybourn and she is the leader of police reform in the house. She’s also about the right age. What gives?
She doesn't want to be VP and she's just been a standard House Representative in a safe district.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2294 on: June 08, 2020, 07:05:02 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/08/biden-veep-search-304854

Wide-scale protests that have exposed deep racial tensions across the nation in the last two weeks are reshaping the contours of Joe Biden’s search for a vice presidential pick, sharpening the focus on an African American woman as his running mate and elevating the prospects of several candidates once viewed as longshots.

The campaign sees the outpouring of anger and emotion in the wake of George Floyd’s death as a watershed moment that has made the issue of a black running mate a top consideration, two sources familiar with the internal discussions say.

In the last week alone, two prospects who were initially not considered among the top tier contenders have suddenly burst into contention: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and Florida Rep. Val Demings.

walleye26

« Reply #2295 on: June 08, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »

^I would think Demings over KLB because Florida is closer than Georgia.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2296 on: June 08, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »

They’re both toss-up states. Also KLB has strong name ID in the Atlanta metro as the executive of the state’s capitol and most visible city. Demings is some random Congresswoman.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2297 on: June 09, 2020, 01:45:35 AM »

We can now all agree that Warren isnt gonna be picked
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #2298 on: June 09, 2020, 06:23:34 AM »

They’re both toss-up states. Also KLB has strong name ID in the Atlanta metro as the executive of the state’s capitol and most visible city. Demings is some random Congresswoman.
She has only been mayor for 2 years. She would look like a ladder climber, and really not into her job, just like Whitmer.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2299 on: June 09, 2020, 08:05:08 AM »

We can now all agree that Warren isnt gonna be picked

I disagree. There's no reason to think that Warren isn't still in the running.  What made her appealing two weeks ago still makes her appealing today.  Or do we really think Biden will make such a consequential decision based solely on today's New York Time's front page? 
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies