Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 04:15:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall  (Read 2162 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 03:10:42 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »

"When the president is bragging about winning North Dakota and Indiana then you know he's in trouble." ~Chuck Schumer

Lmao
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »

Chuck and especially Nancy just made Trump look like a giant fool. I look forward to this repeating itself time and time again over the next 2 years.

My pro-Trump bias aside, I think Trump looked good. In the video he pretty much put Schumer in his place. Corner him into looking heartless. He's pretty much saying something like "Chuck, what's more important, funding bureaucrats or protecting innocent Americans?" Schumer sits there with a goofy smile on his face. Smiling over innocent Americans being hurt by illegal aliens. Not something to be proud of. If I were President I'd say, "You have a smile, I don't know why you're smiling about people who lost a son or daughter to an illegal immigrant. Why are you smiling?"

Make them look feckless. It will play well for white working class people in the Midwest.

We just had an election where Trump tried to make it all about the scary migrant caravan and spooky undocumented immigrates that are going to kill you and he lost. Every single poll shows that Americans do not want the stupid wall. If that's the hill he wants to make his stand, so be it.

And here's a new NPR/Marist survey on the topic:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »

"When the president is bragging about winning North Dakota and Indiana then you know he's in trouble." ~Chuck Schumer

Lmao

Lol
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 03:30:16 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Also reported by CNN was this ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »

Nancy Pelosi after the meeting: "We don't want to contradict the president when he was putting forth figures that had no reality to them. No basis [...] I did not want to say in front of these people 'You don't know what you're talking about' ".

Starting at about 4:40 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vKMlcXfR4
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »

Nancy Pelosi after the meeting: "We don't want to contradict the president when he was putting forth figures that had no reality to them. No basis [...] I did not want to say in front of these people 'You don't know what you're talking about' ".

Starting at about 4:40 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vKMlcXfR4

A refusal to admit the spoiled little rich boy wanna-be Emperor has no clothes is not a point in her favor. To be fair, a great many people who both support or oppose the GOP do the same thing. That doesn't excuse any of them.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »

You guys don't understand. Trump is saying "I would rather protect people than pay bureaucrats." That is a winning argument. Chuck Schumer can smile and Nancy can (attempt) to speak a coherent sentence, but I'm telling ya, it might not play well on this forum or in San Francisco or New York City, but there are tens and tens of millions of Americans who are siding with President Trump.

I'm being honest, it's not gonna play as well for you guys as you think. We have a much more tribalistic selfish electorate than we did twenty years ago. Now, I  live in Ohio (which is becoming less and less of a battleground) but the responses I hear even from "moderate" women voters in their 20s and 30s shocks even me.

For example, I have so many conversations with people who are not partisans and their responses even surprise me.

Woman: "Why are people mad at Trump?"
Me: "Trump said we shouldn't take people in from countries that are sh*tholes."
Woman: (long pause) Why should we?

I swear, you guys are on an entirely different wavelength than much of the country. I'm not trolling or trying to be facetious. This is not going to play the way you guys think.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »

You guys don't understand. Trump is saying "I would rather protect people than pay bureaucrats." That is a winning argument. Chuck Schumer can smile and Nancy can (attempt) to speak a coherent sentence, but I'm telling ya, it might not play well on this forum or in San Francisco or New York City, but there are tens and tens of millions of Americans who are siding with President Trump.

I'm being honest, it's not gonna play as well for you guys as you think. We have a much more tribalistic selfish electorate than we did twenty years ago. Now, I  live in Ohio (which is becoming less and less of a battleground) but the responses I hear even from "moderate" women voters in their 20s and 30s shocks even me.

For example, I have so many conversations with people who are not partisans and their responses even surprise me.

I swear, you guys are on an entirely different wavelength than much of the country. I'm not trolling or trying to be facetious. This is not going to play the way you guys think.

Exactly, Trump will be seen as a protector of our national security at all costs. the WWC are not sitting there appalled about this
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »

Do they understand a wall will accomplish almost nothing on this end?   Do they understand most Mexicans, legal or otherwise, come to the country on planes?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »

Exactly, Trump will be seen as a protector of our national security at all costs. the WWC are not sitting there appalled about this

Didn't work a month ago.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »

Yes, President Trump is ensuring that all ~40% of us Reel Muricans are ensured safety from the Muslim transbian horde of Mexicans. The WWC has been served a good card, staving off further Communist encroachment./s

Thank you so Pelosi for ensuring that the only gift President Trump gets is an indictment this season.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 04:53:29 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2018, 06:42:41 PM by TexasGurl »

Lmao

Lol

the thing is though, democrats dont need florida
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »

It doesn't matter that we have actual video of him sitting in the Oval Office saying "I'll be proud to shut down the government".  We had an actual audio recording of him admitting to sexual assault, and he still won 39% of women in 2016.  Very little sticks to this guy, no matter how putrid it is.

I do wish, however, that Pelosi or Schumer had just told him straight to his face "you should get Mexico to pay for your wall, not the American taxpayers, just like you promised during your campaign."  The look on his speechless, flabby face would have been priceless.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »

I agree.  We should stop taking people in from Cuba.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 05:57:37 PM »

Please. We should have invaded Cuba in 1962.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »

This is gold. lol  Cheesy Cheesy
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »

We could all feel Schumer cringing.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »

Please. We should have invaded Cuba in 1962.

This is probably one of the few things we agree on. Though I doubt you agree with my belief that Puerto Rico and Cuba should become the 51st and 52nd states, respectively.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »

Or maybe Naso you’re in a state that is trending so far to the R that Brown horrible underperformed against a joke candidate in a D+8 year and as a result you have a horrible skewed view of how the country thinks.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:09 PM »

Pelosi and Schumer got under his skin, and the entire nation could see trump turning red in the face.
trump suddenly was troubled (and shocked) that he didn't have Yes-Men and Yes-Women surrounding him and licking his feet.
And the best part was when Schumer was successful in goading the Orange Buffoon into owning a possible government shutdown. trump fell for it, hook-line-and-sinker.
LOL. Love it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »

Pelosi and Schumer got under his skin, and the entire nation could see trump turning red in the face.
trump suddenly was troubled (and shocked) that he didn't have Yes-Men and Yes-Women surrounding him and licking his feet.
And the best part was when Schumer was successful in goading the Orange Buffoon into owning a possible government shutdown. trump fell for it, hook-line-and-sinker.
LOL. Love it.

But Schumer smiling over people who were killed by illegal immigrants? Have him take his talking points to the home of a family who lost a loved one to someone who illegal crossed into the country. See if they care about him.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »

LOL. Love it.

But Schumer smiling over people who were killed by illegal immigrants? Have him take his talking points to the home of a family who lost a loved one to someone who illegal crossed into the country. See if they care about him.
Oh piss off we have been at record low crime rate for years now with illegal immigrants among the bottom percentile of violent offenders. So spare me this fake attempt to act like we have an epidemic on our hands that calls for Trump’s off the top rhetoric and reactionary policies. (An fwi “one person killed by an illegal is one too many” is not a legit argument)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 10:09:37 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2018, 10:13:45 PM by Virginiá »

Trump wins by losing the popular vote by almost 3 million votes (2.1%), and Republicans get blown out in the midterms 2 years later, and according to Reaganfan, it's actually the non-Trump supporters who live on a "entirely different wavelength than much of the country." Right.

This is why it's pointless to debate things with him. He's living in an alternate reality. There is no way to reconcile that here. And what a reality it is - a place where half the country burns perpetually, and undocumented immigrants roam the streets like zombies, devouring working class white people day and night, as liberal coastal elites look on from a distance in their ivory towers while sipping martinis and giggling.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2018, 10:29:28 PM by Joe Republic »

LOL. Love it.

Why was this Oval Office discussion happening in the first place?  Mexico is meant to be paying for the wall, not Congress (i.e. American taxpayers).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies