Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:23:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pres. Trump says he will "proudly shutdown the government" over border wall  (Read 2211 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Schumer and Pelosi for the WIN!
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »

...but I thought Mexico was going to pay for it...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

I'm not sure whether this is helpful to Democrats. The 2013 and 1995 shutdowns backfired on congressional Republicans. Not sure Trump would be blamed alone by those are not opposed to him anyway.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »

Gawd....right in the oval office in front of reporters.   I know it's Trump, but what the hell was he thinking?
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »

They are. How exactly you define or measure "paying for it" doesn't matter.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »

I'm not sure whether this is helpful to Democrats. The 2013 and 1995 shutdowns backfired on congressional Republicans. Not sure Trump would be blamed alone by those are not opposed to him anyway.

Uhhh...the 1995 and 2013 shutdowns backfired because the Republicans were demanding ransoms to pass a budget bill.   If Trump is demanding a border wall to get a budget passed...I'm pretty sure that's a ransom.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 01:09:07 PM »

Maybe he plans to shut down the Mexican government.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »

He could have had the funding for his wall before, but rejected it because no DACA repeal and muh chain immigration, so he can't complain about democrats not compromising with him.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »

I’ll believe it when I see it. He didn’t initiate a shutdown before, he won’t do it now.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 01:24:16 PM »

Uhhh...the 1995 and 2013 shutdowns backfired because the Republicans were demanding ransoms to pass a budget bill.   If Trump is demanding a border wall to get a budget passed...I'm pretty sure that's a ransom.

Democrats should offer him funding for border security in general in exchange for a solution for the Dreamers. Most Americans support both of these measures. If Trump refuses, it will indeed backfire on him and damage his (self created and false) image of the great dealmaker.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »

Conservatives will happily support Trump shutting down the government (or anything else, really) to "stick it to the libs."
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »

The Democrats keep promising to legalize millions of illegal Mexicans in order to win votes and they practically are a lobby organization for globalist anti-American powers (Mexico, China, Trudeaustan). I think Trump can get away with making the Democrats pay for it while claiming the Mexicans paid for it. Technically it would be true!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:56 PM »

Democrats should offer him funding for border security in general in exchange for a solution for the Dreamers. Most Americans support both of these measures. If Trump refuses, it will indeed backfire on him and damage his (self created and false) image of the great dealmaker.
That's what they did last year. Trump said NO.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »

Chuck and especially Nancy just made Trump look like a giant fool. I look forward to this repeating itself time and time again over the next 2 years.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 01:50:40 PM »

That's what they did last year. Trump said NO.

Is there any correlation between Trump's initial stance on an issue and his stance on the exact same issue a few months later? Any? Just let a Dreamer veteran tell Trump how much he loves Trump because of what he did for the military and how most Dreamers in the army hate the anti-American and anti-military Democratic Party (preferably do it on live television with Pelosi or Schumer in the same room). Then see how Trump will sign the deal despite the 2 AM twitter rant the week prior.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2018, 01:59:20 PM by President Johnson »

This is really funny, starts at 5:30, discussions between Trump, Pelosi and Schumer in front of the cameras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URqbv9R7a7k
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

Chuck and especially Nancy just made Trump look like a giant fool. I look forward to this repeating itself time and time again over the next 2 years.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 02:02:41 PM »

Democrats already offered that and he said no.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »

My pro-Trump bias aside, I think Trump looked good. In the video he pretty much put Schumer in his place. Corner him into looking heartless. He's pretty much saying something like "Chuck, what's more important, funding bureaucrats or protecting innocent Americans?" Schumer sits there with a goofy smile on his face. Smiling over innocent Americans being hurt by illegal aliens. Not something to be proud of. If I were President I'd say, "You have a smile, I don't know why you're smiling about people who lost a son or daughter to an illegal immigrant. Why are you smiling?"

Make them look feckless. It will play well for white working class people in the Midwest.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »

They....already did this.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »

I still don't understand why we are going through this fight.
trump is arguing with the wrong people.
He should be in Mexico, fighting with the Mexican President and their Congress over paying for trump's stupid wall. The funds are down there, not here.
That is what trump promised his bigoted base of poorly educated Nazis. So he needs to get his Orange A$$ down there before the deadline.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »

My pro-Trump bias aside, I think Trump looked good. In the video he pretty much put Schumer in his place. Corner him into looking heartless. He's pretty much saying something like "Chuck, what's more important, funding bureaucrats or protecting innocent Americans?" Schumer sits there with a goofy smile on his face. Smiling over innocent Americans being hurt by illegal aliens. Not something to be proud of. If I were President I'd say, "You have a smile, I don't know why you're smiling about people who lost a son or daughter to an illegal immigrant. Why are you smiling?"

Make them look feckless. It will play well for white working class people in the Midwest.

Okay, I'm sure you'll support a Democratic President bringing Republican congressional leaders into the oval office and then yelling at them in front of reporters that he/she will support shutting down the government to get Medicare for all or raising the minimum wage.    

Is this going to become the new norm for promoting legislative agendas in the country?  
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »

Props to Nancy and Chuck for simultaneously showing poise and sanity while also throwing Trump off his rocker for the entire nation to see.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

We just had an election where Trump tried to make it all about the scary migrant caravan and spooky undocumented immigrates that are going to kill you and he lost. Every single poll shows that Americans do not want the stupid wall. If that's the hill he wants to make his stand, so be it.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies