is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:54:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: ?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: is it unconstitutional to prohibit citizens to have nuclear weapons?  (Read 13272 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2005, 05:02:09 PM »

Serious question based on htmldon's post in the assault rifle thread.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 05:07:07 PM »

For the federal government, or the states?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »

No.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:13:42 PM »

For the federal government, yes. For the states, no.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 06:20:44 PM »

obviously Dean, where in the constitution does it mention nuclear weapons?  Since it doesn't, it's blatantly unconstitutional.  Doesn't mean we should have them though-except for me, I'm responsible.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »

For the federal government, yes. For the states, no.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 06:53:33 PM »

Most certainly not.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 06:55:37 PM »

Finally, someone sane!  Thank you for your sanity.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 06:57:07 PM »

Which clause authorizes the federal government to ban nuclear weapons? A federal ban is clearly unconstitutional outside the District of Columbia.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 06:58:28 PM »

If it is, it shouldn't be.

I don't really think that allowing Utah to legalize the possession of nuclear weapons if they so choose is a good idea.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 07:01:43 PM »

Which clause authorizes the federal government to ban nuclear weapons? A federal ban is clearly unconstitutional outside the District of Columbia.

LOL - man, you are either kidding or you are sniffing some bad glue. And I don't mean to offend you. I'm not trying to be insulting. But can you even imagine the security threat? Can you even IMAGINE it? I don't think so.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 07:03:51 PM »

The problem is that Dean has yet to answer whether we're talking about a Second Amendment or Federal Enumerated Powers issue here.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »

I don't really think that allowing Utah to legalize the possession of nuclear weapons if they so choose is a good idea.

Is allowing the United States to legalize the possession of nuclear weapons if they so choose a good idea? I see no reason why one would be more likely to legalize such possession than the other.

How about England or France?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 07:06:39 PM »

LOL - man, you are either kidding or you are sniffing some bad glue. And I don't mean to offend you. I'm not trying to be insulting. But can you even imagine the security threat? Can you even IMAGINE it? I don't think so.

I do not think that your paranoid delusions are an adequate basis for interpreting a text.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 07:12:56 PM »

I do not think that your paranoid delusions are an adequate basis for interpreting a text.

We're talking about nukes. Okay? Legalizing nukes isn't even sound reasoning - you can't give me a good reason to legalize nuclear weapons. There is none. You're in theory land.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2005, 07:14:42 PM »

When did I say we should legalize nukes?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 07:16:39 PM »

Is allowing the United States to legalize the possession of nuclear weapons if they so choose a good idea? I see no reason why one would be more likely to legalize such possession than the other.

Either way, I don't exactly think it would be a bad idea to put as many barriers in place as possible.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 07:18:40 PM »

Either way, I don't exactly think it would be a bad idea to put as many barriers in place as possible.

Fair enough, but then the proper route is constitutional amendment. A proposal as uncontroversial as this would probably be passed by both houses of Congress by unanimous consent, and ratified by three-fourths of the several states in a record short period of time.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 07:19:19 PM »

The Constitution is not to be interpreted according to alleged security threats, vague fears, or perceived forebodings of doom.

I ask again, which clause authorizes a general federal ban on the possession of nuclear weapons?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 07:19:38 PM »

Don't be utterly ridiculous.

To exercise any of its enumerated powers the federal government has to be able to guarantee that it, you know, exists.

Given that civilian ownership of nuclear weapons could well spell the end of the federal government (not to mention a hell of a lot of people), I would say that the federal government can use the elastic clause to ban civilian ownership of nukes so that it can actually exercise its enumerated powers.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »

We're talking about nukes. Okay? Legalizing nukes isn't even sound reasoning - you can't give me a good reason to legalize nuclear weapons. There is none. You're in theory land.

Its like 80% of the forum lives in whacko libertarian theory land.  They are obsessed with legalism and have completely lost touch with reality.  They would sacrifice the United States itself in order to enforce their extreme view of the Constitution.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2005, 07:22:21 PM »

To exercise any of its enumerated powers the federal government has to be able to guarantee that it, you know, exists.

You shouldn't assume that they want the United States government to exist at all.  It is just a barrier between them and the anarchy that they desire.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2005, 07:24:25 PM »

You shouldn't assume that they want the United States government to exist at all.  It is just a barrier between them and the anarchy that they desire.

They might not wish it to, but I somehow suspect that the Constitution does.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2005, 07:33:29 PM »

Given that civilian ownership of nuclear weapons could well spell the end of the federal government (not to mention a hell of a lot of people), I would say that the federal government can use the elastic clause to ban civilian ownership of nukes so that it can actually exercise its enumerated powers.
That line of reasoning could allow the federal government to exercise a variety of powers in order to "ensure its existence." All manner of things can be said to pose a threat to the "existence" of the federal government--it does not follow that Congress may regulate them. Consider the case of the years prior to the ratification of the Bill of Rights. Could Congress ban firearms, because an armed populace poses a threat to the existence of the government? Could Congress prohibit the freedom of speech, because criticism poses a threat to the existence of the government? Could Congress punish a particular ideological group, because its doctrines posed a threat to the existence of the government? Clearly, even without the Bill of Rights, it could not have done so.

The federal government is perfectly free to protect itself from attack by any enemy, whether domestic or foreign. In particular, Article I allows Congress to declare war (thereby covering foreign enemies), while Article III makes it treason to levy war against the United States (thereby covering domestic ones). However, the mere possession of a nuclear weapon does not constitute war against the United States.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »

It is clearly unconstitutional, but for health and safety purposes, citizens are generally not allowed or encouraged to possess nuclear weapons, and I personally have no problems with that. (Still, I would not mind buying a nuclear weapon myself.) If the government really, really worries that someone will actually challenge the Second Amendment's absence of restrictions on the sale/possession of nuclear weapons in hopes of opening the sale of nuclear weapons to the public, as Emsworth said, it should pass an amendment or something - the word "arms" is just too broad for anyone to figure out where to draw the line. Until then, the possession of nuclear weapons is not unconstitutional, as dangerous or annoying as it might sound to the average person.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies