Which gubernatorial term limit system do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:24:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which gubernatorial term limit system do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which gubernatorial term limit system do you prefer?
Unlimited terms

Two consecutive terms, later re-eligible

Two total terms, absolute

One consecutive term, later re-eligible

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Which gubernatorial term limit system do you prefer?  (Read 695 times)
kyc0705

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2018, 11:23:35 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2018, 12:14:29 AM by kyc0705 »

I believe this is all of them. For clarification:

Unlimited terms: The governor can run for an unlimited number of terms. As long as they keep getting re-elected, they will remain in office without interruption.

Two consecutive terms, later re-eligible: If the governor is elected in 2018, they can run for re-election in 2022. If they win, they cannot run for a third consecutive term in 2026. However, they could run again in 2030.

Two total terms, absolute: The governor is limited to two total terms. Once both terms have been served—whether consecutive or non-consecutive—they can never be elected governor again.

One consecutive term, later re-eligible: If the governor is elected in 2018, they cannot run for re-election in 2022. However, they can run again in 2026. (Virginia is the only state that currently does this.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:24 AM »

2 terms only, due to power grab by Walker
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »

I don't support term limits. In a democracy, if someone's so popular that they can win re-election 3, even 4 times in a row, they should be allowed to run.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:44:13 AM »

Two total terms. Term limits are great.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »

I like the two consecutive terms, later re-eligible. I think term limits for the executive are useful for preventing one individual from accruing too much power, but I also don't want to unnecessarily limit the field of candidates. Allowing the governor to return to office after being out for a few years provides a good balance between those two factors.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »

I like the two consecutive terms, later re-eligible. I think term limits for the executive are useful for preventing one individual from accruing too much power, but I also don't want to unnecessarily limit the field of candidates. Allowing the governor to return to office after being out for a few years provides a good balance between those two factors.
Indeed. I believe a similar system should be implemented for the Presidency.
Dukakisite1988
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »

Unlimited. If voters want a governor for decades then they should have the right to choose that option. This should be combined with greater scrutiny at the executive level.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

Option 2, which also what I favor for the presidency.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:35:40 AM »

I don't support term limits. In a democracy, if someone's so popular that they can win re-election 3, even 4 times in a row, they should be allowed to run.

This. I think term limits are antithetical to democracy. However, I do think executive power should be heavily restrained in general (which is why I’d prefer a parliamentary system).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

This. I think term limits are antithetical to democracy. However, I do think executive power should be heavily restrained in general (which is why I’d prefer a parliamentary system).

Indeed to (most of) the above, as term limits severely curtail the choices of voters. A fundamental principle in our system of government is that voters get to choose their government. Voter choices are restricted when a candidate (regardless of incumbency status) is barred from being on the ballot.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »

Option 2, which also what I favor for the presidency.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »

I am always against term limits.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »

4 (Virginian)
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 07:11:05 PM »

Two consecutive, later re-eligible. Unlike most Republicans I know, I don't favor a ton of term limits for Congressmen and women, as well as Governors. This is sort of a "compromise" for me, as it makes someone else become Governor for at least 4 years. I live in a state that has unlimited terms, which I do not like. This system would work better for here.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 10:32:08 PM »

Indeed to (most of) the above, as term limits severely curtail the choices of voters. A fundamental principle in our system of government is that voters get to choose their government. Voter choices are restricted when a candidate (regardless of incumbency status) is barred from being on the ballot.

All of the above. Plus, I see no evidence that Governors who are not term limited are worse at governing than those who are. They're no more corrupt or any more likely to abuse their power.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies