Dems push to overturn Congress headgear ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 12:25:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dems push to overturn Congress headgear ban
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dems push to overturn Congress headgear ban  (Read 2373 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »

I don't know, I have very mixed feelings on this. As a Muslim myself, I personally reject the hijab and think women shouldn't wear one. I have always felt this is discriminatory.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »

I don't know, I have very mixed feelings on this. As a Muslim myself, I personally reject the hijab and think women shouldn't wear one. I have always felt this is discriminatory.
lol
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »

Think of it this way, with the ban removed our Orthodox Jewish and Sikh officials now have a less harder time once they get into office.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

Why do people support this?

There's a separation of religion and state, and Congress is literally one of the 3 branches of the state. The state shouldn't have any religious stuff whatsoever. That includes Congress, the White House and the Supreme Court I guess, as well as arguably state and local governments.

And that's without analysing the potential security argument. Which I guess may or may not apply anymore but it's still there.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 11:05:01 AM »

Why do people support this?

There's a separation of religion and state, and Congress is literally one of the 3 branches of the state. The state shouldn't have any religious stuff whatsoever. That includes Congress, the White House and the Supreme Court I guess, as well as arguably state and local governments.

And that's without analysing the potential security argument. Which I guess may or may not apply anymore but it's still there.
Our First Amendment protects religious freedom and separation of church and state. It does not , however, enforce an official Läicité policy. As long as no religious favoritisms enters legislation, personal religious traditions observed visually are protected.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »

Didn't Boehner cite this rule when Bobby Rush wore a hoodie on the House floor?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 05:14:06 PM »

I'n amazed this hasn't been previously challenged by an observant Conservative Jew elected to Congress. Surely there've been a number?

Or is my knowledge about what Jews where headgear and when flawed?

There just aren't that many observant American Jews running for office. The only one I'm aware of is Dov Hickind.

Anyway, I support this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »

I'n amazed this hasn't been previously challenged by an observant Conservative Jew elected to Congress. Surely there've been a number?

I'm a bit surprised myself, but even within Orthodox Judaism there's some variety of opinion on when exactly a kippa is required.  Joe Lieberman for example did not normally wear one when in his capacity as a Senator.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »

Didn't Boehner cite this rule when Bobby Rush wore a hoodie on the House floor?

Yes, a white man once again told a black man that his method of protest was inappropriate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 06:50:35 PM »

Wearing hats indoors is generally considered rude in my country.

For men, yes, but not women. Women are technically allowed to wear hats in the Commons - Thatcher did a few times, even.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 07:51:22 PM »

They probably just have more respect for this country and its traditions.  This lady clearly does not.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:34 PM »

They probably just have more respect for this country and its traditions.  This lady clearly does not.
You mean not following the Bill of Rights?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »

I mostly agree, though I am not a Muslim. I would go further though and say that if a woman chooses, by her own will, to wear a hijab as a way of expressing her religious freedom, I'm fine with that too. But nobody should be forced to wear one.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »

I think it's bad when they're expected or pressured to wear one. But if they want to wear one, I don't see on what basis it would make sense to forbid it. I know it's important to some of them. I think everybody should be able to express themselves however they want through their dress, indoors or not.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 08:26:33 AM »

I mean, I oppose the ideology behind the hijab in the same way I oppose the ideology that dictates women should change their name after marriage. Both are grotesque remnants of a patriarchal past that would ideally be discarded with. However, a women’s individual right to practice their own religion or change their name trumps my personal feelings on the matter. It should be a woman’s right to wear or not wear the hijab, and no one else should be obliged they take it off or wear it.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »

Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies