2020 Dems "go all in on identity politics"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:04:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Dems "go all in on identity politics"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: 2020 Dems "go all in on identity politics"  (Read 3614 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »

New story about how the 2020 Dems are talking about intersectionality, allyship, inclusivity, etc. in a way that previous presidential candidates never did, ignoring warnings that this would "distract from the party’s economic message and push white voters further into Donald Trump’s arms":

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/19/democrats-2020-race-identity-politics-strategy-1000249

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:22:42 AM »

Identity politics is a stupid talking point by the right to divide and distract from discrimination problems we have against women and minorities.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »

Identity politics is a stupid talking point by the right to divide and distract from discrimination problems we have against women and minorities.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »

Lourdes
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:50:35 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »

This seems like more of a semantic objection than a substantive one.  The point is that the 2020 Dems are talking about these issues and embracing the language of activists in a way that previous presidential candidates didn't.  Whether you call that "identity politics" or something else is up to you, and whether you think this is good or bad is up to you, but it's still a shift that's worth noting.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:06:27 AM »

Yikes, here we go again.

Identity politics is a stupid talking point by the neoliberal "Left" to divide and distract from their naked embrace of corporatism and anti-worker policies.

Fixed that for all of you. 
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »

Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »

You so-called people of  the left think that more corporatism and anti-poor/anti-worker policies will help women and minorities? 
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:30:51 AM »

Dems going full NPC in this thread. It will be interesting to see which candidates, if any, make a niche for themselves by bucking this trend. Sherrod Brown or maybe Biden would be best served by doing so.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

What the f**k is even identity politics?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »

Trump is the candidate who ran almost exclusively on identity politics, and yet people call him a political genius. Sure, it happened to be white, straight, mostly male identity politics, but it's still identity politics. I see no reason why Democrats can't say disproportionately locking up black men for crimes they commit at the same rate as white men is racist? If conservative white people get triggered by people saying facts then they're just politically correct snowflakes who can't handle the real world.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

You so-called people of  the left think that more corporatism and anti-poor/anti-worker policies will help women and minorities? 

Nice strawman.  Nobody here is saying we need to be economic centrists. I have actually said before on this forum that fiscal conservatism is incompatiable with social liberalism and vice versa, and I imagine most Atlas lefties would agree with me on this.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 11:42:47 AM »

Politics that affect people other than those who the person whining "identity politics" belongs to, typically.

An anecdote: I once mentioned that my friend, who is mixed race, is mixed race. My other white conservative coworker, who I wasn't talking to, butted into the conversation and said "wHoA wHoA wHoA wHy ArE yOu PlAyInG iDeNtItY pOliTiCs?!?!?!?1!?!?!?1!11?!?" Because apparently, to some, acknowledging that race exists is "identity politics..."
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 11:59:14 AM »

Politics that affect people other than those who the person whining "identity politics" belongs to, typically.

An anecdote: I once mentioned that my friend, who is mixed race, is mixed race. My other white conservative coworker, who I wasn't talking to, butted into the conversation and said "wHoA wHoA wHoA wHy ArE yOu PlAyInG iDeNtItY pOliTiCs?!?!?!?1!?!?!?1!11?!?" Because apparently, to some, acknowledging that race exists is "identity politics..."

By that definition, then what everyone is empty quoting is spot on and is an attempt for the GOP to divide us up. That doesn’t mean nominating minorities (or straight white men for that matter) and shaming them into voting for them is a good practice. Nor is thinking someone won’t vote for someone means they are racist/sexist, at least without some context/reasoning.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

What discrimination problems? I'm sorry but I see no proof that there is any "discrimination" problems against women or minorities in this country.

It's quite clear that this is just fear mongering by democrats to drive up the vote among who they can scare and threaten the most.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »

What discrimination problems? I'm sorry but I see no proof that there is any "discrimination" problems against women or minorities in this country.

It's quite clear that this is just fear mongering by democrats to drive up the vote among who they can scare and threaten the most.

Did you miss all those black men being shot by police, often enough when they were not threatening (or even trying to help) the police, and the officers not getting much in the way of punishment for their crimes? Or the whole need for a revised fair pay act as women are still under paid for the same work compared to men? How about all those hate crimes that have been on the rise? Folks with non-white sounding names not getting hired despite having equal qualifications?

Hmm... well I suppose having no heard about these things and many more is possible. But I don't know, might just be a case of trolling or selectively deciding that all of this pile of evidence is some nonsensical plot because space aliens or something. If its not that sort of thing, I'd recommend getting out a little more and meet some folks that don't look quite like yourself. And ask them about discrimination and what they've had to put up with. Because the Democrats don't need to scare anyone. When you're actually having to tell your kids how to behave to not have the cops called on you by some old white guy manager when you're looking to buy a shirt and how to act when he does and the police come in with guns drawn, that's the kind of fear that exists beyond any political campaign efforts.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

I don't know, you tell me.

"Segregation is worse than it was decades ago and Cleveland, Ohio remains one of the most segregated cities in the USA".
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 03:11:34 PM »

I don't think Beto will fall into this trap. He spoke about kneeling for the flag, for example, in a way that didn't alienate whites. He and Sherrod Brown remain the strongest possible nominees.

Dems going full NPC in this thread.

I hate to say it, but the same thought crossed my mind.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »

I don't think Beto will fall into this trap. He spoke about kneeling for the flag, for example, in a way that didn't alienate whites. He and Sherrod Brown remain the strongest possible nominees.

The alt-right folks seem to have this weird obsession with coming up with new insults for everyone they don't like or disagree with. This one, the NPC meme, is all about dehumanizing explicitly so that one can basically ignore anyone they don't like or who says something the least contradictory to one's own narrative.

Its usefulness however comes in making it easy to identify people who are not here to actually have a conversation like a normal human being and who are instead trying to internet points their way to a personal feeling of self fulfillment through insults and demonstration of one's commitment to the far right cause and culture. Or to use a term folks from the alt-right likes to use to describe the behaviors of some they are trying to publicly shame for speaking up against them, its just 'virtue signaling'. ;3
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »

The alt-right folks seem to have this weird obsession with coming up with new insults for everyone they don't like or disagree with. This one, the NPC meme, is all about dehumanizing explicitly so that one can basically ignore anyone they don't like or who says something the least contradictory to one's own narrative.

I'm certainly not part of the alt-right, and I agree that social justice needs to be part of the Democratic message. I just don't think it should be focused on at the expense of an inclusive economic message that can appeal equally to a white steelworker from Pittsburgh or a black carpenter in Detroit.

The NPC meme actually began as a nonpolitical response to a Psychology Today study claiming to show that 75% of people have no inner monologue. Granted it's been used largely as a political tool since the early days of the meme. What made me think of it was the solid wall of quoteposting that filled up half the thread, not necessarily the message contained in those quoteposts. Smiley
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »

Its usefulness however comes in making it easy to identify people who are not here to actually have a conversation like a normal human being and who are instead trying to internet points their way to a personal feeling of self fulfillment through insults and demonstration of one's commitment to the far right cause and culture. Or to use a term folks from the alt-right likes to use to describe the behaviors of some they are trying to publicly shame for speaking up against them, its just 'virtue signaling'. ;3

Oh, boo hoo, perhaps people are lamenting the fact that the Dems are using identity politics to mask their shift to the right fiscally.  

You so-called people of  the left think that more corporatism and anti-poor/anti-worker policies will help women and minorities?  

Nice strawman.  Nobody here is saying we need to be economic centrists. I have actually said before on this forum that fiscal conservatism is incompatiable with social liberalism and vice versa, and I imagine most Atlas lefties would agree with me on this.

Come back to me when you can name 5 up-and-coming Dems who can do both and win (So no Beto).  
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 03:58:37 PM »

More SWPL-style liberalism that’s allied with “socially progressive” big business. I guess folks haven’t figured out yet that while, yes, you absolutely can have racial and social justice in one movement and even individual candidates, the form we see today is a distraction used by the Democratic elite while they continue shifting power and resources to the top. The Republican elite play similar tricks on the American voters to ensure they have a compliant voter base who’ll vote for candidates that regularly defy their interests; Democratic elites are no different.

At the end of the day, both parties work towards the benefit of a single, unified class of elite that divide through stoking racial resentment and coverup/excuse their abuses with “woke” social messaging.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »

Identity politics is not the notion that there is racism and sexism in America that needs to be addressed. Rather, it's the notion that certain people are on "my team" simply because of how they were born, rather than because of what they do. The critique of identity politics is absolutely spot on. Regardless of whether it comes from the left or the right, it's the same thing, and it needs to be stood up to and opposed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies