So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:35:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020  (Read 10276 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2019, 01:36:32 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2019, 01:51:36 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

unrelated but Colin Peterson one of the most if not the most conservative democrat in the house (but how else do you expect to win a +30 trump district) is being primaried from the right look at this dudes website lmao
https://stephenaemery.org/
some quotes from his website
What has he done to keep biological males out of female showers and bathrooms? Nothing.

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for the Nancy Pelosi and Obamacare and poorer medical care;

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for Nancy Pelosi and biological males in women’s showers and bathrooms;

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for Nancy Pelosi and Islam and Muslims and illegal aliens sweeping across the nation;
His website starts off by saying vote for a pro life pro gun conservative democrat
The district won't exist after the 2020 reapportionment, so none of this is hugely important in the long run...
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »

wut
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »

He openly supported LGBT conversion therapy in 1995 and gave a BS apology about it when it came out in the primary.

He's not sorry that he dehumanized people. He's sorry that he got flack for it in the primary. Thank God Case won.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2019, 07:32:24 PM »

Definitely Ilhan Omar. I'd also like to see Lipinski and Gabbard primaried.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »

Gabbard has a primary challenger (State Senator) and he's received the endorsements of two former governors (including GOD EMPEROR ABERCROMBIE).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2019, 10:44:53 PM »

To me, it's clear that Omar, Tlaib, and Ocasio-Cortez need to be primaried. I would support primary challenges against Sheila Jackson-Lee and Maxine Waters as well, though such challenges would be doomed to failure. Besides that, I can't think of any other Democrats at the moment who deserve a primary challenge.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »

Lipisnki: Democrat in Name
Cuellar: Another DINO and supported Carter against Hegar
Omar: For being a Anti-Semite
Trahan: Doesn't support M4A
Gabbard: You know why
Correa: Awful Rep
DWS: For being a bitch against Sanders
Scott: Supporting Isakson
Lynch: Pro Life in a Safe D seat
Jackson Lee: Intern Abuse
Moulton: Being a so called Moderate Hero
Hastings: Being Corrupt as F**k
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »

He openly supported LGBT conversion therapy in 1995 and gave a BS apology about it when it came out in the primary.

He's not sorry that he dehumanized people. He's sorry that he got flack for it in the primary. Thank God Case won.

In what capacity did he support conversion therapy? I can't seem to find what his role was in 1995; he joined the HNL prosecutor's office in 1998. He was very pro-LGBT+ rights as AG. I guess for me his actual policy impact outweighs his earlier personal foibles, but I also was unaware of that past.
MassBlueDog
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »

In what capacity did he support conversion therapy? I can't seem to find what his role was in 1995; he joined the HNL prosecutor's office in 1998. He was very pro-LGBT+ rights as AG. I guess for me his actual policy impact outweighs his earlier personal foibles, but I also was unaware of that past.
I mean, wasn't Hawaii very socially conservative in the 90s?
Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »

I mean, wasn't Hawaii very socially conservative in the 90s?

I don't think Hawai'i was more conservative than the rest of the country, but rather that its voters were forced to render an opinion on same-sex marriage earlier than the rest of the country. That vote came in response to a 1990 court case that sought to force the state to recognize same-sex marriages. I think that case was several years before its time and provoked a backlash. Amendment 2, in 1998, was the first same-sex marriage ballot measure, and its results were basically in line with the subsequent votes in other states, for example in California in 2000, and that obviously was not a harbinger of an era of broad social conservatism in that state.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2019, 08:23:05 PM »

Lipniski, Sherrill, Moulton, T. Ryan, Gabbard, Stephen Lynch, Greg Meeks, Max Rose, etc. may be too moderate for the Democratic base.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2019, 08:36:56 PM »

Ed Case, Henry Cuellar, Tulsi Gabbard, Seth Moulton, Dan Lipinski, Stephen Lynch, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida  Tlaib.

I would also have added Alcee Hastings but he will probably retire finally, since he's in poor health.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2019, 03:27:42 PM »

unrelated but Colin Peterson one of the most if not the most conservative democrat in the house (but how else do you expect to win a +30 trump district) is being primaried from the right look at this dudes website lmao
https://stephenaemery.org/
some quotes from his website
What has he done to keep biological males out of female showers and bathrooms? Nothing.

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for the Nancy Pelosi and Obamacare and poorer medical care;

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for Nancy Pelosi and biological males in women’s showers and bathrooms;

A vote for Collin Peterson is a vote for Nancy Pelosi and Islam and Muslims and illegal aliens sweeping across the nation;
His website starts off by saying vote for a pro life pro gun conservative democrat
Oh my god.... Peterson really is going to get blanched in 2020
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »

Lipniski, Sherrill, Moulton, T. Ryan, Gabbard, Stephen Lynch, Greg Meeks, Max Rose, etc. may be too moderate for the Democratic base.

Most of them are very good fits for their district and a progressive couldn't win there. Rose, Sherrill, and Ryan especially.

Gabbard, Lipinski, and Lynch are the most vulnerable. Lynch if they find a competent challenger.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2019, 01:56:56 AM »

Add Vargas, Wasserman Schultz, and Engel to the list for attacking a fellow Democrat from the right.

Vargas and Engel are pipe dreams, but I think DWS has a chance at losing to a challenger that isn't a nutjob. She seems pretty swampy to me.
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2019, 02:06:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4I-xbq6iyc

I was a bit mistaken, and while he didn't personally come out on the record for conversion therapy, his church does support it. However, he did make virulently anti-gay speeches as a preacher.

While his record as AG was pro-LGBT, his fake apology and continued association with said church leads me to believe he's pro-LGBT for political reasons. I don't believe for a second he was sincere (if you say I'm sorry if" or "I'm sorry, but" like he did, you're bulls***ting and you know you're bulls****ting).
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2019, 02:55:41 AM »

Ed Case, Tulsi Gabbard, AOC, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida  Tlaib.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »

Ed Case, Tulsi Gabbard, AOC, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida  Tlaib.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »

Nutmeg
thepolitic

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4I-xbq6iyc

I was a bit mistaken, and while he didn't personally come out on the record for conversion therapy, his church does support it. However, he did make virulently anti-gay speeches as a preacher.

While his record as AG was pro-LGBT, his fake apology and continued association with said church leads me to believe he's pro-LGBT for political reasons. I don't believe for a second he was sincere (if you say I'm sorry if" or "I'm sorry, but" like he did, you're bulls***ting and you know you're bulls****ting).

Interesting. This is pretty compelling. I thought he was good on these issues as AG, but I think you make the case well that his personal views probably haven't evolved quite as much.

Still, good thing we don't have to entertain the question of whether he should be primaried. Wink
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »

As a Republican I can't really say anyone should be primaried for supporting x&y, or for 'being too moderate for their district' (poor argument), so I'll simply say that Gabbard, Bonamici, Tlaib and Omar are horrible Representatives in my opinion who affect people's views of their party for all the wrong reasons.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »

As a Republican I can't really say anyone should be primaried for supporting x&y, or for 'being too moderate for their district' (poor argument), so I'll simply say that Gabbard, Bonamici, Tlaib and Omar are horrible Representatives in my opinion who affect people's views of their party for all the wrong reasons.

What’s the deal with Bonamici?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2019, 07:24:26 AM »

What’s the deal with Bonamici?

Turns out none - it turns out the scandal that may have existed was to do with someone else.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »

If Dems do primary AOC, it would be a benefit for them, since she is a distraction to the Pelosi wing of the party's agenda, and replacing her with an Establishment Democrat would end the intra-party feuds between the left and Establishment and left and the center
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

If Dems do primary AOC, it would be a benefit for them, since she is a distraction to the Pelosi wing of the party's agenda, and replacing her with an Establishment Democrat would end the intra-party feuds between the left and Establishment and left and the center

Agreed. As it is now, she's either planning to run for President in 2024, challenge Schumer in 2022, or push for Speaker when Pelosi leaves the role. Unless the party is fond of those ideas and ready to turn the party's policy over to her, they don't want her sticking around.

It's going to be hard to find the right candidate to take her down, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies