So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: So lets discuss which Democratic Representatives need to be primaried in 2020  (Read 10274 times)
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

Hastings, Lipinski, Lynch and Case should be the top priorities. Gabbard, Cuellar and Jackson-Lee should be primaried, but they are likely all but unbeatable. Clarke will likely receive a strong primary challenge, although I don't really think she "needs" one.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 10:29:35 PM »

Is there any person in Laredo who would dare to run against Henry Cuellar? I'm deeply skeptical. Webb County is not a place conducive to people bucking the preference of those in power.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:34 PM »

Before the events of the past few days the only rationale for primarying Lynch was knee-jerk EMILY's List litmus-testing and/or thinking his "style" was too old-fashioned or whatever, but now that he's joined this quixotic conservadem brinksmanship over the Speakership I'm much more willing to accept that his district could probably do better. He's still not nearly as odious as Flawless Beautiful Seth.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 02:20:15 AM »

Before the events of the past few days the only rationale for primarying Lynch was knee-jerk EMILY's List litmus-testing and/or thinking his "style" was too old-fashioned or whatever, but now that he's joined this quixotic conservadem brinksmanship over the Speakership I'm much more willing to accept that his district could probably do better. He's still not nearly as odious as Flawless Beautiful Seth.

Voting against Obamacare wasn't enough?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 04:24:49 AM »

That was nearly 10 years ago.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 11:07:14 PM »

Lynch voted for the House bill--which had the public option--and then against the Senate bill because he didn't believe that it comprised substantive reform. If anything he voted against Obamacare from the left.

But, as beesley said, that feels like an eternity ago and apparently more recently Lynch started shilling for charter schools or something in addition to this Speakership thing. Ick.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »

Lynch voted for the House bill--which had the public option--and then against the Senate bill because he didn't believe that it comprised substantive reform. If anything he voted against Obamacare from the left.

But, as beesley said, that feels like an eternity ago and apparently more recently Lynch started shilling for charter schools or something in addition to this Speakership thing. Ick.

He also voted for that anti-refugee biil in 2015.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 12:42:25 PM by GoldenMainer »

My belief is that we need our moderates in the redder districts and we need progressives in our solid blue districts to A) win as many seats as possible and B) prevent our party from moving too far to the right. Below is a list of Blue Dog and New Dem. representatives in seats that are at least D+12. Other factors come into play in these districts but this is a working list of where to start in my opinion.

Lou Correa (Blue dog in a D+15 district)
David Scott (Blue dog in a D+20 district)
Mike Thompson (Blue dog in a D+21 district)

Gerry Connolly ("New Dem" in a D+15)
Don Beyer ("New Dem" in a D+21)
Anthony Brown ("New Dem" in a D+28)
Tony Cardenas ("New Dem" in a D+29)
Susan Davis ("New Dem" in a D+14)
Eliot Engel ("New Dem" in a D+24)
Brenda Lawrence ("New Dem" in a D+30)
Al Lawson ("New Dem" in a D+12)
Gregory Meeks ("New Dem" in a D+37)
Donald Norcross ("New Dem" in a D+13)
Mike Quigley ("New Dem" in a D+20)
Adam Schiff ("New Dem in a D+23)
Terri Sewell ("New Dem" in a D+20)
Norma Torres ("New Dem" in a D+19)
Juan Vargas ("New Dem" in a D+22)
Marc Veasey ("New Dem" in a D+23)

Below are reps. with some egregious (in my opinion) votes. Those in tougher districts like Peterson would get a pass from me, but those in safe districts should take the scrutiny.

Reps. who voted for Iraq War: Bishop, Engel, Hoyer, Kind, Lowey, Lynch, Carolyn Maloney, Pascrell, Peterson, Schiff, Sherman, Adam Smith

Reps. who voted to undermine Net Neutrality: Costa, Peters, Peterson, Sires

Reps. who voted to deregulate banks (2018): Bera, Bishop, Blunt Rochester, Carson, Correa, Costa, Cuellar, Danny Davis, Foster, Gonzalez, Gottheimer, Hastings, Himes, Kind, Kuster, Larsen, Lawson, SPMaloney, Murphy, O'Halleran, Peters, Peterson, Rice, Schneider, Schrader, David Scott, Sewell, Suozzi, Veasey, Vela

Engel is a NY rep. who's ripe for a primary challenge imo. Costa, Peters, and Correa should be at the top of the CA list.

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »

Ocasio-Cortez
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 01:23:23 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbedk »

Is there any person in Laredo who would dare to run against Henry Cuellar? I'm deeply skeptical. Webb County is not a place conducive to people bucking the preference of those in power.
All we need is a Hispanic who is moderate on social issues(like abortion) but is economically populist. If we run someone who's like Warren we'll lose the primary badly
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 01:01:42 PM »

Lipinski, Cuellar, and Lynch are all big-league FFs who should NOT be primaried.

But some D reps do deserve to be primaried - Lou Correa, for example. He's just awful.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

My belief is that we need our moderates in the redder districts and we need progressives in our solid blue districts to A) win as many seats as possible and B) prevent our party from moving too far to the right. Below is a list of Blue Dog and New Dem. representatives in seats that are at least D+12. Other factors come into play in these districts but this is a working list of where to start in my opinion...

I struggle to really understand your point. Sure, it may make sense strategically, but if we take your example of Mike Thompson, he may be in a D+21 district, but that doesn't mean he needs to be primaried. He's arguably a very good Representative with high seniority, and the voters choose him every time in a democratic fashion. Maybe someone could primary him, but nobody is really 'required' to, even if the voters behave in a certain way.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »

Lipinski, Cuellar, and Lynch are all big-league FFs who should NOT be primaried.

But some D reps do deserve to be primaried - Lou Correa, for example. He's just awful.

Cuellar literally endorsed and donated to John Carter for re-election when the Blue Dog coalition, on which he he holds a leadership position, endorsed MJ Hegar. That was inexcusable, there was no reason for him to do that.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »

Cuellar literally endorsed and donated to John Carter for re-election when the Blue Dog coalition, on which he he holds a leadership position, endorsed MJ Hegar. That was inexcusable, there was no reason for him to do that.
Thoughts regarding Lou Correa?
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »

I struggle to really understand your point. Sure, it may make sense strategically, but if we take your example of Mike Thompson, he may be in a D+21 district, but that doesn't mean he needs to be primaried. He's arguably a very good Representative with high seniority, and the voters choose him every time in a democratic fashion. Maybe someone could primary him, but nobody is really 'required' to, even if the voters behave in a certain way.

That's why I said "other factors come into play." If a representative on this list has a lucrative committee seat for example, then the voters of that district will be less likely to switch it up. Not always though. Crowley had a lot of seniority and power and look what happened to him.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 01:37:53 PM »

AOC
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »

Personally, everyone except Cuellar, Lipinski and Peterson ought to have a challenge, but the Reps who I want to have one:

Tim Ryan
Seth Moulton
Rashida Tlaib
Yvette Clarke
Scott Peters
Kathy Castor
Bonnie Watson Coleman
Brendan Boyle
Ilhan Omar
Chellie Pingree
Derek Kilmer
Kendra Horn

All are low quality.

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2019, 09:20:49 AM by look, fat »

Senate:
Mark Warner - Dodd-Frank rollback, Haspel vote
Jeanne Shaheen - See: Warner, Mark. The NHGOP really doesn't have a bench besides Sununu, and even then he'll get tarred and feathered once people realize he's governed like a conservative.
Gary Peters - Dodd-Frank rollback, confirming Ajit Pai

The Big Ones:
Tim Ryan - I was against him when he started railing on about how he's open to corporate tax cuts. I'm glad to see it's fashionable now.
Seth Moulton - Blue Dog and media whore. Also have a raging personal grudge against him for trying to mess with my district.
Dan Lipinski - Need I say more?
Annie Kuster - If Carol can win 4 terms as an unapologetic progressive, then I don't see why Kuster can't either.
Tulsi Gabbard - Assadism, generally being a false prophet

Blue Dogs/Corporatists in D Districts:
Vicente Gonzalez
Filemon Vela
Darren Soto
Jim Costa
Rick Larsen
Lou Correa
Brad Schneider

Pelosi Blue Dogs:
Ed Case
Donna Shalala
Al Lawson
Rick Larsen

Anti-Pelosi:
Kathleen Rice
Kurt Schrader
Tom Suozzi (also a raging moderate hero)
Bill Foster
Jeff Van Drew (We can do better here as well)
Linda Sanchez

Traitors (GOP supporters):
Henry Cuellar - (John Carter)
Stephen Lynch - (Charlie Baker)
David Scott - (Johnny Isakson)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2018, 10:21:23 PM »

Senate:

Kurt Schrader

Lol imagine primarying someone in a district trump won or was tied in 2016
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2018, 10:23:44 PM »

They should all be primaried by someone so awful and repulsive that a Republican takes the seat, so that this great nation enjoys the benefits of a 435R House.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »

They should all be primaried by someone so awful and repulsive that a Republican takes the seat, so that this great nation enjoys the benefits of a 435R House.
If roy moore had a D next to his name and was nominated in NY 15th with a video of all the evidence he still wins
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 10:26:40 PM »

Senate:

Kurt Schrader

My issue with Schrader is his moderate heroism/anti-Pelosi stunts. His is a bit more nebulous but is decently Democratic down-ballot. Van Drew has always voted like a Republican.

At least know what you're talking about before you start acting condescending.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 10:29:39 PM »

Senate:

Kurt Schrader

My issue with Schrader is his moderate heroism/anti-Pelosi stunts. His is a bit more nebulous but is decently Democratic down-ballot. Van Drew has always voted like a Republican.

At least know what you're talking about before you start acting condescending.
Go ahead primary van drew to lose the seat. That seat loves incumbents
Of course Schrader has to be a moderate in a even PVI seat trending r
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »

Just Cuellar and Schultz, godamn awful. No one else. We need to be unified and fight the GOP, not kill ourselves from infighting.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 10:36:31 PM »

Off the top of my head:

CA-7: Ami Bera
CA-16: Jim Costa
CA-29: Tony Cardenas