Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:13:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread v2 - Mia, Mimi, Gil, and T.J.  (Read 77646 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »

FTR, according to DKE OK-05 voted for Drew Edmondson by almost 10 points. So Kendra Horn might not be so vulnerable as many people thought at the beginning.

It only voted for Trump by 13, and I think it will trend further against him in 2020 given that it is an urban district and what happened nationally this year. My guess is that it will only vote for Trump by around 7-9 points in 2020 if the Presidential election is very close. In which case Horn should have a good chance of holding out. (May depend to some degree on whether Stitt manages to turn things around for the OK GOP - but I rather doubt he will.)

Horn is a vastly underrated candidate here at Atlas. As long as OKC continues trending Democrat, that seat will get bluer.

Horn starts at tilt R for 2020 but yeah she isn't DOA like peterson.
Peterson isn't DOA. He's an underdog but can still win if Democrats do very well and he actually tries to.

Just like Bredesen wasn't DOA?

Peterson isn't going to outperform the Democratic nominee by 30+ points again, lol. He's DOA. Feel free to quote this post in 2 years if I'm wrong, but I won't be.

Completely different things you're trying to compare here, but ok.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #476 on: November 20, 2018, 07:18:52 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #477 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »

Remember when Solid had this seat at Safe R? LMAO.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #478 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »

100%.
To think that I wrote this seat off once Romney announced.
It’s crazy to think that Love managed to lose a heavily-gerrymanderred R-leaning seat as many times as she won it.
Almost as weird as the fact that both times coincided with Mitt ‘King of Utah’ Romney’s presence on the ballot. Maybe there’s a quiet anti-Mitt vote in Salt Lake?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #479 on: November 20, 2018, 07:30:11 PM »

Mia Love is the Republican version of Dan Maffei.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #480 on: November 20, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2018, 07:31:53 PM »

Mia Love is the Republican version of Dan Maffei.

yeah either that or Tenney.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2018, 07:37:02 PM »

Ehh that’s fine with me. McAdams doesn’t seem bad.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2018, 07:37:35 PM »

yeah utah has a lot of good politicians in general on both sides.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #484 on: November 20, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »

FTR, according to DKE OK-05 voted for Drew Edmondson by almost 10 points. So Kendra Horn might not be so vulnerable as many people thought at the beginning.

It only voted for Trump by 13, and I think it will trend further against him in 2020 given that it is an urban district and what happened nationally this year. My guess is that it will only vote for Trump by around 7-9 points in 2020 if the Presidential election is very close. In which case Horn should have a good chance of holding out. (May depend to some degree on whether Stitt manages to turn things around for the OK GOP - but I rather doubt he will.)

Horn is a vastly underrated candidate here at Atlas. As long as OKC continues trending Democrat, that seat will get bluer.

Peterson isn't DOA. He's an underdog but can still win if Democrats do very well and he actually tries to.

Peterson isn't going to outperform the Democratic nominee by 30+ points again, lol. He's DOA. Feel free to quote this post in 2 years if I'm wrong, but I won't be.

No it isn't. It's Atlas Dems being hacks and insisting they can win an unwinnable race, exactly the same thing. And if I recall correctly, the same two people in this thread saying Peterson isn't DOA were the same people insisting Bredesen still had a chance until the bitter end. So it only makes the comparison even more fitting.

Just accept Peterson is gone. It's one seat, who cares? I know it annoys Atlas D hacks, but it is indeed possible for Republicans to win elections, especially in places where Trump did/will landslide by 30+ points.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »

Also, Klobuchar won MN-07 by just a tenth and Smith lost this district by double digits. In fact, Smith and Klobuchar did better in MN-01 and MN-08. Time is definitely running out for the Dems there, sadly.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #486 on: November 20, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »

No it isn't. It's Atlas Dems being hacks and insisting they can win an unwinnable race, exactly the same thing. And if I recall correctly, the same two people in this thread saying Peterson isn't DOA were the same people insisting Bredesen still had a chance until the bitter end. So it only makes the comparison even more fitting.

Just accept Peterson is gone. It's one seat, who cares? I know it annoys Atlas D hacks, but it is indeed possible for Republicans to win elections, especially in places where Trump did/will landslide by 30+ points.

this entire forum already thinks 2020 is a wave ignoring 2010 2012 94 96 82 84(82 is actually the closest election to this with the same senate class and a house flip and 54 and 56.) they think because muh trump backlash its gonna be a wave again when we know the fact that if trump is mostly innocent then its better that he doesn't have the house than a narrow and useless house majority.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2018, 08:01:29 PM »

this entire forum already thinks 2020 is a wave ignoring 2010 2012 94 96 82 84(82 is actually the closest election to this with the same senate class and a house flip and 54 and 56.) they think because muh trump backlash its gonna be a wave again when we know the fact that if trump is mostly innocent then its better that he doesn't have the house than a narrow and useless house majority.

1982 and 2010 were wave elections because of the bad economy. Trump and the Republicans on the contrary enjoyed the best economy in almost 20 years and still got clobbered. And it can only get worse the next two years.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »

1982 and 2010 were wave elections because of the bad economy. Trump and the Republicans on the contrary enjoyed the best economy in almost 20 years and still got clobbered. And it can only get worse the next two years.

and 94 was a decent economy afaik.  Trump can pivot to the center. He has to push the criminal justice reform and thats a good bipartisan victory for all.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #489 on: November 20, 2018, 08:03:50 PM »

Hill might end up overperforimg Clinton by quite an impressive margin-

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #490 on: November 20, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »

and 94 was a decent economy afaik.  Trump can pivot to the center. He has to push the criminal justice reform and thats a good bipartisan victory for all.

No, he can't. The guy thinks the midterms were a personal triumph. Why would he change his tune?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #491 on: November 20, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »

Thats not at all how politics work, at least not now. Trump is hated by the Democrats, he isnt getting their votes. He is hated by a majority of Indies, he is not getting their votes. He cant just pivot to the center and suddenly everyone likes him and his approval goes up to the high 50s, people dont work like that.

Besides, this midterm should have been proof that it doesnt work like that. Moderate Republicans lost, Pro-Trump Democrats lost. Voters are stupid, but they arent that stupid.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #492 on: November 20, 2018, 08:21:55 PM »

Any news about Cox?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #493 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »

According to https://www.fresnobee.com/news/politics-government/election/local-election/article221926680.html, Kern won't have another update until Monday.  No idea about the other counties.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #494 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »

Tulare updated a whole seven votes, with Valadao gaining one.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #495 on: November 20, 2018, 08:38:08 PM »

Wow... they're taking forever to count the votes.  Thanks for letting me know.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #496 on: November 20, 2018, 08:49:11 PM »

I wouldn't quite call MN-07 Safe R unless Peterson retires, but he probably needs 2020 to be very good for Democrats to survive. Probably at least Lean R, if not Likely R.

Anyway, in CA-21 we got... 7 more votes from Tulare. I really hope we get something from Fresno, since that's pretty much where this race will be decided.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #497 on: November 20, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »

I wouldn't quite call MN-07 Safe R unless Peterson retires, but he probably needs 2020 to be very good for Democrats to survive. Probably at least Lean R, if not Likely R.

Anyway, in CA-21 we got... 7 more votes from Tulare. I really hope we get something from Fresno, since that's pretty much where this race will be decided.

Hey, that 1 net vote for Valadao might decide the race!

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #498 on: November 20, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »

Per the Fresno County Clerk's website, next update will be tomorrow at 3 PM PST
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #499 on: November 20, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »

100%.
To think that I wrote this seat off once Romney announced.
It’s crazy to think that Love managed to lose a heavily-gerrymanderred R-leaning seat as many times as she won it.
Almost as weird as the fact that both times coincided with Mitt ‘King of Utah’ Romney’s presence on the ballot. Maybe there’s a quiet anti-Mitt vote in Salt Lake?

If she were a Dem, you guys would be screaming about how racist Utah is for not voting for her. I, for one, am not celebrating that the only black Republican in the House has lost, someone who was mocked by Trump for opposing his bigotry. Yeah, I know we don't need more Republicans and all, and if a future piece of legislation or big vote comes down to one Congressman named McAdams, it might be a good thing, but somehow I doubt it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies