TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:22:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28
Author Topic: TX-SEN 2020 Megathread: Early Voting  (Read 54044 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 13, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »

The multiple loser:

2001: 3rd place in his unsuccessful campaign for Houston, TX Mayor. Later endorsed then-Mayor Lee P. Brown (D), who barely won reelection over then-Houston City Councilman At-Large 3 Orlando Sanchez (R): [51% to 49%].

2004: Failed to keep his US House seat, TX-25th (which was obviously gerrymandered by the GOP-controlled TX State Legislature, who followed the demands of then-US House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX), who wanted to erase the TX Dems from the Congressional landscape). He ran unsuccessfully in the TX-09 Dem Primary, losing to Al Green (D), who currently holds the US House seat.

2006: Dem nominee for the TX Governor's Mansion in an entertaining 4-way contest, losing to then-Governor Rick Perry (R), who won reelection with 39% of the statewide vote.

2008: Lost bid for TX State Senate from District 17 to Joan Huffman (R), who currently holds the seat.

2015: Lost another bid for Houston Mayor, falling in 5th place. He later endorsed former Kemah Mayor Bill King (R), who ultimately lost the December Runoff by a close margin: (50% to 49%).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »

John Cornyn is extraordinarily popular because he's an old fashioned conservative who is willing to make big changes in legislative and executive branch politics to create political space for the Republican Party. He's in favor of cutting back on the federal government and replacing it with a smaller, smaller government. His vision is very conservative and it's helped him win re-election several times.

He doesn't want to cut back on the spending of local law enforcement. He doesn't want to cut back on military spending, which may have been part of his motivation for running, but it's not a large amount. Cornyn is very pro-life and wants to reinstate federal funding for Planned Parenthood even though the Hyde Amendment restricts federal funding for abortion. He wants to end the Department of Labor's anti-union practices so there will be less competition.

In that vein, he was so popular by voting in 2010 for the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Bill. Since that legislation has come through both houses of Congress at the point where we would expect to see it repealed, it makes sense that Republicans are going to defend it against Democrats' criticisms.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2019, 09:00:48 PM »

Cornyn is undefeated in overall elections since 1984: Primary, Runoff & General elections.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2019, 09:05:46 PM »

Cornyn is undefeated in overall elections since 1984: Primary, Runoff & General elections.

I am also pretty sure Cornyn is undefeated in the very Republican Hays county Texas.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »

And Nelson was undefeated from 1972 to... you know what happened.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #355 on: May 21, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »

Everything always happens until it doesn't.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »

Also the original unbeatable titan, Dean Heller.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »

Not true. Nelson lost the 1990 Democratic primary for governor.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »

Not true. Nelson lost the 1990 Democratic primary for governor.

Ah, my mistake. But even then my point remains that something can continue happening until it doesn’t happen anymore.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #359 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:50 PM »

Getting closer to running. He has filed with FEC and hired a campaign manager.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #360 on: July 08, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »

Hegar seems preferable, people seem to be understating her since she is quite a strong candidate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2019, 03:18:21 AM »

Great news! ENDORSED, Chris Bell can beat Cornyn
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2019, 10:55:03 PM »

Hegar seems preferable, people seem to be understating her since she is quite a strong candidate.

Yeah Chris Bell is a loser. I’m not expecting anyone to actually beat Cornyn, and I wish Hegar had run against Carter again since she probably would’ve won that race with two more years of Williamson County hippy growth/bluening. But I support her in the Senate primary out of the rest of the field easily. This race will probably be within single digits no matter what, and there’s the chance of a Trump collapse bringing Cornyn down with him, but that’s still not likely at the moment. The Presidential race will be within 3% here, mark my words.

One of these years soon Texas is gonna hit these people with their head in their asses like a frickin freight train
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #363 on: July 10, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »

If you think Cornyn will win by double digits, you probably think Trump will too. I think they should be tied within around 2-3% of each other. Cornyn is not "popular" so much as he is unknown despite being a Senator for so long, just rather uncontroversial.
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »

Houston City Councilwoman Amanda Edwards in:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #365 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:15 PM »

I like her more than Hegar.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #366 on: July 18, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »

She is more attractive to me than Jon Cornyn in the same way that Robert Francis O'Rourke was more attractive to me than Ted Cruz, so I am slightly unnerved.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: July 19, 2019, 01:41:30 AM »

Chris Bell would be a better candidate
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: July 19, 2019, 01:49:41 AM »

She is more attractive to me than Jon Cornyn in the same way that Robert Francis O'Rourke was more attractive to me than Ted Cruz, so I am slightly unnerved.

Because attractiveness is the way to judge public servants Roll Eyes Her Twitter and website makes an interesting impression though. Who ever is the best candidate should target Cornyn.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #369 on: July 19, 2019, 12:58:07 PM »

Boobs
HCP
« Reply #370 on: July 19, 2019, 01:05:45 PM »

2018 LG candidate Mike Collier is West's assistant campaign treasurer. Not sure it'll make much of a difference but West definitely has some momentum behind him, unlike Amanda Edwards.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: July 19, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »

If I were Dems, I would invest in SC, Harrison is a good candidate . Also KS and AK, than TX
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »

Amanda Edwards raised over $200K in the first 24 hours of her campaign.

She could be another Beto in that she goes from being a relatively unknown politician to a superstar senate candidate. Whether she beats Cornyn or not, I remain skeptical.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2019, 09:26:37 PM »

Strong Incumbent John Cornyn with NUT-worthy approval numbers in new poll:

The poll also asked about the U.S. Senate race in Texas – and the jury is out on the state’s senior Senator, John Cornyn. While one-fourth of respondents approve of Cornyn’s performance and 27% disapprove, another 48% replied, they “don’t know.”

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/news-roundup-new-poll-of-texas-voters-shows-several-democrats-have-an-edge-over-donald-tump/

This poll also showed Democrats with absurdly good numbers in the presidential race, but it’s pretty obvious that Cornyn isn’t much more popular than Cruz and extremely unknown.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2019, 10:23:34 PM »

Strong Incumbent John Cornyn with NUT-worthy approval numbers in new poll:

The poll also asked about the U.S. Senate race in Texas – and the jury is out on the state’s senior Senator, John Cornyn. While one-fourth of respondents approve of Cornyn’s performance and 27% disapprove, another 48% replied, they “don’t know.”

https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/news-roundup-new-poll-of-texas-voters-shows-several-democrats-have-an-edge-over-donald-tump/

This poll also showed Democrats with absurdly good numbers in the presidential race, but it’s pretty obvious that Cornyn isn’t much more popular than Cruz and extremely unknown.

Kick him in the balls with the best we got....

Dude doesn't represent Texas in 2020 and let's focus on our local Texas based issues, and let Trump "drain the Swamp from the various rivers of Texas all the way down to the Gulf of Mexico, simply based upon his own words.....

We need to challenge the Coral Snakes, Cottonmouths, Copperheads, and Timber Rattlers and in our own backyards.

Never got bit with any of these, but hell avoided many hiking trails unless I was wearing high boots with my Wranglers tucked in just in case....

Texas / Tejas isn't the kind of state where you just go limp within a virtual "Civil Disobedience" style move rhetorically.... grab the virtual shotgun and blast out at the crap and vulnerabilities of your opponent if they come after you and hit them on their Greek ankle....

We could always do a Metallica "Fight Fire with Fire" song, but Texas is more of knife fighting state politically (ask Rick Perry from East-Tex) than a shoot-em-up state.

Cornyn is unknown because he hasn't done crap for his state, other than to put $$$ into the pockets of the industries that he represents....

Now he might be able to explain some of his history campaign commercial with his amazing family history, BUT, the only thing he has going for him in the 2020 TX-SEN Election is that he is Republican.

Other than that he is nobody.... he is someone who hasn't done squat for the vast majority of citizens and voters of the Great State of Texas / Tejas.

Like many other major Texas politicians over the decades, as soon as he got a Senate gig, he's been living full-time in Washington DC.

Hanging out in fancy cocktail parties swapping stories with the rich and powerful elites, while meanwhile down in Tyler, Texas we haven't seen crap.

Living in AC Housing the 'burbs of DFW, Houston, SA, and Austin.... we have no funding for transportation, schools, and government infrastructure is crap.

Why would Texas voters have a high approval rating from a spineless Senator that hasn't done s**t for Texas, where even the vast majority of Republican supporters consider it to be virtually it's own country?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies