Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 04:12:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come  (Read 21280 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 27, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »

The Jewish people have been the targets of hatred, based usually on envy, for longer than I've been alive.  It's be a feature of the diaspora for centuries.  In Russia.  In Eastern Europe.  In the Middle East.  In France.  And in Germany, which, before Hitler came to power, was considered one of the more liberal and tolerant destinations for Jews.

My oldest and best friends in New York, where I grew up. were mostly Jewish.  They have all heard the ugliness of anti-Semetism in all sorts of forms.  The sources of resentment was usually resentment toward their wealth; what was never mentioned by the haters was the extreme sacrifices Jewish immigrants made for their children to have better lives.  They made wise choices, they valued education.  I know some of the older Jewish immigrants (now long passed, I'm sure) and the extreme sacrifices they made so their children could go to college and beyond.  THIS was the source of most of the envy and resentment toward Jews that I saw.  I know many Jews personally that are well off, economically, and every one of my personal acquaintances and friends have in their ancestry someone who came with nothing, sacrificed for their future generations, and, if they were fortunate, lived long enough to see and enjoy some of that pay off.

I have not spoken to any of my older friends today.  They all live up north.  I cannot imagine that Donald Trump is on THEIR minds.  Anti-Semetism, yes; Donald Trump, no.  And I doubt any of them voted for Trump either.  Period.

Are people not better than to whip up blaming Trump for THIS on the eve of midterms?  If he were really at fault for this, that would be one thing, but he's not, yet people push this particular card aggressively.  If the people of Squirrel Hill are saying this, I'll listen.  If it's overly-policiticized Red Atlas Avatars, well, meybe it's time for a sabbatical from politics.

This.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #301 on: October 27, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »

A dozen Jewish people are dead in the same week that the violent far-right hatred of Democratic politicians and ex-Presidents, media figures, and George Soros has turned personally threatening to those very individuals.

I don’t care if this lowlife thought Trump was a traitor to the Master Race; he clearly believes the same conspiracy theories that President Many Fine People on Both Sides has been peddling from the beginning of his permanent fascist-attracting campaign.

On a more sobering, tragic, and frightening note: It sounds like this particular terrorist was very deliberate in his choice of targets. He knew what the symbolism of attacking Jews in their sacred community space was, in a deeply historic, heavily Jewish neighborhood. He knew the fear and horror and even anger this would provoke. This is exactly what Dylann Roof did in Charleston to the black community there, or what ISIS and other Salafi jihadist types do when they bomb Shiite Muslims in their historic mosques, etc.

Make no mistake; this was a deeply political act of violence against civilians, one meant to strike fear into the hearts of its targets, draw widespread public attention. and maybe even inspire like-minded individuals to commit similar acts. There’s a word for this in the discourse, I think...
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #302 on: October 27, 2018, 08:01:55 PM »

The Jewish people have been the targets of hatred, based usually on envy, for longer than I've been alive.  It's be a feature of the diaspora for centuries.  In Russia.  In Eastern Europe.  In the Middle East.  In France.  And in Germany, which, before Hitler came to power, was considered one of the more liberal and tolerant destinations for Jews.

My oldest and best friends in New York, where I grew up. were mostly Jewish.  They have all heard the ugliness of anti-Semetism in all sorts of forms.  The sources of resentment was usually resentment toward their wealth; what was never mentioned by the haters was the extreme sacrifices Jewish immigrants made for their children to have better lives.  They made wise choices, they valued education.  I know some of the older Jewish immigrants (now long passed, I'm sure) and the extreme sacrifices they made so their children could go to college and beyond.  THIS was the source of most of the envy and resentment toward Jews that I saw.  I know many Jews personally that are well off, economically, and every one of my personal acquaintances and friends have in their ancestry someone who came with nothing, sacrificed for their future generations, and, if they were fortunate, lived long enough to see and enjoy some of that pay off.

I have not spoken to any of my older friends today.  They all live up north.  I cannot imagine that Donald Trump is on THEIR minds.  Anti-Semetism, yes; Donald Trump, no.  And I doubt any of them voted for Trump either.  Period.

Are people not better than to whip up blaming Trump for THIS on the eve of midterms?  If he were really at fault for this, that would be one thing, but he's not, yet people push this particular card aggressively.  If the people of Squirrel Hill are saying this, I'll listen.  If it's overly-policiticized Red Atlas Avatars, well, meybe it's time for a sabbatical from politics.

Great. Not only do we get to hear more long-winded, personal "sad" stories from Fuzzy, but apparently he is now a mind-reader to exactly how his "older friends" feel and think.
If he opens-up a psychic-reading small business out of his home, he could be a millionaire.

Let's say, for a minute, that Donald Trump went on TV and made a statement that kind of statement that everyone wants here.  A statement that not only condemns antisemitism, but an apology for seeming to equivocate on the alt-right in the past, coupled with the sort of condemnation of such groups that met Atlas standards.  Let's say this happened.  What would the Atlas Left response be?

Would there be a gracious acknowledgement of such a statement from the likes of ProudModerate2, Invisible Obama, Yank, Solid, Doctor Imperialism, frodo, harry, and a slew of others who post in their vein here?  Would these folks post gratitude for Trump "coming to his senses" and emphasize areas agreement?  Or would they respond by heaping the vitriol on Trump, calling him a hypocrite, suggesting he is being insincere, or just blathering on as of he never made that statement?  As those individuals have NEVER on this forum manifested graciousness toward people who disagree with them, why wouldn't a statement meant to heal issued by Trump be met with ungracious replies from the ungracious.  Just imagine the rants against "The Orange Clown" that would come forth from this ungracious cacophony of keyboards, all ranting in unison, in response to a statement that was meant for healing and RIGHTEOUS indignation (as opposed to the faux, politically-motivated indignance practiced to an art form around here).

And the real world outside Atlas is full of such people.  People who won't agree with Trump when he's right or when he's doing the right thing.  I don't believe I'm wrong in my assessment of those folks, and there are millions of them in America poised and ready to criticize any sort of statement urging healing by our President.  Calthrina950 has more decency on his worst day than any of those others have on their best.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #303 on: October 27, 2018, 08:08:48 PM »

The most surprising event of all this was learning that Fuzzy was a White-Flighter, I legit thought he was a north Florida Native

I'm a native Long Islander.  And while I'd like to live in North Florida, that's not been my station to date. 
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 08:35:14 PM by Sherrod Brown 2020 »

Great. Not only do we get to hear more long-winded, personal "sad" stories from Fuzzy, but apparently he is now a mind-reader to exactly how his "older friends" feel and think.
If he opens-up a psychic-reading small business out of his home, he could be a millionaire.

Let's say, for a minute, that Donald Trump went on TV and made a statement that kind of statement that everyone wants here.  A statement that not only condemns antisemitism, but an apology for seeming to equivocate on the alt-right in the past, coupled with the sort of condemnation of such groups that met Atlas standards.  Let's say this happened.  What would the Atlas Left response be?

Would there be a gracious acknowledgement of such a statement from the likes of ProudModerate2, Invisible Obama, Yank, Solid, Doctor Imperialism, frodo, harry, and a slew of others who post in their vein here?  Would these folks post gratitude for Trump "coming to his senses" and emphasize areas agreement?  Or would they respond by heaping the vitriol on Trump, calling him a hypocrite, suggesting he is being insincere, or just blathering on as of he never made that statement?  As those individuals have NEVER on this forum manifested graciousness toward people who disagree with them, why wouldn't a statement meant to heal issued by Trump be met with ungracious replies from the ungracious.  Just imagine the rants against "The Orange Clown" that would come forth from this ungracious cacophony of keyboards, all ranting in unison, in response to a statement that was meant for healing and RIGHTEOUS indignation (as opposed to the faux, politically-motivated indignance practiced to an art form around here).

And the real world outside Atlas is full of such people.  People who won't agree with Trump when he's right or when he's doing the right thing.  I don't believe I'm wrong in my assessment of those folks, and there are millions of them in America poised and ready to criticize any sort of statement urging healing by our President.  Calthrina950 has more decency on his worst day than any of those others have on their best.

We'll wait for the inevitable tweet that will be a complete contradiction of what he said earlier.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #305 on: October 27, 2018, 08:21:29 PM »

We’d be in a state of disbelief that he did the right thing in a period of disaster, like the debt ceiling raise, the Opioid executive action, or announcing a cut off of aid to Pakistan. Why would we be accepting of one cleaning up the mess they made, that isn’t something to be congratulated for.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #306 on: October 27, 2018, 08:22:53 PM »

Just got back from the vigil in Squirrel Hill, very beautiful and very very sad.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #307 on: October 27, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »

It is nice that people are calling out Calthrina950 both sides schtick. He tries to act self-righteous and above the partisan bickering. But nearly all of his talking points are textbook whataboutism from the right.

Christ, at least Sanchez doesn't hide who he is.

I consider myself to be a centrist, but your words, and the words of others on here, have poisoned further my view of this forum. I am not engaging in whataboutism, no matter how much you think I am.

IMO, you are walking parody of centrism. Unlike some on the left, I don't outright hate centrists. But I do despise those who see fit to take a middle position on everything. That kind of thought process is harmful, because it allows those who are in the wrong to escape accountability.

What's dangerous is extremism.  Centrism is the opposite of that. Centrism is about balance, you know: the NATURAL ORDER OF THE UNIVERSE.
The natural order of the universe is entropy.  It is fundamentally out of balance.  
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #308 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »

We'll wait for the inevitable tweet that will be a complete contradiction of what he said earlier.

This was going to be my exact response, also.
trump constantly talks words of "condemnation" or "unity of the nation" (statements that he, himself does not write, by the way) but then by the next day or even just a few minutes later, he is back to his BS hatred-filled responses-of-attack on certain opponents, the media, immigrants, etc.

Why should ANYONE believe in anything he says? It's been the same thing over and over and over again for 2 years now.
His WH writers have trump read the TelePrompter like a robot and later we get to hear trump's true thoughts on the matter (which are never good or "healing" to anyone).
Is there anyone out there that is so inept and delusional, to not see this?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #309 on: October 27, 2018, 08:37:17 PM »

trump constantly talks words of "condemnation" or "unity of the nation" (statements that he, himself does not write, by the way) but then by the next day or even just a few minutes later, he is back to his BS hatred-filled responses-of-attack on certain opponents, the media, immigrants, etc.

We should ANYONE believe in anything he says? It's been the same thing over and over and over again for 2 years now.
His WH writers have trump read the TelePrompter like a robot and later we get to hear trump's true thoughts on the matter (which are never good or "healing" to anyone).

So Trump could be RIGHT, and you wouldn't support him, because you "can't believe him"?

That's an amazing statement.  What kind of nation are we if you are representative of half of it?  I grant you that we could say this about right-wing posters during the Obama years, but if Americans won't respond positively to a President when they know that President to be correct, I question their fidelity to America, itself.

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #310 on: October 27, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »

We should ANYONE believe in anything he says? It's been the same thing over and over and over again for 2 years now.

So Trump could be RIGHT, and you wouldn't support him, because you "can't believe him"?

That's an amazing statement.  What kind of nation are we if you are representative of half of it?  I grant you that we could say this about right-wing posters during the Obama years, but if Americans won't respond positively to a President when they know that President to be correct, I question their fidelity to America, itself.

The man flipflops on statements and actions more than I prepare my omelette. He has shown many times to be disingenuous when he is forced to says the right thing, and begins again to destroy the nation. Why give congrats to a caught child that goes off doing something bad right after being caught doing that bad thing. The tactic of milk before meat from your conversion really does bleed into your life.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »

Fuzzy.
The question is which statement are we to believe (and judge) from the Orange Tangerine.
The point is being made that he has various, contradicting statements.
trump initially, kind-of condemned the Chancellorsville event (where he "was RIGHT)", but then latter praised the alt-right Jew-hating protesters of the same event.
You cant expect people to praise him for being "right" on one aspect of the event, and then to ignore when he said something extremely deplorable later.

(This is just an example ...) If your mom passed-away and I told you that I am sincerely sorry for her passing, but then the next day I told you that you mom was a wh**e, would you (or anyone) praise me for being "right" about the entire experience of her death? And then multiple this by trump doing this over and over and over again. You come to a point where you give-up on said individual for their level of morality/ethics/honesty.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #312 on: October 27, 2018, 09:05:41 PM »

I'm just waiting for him to somehow try to portray the guy in a sympathetic light and the victims as somehow being aggressors like he did in Charlottesville.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »

Fuzzy.
The question is which statement are we to believe (and judge) from the Orange Tangerine.
The point is being made that he has various, contradicting statements.
trump initially, kind-of condemned the Chancellorsville event (where he "was RIGHT)", but then latter praised the alt-right Jew-hating protesters of the same event.
You cant expect people to praise him for being "right" on one aspect of the event, and then to ignore when he said something extremely deplorable later.

(This is just an example ...) If your mom passed-away and I told you that I am sincerely sorry for her passing, but then the next day I told you that you mom was a wh**e, would you (or anyone) praise me for being "right" about the entire experience of her death? And then multiple this by trump doing this over and over and over again. You come to a point where you give-up on said individual for their level of morality/ethics/honesty.

All of this still comes down to a declaration that you won't follow the leadership of President Trump even in an instance where what he says is right and in which you know him to be right.

It really does come down to that.

A tragedy has happened in a predominantly Jewish Community in Pittsburgh and the focus of the vast majority here is how to make Trump appear to be responsible for it.  That's where this Forum is at right now.  
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2018, 09:16:52 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 09:25:06 PM by PSOL »

^^That literally is what has happened. Trump&co. vilified the caravan, along with not acting against attacks on Jews, led to the shooter being emboldened to strike.

Your literally behaving like Calthrina in that you ignore any portions that dispute your worldview and parrot a mantra over and over again. You even provide a detailed story, always ending by saying that the libs are stupid and wrong or some other variation. Then you complain that we are all divisive and mean. Just come out that you will put the murder aside only if it advances the country to your liking.

I’m serious, just admit yourself. It’s not like we don’t already know this about you. That you make the stories to hide your agenda like the Pharisees did against Christ.

Edit: now I’m getting ignored by you since you can’t find anything to twist around. I can’t believe I used to trust this pastor of lies.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »

Just got back from the vigil in Squirrel Hill, very beautiful and very very sad.

Thank you for attending.
I saw some of it on the news, and to see the level of support from all aspects of the entire community was uplifting.
Sad that those who perished had to leave this Earth early, because of some Nazi scumbag.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »

^^That literally is what has happened. Trump&co. vilified the caravan, along with not acting against attacks on Jews, led to the shooter being emboldened to strike.

Your literally behaving like Calthrina in that you ignore any portions that dispute your worldview and parrot a mantra over and over again. You even provide a detailed story, always ending by saying that the libs are stupid and wrong or some other variation. Then you complain that we are all divisive and mean. Just come out that you will put the murder aside only if it advances the country to your liking.

I’m serious, just admit yourself. It’s not like we don’t already know this about you. That you make the stories to hide your agenda like the Pharisees did against Christ.

The murder here is not Trump's fault, period.

I have little interest in the politics of all of this.  I've cast my vote, and it's probably not what you think it is.  What I do care about is America being willing to respond to a President in time of national tragedy or national need.  That is the characteristic of a functional nation.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »

Agreed.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2018, 09:31:27 PM »

I have little interest in the politics of all of this.  I've cast my vote, and it's probably not what you think it is.  What I do care about is America being willing to respond to a President in time of national tragedy or national need.  That is the characteristic of a functional nation.

You have made no effort to explain why the multiple pieces of evidence on why it isn’t the President’s fault for this. All you’ve done is tell convoluted stories like they do in your church.

Also like we should take into account that in the 1860s, pro-union slavery supporters vote in the election when they fight for the confederacy, or act as a bystander, then do we.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 09:39:39 PM by ProudModerate2 »

The president has partial blame for these murders, due to his continuing rhetoric use of hate in his speeches. Period.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »

The president has partial blame for these murders, due to his rhetoric words of continued hate. Period.

Horsecrap!

Exclamation point!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2018, 09:45:28 PM »

The president has partial blame for these murders, due to his rhetoric words of continued hate. Period.

Horsecrap!
Exclamation point!

Suck on that for a while, and I'm glad it's burning!!
Double exclamation point!!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #322 on: October 27, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »

Words matter, especially coming from someone in a position of authority. Even if this shooter wasn't motivated by Trump it is still not healthy for the President of the United States to go on rants that could inflame the fringe. If Obama had taken the same sort of path and someone shot up an evangelical church or sent pipe bombs to his political detractors he would have been held to task for all of that. And remember, Trump did say on the trail twice that somebody should shoot Hillary Clinton and although that did not happen it was still a clear call for incitement that was unacceptable.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »

I have little interest in the politics of all of this.  I've cast my vote, and it's probably not what you think it is.  What I do care about is America being willing to respond to a President in time of national tragedy or national need.  That is the characteristic of a functional nation.

You have made no effort to explain why the multiple pieces of evidence on why it isn’t the President’s fault for this. All you’ve done is tell convoluted stories like they do in your church.

Also like we should take into account that in the 1860s, pro-union slavery supporters vote in the election when they fight for the confederacy, or act as a bystander, then do we.

Very few of the trump-supporting blue avatars have.
I even challenged Old School Republican to respond to a direct view of the evidence that links what this shooter was saying before he murdered, to the direct and similar (or identical) words of hate that trump has been spewing.
None of them have responded or had opinions directly related to this. The horse-blinders have been in heavy use in this thread.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #324 on: October 27, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »

Words matter, especially coming from someone in a position of authority. Even if this shooter wasn't motivated by Trump it is still not healthy for the President of the United States to go on rants that could inflame the fringe. If Obama had taken the same sort of path and someone shot up an evangelical church or sent pipe bombs to his political detractors he would have been held to task for all of that. And remember, Trump did say on the trail twice that somebody should shoot Hillary Clinton and although that did not happen it was still a clear call for incitement that was unacceptable.

The fringe, like this guy, doesn't need to be inflamed by any comment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies