Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 08:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Author Topic: Nobody in Pittsburgh wants Trump to come  (Read 21271 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 27, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »

America has a major Right-wing terrorist problem.

Not really.

The rate/number of antisemitic crimes actually has dropped over the last decade.  https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/statistics-on-religious-hate-crimes  2015 actually had more antisemitic crimes than 2016.

I would stress that these are "crimes," not incidents. However, even the number  "incidents" has been increasing from 2014, and that the number of assaults declined.   https://www.adl.org/resources/reports/2017-audit-of-anti-semitic-incidents#major-findings

If you read the ADL report, which everyone is quoting, it is very interesting. 

You mean the same report that indicates they had the highest percentage increase in 2017 but they've had in over 20 years? That report?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #226 on: October 27, 2018, 04:07:13 PM »

Trump is already talking about the (((globalists))) again at his FFA speech.

Trumpers: THIS is the tell that Trump doesn't take violence against non-white Christians seriously.

The probability that he isn't aware of, or that someone on his staff isn't aware of, the connotation of the word "globalist" is zero. The shooting happened less than 12 hours ago -- wounds are literally still fresh. And he is defiantly insisting on using a word with a clear anti-semitic connotation in a public event.

If he wasn't tacitly winking at attacks like this, why would he do this? Do any of you people have an answer?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #227 on: October 27, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »

Such a senseless crime with a pointless outcome.

RIP and thoughts and prayers with the families.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »

Let's just be clear about Trump and antisemitism.

Trump has been one of the more pro-Israel presidents.

His daughter is Jewish.

Her husband, who is also Jewish, is one of his principal advisors.

This doesn't scream anti-Semite.

Stop acting as though supporting Israel makes it impossible to be anti-Semitic.

Trump supports Saudi Arabia but no one doubts his barely-concealed hatred of Muslims.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2018, 04:38:01 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 04:44:39 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The President of the United States is responsible for this shooting. By manufacturing a potemkin refugee crisis, he encouraged Breitbart and Fox News to spread slander, pinning the emergence of the caravan on George Soros and Democratic politicians. The right-wing media's coverage of the caravan suggested that it was an existential threat to the United States and it was the primary story for weeks. This, of course, was a catalyst in the minds of fascists and those adjacent to fascists.

The President was not encouraging anyone to murder Jews, of course, but he provoked such behavior with his determination to spread propaganda about the danger of caravans. We all know where anti-Semitism on the extreme right stems - it comes from the belief that Jews want to destroy the white race through mass immigration. If one whips up fear and hatred of a caravan of refugees for two weeks, what do you think the outcome is going to be?

This didn't happen once this week. It happened three times. In one case, the plot was foiled. In another case, Jews were murdered. In another case, the case was partially foiled but, sadly, two Black people were murdered in a grocery store. It's time for people to wake up to the reality of America in 2018 - we are in for a period of darkness. This is verging on non-jihadist political terrorism last seen in the developed world in the 1970s and 1980s.

edit: by bringing this up, I am not politicizing anything because this was political violence i.e. an act of terrorism. My attribution of the source of said violence is a theory but I think it deserves consideration, even from those who love the President but who have some affection for Jews. The "Soros" slander, at bare minimum, must stop. If you must blame someone, blame Democratic politicians but blaming Soros points people in the direction of a vector of anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #230 on: October 27, 2018, 04:39:32 PM »

America has a major Right-wing terrorist problem.

Not really.

The rate/number of antisemitic crimes actually has dropped over the last decade.  https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/statistics-on-religious-hate-crimes  2015 actually had more antisemitic crimes than 2016.

I would stress that these are "crimes," not incidents. However, even the number  "incidents" has been increasing from 2014, and that the number of assaults declined.   https://www.adl.org/resources/reports/2017-audit-of-anti-semitic-incidents#major-findings

If you read the ADL report, which everyone is quoting, it is very interesting.  

If you open up a newspaper, you'll find that at least 11 Jews were murdered in a synagogue today. This singular incident of extreme violence is important in and of itself and we need not reference trends or data points to see it as an important event.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #231 on: October 27, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »

You mean the same report that indicates they had the highest percentage increase in 2017 but they've had in over 20 years? That report?

Yes, the same report that showed a 47% decrease in the number of physical attacks over 2016. It looks like 2016 may have been a decrease from 2015.

Harassment was up, though there can be some explanations that have nothing to with politics or antisemitism (and it is a strange story). 

Vandalism was where there was a increase, but that might be due to better reporting.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #232 on: October 27, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »

The President of the United States is responsible for this shooting. By manufacturing a potemkin refugee crisis, he encouraged Breitbart and Fox News to spread slander, pinning the emergence of the caravan on George Soros and Democratic politicians. The right-wing media's coverage of the caravan suggested that it was an existential threat to the United States and it was the primary story for weeks. This, of course, was a catalyst in the minds of fascists and those adjacent to fascists.

The President was not encouraging anyone to murder Jews, of course, but he provoked such behavior with his determination to spread propaganda about the danger of caravans. We all know where anti-Semitism on the extreme right stems - it comes from the belief that Jews want to destroy the white race through mass immigration. If one whips up fear and hatred of a caravan of refugees for two weeks, what do you think the outcome is going to be?

This didn't happen once this week. It happened three times. In one case, the plot was foiled. In another case, Jews were murdered. In another case, the case was partially foiled but, sadly, two Black people were murdered in a grocery store. It's time for people to wake up to the reality of America in 2018 - we are in for a period of darkness. This is verging on non-jihadist political terrorism last seen in the developed world in the 1970s and 1980s.

edit: by bringing this up, I am not politicizing anything because this was political violence i.e. an act of terrorism. My attribution of the source of said violence is a theory but I think it deserves consideration, even from those who love the President but who have some affection for Jews. The "Soros" slander, at bare minimum, must stop. If you must blame someone, blame Democratic politicians but blaming Soros points people in the direction of a vector of anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda.

Absolutely no, just no

Is his rhetoric helpful , of course not but to blame him for this is crazy
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

Usually I am not too short on words when it comes to stories like this but seriously, I'm at a loss. This week has truly filled me with despair. It might actually be one of the worst weeks of the Trump era, and that's saying a lot. I usually always say about Trump that: "the fact that I hate Trump so much, while having little to lose from his actual policies, is a real testament to how hated he should be by the people that are actually being negatively affected by him being President." Perhaps I stand corrected, because as a Jew and as a liberal Democrat, apparently hunting season is on for us. Between this tragedy in Pittsburgh and the mail bombs, it's clear that there are some in this country who have become much more brazen in their extremism since the Enabler-in-Chief took office and who will not be satisfied unless the people they hate or disagree with are silenced or dead. It's truly upsetting.

But what sucks is that this week can still get worse, because Bolsonaro is poised to become President of Brazil tomorrow. I guess that means that it isn't just our nation that's beyond repair, but the world and humanity as a whole.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2018, 04:49:13 PM »

A Trump-hating actual Nazi shoots up a synagogue, what a world.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »

Absolutely no, just no

Is his rhetoric helpful , of course not but to blame him for this is crazy

Your right. Its not just Trump's fault but the fault of the entire GOP as theyve been saying this stuff for a long time now:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2018, 05:19:30 PM by Calthrina950 »

I would add further to this by saying that antisemitism is by no means confined to the right side of the political spectrum. There are people on the left (i.e. Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Linda Sarsour, Illhan Omar, etc.) who have said very nasty things about Jews. Farrakhan and Sarsour are the worst offenders. This is to say nothing of Palestinian apologists in general. Thus, people on here pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism" are sorely mistaken.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2018, 05:11:50 PM »

I would add further to this by saying that antisemitism is by no means confined to the right side of the political spectrum. There are people on the left (i.e. Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Linda Sarsour, Illhan Omar, etc.) who have said very nasty things about Jews. Farrakhan and Sardour are the worst offenders. This is to say nothing of Palestinian apologists in general. Thus, people on here pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism" are sorely mistaken.

He bashed Trump for being a globalist. He's rightwing.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »

I would add further to this by saying that antisemitism is by no means confined to the right side of the political spectrum. There are people on the left (i.e. Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Linda Sarsour, Illhan Omar, etc.) who have said very nasty things about Jews. Farrakhan and Sardour are the worst offenders. This is to say nothing of Palestinian apologists in general. Thus, people on here pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism" are sorely mistaken.

No one is pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism", we are saying that this particular instance of extreme violence is an act of right-wing terrorism and that the President is complicit because if you substitute "Jews" for "Soros" (what is the difference anyways?), the President's rhetoric is no different than this man's rhetoric.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #239 on: October 27, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »

Yep, fair enough. And just because people (like myself) hate George Soros and his ideas, doesn't make those people anti-Semites necessarily.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »

He bashed Trump for being a globalist. He's rightwing.

I did not try to dissociate the right side of the political spectrum from this. And I've even said in some of my earlier posts that this man is clearly far out on the right, and is, more strictly speaking, an adherent of the far-right. What I am trying to say is that people on here are avoiding the uncomfortable fact that the left wing too, has its anti-semites, and that there are anti-semitic people within or in support of the Democratic Party, such as Sarsour and Omar.

No one is pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism", we are saying that this particular instance of extreme violence is an act of right-wing terrorism and that the President is complicit because if you substitute "Jews" for "Soros" (what is the difference anyways?), the President's rhetoric is no different than this man's rhetoric.

I agree that this particular incident is an act of right-wing terrorism. But it has been construed by many on here as to mean that all Republicans should be held to blame for this. If this had been a Muslim or someone of that kind, who had strong left-wing affiliations, who committed this act in the "name of Allah", would the reaction be the same on here? I'm not so sure it would be. Acts of violence, regardless of who perpetuates them, should be condemned in a universal, sweeping manner. Turning this into a political issue, of the nature that the predominantly left-wing community of this forum has, is not proper.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »

Yep, fair enough. And just because people (like myself) hate George Soros and his ideas, doesn't make those people anti-Semites necessarily.

I agree. I don't think George Soros is as important as many on the right side of the spectrum think he is, but I also don't condone those who try to blur the line between political opposition and outright extremism. It is possible to oppose people for the ideas they support, without any regard whatsoever for their religion, race, or other characteristics. Soros has the right to donate to whichever causes he wishes, but that doesn't mean that he should be lauded.

Mechavada
The News

« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »

I'm glad forces on the Left are at least bringing up the implications of the Grand Soros Conspiracy.  Like man, it's been obvious what people meant by that for years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »

Yes, the same report that showed a 47% decrease in the number of physical attacks over 2016. It looks like 2016 may have been a decrease from 2015.

Harassment was up, though there can be some explanations that have nothing to with politics or antisemitism (and it is a strange story). 

Vandalism was where there was a increase, but that might be due to better reporting.

JJ, you are amazing. But early and completely amazing. And by amazing I totally don't mean obstinate to the point of foolishness.
I am so not going to put you on ignore. Your dithering about like an internet mr. Magoo is simply hilarious
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2018, 05:29:37 PM »

People coming into a thread about a Bannonite Nazi shooting up a synagogue to scold people on the left for anti-semites in their caucus is Peak 2018.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »

People coming into a thread about a Bannonite Nazi shooting up a synagogue to scold people on the left for anti-semites in their caucus is Peak 2018.

Evading the point of what I said again. And given that the shooter hated Trump for being "controlled by the Jews", it makes my point go even further. I am not a Trump supporter, as I've made clear many times, but I've grown distressed by the blatant bias and partisanship displayed by so many on here, day in and day out.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »

I agree. I don't think George Soros is as important as many on the right side of the spectrum think he is, but I also don't condone those who try to blur the line between political opposition and outright extremism. It is possible to oppose people for the ideas they support, without any regard whatsoever for their religion, race, or other characteristics. Soros has the right to donate to whichever causes he wishes, but that doesn't mean that he should be lauded.

No one said he had to be lauded. Plenty of Democrats don't like the Koch Brothers but there have been no instances of them being sent bombs or even attacked them over their ethnicity or religion. Just because people think Soros shouldn't have been sent a bomb doesn't mean they are demanding that he be lauded.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2018, 05:38:29 PM »

Evading the point of what I said again. And given that the shooter hated Trump for being "controlled by the Jews", it makes my point go even further. I am not a Trump supporter, as I've made clear many times, but I've grown distressed by the blatant bias and partisanship displayed by so many on here, day in and day out.

No, but you act like the majority of Germans that weren’t members of the Nazi party that defended his actions whenever there is controversy

I would add further to this by saying that antisemitism is by no means confined to the right side of the political spectrum. There are people on the left (i.e. Louis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Linda Sarsour, Illhan Omar, etc.) who have said very nasty things about Jews. Farrakhan and Sarsour are the worst offenders. This is to say nothing of Palestinian apologists in general. Thus, people on here pretending that this is only a problem of "right-wing terrorism" are sorely mistaken.
Absolutely none of the people mentioned are relevant to the Democratic party supporter base nor leadership. Heck, Louise Farrakhan isn’t even a leftist, he endorsed Donald Trump so that America can be an ethnostate. Not to mention the last two criticized Israel, not the Jewish people.

Instead, several Republican congressman trued to meet with the Czech Nazi party, along with Donald Trump having among him Steve Bannon and Stephan Gorka. Donald Trump has also repeatedly threatened violence and detainment against Central Americans, a straw for the recent shooter. I honestly am tired of your charade being deaf to the whistles. It is ruining the forum quality by you spouting platitudes and mantras paralleling the Nuremberg defendants.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »

No one said he had to be lauded. Plenty of Democrats don't like the Koch Brothers but there have been no instances of them being sent bombs or even attacked them over their ethnicity or religion. Just because people think Soros shouldn't have been sent a bomb doesn't mean they are demanding that he be lauded.

But what really makes Soros different from the Koch Brothers? They are all billionaires donating to political causes. But because of their party affiliation, the responses to them are different. If it had been the Koch Brothers, I'm not so sure this forum's reaction would have been the same. Many people on here seem to operate by a double standard, not treating everything in a more equitable manner.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »

Absolutely none of the people mentioned are relevant to the Democratic party supporter base nor leadership. Heck, Louise Farrakhan isn’t even a leftist, he endorsed Donald Trump so that America can be an ethnostate. Not to mention the last two criticized Israel, not the Jewish people.

Instead, several Republican congressman trued to meet with the Czech Nazi party, along with Donald Trump having among him Steve Bannon and Stephan Gorka. Donald Trump has also repeatedly threatened violence and detainment against Central Americans, a straw for the recent shooter. I honestly am tired of your charade being deaf to the whistles. It is ruining the forum quality by you spouting platitudes and mantras paralleling the Nuremberg defendants.

I am the one spouting platitudes? I am the one engaged in a charade? Most of the posters on this forum routinely engage in behaviors which are objectionable, and which should be called out. From denigrating their opponents, to throwing out profanity and inappropriate references frequently, to laughing at others, to attacking others. What I have said and done does not match the level of cruelty which many on here have displayed themselves capable of.

And discounting the fact that there are people on the left side of the spectrum who have displayed anti-semitic sentiments proves again the double standard that is adhered to here. I say that if the shoe were on the other foot, people here would be singing a different tune.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies