Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 01:06:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 99
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 150348 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: March 04, 2020, 01:36:57 PM »

The reason why Bernie appealed to me so much more than, say, Warren is that I believe he's "hiding he's power level".

Duh, which is why I fear him so much.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #1826 on: March 04, 2020, 01:41:37 PM »

After a brief period of immense disappointment, I am over the results tonight and intend to spend the rest of my time this primary season working on my novel and accepting the inevitability of four more years of Agent Orange. Less stress that way.

Will you at least vote for Biden in the general?

Nope. Won't make any difference given my state, so I might as well vote my conscience, and my conscience tells me that a 78 year old geezer who can't string a sentence together in a debate is not the future of America.

Atlas needs more published authors! Best of luck with the writing process. Lately I can't stick to anything I write at all for longer than a few days.

Thanks, my guy! I totally get that, though my issue is motivating myself to actually start. I have no problem doing collaborative writing, since there's an immediate pressure in that case, but solo writing is the bane of my nonexistent attention span. This is what I want to do with my life, though, what with how my disability effects my ability to work in public, so I'm working on it steadily.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1827 on: March 04, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »

Doing the needful...
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1828 on: March 04, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »

ended my 3 weeks of being straight edge last night by slamming margs at Logan's Roadhouse
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1829 on: March 04, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »

After a brief period of immense disappointment, I am over the results tonight and intend to spend the rest of my time this primary season working on my novel and accepting the inevitability of four more years of Agent Orange. Less stress that way.

What's your novel about? That is, if you're comfortable telling.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1830 on: March 04, 2020, 10:30:05 PM »

Nope. Won't make any difference given my state, so I might as well vote my conscience, and my conscience tells me that a 78 year old geezer who can't string a sentence together in a debate is not the future of America.

Fair enough, given the safeness of CO at the presidential level. Jumping off of that, what are your thoughts on Hickenlooper, considering he's the likely nominee for that Senate race?
Wrong square state bud
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1831 on: March 04, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »

One of the more unique street signs I've seen...

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1832 on: March 04, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »

One of the more unique street signs I've seen...

You're in Quebec, I presume? (The stop signs in France say "STOP" on them.)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1833 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:14 AM »

Fair enough, given the safeness of CO at the presidential level. Jumping off of that, what are your thoughts on Hickenlooper, considering he's the likely nominee for that Senate race?
Wrong square state bud

Wow that's a brain fart
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1834 on: March 05, 2020, 12:57:12 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2020, 01:03:26 AM by I Beg to Dream and Differ »

Trust me, it happens. Tongue Having said that, I'm absolutely willing to share my thoughts on Hickenlooper, and my voting philosophy in general this year: I'm either going third party or write-in at the presidential level, but I'm more likely than not still going to vote blue all downballot, especially for my local State Leg. Rock Springs still has a well of Democrats in it and I intend to help capitalize on it.

Now, even though it's the wrong square state, my thoughts on Hickenlooper are this: I wish we'd found someone more progressive and, way more crucially, younger, but it's still going to be satisfying to watch him bat Gardner into the planet's orbit. As far as embarrassing that SOB goes, we could've found no better candidate.

What's your novel about? That is, if you're comfortable telling.

Oh, I'm f**king jazzed to share, believe me. It's called Only Darkness, and it's a sci-fi war novel and political critique. By that, I mean that the main antagonistic force is an authoritarian federation based heavily on the British Empire and Bush-era America, especially in the foreign policy department. The message I'm hoping to go for is that a righteous person's duty is to question unrighteous authority, and that love and loyalty to family should always trump loyalty to country especially when the country in question has degraded rapidly into a dictatorship.

So basically a dramatization of world events transplanted into a spacefaring setting. Also, have I mentioned my opposition to neoconservatism today? Tongue
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1835 on: March 05, 2020, 01:10:04 AM »

Oh, I'm f**king jazzed to share, believe me. It's called Only Darkness, and it's a sci-fi war novel and political critique. By that, I mean that the main antagonistic force is an authoritarian federation based heavily on the British Empire and Bush-era America, especially in the foreign policy department. The message I'm hoping to go for is that a righteous person's duty is to question unrighteous authority, and that love and loyalty to family should always trump loyalty to country especially when the country in question has degraded rapidly into a dictatorship.

So basically a dramatization of world events transplanted into a spacefaring setting. Also, have I mentioned my opposition to neoconservatism today? Tongue

So do the villains justify their deeds using the same philosophy as Bush did? "You're with us or against us," "We'll be greeted as liberators," "We're the world's police," and all the moral superiority that comes with that? That sounds interesting. Villainous sci-fi dictatorships all too often play off of Rome or Nazi Germany, so it's good to hear a different take on that. Anyway, best of luck. I've always thought that sci-fi was the best venue for political/philosophical commentary, even if the genre doesn't always live up to its potential.
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1836 on: March 05, 2020, 01:15:12 AM »

So do the villains justify their deeds using the same philosophy as Bush did? "You're with us or against us," "We'll be greeted as liberators," "We're the world's police," and all the moral superiority that comes with that? That sounds interesting. Villainous sci-fi dictatorships all too often play off of Rome or Nazi Germany, so it's good to hear a different take on that. Anyway, best of luck. I've always thought that sci-fi was the best venue for political/philosophical commentary, even if the genre doesn't always live up to its potential.

Absolutely all of the above. I feel like the Nazis, Soviets, and Romans are way too easy as targets and that there are much more appropriate contemporary inspirations from which to draw. So in my case, I want to make the philosophy espoused by my villains less "genocidal goose-stepping mass murder" and more "mass murder as committed by patriots loyal to their nation who legitimately think they're doing their righteous duty as citizens".

In any case, I agree. I love high fantasy and all, but genres like steampunk and sci-fi hit way closer to home in setting and can, thus, be more easily related.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1837 on: March 05, 2020, 12:42:27 PM »

Decided to look it up, Bernie won my precinct, so thats a small consolation
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1838 on: March 05, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2020, 09:11:16 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

This week, It has taken every ounce of effort not to turn into nine year old George Bailey defending the honor of his father to Potter at the Savings and Loan "Don't let him say that about you, Pa."

The contempt I have for rudeness is making me see red. I have had an outburst on behalf of a waitress before, but it would have no upside to do it for my boss. Having to show humility to abusive people for short term financial gain is one reason I will never reach the top of my field.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1839 on: March 06, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »

My psychiatrist gave me a brand new antidepressant that's on the market to try for two months as well as an increase in Lyrica dosage, so I'll see how that goes.

He wouldn't give me the maximum dosage on Lyrica (800 mg). I wish he would have, because my body is very resistant to most medications, but I'll be giving that a try when I get my refill next week and hopefully I'll crawl out of this emotional pit, or at least not take another dive like last week.

I've also started working with my therapist on my depression side of things. We had been working on the anxiety before. So it's possible that my improvement in that area is what's causing the depression to be more "noticeable" for me. That's actually good news, in a sense.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1840 on: March 06, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »

No feeling like getting a tough cookie to warm to you.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1841 on: March 06, 2020, 09:17:33 PM »

My weight loss has slowed since the first week, but it's still going down:

1/10: 360.4
1/17: 345.8
1/24: 342.0
1/31: 338.4

I'm planning to go to this adventure tower/ropes course in my hometown that has a 300-pound weight limit to celebrate when I'm under 300.  I'll probably wait until 290 or so, just to be sure that daily fluctuations, shoes, and a different scale won't accidentally put me over (if they actually weigh you, that is).

2/7: 332.6
2/14: 329.4
2/21: 327.2
2/28: 323.4
3/6: 318.4

Now down 42 pounds!!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1842 on: March 07, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »

I'm planning to go to this adventure tower/ropes course in my hometown that has a 300-pound weight limit to celebrate when I'm under 300.  I'll probably wait until 290 or so, just to be sure that daily fluctuations, shoes, and a different scale won't accidentally put me over (if they actually weigh you, that is).

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!
Whats your daily meal/calories at?
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1843 on: March 07, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »

Officially making plans to go back to counseling. It's not that I'm in an especially bad place right now, but I desperately need help motivating myself to do more than just sit around, write, and watch elections. It's very difficult for me to work, but that doesn't mean I have to act like a sentient potato with a face.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1844 on: March 07, 2020, 04:47:45 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2020, 04:50:51 PM by lfromnj »

Officially making plans to go back to counseling. It's not that I'm in an especially bad place right now, but I desperately need help motivating myself to do more than just sit around, write, and watch elections. It's very difficult for me to work, but that doesn't mean I have to act like a sentient potato with a face.

TAKE THE DRUGS+HIT THE GYM.

(note I wish you the best of luck)
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1845 on: March 07, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!

I'm not counting calories.  I'm doing Nutrisystem, where they send you the majority of your food, and give you guidelines about what to add to it.  I estimate that I am averaging about 1300 calories a day, sometimes a little more when I go off plan slightly.

But, with my height, weight, gender, and age, I lose weight a lot faster than others (burning 3000-4000 calories a day without significant exercise).  It wouldn't surprise me if I averaged eating 4000+ calories a day before starting this.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1846 on: March 07, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2020, 05:00:26 PM by lfromnj »

I'm planning to go to this adventure tower/ropes course in my hometown that has a 300-pound weight limit to celebrate when I'm under 300.  I'll probably wait until 290 or so, just to be sure that daily fluctuations, shoes, and a different scale won't accidentally put me over (if they actually weigh you, that is).

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!

I'm not counting calories.  I'm doing Nutrisystem, where they send you the majority of your food, and give you guidelines about what to add to it.  I estimate that I am averaging about 1300 calories a day, sometimes a little more when I go off plan slightly.

But, with my height, weight, gender, and age, I lose weight a lot faster than others (burning 3000-4000 calories a day without significant exercise).  It wouldn't surprise me if I averaged eating 4000+ calories a day before starting this.
How tall are you again?

Also exercise rarely burns calories at any significant level for 95% of the population, only athletes really burn it that much.  However still start exercise as I would try to avoid as you get skinnier is skinny fat as that happens with a sedentary lifestyle.
Even if you become skinner you are often losing regular healthy lean body mass along with your body fat. So you could go from 350 at 40% body fat or 140 lbs of body fat and then cut off like 70 lbs of body fat but also 70 lbs of lean body mass which still puts you at around 33% body fat
which while due to your lower weight isn't that bad anymore is still slightly unhealthy and doesn't look very nice.
Weightloss is just CICO which it looks like you are doing.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1847 on: March 07, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »

I'm planning to go to this adventure tower/ropes course in my hometown that has a 300-pound weight limit to celebrate when I'm under 300.  I'll probably wait until 290 or so, just to be sure that daily fluctuations, shoes, and a different scale won't accidentally put me over (if they actually weigh you, that is).

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!

How tall are you again?

Also exercise rarely burns calories at any significant level for 95% of the population, only athletes really burn it that much.  However still start exercise as I would try to avoid as you get skinnier is skinny fat as that happens with a sedentary lifestyle.

6'5".  With my body type, I have no real desire to get below 250 or so, so I'm a significant chunk of the way there.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1848 on: March 07, 2020, 05:25:45 PM »

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!

How tall are you again?

Also exercise rarely burns calories at any significant level for 95% of the population, only athletes really burn it that much.  However still start exercise as I would try to avoid as you get skinnier is skinny fat as that happens with a sedentary lifestyle.

6'5".  With my body type, I have no real desire to get below 250 or so, so I'm a significant chunk of the way there.
Gl in finishing it but dont forget to make more of that 250 lb muscle too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1849 on: March 07, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »

Now down 42 pounds!!

Wow good job!

How tall are you again?

Gl in finishing it but dont forget to make more of that 250 lb muscle too.

You misspelled "bro".
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies