Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:40:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 99
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 149518 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2018, 12:43:57 AM »

I am having a really bad ptsd-like feeling due to the Senate not flipping.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2018, 12:47:52 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2018, 12:57:17 AM by Dope and Diamonds »

For the midterms, I am really glad that Michigan and Missouri legalized weed tho. Libertarianism is winning. Next stop will be legalizing every drug, and forcing those old ass people in the government the hell out of any legislating "moral" issues and preventing the government from making us taxpayers pay to keep useless drug addicts alive in prison, or using our tax dollars to help other irresponsible and weak people who don't deserve saving, as well as finally ending the Ponzi scheme that is Social Security.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »

For the midterms, I am really glad that Michigan and Missouri legalized weed tho. Libertarianism is winning. Next stop will be legalizing every drug, and forcing those old ass people in the government the hell out of any legislating "moral" issues and preventing the government from making us taxpayers pay to keep useless drug addicts alive in prison, or using our tax dollars to help other irresponsible and weak people who don't deserve saving, as well as finally ending the Ponzi scheme that is Social Security.

Eventually, some big picture businessman will come to the conclusion that having a workforce saturated by drug abuse and addiction is--wait for it--bad for business and push for a "reform" movement to rid society of what he deems a menace. The drug issue will become especially acute when it even takes over bourgeois professions including engineers and analysts where some level of mental competence is required.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

Eventually, some big picture businessman will come to the conclusion that having a workforce saturated by drug abuse and addiction is--wait for it--bad for business and push for a "reform" movement to rid society of what he deems a menace. The drug issue will become especially acute when it even takes over bourgeois professions including engineers and analysts where some level of mental competence is required.

It won't though, because responsible people won't do that sh**t. I've never done hard drugs. The losers I was raised around did though. Why? Because they were weak and wanted to "escape" from the problems they themselves created and didn't want to dig themselves out of, and wanted to blame everyone else while for it.

I don't have sympathy for addicts. I was raised by them and around them. They don't deserve sympathy, and trusting that they won't abuse any help you try to provide is also a dumb move.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

It won't though, because responsible people won't do that sh**t. I've never done hard drugs. The losers I was raised around did though. Why? Because they were weak and wanted to "escape" from the problems they themselves created and didn't want to dig themselves out of, and wanted to blame everyone else while for it.

I don't have sympathy for addicts.

Who cares about sympathy when you don't even have a workforce?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

Would you do hard drugs just because they are legal? The reason I want to legalize them is because smart, reasonable, responsible people won't do them. Making them illegal just means we have to pay from our own money to keep the people who do them or sell them in prison instead of letting them die alone on the street like they would have anyway.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »

Would you do hard drugs just because they are legal? The reason I want to legalize them is because smart, reasonable, responsible people won't do them. Making them illegal just means we have to pay from our own money to keep the people who do them or sell them in prison instead of letting them die alone on the street like they would have anyway.

And how many of these folks do you think exist? Under the economic regime you aspire to, of course laborers and perhaps even the lower white collar professions would flee to substance abuse. You could get away with sky-high alcoholism in 1890's slums prior to the knowledge economy, but not now.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2018, 06:11:38 PM »

And how many of these folks do you think exist? Under the economic regime you aspire to, of course laborers and perhaps even the lower white collar professions would flee to substance abuse. You could get away with sky-high alcoholism in 1890's slums prior to the knowledge economy, but not now.

What do you mean "economic regime" because I just think everyone should have to figure out how to make money in a free market capitalist society. I did it, it's not hard.

Also, people don't "flee" to substance abuse like they're victims running from something that had nothing to do with them. They're running from their own issues, issues that they created most of the time.

No one helped me with my "issues" growing up, but I didn't resort to drug use. So I don't respect those who do.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »

Hillgoose you know you’re a sociopath right?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

What do you mean "economic regime" because I just think everyone should have to figure out how to make money in a free market capitalist society. I did it, it's not hard.

And if that results in lower wages, lower standards of living, less recreational or family time, more strained relationships, greater stress, etc., that will translate into higher levels of "harmless" deviance such as drug abuse and addiction.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will agree that, at the personal level, everyone should be willing to take responsibility for themselves. I learned this firsthand as regards fitness, health, etc. That said, people need to be in a situation to take stock of their lives, which they are not always able to do. That doesn't change the fact that there are broad social forces that have some effect on most humans. Suicide, crime, abortion, addiction all have their correlates in the social and economic spheres. Now, why should you care about this if you don't care about another living soul? Crime affects your ability to protect your property, sell your house, walk the streets. Drug addiction affects your ability to field a workforce to design, make, and sell your products. While we can always beef up the police to build a wall between the productive and the unproductive, a cycle of over-enforcement helps to create a permanent class of the unsociable--the very group of people that, in most cases, will never be able to turn their lives around. Legalize most drugs, sure, but if you plan to use it as some Darwinian social engineering scheme, it will backfire; the legalization of truly heinous narcotics will require the reinforcement of our mental health and addiction infrastructures in a way you would never be willing to fund. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hate is a drug too. I quit smoking. What of it?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:24 PM »

So in other words, you foresee a return of Rockefeller Republicanism?  Nelson Rockefeller was a major factor in there being a War on Drugs in the first place.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »

Hillgoose you know you’re a sociopath right?

Wrong. Sociopaths don't feel empathy. I feel empathy towards people who deserve it and haven't repeatedly violated my trust, taken advantage of me, and mistreated me. I am NOT a sociopath for not caring about the fate of those people, or for not wanting my tax dollars to help them survive so they can mistreat others.

Drug addicts need to grow the hell up and put their kids before their drug habit. I am NOT a sociopath for believing that, and people whose lives have been negatively impacted by these drug users are NOT sociopaths for not caring about the fate of these users, or not wanting them in their life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2018, 09:05:50 PM »

10 cities
4 countries
3 continents
7 time zones
4 weeks

I'm completely shattered.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »

I'm officially moving in a few weeks.  Since this is Atlas, I will share my new representatives:

Old:
US House: Jim Cooper (D)
TN House: Jason Powell (D) (re-elected 64-36 in 2018)
TN Senate: Steve Dickerson (R) (re-elected 56-44 in 2016, I kind of worry about what might have happened had it been up in 2018)

New:
US House: Mark Green (R) (well, Marsha Blackburn technically until January)
TN House: Majority Leader Glen Casada (R) (re-elected 68-32 in 2018)- probably the favorite to become Speaker in 1/2019 as Speaker Harwell retired
TN Senate: Jack Johnson (R) (re-elected 67-33 in 2018)

Election Results (2018 precinct results not yet available, so I will provide the primary results even though they were too favorable to Republicans statewide due to having a more competitive race):

Old:
2018 Primaries: 61% Democrat (GOP Primary was 42% Lee)
2016: 56-35 Clinton (although I was pretty much right on the border with an alternate precinct that was 52-48 Trump in the 2-party vote)
2012: 53-46 Obama (Romney easily cleared 60% in the neighboring district)

New:
2018 Primaries: 71% Republican (GOP Primary was 47% Lee)
2016: 62-32 Trump
2012: 74-25 Romney
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »

Thanks Atlas. Because of our merciless mockery of Bigfoot Erotica Man, I'm being slammed 24/7 with Bigfoot ads:

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »

Someone in my inner circle has been feeding my mother info about me. Needless to say, I'm not pleased.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

I wonder if Jack Handey envisioned President Donald Trump when he said “It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.” in his Deep Thoughts collection.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2018, 11:03:22 PM »

Someone in my inner circle has been feeding my mother info about me. Needless to say, I'm not pleased.
Time to assemble your own plumbers squad Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »

Looks like I got a date. Now to figure out a way to flub it.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2018, 11:36:26 PM »

Talk about bigfoot, that oughta do it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »

Or tell her that your voting for Trump because your brother’s on heroin. That did the trick for me once - Jesus what the hell was I thinking? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

Or tell her that your voting for Trump because your brother’s on heroin. That did the trick for me once - Jesus what the hell was I thinking? Tongue

Well, until further communication, this is all academic—despite prior agreement. Tongue The twenty-first century really is the worst.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #172 on: November 12, 2018, 09:59:25 PM »

Why?
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #173 on: November 12, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »

I really need to improve my grades and stay off Atlas. Time to become a man and an adult.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2018, 01:00:34 AM »

ask her what her favorite color is, that always worked for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies