The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:11:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 173917 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: January 20, 2019, 05:08:00 AM »

Harris *might* launch her campaign (or exploratory committee) at a rally in Oakland on Monday:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/426163-bernie-sanders-to-visit-south-carolina-amid-2020-speculation

You must be logged in to read this quote.

She is definitely running. It's beyond obvious at this point.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1151 on: January 20, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »

It'll be hard to support Brown in a primary until he stops being to Gillibrand's right on an issue as fundamental as healthcare.

In a statement, Brown, D-Ohio, said he has “always been supportive of Medicare for all.” But he said “right now, I’m focused on building bipartisan support for my bill to allow people to buy into the Medicare program at age 55, which will cut costs and expand choices for Ohioans.
That isn't good enough. Not even close.

He's ceding ground on a popular policy position to the GOP already, for no reason. I imagine by the time he gets into office, he'll be promoting "Medicare for All, over 65."

How is it that someone can become a United States Senator, and not know how to negotiate? What the hell does he lose in a campaign for calling for Medicare for All right now? Even the neolib candidates support it!

The kid I graduated with who's running a GoFundMe for both of his cancer-stricken parents can't wait for a goddamn "bipartisan solution." He needs action, now. He needs someone on his side now. Apparently, Sherrod isn't.

I will not be supporting a candidate who does not explicitly support Medicare for All during their campaign. A shame to add Sherrod Brown to that list.

He's "ceding" the position because M4A has no chance of making it to the current senate floor, unlike a Medicare eligibility expansion bill. You seem to think that Brown is implying that we don't need M4A, and that he would settle for just a Medicare eligibility expansion, when that is clearly not what he is saying.

And he doesn't need to "call" for Medicare for all, due to him already supporting it, and even saying he supports it in the quote in my last post. Seeing how he has a better M4A record then most prospective candidates, I think it's safe to say he'll be an "explicit" supporter of M4A during the campiagn.

This
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #1152 on: January 20, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »

It'll be hard to support Brown in a primary until he stops being to Gillibrand's right on an issue as fundamental as healthcare.

In a statement, Brown, D-Ohio, said he has “always been supportive of Medicare for all.” But he said “right now, I’m focused on building bipartisan support for my bill to allow people to buy into the Medicare program at age 55, which will cut costs and expand choices for Ohioans.
That isn't good enough. Not even close.

He's ceding ground on a popular policy position to the GOP already, for no reason. I imagine by the time he gets into office, he'll be promoting "Medicare for All, over 65."

How is it that someone can become a United States Senator, and not know how to negotiate? What the hell does he lose in a campaign for calling for Medicare for All right now? Even the neolib candidates support it!

The kid I graduated with who's running a GoFundMe for both of his cancer-stricken parents can't wait for a goddamn "bipartisan solution." He needs action, now. He needs someone on his side now. Apparently, Sherrod isn't.

I will not be supporting a candidate who does not explicitly support Medicare for All during their campaign. A shame to add Sherrod Brown to that list.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but if that is the case, he will get nothing. Brown is wise enough to focus his message on what is achievable, which is why I respect him a lot more than other progressively-inclined politicians who are content to be firebrands without substance.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1153 on: January 20, 2019, 02:54:39 PM »

I wouldn't put too much stock in Brown's wisdom if he's actually serious about running for the nomination.  If he were to make it onto the national ticket, Democrats would almost certainly lose his Senate seat permanently, making it immensely harder for Democrats to retake control of the Senate.  That means no M4A or any other progressive legislation gets through for the forseeable future.  If he's serious about advancing progressive goals, he'll stick to the Senate.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1154 on: January 20, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »

tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #1155 on: January 20, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »

any extra buzz to make us think this is the moment?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1156 on: January 20, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »

According to the 2020 Democratic primary Wikipedia article she is supposed to announce today
History505
« Reply #1157 on: January 20, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »

According to the 2020 Democratic primary Wikipedia article she is supposed to announce today
It says Jan 21st actually.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1158 on: January 20, 2019, 06:59:53 PM »

RIP Democrats' hopes in 2020
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1159 on: January 20, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »

My bad, I had confused her with Gabbard. Which doesn't even make sense, because Gabbard has already announced her candidacy
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1160 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

My bad, I had confused her with Gabbard. Which doesn't even make sense, because Gabbard has already announced her candidacy

I assume they meant for Gabbard to "formally" announce her candidacy or whatever.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1161 on: January 20, 2019, 08:33:22 PM »

Isn't Harris most likely to announce tomorrow?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1162 on: January 20, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »

Stealing the thunder from Beto and Oprah.

This primary is going to be exciting.
Joey1996

« Reply #1163 on: January 20, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »

I will be really annoyed if she announces that she'll an start exploratory committee rather than announce her candidacy
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1164 on: January 21, 2019, 12:29:18 AM »

I don't understand why you guys are talking about "what Wikipedia says" re: Harris, as if Wikipedia is an independent news source of some kind.  All Wikipedia does is aggregate what actual sources of news are saying.  To know if you should believe it or not, just go to the references they're citing to see what the actual source of the news is.  In this case, it takes you to this story:

https://kcbsradio.radio.com/blogs/doug-sovern/harris-ready-enter-race-president-sources-say

which says:

And this isn't new.  That story is from a week and a half ago, and was posted here at the time.  Plus there's this story from yesterday:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=303677.msg6632667#msg6632667

That's what we have to work with, atm.  We don't know anything more than that.

Except....if she's going to be in Times Square for GMA tomorrow, then how is she also going to be in Oakland?  Is she flying across the country tomorrow, and the Oakland event will be held late in the day?  Is there any recent news regarding what the Oakland event actually is, or if it's going to happen?  I haven't seen anything.
History505
« Reply #1165 on: January 21, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »

I don't understand why you guys are talking about "what Wikipedia says" re: Harris, as if Wikipedia is an independent news source of some kind.  All Wikipedia does is aggregate what actual sources of news are saying.  To know if you should believe it or not, just go to the references they're citing to see what the actual source of the news is.  In this case, it takes you to this story:

https://kcbsradio.radio.com/blogs/doug-sovern/harris-ready-enter-race-president-sources-say

which says:

And this isn't new.  That story is from a week and a half ago, and was posted here at the time.  Plus there's this story from yesterday:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=303677.msg6632667#msg6632667

That's what we have to work with, atm.  We don't know anything more than that.

Except....if she's going to be in Times Square for GMA tomorrow, then how is she also going to be in Oakland?  Is she flying across the country tomorrow, and the Oakland event will be held late in the day?  Is there any recent news regarding what the Oakland event actually is, or if it's going to happen?  I haven't seen anything.

Oakland event happening on Sunday, confirmed now with her announcement.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1166 on: January 21, 2019, 08:12:09 AM »

Harris is running and gross lefties are already spreading about her investing in private prisons. Bernie people really do wanna have Trump win a second term huh?

Now i know how bad Beto fans must feel. I know I was VERY suspicious of him but now not so much. I mean Kamala is my first choice but Beto is now my second choice due to how horrible ☭ twitter lied about him.
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #1167 on: January 21, 2019, 09:29:30 AM »

Harris is running and gross lefties are already spreading about her investing in private prisons. Bernie people really do wanna have Trump win a second term huh?

Now i know how bad Beto fans must feel. I know I was VERY suspicious of him but now not so much. I mean Kamala is my first choice but Beto is now my second choice due to how horrible ☭ twitter lied about him.
How dare people criticize candidates who did bad things?
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1168 on: January 21, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »

A primary where all candidates are subject to valid scrutiny will end up with a much better contender for the presidency than one where the party has already made up their mind on the person they want, just see the last election. Also, don't pay so much attention to Twitter, that's not where the election will be decided.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1169 on: January 21, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

Bloomberg announcement “within a month”:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/21/michael-bloomberg-2020-election-1116071

Swalwell in South Carolina: “I am getting close to deciding”:

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190119/possible-2020-presidential-candidate-eric-swalwell-headlines-spartanburg-democrats-gala

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1170 on: January 21, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »

How dare people criticize candidates who did bad things?
So much this. No one is safe from criticism, and the whole point of the primary is to air these disputes and to let the voters decide. Stop acting like every revelation will lead to a Trump victory.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1171 on: January 21, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

Landrieu will be a visiting fellow at Harvard this semester, still says that he's "not planning to run":

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/article_aed361be-1d14-11e9-89aa-631b5dd95254.html
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1172 on: January 21, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »

So much this. No one is safe from criticism, and the whole point of the primary is to air these disputes and to let the voters decide. Stop acting like every revelation will lead to a Trump victory.
Everytime someone has a valid criticism about Bernie we are told that that's not what he meant, we didn't see what we saw, we heard it wrong, or we have Bernie Derangement Syndrome....
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1173 on: January 21, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

Everytime someone has a valid criticism about Bernie we are told that that's not what he meant, we didn't see what we saw, we heard it wrong, or we have Bernie Derangement Syndrome....

Oh Please, if one were to actually watch the 2016 primary unfold, one would see that many stances Sanders had, such as on guns, were heavily criticized. Saying he was treated like someone special is pure historical revisionism.

Seriously, no one is safe from criticism, not Sanders, not Harris, not Beto, and not Biden. Thats literally the whole point of holding a primary.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #1174 on: January 21, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »

I think the difference between a lot of the Sanders critics and his supporters who criticize literally everyone else is that the former would do the responsible thing and vote for him in the general if it came to that whereas the latter group has proven to be irresponsible, self-righteous, and destructive when not given everything it wants.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies