The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 09:13:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74
Author Topic: The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII  (Read 169259 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: May 04, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »

Joe Biden - His past opposition to busing

Pete Buttigieg - He took a meeting with Al Sharpton

Kamala Harris - I get the distinct sense that she has no genuine ideological beliefs and will say anything to get a vote, even compared to the average Presidential candidate

Beto O'Rourke - What little I've seen about his foreign policy views has been very troubling

Elizabeth Warren - The whole DNA test thing showed horrible judgement

Bernie Sanders - He's been actively pandering to many of the worst people and groups within the Democratic Party (aside from the corporatists and the anti-vaxxers whom he admittedly doesn't pander to) such as the anti-Semitic left, the "teh Evulz neo-LIEburals framed Trump and Putin" crowd, the misogynists within the Democratic Party, whacktivists who care more about personality cults than they do about policy, the isolationists, and people who believe we should throw minorities under the bus because talking about social issues might upset Trump's base.  There's admittedly a lot to like about Sanders...which makes all the really bad stuff about him that much more disappointing (and frustrating).

Cory Booker: His egomania really gets on my nerves.  

I'm not a fan of Joe anymore due to recent comments, but are you really gonna damn a guy for votes he made almost 50 years ago - literally a lifetime ago?

I mean, Jimmy Carter made a deal with the devil when running for Governor and pandered to racists. We know Jimmy Carter wasn't himself a racist. Sometimes you gotta make a deal with the devil to get a just end. And again, Joe's comments were longer ago than most of the people on this board have been alive.

And sometimes when you shake hands with the devil, you end up on the wrong side of history.  Joe Biden had a chance to be a leader and instead he threw African-Americans under the bus, so to speak, because he felt he needed racists votes more, so spare me the lecture.

I've never bought into the "wrong side of history" argument. Joe Biden did what he had to to be elected, same with any politician. You don't damn someone for a mistake they made a lifetime ago.

How is this absurd and ignorant, busing was not particularly popular among the general public, and it would be political suicide for a southern politician to support it. If Biden was from New York or California or Illinois, this is a much more valid argument. But for this argument of votes 50 years ago, Robert Byrd was literally a Klansman in his past, yet Democrats are overjoyed that he provided the crucial 60th vote on Obamacare, remove him, and there is no Obamacare. So, this is not really absurd and ignorant.

The idea that people running for the highest office in the land should automatically given a pass for doing horrible things just because they happened a long time ago is absurd and ignorant.

Biden's record on busing isn't a "horrible" thing.  The massive busing to achieve court-prescribed racial balances was a poor policy to which there were many legitimate objections to.  

Joe Biden was elected at age 29 in 1972 as one of a wave of anti-Vietnam War liberals that were elected, even as McGovern was being trounced.  The idea that he was a segregationist or a conservative Dixiecrat type is silly beyond words.  

As for Anita Hill:  Not everyone believes she's honest, and people who come out of nowhere to torpedo nominations should be received with appropriate skepticism.  

- I don’t think Biden personally has a racist bone in his body, but I think he’s proven quite willing to pander to them in the past when it suited him...which is even worse than if he were a true believer.  Is what Biden did in-and-of-itself an automatic deal breaker?  No, but it does give me very serious pause and it’s the thing I personally like least about him.  And he said some stuff that I have a real problem with such as when he called state-mandated school desegregation “[T]he most racist concept you can come up with” and when he said about busing “And I’ll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.”  

- It’s demonstrably false that Biden couldn’t have won if he supported busing.  How do I know?  Because he ran as a pro-busing candidate when he first got elected to the Senate, upsetting the incumbent.  It was only once he was in the Senate and truly realized just how unpopular busing was among white voters that he flip-flopped on the issue.  That’s not leadership, it’s cowardice and I expect better from someone running for the highest office in the land.  And while there are legitimate criticisms that can be made regarding busing, the vast majority of the opposition was simply because racist whites didn’t want their kids going to school with African-American kids.

- My interpretation of Higgins’ post was that he was saying if someone did something bad in the 70s then we should automatically give them a pass on it today, regardless of what they did.  I find that idea kinda absurd when we’re talking about people running for President.  Does that mean we shouldn’t consider the person’s overall record?  Of course not, but things don’t cease to be relevant criticisms of Presidential candidates just because they happened a long time ago.  That’s why I put Higgins’ post in this thread.

- I’m not really sure what Anita Hill has to do with this subject Tongue

Anita Hill is one of the issues that makes Biden an HP in the eyes of some liberals here.

I mean, it was definitely not one of his better moments (to say the least), but the thread was asking what we disliked most about candidates and for me, as bad as Biden’s plagerism, handling of the Anita Hill hearings, consistently poor judgement on foreign policy, etc bother me, if I had to pick what I like least about him it’s how he enthusiastically pandered to racists on busing even when he clearly knew better.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #801 on: May 05, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »

I propose renaming this thread

I voted "tilt R" and as of right now appear to be the only one who thinks MO is anything but "likely R" or "safe R." Obama/Biden overperformed in MO in 2008, nearly winning the state, and MO remains one of the midwestern red states where Democrats have been able to win national office in certain circumstances (Governor Jay Nixon, Senator Claire MCCaskill). "Tilt R" suggests Trump is favored, but whether the Democratic candidate is Biden or Sanders, I do not expect it to be a landslide for Trump.

Not realizing that this no longer 2000 or 2004 (was only a swing state in 2008, due to massive Democratic wave) (sigh) Roll Eyes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #802 on: May 06, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »

"Dangerous", say the ones censoring free speech. This is absolutely unconstitutional.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #803 on: May 06, 2019, 09:34:15 PM »

We're going to have two far-right wingers in the general. Wonderful.

This calls Biden a far right winger, I would like to know what are Susan Collins and Joe Manchin, then
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #804 on: May 07, 2019, 05:46:46 PM »

Screw Sansa. If she ends up on the throne or ends up living while Dany dies, I'm gonna be pissed. She'd be dead if it weren't for Daenerys.

If it wasn't for Daenerys, the White Walkers never would have gotten a zombie dragon, and they'd still be stuck north of the Wall, no?  I think Sansa would still be alive in that case.

At the very least Jon and all his allies would be dead. I just hate Sansa for being a world class bitch more than anything. Everyone treats her as if she has every right to be a b!tch because of Ramsey. No. If anything that was karma for the direwolf.

Remember kids, if you get put in an impossible lose-lose situation as a 13 year-old and inadvertently get a dog killed because you arguably made the wrong judgement call, then you deserve to be raped and beaten by a serial killer Roll Eyes

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #805 on: May 07, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »

Screw Sansa. If she ends up on the throne or ends up living while Dany dies, I'm gonna be pissed. She'd be dead if it weren't for Daenerys.

If it wasn't for Daenerys, the White Walkers never would have gotten a zombie dragon, and they'd still be stuck north of the Wall, no?  I think Sansa would still be alive in that case.

At the very least Jon and all his allies would be dead. I just hate Sansa for being a world class bitch more than anything. Everyone treats her as if she has every right to be a b!tch because of Ramsey. No. If anything that was karma for the direwolf.

Remember kids, if you get put in an impossible lose-lose situation as a 13 year-old and inadvertently get a dog killed because you arguably made the wrong judgement call, then you deserve to be raped and beaten by a serial killer Roll Eyes

Holy sh**t, those posts might be literally the worst ASOIAF/GOT take I've ever seen.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #806 on: May 07, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »

If it wasn't for Daenerys, the White Walkers never would have gotten a zombie dragon, and they'd still be stuck north of the Wall, no?  I think Sansa would still be alive in that case.

Wait a moment? Is this a real life dog & human killed or was this contained within the Game of Thrones fiction?
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #807 on: May 08, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »

But muh-incumbency

Muh-elastic south

JBE will follow the path of Mary Landrieu, be competitive up until the jungle primary and then have nearly all the undecideds break against him during the runoff

56-44 Abraham over Edwards in Runoff (FLIP)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #808 on: May 08, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »

He's right. It doesn't matter what kind of education or experience anybody has when it comes to speaking the truth. Anybody, no matter who they are, are capable or lying and spreading fraudulent information.

need to go to the thread for context
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #809 on: May 08, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »

But muh-incumbency

Muh-elastic south

JBE will follow the path of Mary Landrieu, be competitive up until the jungle primary and then have nearly all the undecideds break against him during the runoff

More reasonable than Joni Ernst losing Tongue
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: May 08, 2019, 01:36:53 PM »

But muh-incumbency

Muh-elastic south

More reasonable than Joni Ernst losing Tongue

A 12 point loss at this point is a hot take but its not that unreasonable.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #811 on: May 08, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »

lol, hope it’s a pic of Falwell with a boy so he can join the list of religious republicans whose careers ended in a sex scandal.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #812 on: May 08, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »

Mass genocide of rural/suburban whites in California, Illinois, New York, and Massachusetts. Ridiculous even to imagine, though-- this won't happen until 2022, maybe even 2024 at the latest.

Well, we now have white genocide truthers on here.

Any bets as to how many days it takes for this to become a mainstream position on the Atlas Right? I'm going to put my first guess at five.

Ok, that was pretty obviously a jab at how far left California is, and not meant to be taken at all seriously.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #813 on: May 08, 2019, 02:59:10 PM »

Bicycles are for children and teenagers too young for a license, and their use by well-off adults as a primary means of transportation is a sign of softness and social decay. This applies to the general decline in driving as well.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #814 on: May 08, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »

Thread: 11 year old rape victim forced to carry to term thanks to Ohio law.

Or: innocent child allowed to live their life thanks to Ohio law.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #815 on: May 08, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »

Yeah, that was a really bad one.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #816 on: May 08, 2019, 05:51:16 PM »

That's a good post.  The solution to rape cannot be murdering an innocent third party.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #817 on: May 08, 2019, 06:28:10 PM »

That's a good post.  The solution to rape cannot be murdering an innocent third party.

Well, you're ideologically consistent, at the very least.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #818 on: May 08, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

Do you not support abortions in instances of rape. I did not think it was possible to be that much of an extremist
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #819 on: May 08, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »

Do you not support abortions in instances of rape. I did not think it was possible to be that much of an extremist

Not everywhere is New Jersey.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #820 on: May 08, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »

I'm not OP, but I support completely banning abortion in all cases, with no exceptions whatsoever.

What if the mother's life is in danger?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #821 on: May 08, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »

I'm not OP, but I support completely banning abortion in all cases, with no exceptions whatsoever.

ExtremeConservative has said that he believes that is never the case when taking into consideration modern medical capabilities, and therefore, should not be a valid reason for abortion.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #822 on: May 08, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »

ExtremeConservative's views are the most abhorrent on this entire website.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #823 on: May 08, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »

ExtremeConservative has said that he believes that is never the case when taking into consideration modern medical capabilities, and therefore, should not be a valid reason for abortion.

I hold the same views on that issue.

So does me wanting a ban on abortion with the exceptions of allowing it in cases of rape, incest, and danger of the life of the mother, make me a moderate an abortion?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #824 on: May 08, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

From a strict constitutionalist standpoint, a fetus has by definition not been "born in the United States," and therefore isn't entitled to the rights of an American citizen.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies