Do you support restrictions on when alcohol can be sold?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 05:54:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you support restrictions on when alcohol can be sold?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: as in days of the week/time fo day, etc.
Yes, alcohol should not be sold on Sunday mornings

Yes, I support some other restriction different from Option 1

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Do you support restrictions on when alcohol can be sold?  (Read 5800 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:22 AM »

Aside from the obvious point that angus brought up, that Christianity is actually very pro-alcohol (one reason I can never be a Christian, I think drinking wine in church is deeply offensive)

This joke doesn't work that well outside a U.K context, but I like it anyway:

"A man ran through a crowded train looking very agitated, calling out, "Is there a Catholic priest on board?"

When he got no reply, he ran back up the train shouting, "Is there an Anglican priest on board?" Still no reply.

By now becoming more desparate, he ran down the train shouting, "Is there a Rabbi on board?"

Eventually, a gentleman stood up and said, "Can I be of any assistance, my friend? I'm a Methodist minister."

The man looked at him and said, "No, you're no bloody good. I need a corkscrew!"

Smiley Tongue Cheesy
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2005, 05:25:03 PM »

This joke doesn't work that well outside a U.K context, but I like it anyway:

"A man ran through a crowded train looking very agitated, calling out, "Is there a Catholic priest on board?"

When he got no reply, he ran back up the train shouting, "Is there an Anglican priest on board?" Still no reply.

By now becoming more desparate, he ran down the train shouting, "Is there a Rabbi on board?"

Eventually, a gentleman stood up and said, "Can I be of any assistance, my friend? I'm a Methodist minister."

The man looked at him and said, "No, you're no bloody good. I need a corkscrew!"

works well enough.  seems you have a tacky sense of humor after all.  good show.

It's also good to know you're not the sort of leftist that would protest the Notre Dame mascot for perpetuating negative stereotypes.  Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2005, 10:31:59 PM »

I sense two lines of debate on this thread. I'll chime in on both.

One line of debate is constitutional. This is not a First Amendment issue, or anything else so early in the nation's history. This is an issue of the 21st Amendment that repelaed prohibition, specifically the 2nd section:

2. The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited.

This part expressly gives all control or liquor to the individual states. One may not like the effect of different laws in NH compared to MA, but those differences are very much part of the Constitution.

Given the full authority of the states, one can go to the other lne of debate about how those states have implemented the laws. Other than those states that chose to make retail liquor sales a state monopoly, most staes grant a great deal of local control. Retail functions are generally a matter of local zoning and that includes hours of operation, so why not liquor, too.

There is a public good served by controlling hours of operation for liquor since late night consumption of alcohol may result in the need for additional law enforcement and EMS service. That decision is best left to local authorities, who can weigh the public desire for better service hours against the public costs to the community.

The Constitarian
Rookie

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

If they pass a law that says we must pray every day or be arrested, is it not unconstitutional because it doesn't say why according to your reasoning?
Prayer is a religious activity, and may not be regulated by the government. Buying alcohol on a Sunday is not a religious activity.

not working on sunday is a religious activity, there is no other feesable reason to choose that day, and no constitutional reason to choose any day.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2005, 09:29:40 PM »

Most of them couldn't care less what day they get off.

haven't met many football fans have you?

No, that's not really it as college is just as big.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2005, 06:20:41 PM »

not working on sunday is a religious activity, there is no other feesable reason to choose that day, and no constitutional reason to choose any day.
As I said, the Constitution does not require states to have reasons for their laws. Just because a law is irrational, arbitrary, or stupid, it does not follow that it is unconstitutional.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies