Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:19:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?  (Read 3816 times)
Greatest I am
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2018, 06:45:20 AM »

Adam thought so. He instantly and without argument or hesitation ate of that knowledge when Eve offered love to Adam.

Without Satan causing Original Sin, mankind could no know of love or hate as love and hate are subject to being good or evil.

Would you do as Adam did?

Was Satan right in opening our eyes to love and hate?

Should we venerate Satan more than Yahweh who tried to deny mankind love?

Regards
DL
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »

Even if you take the myth of Eden literally, God was hoping to spare man the terror that would be felt once we understood in full what good and evil are. Clearly Adam and Eve wished they could have uneaten the pomegranate. Alas, we were stuck with our seeds of knowledge.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »

When this was on the front page, it said "Satan gave man love" and I assumed it would be "Satan gave man love-handles".
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:28:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure love existed in the garden.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »

Even if you take the myth of Eden literally, God was hoping to spare man the terror that would be felt once we understood in full what good and evil are. Clearly Adam and Eve wished they could have uneaten the pomegranate. Alas, we were stuck with our seeds of knowledge.

Yours is a strange view to me.

You are familiar with what is good and what is evil, to some extent, I am sure.

Are you living in terror? Would you give up your moral sense to live in less terror by basically have no moral sense and not knowing if you are living a good or evil life?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 09:22:11 AM »

If it did, A & E would not have known of it and without a moral sense, they would not known that love was any better than hate.

There eyes were opened to know love was good. Would you pass up that knowledge and not know that love was better than hate?

Regards
DL
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »

Are you living in terror? Would you give up your moral sense to live in less terror by basically have no moral sense and not knowing if you are living a good or evil life?

We've gotten used to the concept that others can do things that are good for them that will cause us evil, so we're not nearly as terrorized by it as we once were.  We've also developed a society in which people by and large seek to find win-win solutions rather than win-lose ones.

Still, if one defines good solely in terms of happiness, then clearly uneating the pomegranate would be a positive development because we wouldn't be worrying about the evil others might do to us. However, besides being an impossibility, it also would change us into something other than human.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »

We've gotten used to the concept that others can do things that are good for them that will cause us evil, so we're not nearly as terrorized by it as we once were.  We've also developed a society in which people by and large seek to find win-win solutions rather than win-lose ones.

Still, if one defines good solely in terms of happiness, then clearly uneating the pomegranate would be a positive development because we wouldn't be worrying about the evil others might do to us. However, besides being an impossibility, it also would change us into something other than human.

We cannot help but worry. The moment we create a bias to what we think is good and needs care, we automatically create a hate bias against what would threaten our love bias.

Love created hate automatically. Love your hate bias as it means you have a love bias that rules.

Love the fact that you can hate. It means you know love.

Regards
DL
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »

The eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil brought awareness of nakedness, which means vulnerability and shame. There is a certain kind of love that this awareness makes possible, that can facilitate redemption within the brokenness and suffering where it arose. But human love itself precedes all of this, and existed within the first meeting of Adam & Eve, when one became two.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »

The eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil brought awareness of nakedness, which means vulnerability and shame. There is a certain kind of love that this awareness makes possible, that can facilitate redemption within the brokenness and suffering where it arose. But human love itself precedes all of this, and existed within the first meeting of Adam & Eve, when one became two.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Christians and their stupid rib woman.

Please see this O.P. and opine on your supernatural and foolish beliefs.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=301901.0

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

Actually, "rib" is a metaphor for Adam's non-existent baculum.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »

If it did, A & E would not have known of it and without a moral sense, they would not known that love was any better than hate.

There eyes were opened to know love was good. Would you pass up that knowledge and not know that love was better than hate?

Regards
DL

If we look at animals, they don't know good or evil, but they still seem to have a conception of love. Animals of many different species develop emotional attachments, seeking out those they love and confronting or avoiding those they don't. As such, it is evident that they understand that love is better than hate. The implicit claim on your part that we must be able to identify love as good and hate as evil in order to appreciate love does not hold up to scrutiny.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 05:16:07 PM »

Regards
DL

If we look at animals, they don't know good or evil, but they still seem to have a conception of love. Animals of many different species develop emotional attachments, seeking out those they love and confronting or avoiding those they don't. As such, it is evident that they understand that love is better than hate. The implicit claim on your part that we must be able to identify love as good and hate as evil in order to appreciate love does not hold up to scrutiny.

Firstly, comparing us to lower animals is not a good analogy.

Second. You say they know love but not hate yet I would not say they do not know hate. They know they would hate to be eaten by a predator and that is why they run from them.

Regards
DL
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 12:49:47 PM »

Regards
DL

Second. You say they know love but not hate yet I would not say they do not know hate. They know they would hate to be eaten by a predator and that is why they run from them.

Regards
DL

I am comparing us to animals that do not know good or evil. Unless you suppose that pre-Fall humans were somehow lesser than wild beasts or that these animals gained knowledge of good and evil (neither of which is supported anywhere), it makes little sense that these beasts would know love and yet pre-Fall humans would not.

I didn't mention the subject of hate, principally because I don't know how much animals actually hate in the sense that we do and how much they just rationally fear predators or competitors. Whether they do or don't is actually irrelevant, because animals do indicate a strong preference for love without knowing that it is good.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

I am comparing us to animals that do not know good or evil. Unless you suppose that pre-Fall humans were somehow lesser than wild beasts or that these animals gained knowledge of good and evil (neither of which is supported anywhere), it makes little sense that these beasts would know love and yet pre-Fall humans would not.

I didn't mention the subject of hate, principally because I don't know how much animals actually hate in the sense that we do and how much they just rationally fear predators or competitors. Whether they do or don't is actually irrelevant, because animals do indicate a strong preference for love without knowing that it is good.

I would say that the lower animals start with about the same instincts that we do. All creatures including us evolve and that means that we all cooperate or compete at all times.

The only difference is that humans are smarter and can express our instincts better than the animals. If you have seen the chimp and elephant experiments where they show various emotions just as we do, you might agree.

This link show human instinct at work and that same selfish gene that pushes us to do what we call good, via cooperation, is the same general rule for all animal life, as it is the best way to insure survival.

It shows how we created a hate bias at the same time as our love bias. You do so as well.

You will automatically hate whatever might threaten what you have created as love bias for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIb22-5Lwg

We default to good and love which explains why the world is doing so well.

Regards
DL

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »

Humans have highly evolved frontal lobes that block instincts and emotions.  They allow us to plan things and think abstractly.  This development would have helped us to ponder right and wrong with a basis in instincts and emotions attached to certain actions.  Furthermore we have language to express those thoughts and feelings.

There was no magical moment when Satan fed us a fruit and we had some great awakening.  And it is better to interpret the Garden of Eden as just a state of mind.  You love certain things and you hate others... but you do not question or block those feelings.

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »

Humans have highly evolved frontal lobes that block instincts and emotions.  They allow us to plan things and think abstractly.  This development would have helped us to ponder right and wrong with a basis in instincts and emotions attached to certain actions.  Furthermore we have language to express those thoughts and feelings.

There was no magical moment when Satan fed us a fruit and we had some great awakening.  And it is better to interpret the Garden of Eden as just a state of mind.  You love certain things and you hate others... but you do not question or block those feelings.

You contradict yourself by saying we block instincts and then say we use them.

If you do not question your biases, then you are idol worshiping them and that is not considered good.

Regards
DL
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »

Yes.  The frontal lobes are are where the idea of the self come from.  The ability to separate yourself from your reality comes from that area.  It allows you to block emotions and instincts consciously so you can make potentially more beneficial decisions in what would otherwise be overwhelming circumstances.

Before eating the fruit, we presumably lacked all of this.  We just did what we were told by instincts and emotions and knew no better.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 10:54:41 AM »

Yes.  The frontal lobes are are where the idea of the self come from.  The ability to separate yourself from your reality comes from that area.  It allows you to block emotions and instincts consciously so you can make potentially more beneficial decisions in what would otherwise be overwhelming circumstances.

Before eating the fruit, we presumably lacked all of this.  We just did what we were told by instincts and emotions and knew no better.

As the myth goes, we knew enough to do as we instinctively do as we grow up. Seek knowledge.

I doubt that we can know for a certainty just where in our brains our selfish gene expresses itself.

I think out two hemisphere are involved in informing our frontal lobe. That opinion is based on this type of expert presentation. If you have something to put against it I will be happy to give it a listen.

https://www.ted.com/talks/iain_mcgilchrist_the_divided_brain

Regards
DL

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »

regarding the titular claim, cite your sources.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »

Say again showing the claim.

Regards
DL
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »

Say again showing the claim.

Regards
DL

"Satan gave man love."
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »

The knowledge of love and hate was in the tree of knowledge of all things.

A & E could not know of those until after they consumed the knowledge that god wanted to deny them and that the talking serpent/Satan encouraged A & E to ignore, which they did.

Satan thus gave A & E the knowledge of love that god wanted to deny them.

It is a simple to follow logic trail.

Regards
DL

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 02:06:43 PM »

A & E could not know of those until after they consumed the knowledge that god wanted to deny them and that the talking serpent/Satan encouraged A & E to ignore, which they did.

Regards
DL

Cite your sources. The tree is Representative of knowledge of "Good and Evil" not "Love and Hate"
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:47 PM »

Regards
DL

Cite your sources. The tree is Representative of knowledge of "Good and Evil" not "Love and Hate"

My best source of information is you. You are intelligent.

Love  and hate both have good and evil attributes. Hate can be misapplied just as love can be. It follows that A & E could not have known of those.

The tree of knowledge is a tree of all knowledge as all knowable things are subject to being good or evil or both.

As my source, if you have something that goes against that truth, show it.

Regards
DL
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies