Georgia school reinstating paddling to punish students
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:46:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Georgia school reinstating paddling to punish students
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Georgia school reinstating paddling to punish students  (Read 4309 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »

Cool, state sponsored child abuse!
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »

To the degree that corporal punishment might be useful, this ain't it. It needs to be administered close in time to the infraction for an association with the behavior one wants to provide negative reinforcement to be established. It also is only potentially useful for the very young. There's no point in having it as an option past 3rd or 4th grade, and it would need to be implemented in the classroom itself. I also think it should only be used to discourage behaviors that potentially could harm the child. Paddling for giving a teacher sass or being late to class or texting a friend in class or similar activities is not acceptable.

If you want to teach children that it's ok to use violence to solve your problems then I guess it's aces.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »

lol America. What a joke country.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »

No one should spank a child, Jesus atlas.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 10:16:42 AM »

To the degree that corporal punishment might be useful, this ain't it. It needs to be administered close in time to the infraction for an association with the behavior one wants to provide negative reinforcement to be established. It also is only potentially useful for the very young. There's no point in having it as an option past 3rd or 4th grade, and it would need to be implemented in the classroom itself. I also think it should only be used to discourage behaviors that potentially could harm the child. Paddling for giving a teacher sass or being late to class or texting a friend in class or similar activities is not acceptable.

If you want to teach children that it's ok to use violence to solve your problems then I guess it's aces.

When done to teach a young kid not to do something else with a greater risk of harm, yes. It certainly shouldn't be an option for routine discipline.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »

When done to teach a young kid not to do something else with a greater risk of harm, yes. It certainly shouldn't be an option for routine discipline.

I've got three kid and I've gotten by just fine without beating any of them.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »

Somewhat relevant. Corporal punishment isn't uncommon, at least in terms of being on the books, in the South - and not so in GA, either (at least geographically; save for metro areas and along the coast). However, in practice, the vast majority of corporal punishment instances recorded during the 2 years this was made was on either disabled children, children of color, or both.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »

I've got three kid and I've gotten by just fine without beating any of them.

Good. That should be the goal. I just don't think it should be an absolute prohibition.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »

Somewhat relevant. Corporal punishment isn't uncommon, at least in terms of being on the books, in the South - and not so in GA, either (at least geographically; save for metro areas and along the coast). However, in practice, the vast majority of corporal punishment instances recorded during the 2 years this was made was on either disabled children, children of color, or both.

Why is it literally always the South we have to drag kicking and screaming into the 21st century? I mean really, has the South /EVER/ had a cause that is succeeded in convincing the rest of the nation was the correct way of doing things?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »

Why is it literally always the South we have to drag kicking and screaming into the 21st century? I mean really, has the South /EVER/ had a cause that is succeeded in convincing the rest of the nation was the correct way of doing things?

Free public college tuition?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 06:59:04 PM »

Can we paddle the oversensitive conservatives that are complaining about Nike ads? They're the real pussies that need to be taught how to deal with things they don't like.

In all seriousness, corporal punishment like this from parents or other authority figures has been proven to not work! This obsession with physically harming children to help them behave better is completely misinformed and harmful.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »

This school is K-9.  By 9th grade if a grown man had threatened to paddle me, I would've grabbed the paddle out of his hand and paddled him across the face as hard as I could with it.  Make him afraid it would happen every time he tried to paddle a student.

Then let the debate play out:  Should we throw a child in juvie for paddling the principal who was going to paddle him?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »

I little tough love never killed anybody.  Paddling though, it stupid - Just let the nuns whack the kids again.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

Only a child's parents should be allowed to spank them.

Agreed on that.

Spanking might be appropriate, said Eric Berne, for actions that can get someone hurt -- like tampering with electrical cords, playing with fire, shouting racial epithets at minorities, or throwing stones at dogs. The idea is that one does not want to get electrical or physical burns, get into fights, or face retaliation from a large and dangerous predator.

The idea is to associate the misconduct with pain. Failing to get an adequate grade? Saying a dirty word? No.

In my state, teachers and administrators are not allowed to inflict corporal punishment upon any child. I have seen much student misconduct, but I have never been tempted to punish a child for it physically.

I felt corporal punishment once in school, and after that I held the teacher in contempt for the rest of the school year. She had it in for me for misspelling a word early in the year on the board -- and that I exposed it. It took her until late May of that year for her to catch me talking out of turn. Second grade. Bureaucratic toadying is not my idea of something appropriate to teach second-graders.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »

This school is K-9.  By 9th grade if a grown man had threatened to paddle me, I would've grabbed the paddle out of his hand and paddled him across the face as hard as I could with it.  Make him afraid it would happen every time he tried to paddle a student.

Then let the debate play out:  Should we throw a child in juvie for paddling the principal who was going to paddle him?

I’m sure you would have lol
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 03:49:48 PM »

wait so you get punished with a 5-day suspension if you don't consent to getting your ass whacked

That is peak school administration stupidity, really.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »

Only a child's parents family members or legal guardians should be allowed to spank them.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

LMAO.
This is a very good point!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 07:57:09 PM »

Only a child's parents family members or legal guardians should be allowed to spank them.

How very PC of you to make note of that.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »

Nothing wrong with an aunt/uncle or grandparent being allowed. Or even an adult sibling.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »

Nothing wrong with an aunt/uncle or grandparent being allowed. Or even an adult sibling.
Yes, we wouldn't want to deny extended family the right to physically abuse children, would we.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »

This is something that should probably be done by parents.  How else are you supposed to get a small child to behave?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »

This is something that should probably be done by parents.  How else are you supposed to get a small child to behave?
Reason, respect, and non-physical consequences.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »

Does that actually work for young children?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:26 PM »

You obviously do not have much experience with young children if you think reasoning with them works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies