Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 101763 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: September 23, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »

Pretty amazing that if Democrats were making this up just to derail a judge, Gorsuch had *none* of these kinds of accusations, right?

Interestingly Gorsuch also went to Georgetown Prep and graduated two years after Kavanaugh.

I’ve always gotten more of an introverted self-important nerd vibe from Gorsuch.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #851 on: September 23, 2018, 10:36:00 PM »

Pretty amazing that if Democrats were making this up just to derail a judge, Gorsuch had *none* of these kinds of accusations, right?

To play devil's advocate:

Well, the dems were kind of late to the ballgame on Gorsuch. People like Dianne Feinstein, Patrick Leahy, Angus King, and Chris Coons remained completely neutral until after the hearing, and even after coming out against the nomination, Coons and Leahy openly entertained the possibility of voting for Gorsuch on CLOTURE in order to save the filibuster for later. In other words, the fierce opposition to Gorsuch cropped up late, so there was no time to put together some big plan to tank him.

With this nomination, a majority of the democratic caucus came out against before Trump had even named a nominee, so there was plenty of time to create a plan.

Oh, and another thing I just thought of: The #MeToo movement wasn't nearly as strong a year and a half ago, so maybe creating a sexual assault scandal wouldn't even come to mind in the first place.

Or, more likely, Gorsuch just asks for permission before he takes his pants off.

Why did Trump nominate such a moderate hero to replace Freedom Fighter Scalia?
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #852 on: September 23, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »

And this is the part in our little story where, if Mitch McConnell is smart - and supposedly he is, he would have a little chat with Jeff Flake and Bob Corker to tell them, "Hey guys, I really need you to sink the Kavanaugh nomination now. As you know, we really can't afford for the hearing with Ford to actually occur. You two are retiring. You have nothing to lose. I can't have Collins/Murkowski sink it because they'll be running for elections in the future, and the base would go ape****. But it needs to be done. You know it needs to be done. So let's go put this old, tainted dog out of its misery so that we can go find a shiny new puppy instead."
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #853 on: September 23, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »

That specific phrase is in his yearbook.

Yeah, he would have actually had to say each individual F to get it printed in the year book. So now I do believe it stands for something.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #854 on: September 23, 2018, 10:37:39 PM »

Well, the dems were kind of late to the ballgame on Gorsuch. People like Dianne Feinstein, Patrick Leahy, Angus King, and Chris Coons remained completely neutral until after the hearing, and even after coming out against the nomination, Coons and Leahy openly entertained the possibility of voting for Gorsuch on CLOTURE in order to save the filibuster for later. In other words, the fierce opposition to Gorsuch cropped up late, so there was no time to put together some big plan to tank him.

With this nomination, a majority of the democratic caucus came out against before Trump had even named a nominee, so there was plenty of time to create a plan.

Oh, and another thing I just thought of: The #MeToo movement wasn't nearly as strong a year and a half ago, so maybe creating a sexual assault scandal wouldn't even come to mind in the first place.

Or, more likely, Gorsuch just asks for permission before he takes his pants off.

Maybe Gorsuch just likes to harass truck drivers and disabled kids instead of harrassing women. (I hope you get what I'm referencing here)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #855 on: September 23, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is a mess.
Kavanaugh is more than likely doomed.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #856 on: September 23, 2018, 10:42:09 PM »

Republicans should just pull this nomination and just ram through another right wing judge without the baggage.

Seriously, what's so hard about that?
It would be seen as capitulation in the eyes of Trump
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #857 on: September 23, 2018, 10:43:46 PM »

And this is the part in our little story where, if Mitch McConnell is smart - and supposedly he is, he would have a little chat with Jeff Flake and Bob Corker to tell them, "Hey guys, I really need you to sink the Kavanaugh nomination now. As you know, we really can't afford for the hearing with Ford to actually occur. You two are retiring. You have nothing to lose. I can't have Collins/Murkowski sink it because they'll be running for elections in the future, and the base would go ape****. But it needs to be done. You know it needs to be done. So let's go put this old, tainted dog out of its misery so that we can go find a shiny new puppy instead."

Seriously, this is by far the smartest way Republicans could deal with this. It's absolutely baffling that no one seems to realize it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #858 on: September 23, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »

Seriously, this is by far the smartest way Republicans could deal with this. It's absolutely baffling that no one seems to realize it.

Imagining Mitch saying "shiny new puppy" with his deep marbles-in-mouth accent is too amusing, and I find it hard to be amused by Mitch.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #859 on: September 23, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »

Kavanaugh's Predictit share price for "Will Brett Kavanaugh be the next confirmed Supreme Court justice?" is crashing.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/12469/Will-Brett-Kavanaugh-be-the-next-confirmed-Supreme-Court-justice

Latest Price: 34¢, down by 27¢ from 61.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #860 on: September 23, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »

I read this in Mitch McConnell’s voice.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #861 on: September 23, 2018, 10:58:35 PM »

Kavanaugh's Predictit share price for "Will Brett Kavanaugh be the next confirmed Supreme Court justice?" is crashing.

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/12469/Will-Brett-Kavanaugh-be-the-next-confirmed-Supreme-Court-justice

Latest Price: 34¢, down by 27¢ from 61.

Wow, and 6 minutes later it is down another 6 cents to 28.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #862 on: September 23, 2018, 11:15:12 PM »

If BK isn't fit to be on the highest court, then shouldn't he also not be fit to be on the second highest court?

On this point we agree, but not in the way you meant.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #863 on: September 23, 2018, 11:15:55 PM »

The Ramirez story is garbage.

This proves nothing other than he didn't try to rape or stick his penis in any of these folks faces.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #864 on: September 23, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »

Maybe Gorsuch just likes to harass truck drivers and disabled kids instead of harrassing women. (I hope you get what I'm referencing here)

Haha, of course! He just doesn’t go *that way* with them. He’s more of a passive let it happen to them kind of guy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #865 on: September 23, 2018, 11:26:50 PM »

It's funny to think that months ago, McConnell had threatened Democrats to either support the new justice pick and let them be confirmed easily, or he will schedule the vote right before October 1st, so red state Democrats will have to take a highly contentious vote right before the midterms.

That entire strategy just blew up in the turtle's face big time.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #866 on: September 23, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »

Hardiman could've been on the bench by now.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #867 on: September 23, 2018, 11:42:15 PM »

It's funny to think that months ago, McConnell had threatened Democrats to either support the new justice pick and let them be confirmed easily, or he will schedule the vote right before October 1st, so red state Democrats will have to take a highly contentious vote right before the midterms.

That entire strategy just blew up in the turtle's face big time.
No kidding
SCNCmod

« Reply #868 on: September 23, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »

If Avenatti's stuff that he is hinting at pans out, that will definitely be the worst of anything that has come up so far.

It's Avenatti so who knows, but if it is, wow!

How would you ask Kavanaugh what FFFFFFFFouth of July means... and actually get an answer?  He will obviously lie and say it means nothing. Will probably just say it means he is excited for 4th of July (or perhaps better chosen words to mean the same thing).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #869 on: September 24, 2018, 12:08:34 AM »

This proves nothing other than he didn't try to rape or stick his penis in any of these folks faces.

Hardly. I shows that multiple people who allegedly saw this event as named by the accuser do not corroborate the story.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #870 on: September 24, 2018, 12:09:43 AM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #871 on: September 24, 2018, 12:17:12 AM »

Not to mention that the story identified other people who supported what she said, and someone who had heard about this at the time and provided details on his own before those details were available in the press.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #872 on: September 24, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »

Not to mention that the story identified other people who supported what she said, and someone who had heard about this at the time and provided details on his own before those details were available in the press.

The right is really bending over backwards trying to pick at this story.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #873 on: September 24, 2018, 12:23:52 AM »

That specific phrase is in his yearbook.

Off topic, but apparently I live like ten minutes away from Kavanaugh's house. Neat.

Anyway the Fourth of July stuff seems like a nothingburger. I would definitely look deeper into the actual substantiated allegations of assault from actual potential victims.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #874 on: September 24, 2018, 12:26:35 AM »

Is there a possibility, however slight, that there will be no justice confirmed until 2021?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies