Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 01:35:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 101783 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: September 22, 2018, 01:49:33 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #601 on: September 22, 2018, 01:51:03 AM »

The Classic 'Strongly Worded Statement'. She needs to get some guts and announce her opposition to Kavanaugh.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #602 on: September 22, 2018, 02:04:00 AM »

The Classic 'Strongly Worded Statement'. She needs to get some guts and announce her opposition to Kavanaugh.

^^^^^
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #603 on: September 22, 2018, 08:14:58 AM »

Do we agree that Grassley meant to DM that to Kavanaugh and tweeted it out by mistake?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #604 on: September 22, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »

I don’t think you can choose which day a hearing is in any type of court

1. This isn't a court

2. There is no rush. If Grassley feels like there is one, it's only because Senate Republicans are manufacturing it. No one forced them to pick a flawed nominee like Kavanaugh

3. They haven't been waiting around forever. What has it been? A week? And they are getting bent out of shape over that? Seriously?

He wasn’t really that flawed until like a week ago.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #605 on: September 22, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »

1. This isn't a court

2. There is no rush. If Grassley feels like there is one, it's only because Senate Republicans are manufacturing it. No one forced them to pick a flawed nominee like Kavanaugh

3. They haven't been waiting around forever. What has it been? A week? And they are getting bent out of shape over that? Seriously?

McConnell warned Trump Kavanaugh would be the hardest person to confirm, even if everyone assumed (and may still be correct) that party loyalty is enough to get him through. He had that track record of perviness on the Starr team and the perjury about his role in receiving stolen Democratic files. They could have chosen someone who didn't have a track record as a political operative before becoming a judge.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #606 on: September 22, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »

1. This isn't a court

McConnell warned Trump Kavanaugh would be the hardest person to confirm, even if everyone assumed (and may still be correct) that party loyalty is enough to get him through. He had that track record of perviness on the Starr team and the perjury about his role in receiving stolen Democratic files. They could have chosen someone who didn't have a track record as a political operative before becoming a judge.

Right.. he would be harder to confirm because he has the longest paper trail. There was nothing like this in record.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #607 on: September 22, 2018, 09:01:48 AM »

1. This isn't a court

Right.. he would be harder to confirm because he has the longest paper trail. There was nothing like this in record.

I suppose it depends if you think Republicans were anticipating this or something similar coming out, and that's why they had the girls' basketball team show up and the letter from 65 women come together extremely quickly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #608 on: September 22, 2018, 09:14:27 AM »

For those of you that have never been in a band, most instruments are divided into 2-4 groups by skill, and this determines the difficulty of the part you are expected to play:

This joke is incredibly cold.

I don't want to say too much while negotiations are still ongoing in case Grassley reads Atlas, but Grassley has lost respect with me over this. I didn't mind the Garland thing too much - he would have just been voted down on the floor (the filibuster still existed for SCOTUS in 2016), and honestly I'd rather just be told no at the door then go through a months-long process just to get voted down on national television. But this is something else entirely.

Why does he lose your respect here?  He seems to be doing his best to make a hearing happen in a timely manner and has offered many accommodations to try to get Ford to testify.   What do you want him to do differently?

Wouldn't exactly call "Wednesday or Bust" giving many accommodations.....

He's pushed the date back from Monday to Wednesday, offered to fly Senate staff out there to interview her if she didn't want to come to DC, has agreed to her requests regarding cameras and security etc.  But he wants to bring in lawyers including women to question her so that it's not just a bunch of Republican male Senators questioning her, he wants her to testify first before Kavanaugh, & he wants to get the confirmation vote done before the Court session that starts at the beginning of October.  And now, he's given her an extra day to decide whether she's willing to come in.   
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #609 on: September 22, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »

He may not be out of a job, just reassigned.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #610 on: September 22, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »

For those of you that have never been in a band, most instruments are divided into 2-4 groups by skill, and this determines the difficulty of the part you are expected to play:

This joke is incredibly cold.

I don't want to say too much while negotiations are still ongoing in case Grassley reads Atlas, but Grassley has lost respect with me over this. I didn't mind the Garland thing too much - he would have just been voted down on the floor (the filibuster still existed for SCOTUS in 2016), and honestly I'd rather just be told no at the door then go through a months-long process just to get voted down on national television. But this is something else entirely.

Why does he lose your respect here?  He seems to be doing his best to make a hearing happen in a timely manner and has offered many accommodations to try to get Ford to testify.   What do you want him to do differently?

Wouldn't exactly call "Wednesday or Bust" giving many accommodations.....

He's pushed the date back from Monday to Wednesday, offered to fly Senate staff out there to interview her if she didn't want to come to DC, has agreed to her requests regarding cameras and security etc.  But he wants to bring in lawyers including women to question her so that it's not just a bunch of Republican male Senators questioning her, he wants her to testify first before Kavanaugh, & he wants to get the confirmation vote done before the Court session that starts at the beginning of October.  And now, he's given her an extra day to decide whether she's willing to come in.   

This

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #611 on: September 22, 2018, 12:01:22 PM »

1. This isn't a court

I suppose it depends if you think Republicans were anticipating this or something similar coming out, and that's why they had the girls' basketball team show up and the letter from 65 women come together extremely quickly.

I'm sure the fact that Democrats have spent years trying to portray Republicans and conservative lawyers/judges as anti-woman has nothing to do with it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #612 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »

1. This isn't a court

I'm sure the fact that Democrats have spent years trying to portray Republicans and conservative lawyers/judges as anti-woman has nothing to do with it.

shua, it's sadly been a self-portrait. Trump is the main painter.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #613 on: September 22, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »

1. This isn't a court

The "War on Women" was trotted out against Mitt Romney with as much conviction as the Democrats were ever able to manage against Trump, and we have protesting cosplayers taken seriously when they warn that Mike Pence is the literal Taliban.  Whatever certain Republicans have done to deserve being called anti-woman, you can't blame other Republicans for trying to preemptively disassociate themselves from the label as though it's evidence of something nefarious.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #614 on: September 22, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »

adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #615 on: September 22, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »

Bless
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: September 22, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »

Should add though there's still not a clear agreement about the specifics so this may not actually mean anything.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #617 on: September 22, 2018, 02:27:41 PM »

Should add though there's still not a clear agreement about the specifics so this may not actually mean anything.

I think at this point it's a near certainty that she will testify. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »

I half-expect her to appear on 60 minutes tomorrow night.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #619 on: September 22, 2018, 03:23:11 PM »

I half-expect her to appear on 60 minutes tomorrow night.

Nah, they (60 Minutes) would be hyping it up for all it's worth by now for the ratings
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #620 on: September 22, 2018, 04:26:55 PM »

We know that is 2012, Kavanaugh was a public figure and that her family had dealing with Kavanaugh.

You really think she endeavored to determine if the judge in her mom's case (a routine proceeding to rubber stamp a deal made with a bank) happened to be related to someone she knew in high school?

JJ vs. Reality, Chapter 4327
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #621 on: September 22, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »

1. This isn't a court

The "War on Women" was trotted out against Mitt Romney with as much conviction as the Democrats were ever able to manage against Trump, and we have protesting cosplayers taken seriously when they warn that Mike Pence is the literal Taliban.  Whatever certain Republicans have done to deserve being called anti-woman, you can't blame other Republicans for trying to preemptively disassociate themselves from the label as though it's evidence of something nefarious.

Oh Shua. You crusty old contrarian. As if Trump hasn't been the poster child for sexism in it's most vicious rapey way, but the Republicans follow him as Dear Leader regardless.

The whole "it's the DEMOCRATS fault Kavanaugh is being accused of sexual assault!!!" thing is the most well documented thing here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #622 on: September 22, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2018, 06:00:25 PM by Torie »

We are going down the road of getting personal again, and I can see that the sh*t is going to hit the fan again soon. What's a Mod to do? Am I going to have to deal with the same scenario every freaking day? Stop, just stop. This is a thread I cannot lock (given its importance, and if I did, another would pop up), so that tool is out. Maybe a round of mass infractions, and endure the multiple threads complaining about that, may be the only option soon. If I go in that direction, there will be a lot of post deletions above.  
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #623 on: September 22, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »

Enough with the personal attacks, get the civility back please. This is an official warning. As I said in the OP, I reserve the right as the OP to lock this temporarily to cool things down.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #624 on: September 22, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »

I'm sure that the people defending Kavanaugh would be just as forgiving of Hillary Clinton if she had used a private email server when she was 17 as well.

Only White men deserve second (and third, and fourth, and fifth) chances, don't you know?

Atlas lefties haven't criticized Keith Ellison for accusations of domestic violence and labeled him a woman beater.

But I guess accusations only matter when it's against a conservative white man.

What are you talking about? He was widely condemned here.

Ftghn has nothing but falsehoods and false equivalences to support 99% of her arguments.

But don't worry folks! She repeats the mantra "reasonable questions" in almost every one of her posts, so it MUST be so. Roll Eyes

Try that again when we have a bunch of different threads about it like we do for Kavanaugh. Really, even one active thread regarding this since it's still an ongoing situation with Ellison.

And my questions on this thread had everything to do with the case based on what is known or what we should know before accusing someone of being a rapist. Just because you disagree doesn't mean it's unreasonable or invalid.

Get over your obsession and lay off the drunken talk-to-text posts.

I mean... you literally said, "Atlas lefties haven't criticized Keith Ellison..."

That's false. You don't get to be like "oh, uh, well it doesn't have as many threads as Kavanaugh has" and get off the hook.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies