Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 14, 2024, 12:49:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 58
Author Topic: Justice Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing *DISCUSSION AND LIVE COMMENTARY*  (Read 102259 times)
IntelGPU
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 22, 2018, 05:39:40 PM »

Any word on how the negotiations are going?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #626 on: September 22, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »

Any word on how the negotiations are going?

Nope. Honestly I expect the committee to just vote on Monday at this point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #627 on: September 22, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »

Enough with the personal attacks, get the civility back please. This is an official warning. As I said in the OP, I reserve the right as the OP to lock this temporarily to cool things down.

We have a systemic problem with two posters at least feeding off each other. Both feel very aggrieved. It is a systemic problem, as to which mere infractions I feel pessimistic will really solve. So I am reaching out for a systemic solution in various directions. I truly hate having to deal with this, particularly as it is so unnecessary for this discussion to go in such direction. It illuminates nothing. It is all about putting another poster down, that the other does not respect in any manner, so the gloves are off. When I get the advice, and feel comfortable with the right course of action, I will act. That might take some time. But this situation cannot stand. If you do lock the thread, I will not unlock it, until this situation has some resolution going forward.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #628 on: September 22, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »

I know Mark Judge's history has been talked about but this specific instance stands out.

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/22/mark-judge-wasted-brett-kavanaugh/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #629 on: September 22, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »

Uff

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #630 on: September 22, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »

Uff

Don't get your hopes up, we're not that lucky.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #631 on: September 22, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

If Grassley is saying the Senate should do the investigating, they sure don't seem to be open to that. They refuse to subpoena anyone and seem to only want to hear Ford's testimony, presumably so it remains a he said/she said.

I'm sorry but Republicans have made it pretty clear that they just want to appease the public by hearing her out, and then confirm him regardless. They've literally said as much. So them avoiding any other background investigation makes sense in that regard. I don't really care how many options Grassley gives Ford. What he won't do speaks volumes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #632 on: September 22, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/politics/senate-judiciary-committee-adviser-quits-kavanaugh-nomination/index.html

Apparently even the people assigned to guide Kavanaugh through the Senate are sexually harassing women.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #633 on: September 22, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/politics/senate-judiciary-committee-adviser-quits-kavanaugh-nomination/index.html

Apparently even the people assigned to guide Kavanaugh through the Senate are sexually harassing women.

Smh. Classic GOP.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #634 on: September 22, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »

I don’t think you can choose which day a hearing is in any type of court

1. This isn't a court

2. There is no rush. If Grassley feels like there is one, it's only because Senate Republicans are manufacturing it. No one forced them to pick a flawed nominee like Kavanaugh

3. They haven't been waiting around forever. What has it been? A week? And they are getting bent out of shape over that? Seriously?

He wasn’t really that flawed until like a week ago.

McConnell warned Trump Kavanaugh would be the hardest person to confirm, even if everyone assumed (and may still be correct) that party loyalty is enough to get him through. He had that track record of perviness on the Starr team and the perjury about his role in receiving stolen Democratic files. They could have chosen someone who didn't have a track record as a political operative before becoming a judge.

Right.. he would be harder to confirm because he has the longest paper trail. There was nothing like this in record.

I suppose it depends if you think Republicans were anticipating this or something similar coming out, and that's why they had the girls' basketball team show up and the letter from 65 women come together extremely quickly.

I'm sure the fact that Democrats have spent years trying to portray Republicans and conservative lawyers/judges as anti-woman has nothing to do with it.

shua, it's sadly been a self-portrait. Trump is the main painter.

The "War on Women" was trotted out against Mitt Romney with as much conviction as the Democrats were ever able to manage against Trump, and we have protesting cosplayers taken seriously when they warn that Mike Pence is the literal Taliban.  Whatever certain Republicans have done to deserve being called anti-woman, you can't blame other Republicans for trying to preemptively disassociate themselves from the label as though it's evidence of something nefarious.

Oh Shua. You crusty old contrarian. As if Trump hasn't been the poster child for sexism in it's most vicious rapey way, but the Republicans follow him as Dear Leader regardless.

The whole "it's the DEMOCRATS fault Kavanaugh is being accused of sexual assault!!!" thing is the most well documented thing here.

Please try reading the quoted conversation again, starting with the first Britain33 post I responded to.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #635 on: September 22, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »

Kavanaugh's still getting confirmed. Republicans don't care.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #636 on: September 22, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »

If Grassley is saying the Senate should do the investigating, they sure don't seem to be open to that. They refuse to subpoena anyone and seem to only want to hear Ford's testimony, presumably so it remains a he said/she said.

I'm sorry but Republicans have made it pretty clear that they just want to appease the public by hearing her out, and then confirm him regardless. They've literally said as much. So them avoiding any other background investigation makes sense in that regard. I don't really care how many options Grassley gives Ford. What he won't do speaks volumes.

Is it really the Senate's job to "investigate" Kavanaugh or allegations such as this?

This sort of crap should have been investigated long ago.  It was out there.  Perhaps someone said it's a Nothingburger, but it's a Turd Slider with Relish at a minimum as we post.

These things should be "investigated" by the FBI BEFORE putting names in nomination.  Right now, the thing to do is pull the nomination; this thing can't be truly resolved, not now, and not ever, if the truth be admitted.  But there's enough to say "We don't need this baggage!".  Is that really unfair to Kavanaugh?  He's not getting promoted, but he's not going to jail.  That's a win-win all around when you think about it.

Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #637 on: September 22, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »

Men who have been falsely accused of sexual assault should have their own #MeToo movement. Disgusting how low Democrats will go in order to obstruct the confirmation.
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #638 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »

Men who have been falsely accused of sexual assault should have their own #MeToo movement. Disgusting how low Democrats will go in order to obstruct the confirmation.

100% agree. This is against everything our legal system and society stands for.

We have become a fascist country when guilt is determined not by evidence but by politics. I am ashamed of the democratic party for doing this. Angry.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #639 on: September 22, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »

We have become a fascist country when guilt is determined not by evidence but by politics. I am ashamed of the democratic party for doing this. Angry.

That's fair - we're ashamed of you too.

The troll farm seems to be up late tonight (that's not directed at you, Harry).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #640 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:17 PM »

I'm beginning to think there's a good chance it will never come to a vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #641 on: September 22, 2018, 07:56:35 PM »

Flake doing so would tie the nomination 10-10 on the report favorably motion, which means the motion fails. The question then becomes if Flake would vote to report the nomination with a neutral or unfavorable recommendation, or if he will oppose any effort to move it out of committee.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #642 on: September 22, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »

They already have official sworn statements from the alleged witnesses.  Does it really make sense to make a commitment to subpoenaing certain people when they haven't heard anything official directly from Ford?  Is it fair to the alleged witnesses to force them to come before them for questioning at this point, just on the basis of an account they haven't even seen the non-redacted version of?  Should they have forced Ford to come before them also?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #643 on: September 22, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »

Deleting that as Flake denies he is voting present.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #644 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »

It's disappointing how many reporters these days trust these random anonymous sources that have every incentive to lie. #FAKENEWS
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #645 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

Flake doing so would tie the nomination 10-10 on the report favorably motion, which means the motion fails. The question then becomes if Flake would vote to report the nomination with a neutral or unfavorable recommendation, or if he will oppose any effort to move it out of committee.

Flake has already come out against this, saying he will not vote present.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #646 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »

Is it really the Senate's job to "investigate" Kavanaugh or allegations such as this?

This sort of crap should have been investigated long ago.  It was out there.  Perhaps someone said it's a Nothingburger, but it's a Turd Slider with Relish at a minimum as we post.

These things should be "investigated" by the FBI BEFORE putting names in nomination.  Right now, the thing to do is pull the nomination; this thing can't be truly resolved, not now, and not ever, if the truth be admitted.  But there's enough to say "We don't need this baggage!".  Is that really unfair to Kavanaugh?  He's not getting promoted, but he's not going to jail.  That's a win-win all around when you think about it.

Well put. And to answer your question, not really because it's an inherently partisan body. Unlike the FBI (well, except according to you know who Wink).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #647 on: September 22, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »

You guys are a treat.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #648 on: September 22, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »

Don’t hold your breath expecting Flake not to Flake

So ready for Flake to not be a Senator anymore. Even if we get McSally, at least she is clear about her beliefs and doesn't give people false hopes.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #649 on: September 22, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »

If you're lying about who assaulted you, Ford, just admit it.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies