New Hampshire 2018: The Bloody First
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:06:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Hampshire 2018: The Bloody First
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: New Hampshire 2018: The Bloody First  (Read 6379 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »

So pissed at Gabbard for endorsing Sullivan. Hopefully it doesn't confuse progressives.

"Progressives" that support Gabbard, to the point of blindly supporting whoever she endorses, are already confused
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »

It's time for a rundown on how garbage Andy Sanborn is. I've actually posted about this guy when his career was starting to take off in 2013-2014.

• 2004: He shut down his bike business without telling anyone, citing "poor health" and wanting to retire. Workers were up in arms, and suppliers sued for the money they lost in a lengthy lawsuit. In reality, he sold his stock, kept his former storefronts to rent out (which becomes important later), and opened up a bar.
  • May 2013: calls Maggie Hassan "Haggie", says it's a typo and deletes tweet
  • July 2013: Compares Obamacare to a very recent plane crash. When called out on it, denies it. They play audio proof that he said it, and he admits it and gives a non-apology "I'm sorry if" apology.
  • January 2014: A college constituent emails him about marijuana. He takes the time to look up his information, see he got a scholarship, and threatens to get it revoked if he contacts him again. Nobody really knows where he got the info from. This is after he rented out the space from his former bike shop to a head shop.

Now, we have Andy Sanborn is human garbage, #MeToo edition:

• Talking with male staffer about his vacation, he says it sucks his wife can't come along because of his House business. A male staffer jokes about it, and Sanborn asks him how good he is at giving blowjobs. This gets reported by another aide and the Senate's legal counsel. The intern seemed uncomfortable, but everyone took it as a joke. The complaint was dismissed.
  • Sanborn makes a sexual comment about a female staffer to a different male staffer. Says she's hot and that the male staffer "probably wants to f*** her". Overheard by the assistant chief of staff.
  • Sanborn hit on the female staffer from the second incident on a daily basis. It got so bad that another state senator stepped in, encouraged her to file a complaint, and transferred her to her office. That state senator later was elected NHGOP chair, so that would certainly explain the reluctance by the establishment to get behind Sanborn.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »

So another Dem military vet in the race is attacking Sullivan accusing her of stolen valor.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.unionleader.com/state-government/congressional-candidates-military-service-records-under-attack-20180826
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »

So another Dem military vet in the race is attacking Sullivan accusing her of stolen valor.

http://www.unionleader.com/state-government/congressional-candidates-military-service-records-under-attack-20180826

Hurrah! If O'Rourke can leech some votes away, then Pappas can win!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 02:49:48 AM »

Strangely enough, Moulton decided to intervene.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 03:29:24 AM »

Strangely enough, Moulton decided to intervene.

How so?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:22 AM »

That’s a pretty gross attack on her service. He’s saying that because she was a woman serving before women were allowed in ground combat roles, she shouldn’t say that she experienced combat, even though several other women in her division were killed in combat.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 07:31:51 AM »

That’s a pretty gross attack on her service. He’s saying that because she was a woman serving before women were allowed in ground combat roles, she shouldn’t say that she experienced combat, even though several other women in her division were killed in combat.

I have a lot of respect for Moulton, but the dude's AOC levels of full of himself.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 09:35:40 AM »

I have a lot of respect for Moulton, but the dude's AOC levels of full of himself.
Oh yeah, MA Dems tend to think they have more influence and power than they actually have. The only MADEM that has power is Clark, but everyone thinks they have the spotlight.
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

Not impressed with this justification to be honest. This is reminds me (if not quite to the same degree) of Scott Brown trying to say how he had really deep roots because his family was from there rather than just admitting that he had carpetbagged.

Moulton's whole shtick is going around and endorsing every veteran running for Congress. It's very obnoxious and superficial, but when you look at his actions in congressional primaries through that lens, his actions make sense.  
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »

Dave Wasserman's take on the primary.

Quote from: Restricted

Ugh. Praying for Pappas here. Messmer is my favorite out of all of these candidates, but if I was in NH-01, I'd definitely be voting for Pappas just to stop Sullivan, who's just plain awful.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 11:13:44 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2018, 11:19:02 AM by Sawx Reborn »

This:

It's very weird, considering O'Rourke is non-competitive, and bringing in about $5,000 per quarter. His campaign structure consists almost entirely of astroturfing on Twitter to the point where he's actually bought likes/retweets for one of my tweets.

On another note, I can definitely see where Jeppe is coming from here, and why O'Rourke's statement was sexist. I was originally bearish after she said that people telling her it "wasn't her turn to run" was misogynstic. We can certainly argue that Sullivan not serving in combat was institutional sexism, but people saying Sullivan should wait a few years isn't sexist and she knows it isn't sexist.

Moulton's whole shtick is going around and endorsing every veteran running for Congress. It's very obnoxious and superficial, but when you look at his actions in congressional primaries through that lens, his actions make sense.  

Seth Moulton is a personal friend of Maura Sullivan's. I'd have to imagine this one feels a bit more personal for him. There's a certain group of people that are trying to make Maura Sullivan happen, whether it be fighting Roskam, Lipinski, Comstock, Edwards, or Sanborn. I'd say Moulton is the brainchild behind it.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »

Not impressed with this justification to be honest. This is reminds me (if not quite to the same degree) of Scott Brown trying to say how he had really deep roots because his family was from there rather than just admitting that he had carpetbagged.

She actually hasn't said anything at all about her time as a Pepsi manager. Like I said, her justification is that she's always had a soft spot for the state. According to her, she loved going on vacation here, wanted to go here for college at Dartmouth, and constantly made trips up here when she was living in MA and worked for CSP. She was going to live here no matter what, but my Congressional seat happened to open up and she just wanted to make a difference.

Still not impressed with the justification, but it's not as farfetched as "I worked in Boston".
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

What sucks is Pappas gave up his Executive Council seat to run for NH-1.   

I'm thinking he might lose just because he's too passive and Sullivan being female in 2018.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2018, 04:39:06 PM »

Final forum update, out from Manchester:

* Pretty much, it was everyone vs. Pappas and Sullivan. More of the same song and dance about how Pappas was being anointed by the state establishment, while Sullivan was a carpetbagger bought by Big Pharma.

* McEachern was probably the star of the forum. He called out Pappas for not doing enough to stop Sullivan and name names, and called Sullivan out for crying sexism about everyone's opposition to her carpetbagging. Perhaps this is a concession that he has no chance, but the guy definitely has a bright future.

* The loser is our resident lolcow, Levi Sanders. He is still the personification of the "old man yells at cloud" meme. Most strangely enough, he is still attacking Pappas like he's the sole frontrunner. Anyone with half a brain can tell you that this is not the case, and even then, Pappas seems much more open to the idea than Sullivan.

* Pappas had his most direct attack on Sullivan, attacking her for declaring herself "the presumptive nominee". Still didn't take McEachern's advice.

Overall, not much can really change in this stage.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 06:32:31 PM »

And more GOP news, from Andy Sanborn is Human Garbage:

Recently, Sanborn sent out an unattributed mailer attacking Eddie Edwards over unknown reasons. He failed to disclose these attacks, but later admitted they came from him as a "clerical error". These later were revealed to be over Edwards' employment at the liquor commission. He alleged that Edwards got fired from the commission, legally couldn't get a job, and took $160,000 as severance.

In reality, he quit, partially over racist comments from his peers. The $160,000 was to settle a discrimination lawsuit. Edwards and a few of his supporters fired back at Sanborn, uniting to attack him over his #MeToo scandal. Later, he explained what really happened on his terms.

I'd imagine The Powers That Be triage Sanborn if he wins.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 06:42:30 PM »

For a moment I thought Sanborn was the guy who called Kuster "ugly as sin", but that was some other NH male, apparently. Anyway, Andy Sanborn for NH-01/NH-SEN/NH-GOV/State Senate/State House/Executive Council, please!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 10:44:07 PM »

For a moment I thought Sanborn was the guy who called Kuster "ugly as sin", but that was some other NH male, apparently. Anyway, Andy Sanborn for NH-01/NH-SEN/NH-GOV/State Senate/State House/Executive Council, please!

Nope. That guy's dead.

I kinda want him to win so I can vote against Sullivan without worrying tbh
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2018, 11:55:45 AM »

https://twitter.com/deanbarker/status/1036647667189854209

Maura Sullivan not only planned to run in NH-1 from the get-go, but planned to primary Shea-Porter because it was "an easy shot".

As much as I like Messmer, I'm on board with Pappas now. We need to stop Maura Sullivan at all costs.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

Maura Sullivan not only planned to run in NH-1 from the get-go, but planned to primary Shea-Porter because it was "an easy shot".

As much as I like Messmer, I'm on board with Pappas now. We need to stop Maura Sullivan at all costs.

It’s an anonymous source from an excerpt on an opinion column published by a small newspaper. I doubt it’s accurate.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2018, 12:49:57 PM »

We can only hope negative news like this brings down Sullivan. I'm cautiously optimistic that more people in NH-01 share your attitude toward her.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »

Pappas is easily going to win though. Not sure why people feel the need to drag Sullivan’s name through the mud like this. They attacked her military record & now are spreading unsourced rumours about her trying to primary CSP.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »

Sullivan picked the worst place to carpetbag, she should've went for VA-10 or somewhere in FL, NV where most of the people are transients. I don't even know why she bailed on Illinois, wasn't she in IL-14 which is absolutely winnable.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »

Sullivan picked the worst place to carpetbag, she should've went for VA-10 or somewhere in FL, NV where most of the people are transients. I don't even know why she bailed on Illinois, wasn't she in IL-14 which is absolutely winnable.

She was initially planning on running in IL-06, but there was already a huge pile-up of strong female candidates in that district, all of whom split the vote with each other and let Sean Casten win.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »

NH-1 is actually more full of transients. NH-2 is the more insular district. Most of those transients are Republican, but nevertheless there are transients.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies