Should Columbus Day be celebrated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 07:32:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Columbus Day be celebrated?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should Columbus Day be celebrated?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Should Columbus Day be celebrated?  (Read 11336 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 06:58:40 PM »

He's got the right idea.  You don't get the day off, you don't celebrate it.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 07:15:52 PM »

Yes, why not have a monday off?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 07:37:37 PM »

And interestingly enough Columbus wasn't even Italian.
So you don't buy that Columbus was from Genoa or that Genoa was not Italy back then? I know there are several varying theories floating out there.

I take it you saw the special on the History Channel regarding this.

I had work today and I am a state employee. No one should have to celebrate anything they don't want to. But Columbus does deserve to have a holiday named after him as well as parades.

Columbus was most likely from eastern Spain. His family had royal connections and if they hadn't he would have never gotten the royal audiences he had.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2005, 08:10:15 PM »

Columbus and a small group of treasure-seekers landed on a group of islands populated by a peaceful tribe called the Arawak and another called the Taino. Columbus told them to give him gold, and they did, since there was so much. But then Columbus started demanding so much gold that the Indians couldn't keep up. So Columbus got angry. After chopping off the hands of anyone who didn't fulfill their "quota" of gold, he began to hang large groups of Indian men, women and children and to burn others to death. Plantations soon sprang up across the Caribbean, which were worked by Indian slaves. In four decades, the entire Indian population of the Caribbean had been wiped out.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 08:12:52 PM »

Yes, there's no reason to stop celebrating Columbus Day.

The politically correct attack on Columbus Day has made me want to celebrate it even more.

I don't buy into this America-hating left wing drivel that idealizes the Indians and excoriates Europeans without exception.  Follow that to its logical conclusion, and we should all leave, and turn things back over to the Indians.  The truth is no doubt far more complex than either the (a) Columbus was great brigade; or (b) Columbus was a genocidal murderer.

Attacks on Columbus by left-wing liberals are ultimately attacks on America itself.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 08:17:23 PM »

Get off my land, foreigners!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 09:40:42 PM »

Yes, there's no reason to stop celebrating Columbus Day.

The politically correct attack on Columbus Day has made me want to celebrate it even more.

I don't buy into this America-hating left wing drivel that idealizes the Indians and excoriates Europeans without exception.  Follow that to its logical conclusion, and we should all leave, and turn things back over to the Indians.  The truth is no doubt far more complex than either the (a) Columbus was great brigade; or (b) Columbus was a genocidal murderer.

Attacks on Columbus by left-wing liberals are ultimately attacks on America itself.

Considering Columbus was alive almost 300 years before the country was even close to being founded, how can it be anti-American to hate him and how is it against the country to hate him?

He was a genocidal sh!thead, so I hate him. What's wrong with that?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 09:40:59 PM »

Your reasoning.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »

And what's wrong with it? I hate people who mass murder and enslave indigenous populations.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »

And why should those things disqualify him from having a day? Personally, I don't see why it isn't Raleigh Day or something, but if people get a day off on a Monday, take it and don't complain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2005, 09:50:14 PM »

I didn't get today off though.

But if you want a holiday today, make it Leif Ericson Day.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »

Why? He has even less to do with America and few people know who he is.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2005, 10:26:18 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2005, 10:27:37 PM »

Why? He has even less to do with America and few people know who he is.

He came to America a hell of a lot longer before Columbus did.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 10:29:55 PM »

He came to Newfoundland around 1000. Columbus came to a few Carribean islands around 1500. Neither should have a holiday celebrated, but tradition disagrees.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2005, 10:35:54 PM »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone Cheesy

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2005, 11:59:30 PM »

Columbus and a small group of treasure-seekers landed on a group of islands populated by a peaceful tribe called the Arawak and another called the Taino. Columbus told them to give him gold, and they did, since there was so much. But then Columbus started demanding so much gold that the Indians couldn't keep up. So Columbus got angry. After chopping off the hands of anyone who didn't fulfill their "quota" of gold, he began to hang large groups of Indian men, women and children and to burn others to death. Plantations soon sprang up across the Caribbean, which were worked by Indian slaves. In four decades, the entire Indian population of the Caribbean had been wiped out.

Except that 95% of that story is complete bunk. Columbus was STRONGLY against brutalizing the native peoples.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2005, 08:42:01 AM »

Calling it Columbus day doesn't make a great deal of sense, as he didn't have anything to do with the settlement of the United States. Then again "Anonymus Cod Fishermen Day" doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2005, 09:03:07 AM »

F@#$ Columbus Day -- the only good thing about it is that I got to sleep in.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2005, 09:29:44 AM »

Lets just change the name to Discovery Day, noting Columbus as the most noted of several explorers of America.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2005, 09:33:50 AM »

Lets just change the name to Discovery Day, noting Columbus as the most noted of several explorers of America.
That's actually not a bad idea.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2005, 09:49:30 AM »

No, Native Americans discovered America and Columbus treated them as badly as any other filthy european of the time. 

Actually Columbus was against the mistreatment of the native population.

Eventually.... meh, whatever, I think it should be given to the Native Americans tho
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2005, 10:03:09 AM »

For once CARLHAYDEN has a pretty good idea.

What's most funny about dazzleman's claim that this is all anti-American leftism is the state I mentioned that did change the name, South Dakota, is hardly leftist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2005, 10:37:51 AM »

Good idea Carl.  The thread has degraded into a discussion of who "discovered" the americas, the ethnicity of Columubus, and whether it's worth celebrating any of them.  Of course, it was begun on a fairly low note, with a bizarre claim that Columbus was genocidal and despicable, and the implication that one can't honor both Europeans and Indigenous peoples simultaneously.  anyway, you can't say Columbus, the first European to think he sailed around the world to the East Indies, discovered America.  Nor can you say Lief the Lucky, son of Eric the Red discovered America.  Nor is it fair to say that the Minions of Chinese Emperor of Zhu Di, who visited California and Mexico many years before Columbus discovered the continent.  Nor was it the Irish saint who navigated a craft to the Bahamas six hundred years before Lief the Lucky.  No, it was a group of Siberian hunter-gatherers who discovered America some twenty to thirty thousand years ago, as they crossed a land bridge in what is now the bearing straits.  These are the ones whose descendants would hunt to extinction the Mammoth some fifteen thousand years ago.  All of you know all of this, so what's the point of arguing about who "discovered" America or what the goals of the voyage were or what Columbus' ethnicity was.

The point is that, along with great Americans such as Washington and King, and noted foreigners like Jesus and Columbus, we also celebrate our nation's independence, Memorial Day, Turkey Day, and Labor day.  That's not very many postal holidays, really.  Give the guys a break.  Let 'em have Columbus day.  Call it whatever you want, but realize that the economy isn't going to grind to a halt just because they have a holiday.  If you were a postal employee, would you want the day off?  I say, if you're honest with yourself, you'd probably say that you do.

And, for some of us in flyover country, it's a chance to get ripped, listen to free music concerts, dance in the streets, and make cats wear tiaras and parade them around on leashes.  Nothing wrong with that, either.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2005, 11:40:55 AM »

Good idea Carl.  The thread has degraded into a discussion of who "discovered" the americas, the ethnicity of Columubus, and whether it's worth celebrating any of them.  Of course, it was begun on a fairly low note, with a bizarre claim that Columbus was genocidal and despicable, and the implication that one can't honor both Europeans and Indigenous peoples simultaneously.  anyway, you can't say Columbus, the first European to think he sailed around the world to the East Indies, discovered America.  Nor can you say Lief the Lucky, son of Eric the Red discovered America.  Nor is it fair to say that the Minions of Chinese Emperor of Zhu Di, who visited California and Mexico many years before Columbus discovered the continent.  Nor was it the Irish saint who navigated a craft to the Bahamas six hundred years before Lief the Lucky.  No, it was a group of Siberian hunter-gatherers who discovered America some twenty to thirty thousand years ago, as they crossed a land bridge in what is now the bearing straits.  These are the ones whose descendants would hunt to extinction the Mammoth some fifteen thousand years ago.
Ah, but that means there was life in America before these guys came, so they didn't discover America either. Tongue
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Now, as a cat lover I see a helluva lot wrong with that. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies