GOP primary rigging megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:51:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  GOP primary rigging megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: GOP primary rigging megathread  (Read 5140 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

If Kasich runs, what are the chances Mitt Romney endorses him?
History505
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »

If Kasich runs, what are the chances Mitt Romney endorses him?
Definitely not zero.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 11:52:51 PM »

Arizona GOP looking at skipping the primary and having the state party award the delegates themselves:

https://tucson.com/news/local/lawmaker-aims-to-give-trump-free-pass-in-arizona-primary/article_581336b3-bdc1-5dae-838f-c237ef1ba565.html

House Speaker Rusty Bowers tucked a provision into the state budget that allows any political party to opt out of the state’s presidential preference primary simply by sending a notice to the Secretary of State’s Office by Sept. 16. And county election officials would be required to honor that request.

The Mesa Republican conceded to Capitol Media Services that the legislation came at the request of the Arizona Republican Party.

But he said there’s nothing undemocratic about the move. And he denied that Arizonans who are members of the GOP would be denied a choice.

“We don’t feel we’re denying anybody a primary choice,” he said.

“We have a choice,” Bowers continued. “It’s our sitting president of the United States.”
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
« Edited: May 28, 2019, 11:38:12 AM by Joe Republic »

Approval for Donald Trump within the GOP is at least in the 70s. so there is no need for Trump to rig any primaries.

There was no need for Nixon to send a gang of goons to break into the DNC HQ either.  Some crooks just like to ensure their already certain victory by any means necessary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 02:49:13 PM »

Nevada GOP might skip the caucuses and just have the state party leadership vote to award the delegates to Trump:

https://www.apnews.com/2662be247bdb406e80b4158675aa31d9

The Nevada Republican Party next month will consider bypassing its presidential nominating caucuses next year by having governing members endorse President Donald Trump and avoid any primary challenge.

The Nevada GOP’s governing central committee will vote at its September meeting whether to approve the change, allowing the central committee members to then commit the state’s Republican delegates all for the president.

“The Nevada Republican Party is firmly behind President Donald J. Trump’s re-election campaign,” Nevada GOP chair Michael McDonald said in a statement. “We are all in and are excited to get to work on sending President Trump back to the White House for four more years!”
“We don’t elect Presidents by acclamation in America,” Weld said in a Friday statement on the Nevada GOP proposal. “Donald Trump is doing his best to make the Republican Party his own personal club, and this is just one more example. Republicans deserve better.”
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 02:59:55 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2019, 03:05:12 PM by KYWildman »

Kasich is a giant pansy whose name and reputation should be tarnished forever for his failure to challenge Trump now.

Approval for Donald Trump within the GOP is at least in the 70s. so there is no need for Trump to rig any primaries.

There was no need for Nixon to send a gang of goons to break into the DNC HQ either.  Some crooks just like to ensure their already certain victory by any means necessary.

It still blows my mind that the GOP did not cease to exist as a political entity after that. Jimmy Carter should have won all 50 states by a record landslide margin of like 50 points. The Republican Party should have been wiped off the map right then and there. The fact that it wasn’t, and indeed soon emerged stronger than ever, was the first sign of how f—ked we were. Frankly I can never trust anyone who ever voted GOP after Watergate clearly exposed the depths of their corruption and depravity for all to see. Then as if that wasn’t bad enough, we had Iran-Contra, a child rapist as Speaker of the House, Florida 2000 and Iraq, and now all things Trump. The idea that anyone could look at all that and say “Yep, these people represent my values” absolutely blows my mind. I guess I’m just not warped or stupid enough to understand how that’s even humanly possible.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »

Kasich is a giant pansy whose name and reputation should be tarnished forever for his failure to challenge Trump now.

There was no need for Nixon to send a gang of goons to break into the DNC HQ either.  Some crooks just like to ensure their already certain victory by any means necessary.

It still blows my mind that the GOP did not cease to exist as a political entity after that. Jimmy Carter should have won all 50 states by a record landslide margin of like 50 points. The Republican Party should have been wiped off the map right then and there. The fact that it wasn’t, and indeed soon emerged stronger than ever, was the first sign of how f—ked we were. Frankly I can never trust anyone who ever voted GOP after Watergate clearly exposed the depths of their corruption and depravity for all to see. Then as if that wasn’t bad enough, we had Iran-Contra, a child rapist as Speaker of the House, Florida 2000 and Iraq, and now all things Trump. The idea that anyone could look at all that and say “Yep, these people represent my values” absolutely blows my mind. I guess I’m just not warped or stupid enough to understand how that’s even humanly possible.

People blamed Nixon personally, not the party.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 07:59:09 PM »

Kasich lost my vote forever when he turned his back on Kavanaugh. There is no appetite among the GOP for him to run.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 02:04:09 AM »

People blamed Nixon personally, not the party.

Jerry Ford was also a decent and honest man.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 02:24:32 AM »

I'm still waiting RNC members to send each other e-mails after the primary ends about how irritating Weld is for not dropping out.

Everyone knows that's how the pros rig a primary.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »

The South Carolina GOP Executive Committee will decide on Sept. 7th whether the state will have a primary next year:

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/note-to-mark-sanford-sc-republicans-overwhelmingly-say-don-t/article_3fe1594e-bece-11e9-9aa4-87269cddae38.html

Interestingly, that's a few days after the Labor Day self-imposed deadlines that Mark Sanford and Joe Walsh have given themselves for deciding whether to run for the nomination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »

The South Carolina GOP Executive Committee will decide on Sept. 7th whether the state will have a primary next year:

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/note-to-mark-sanford-sc-republicans-overwhelmingly-say-don-t/article_3fe1594e-bece-11e9-9aa4-87269cddae38.html

Interestingly, that's a few days after the Labor Day self-imposed deadlines that Mark Sanford and Joe Walsh have given themselves for deciding whether to run for the nomination.

Interestingly, it looks like not only will the South Carolina GOP decide on Sept. 7th whether to go ahead with a primary or not, but the Nevada GOP will make the same determination about their caucus on the very same day:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/nevada/nevada-gop-may-use-poll-to-endorse-trump-not-caucus-1816702/

If neither Nevada nor South Carolina hold a vote on delegation on the GOP side, then the GOP primary race will go Iowa-New Hampshire-then a few weeks break before Super Tuesday.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »

Cultists are incredibly powerful.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2019, 08:34:33 PM »

Cultists are incredibly powerful.
Republicans are always more loyal to incumbents especially with trumps ability to rally them up
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »

Yeah, the "muh Trump primary" stuff is getting old already. Literally nobody besides the media gives a flaming sh**t about Bill Weld or Joe Walsh.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2019, 10:07:26 AM »

This story suggests that the SC GOP is very unlikely to vote to hold a primary:

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/sc-republicans-holding-a-presidential-primary-on-trump-don-t/article_14d68438-c5c0-11e9-ae2f-934d6155d08f.html

Again, we'll find out for sure for both NV and SC on Sept. 7th.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 06:18:06 AM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/republicans-cancel-primaries-trump-challengers-1483126

Four states are poised to cancel their 2020 GOP presidential primaries and caucuses, a move that would cut off oxygen to Donald Trump’s long-shot primary challengers.

Republican parties in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas are expected to finalize the cancellations in meetings this weekend, according to three GOP officials who are familiar with the plans.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/republicans-cancel-primaries-trump-challengers-1483126

Four states are poised to cancel their 2020 GOP presidential primaries and caucuses, a move that would cut off oxygen to Donald Trump’s long-shot primary challengers.

Republican parties in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas are expected to finalize the cancellations in meetings this weekend, according to three GOP officials who are familiar with the plans.

This seems like it should have it's own thread. This is pretty big news.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 08:42:54 AM »

Too bad they can't shut down the whole election and declare Mr. Drumpf prez4life.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »

Hopefully Kasich runs and sends the GOP down in flames into an age of prosperity.

There is absolutely no one who could ever rescue the GOP from Trump or Trumpism

Eventually most Republicans will disavow Trump, and claim they never really supported him. That time is at least ten years after he leaves office, however.

Meanwhile, if Trump is not the nominee, the Republicans are guaranteed to lose. Party officials conspiring to wreck his nomination might as well just vote Democrat.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2019, 05:57:26 PM »

Too bad they can't shut down the whole election and declare Mr. Drumpf prez4life.

Don't give them ideas! They will probably try.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:50 PM »

Reminder that both Nevada and South Carolina state parties are meeting tomorrow (Saturday), and will apparently make a decision about whether or not to hold a primary/caucus in their respective states.  Looks like Nevada GOP's meeting runs until 5pm Pacific Time:

https://nevadagop.org/events/2019-09-07/

So I guess we'll have an answer by then.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 11:41:29 PM »

Trump is now "The Establishment".  That's the end result of a successful hostile takeover of any organization.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 04:07:04 AM »

Not sure why primaries would be cancelled, but unless we go into a major recession (not a mere temporary downturn) and stay in one, Trump has no chance of being primaried. Particularly as neither Walsh or Weld make a compelling choice for an alternative, and anyone who believes so is deluding themselves.

Sanford I can actually see being the most legitimate of the 3 if he decides to run, but very few voters truly care about deficits and unfunded liabilities.  People making parallels to Ford's and Carter's primary challengers need to realize this:  Reagan was a charismatic and popular 2 term governor of a large state, and Ted Kennedy was a charismatic and popular 2 term senator of a large state.  Who among the big names in the GOP come anything close to that and would also consider primaring Trump?  Kasich would be the closest, but isn't nearly as popular as Reagan 76 or Kennedy 80.  Nikki Haley is still backing the administration.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies